Schools

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Re: Schools

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:14 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:55 pm
On the evidence of the last few years what basis is there for trusting/having faith in this government? They've stumbled from one disaster to another, all the time lying and trying to spin the facts to hide their failures.
Says a man who shallows the media.

Something in the country changed during Brexit. Probably because Remainers were so cock sure they were going to win. They'd spun the doom and gloom, victory was a shoe in.
There's been election defeats before, and referendum defeats. It's normal for the losers to be unhappy, i would have been if I'd lost, but this was different. There is a deep seated hatred that has gripped the country from those who lost. They can dislike Boris and the Tories, just as I disliked Corbyn and despaired for Labour. But this hatred is so deep rooted, its a passion for so many especially in the media. That hatred blocks out everything. The people who feel it laugh at all the Boris jokes on all the game shows, cheer all the petty sniping from the interviewers on telly, and the interviewers play up to it and get more outrageous. They jump on any perceived failing, such as Dominic Cummings and scream like Banshees for his head, whilst the calm cool head of the senior Police Officer says it was minor.
The problem is when you hate something so passionately, you can't see it objectively. Everytime Boris lips move, he's lying. He never gets given the benefit of the doubt. He never gets given the chance to show whether he is right or wrong. The haters aren't interested, and the media keep chucking bones for them to suck on. They say hatred is blind, well in this case its definitely true.
I would say I feel sorry for you, but in this case you are making the whole country suffer, I feel sorry for all of us.
This user liked this post: Top Claret

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:40 pm

A government full of ministers who continue to lie. So proud Colburn.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:54 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:14 pm
The reason people are obsessed with Boris lying all the time is because he lies all the time.
He was sacked as a journalist for lying, making up quotes to be exact but lies, sacked as a minister twice for making stuff up and being incompetent, lied to David Cameron about backing remain, lied about the £365m for the NHS on the bus, Cummings has now openly admitted he knew this would never be feasible and lied to his wife when he was busy spunking out that many kids he doesn’t know how many he has.
As PM he is lying to the British public about wanting a deal. After every EU/UK exit meeting the EU come out shaking their heads and say they are just making it more difficult to get an agreement.
The handling of the pandemic from day 1 has been atrocious. 2 weeks later than the rest of Europe locking down and how many lives has that cost? Lied about PPE, lied about testing(saying there were over 100k daily tests but counting the nose and throat swabs separately), lied about moving patients out of hospitals into care homes untested(the biggest source of deaths in care homes). There are so many more and now they have stopped publishing the daily figures they are so shocking. As well as stopping the scientists coming to the podium because they were talking sense.
You carry on in your blinkered tory Utopia.
These 3 users liked this post: fatboy47 longsidepies Swizzlestick

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:56 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:49 pm
I could be pedantic and heartless and say its working out for the 80 million who haven't died from Corona Virus, thats right 80 million. I feel for anyone who's lost a loved one or friend, and if they or someone they know is in a vulnerable group, keep taking the precautions, but the fact is apart from the disruption to our daily lives, this pandemic has had little to no effect on our lives.
They say a quarter of a million have been infected, that leaves almost 80 million again that haven't.
How many of quarter million have been asymptotic, no signs of anything, how many have had very minor ailments.
Of the poor souls who have lost their lives, what proportion had underlying health issues as a major contributing factor.
Only 2 children in the whole of the United Kingdom. We lose more children every year to traffic accidents but we haven't banned the car yet.
Yes we need to follow the guidelines, but there is nothing to be frightened of in getting the country back to work and the children back to school. Stop listening to the doom and gloom peddlers and focus on the facts, 6 months in and almost 80 million people havent been infected.
Have you just made up these numbers?

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:59 pm

aggi wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:56 pm
Numbers don’t matter aggi. Just console yourself that this government are protecting the ‘majority’ of the country. Let’s all be thankful for this absolute shower of ****.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:02 am

80 million??

'this pandemic has had little to no effect on our lives'
So is everything better, just the same or perhaps worse than it was 3 months ago?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:06 am

Holy sh-it it’s hard to believe the utter crap that is posted on here sometimes.
Presumably the 80m is referring to another country ? Maybe Germany ?

huw.Y.WattfromWare

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:02 am

01B2E30F-54DA-49DA-A805-B5174306F0B6.jpeg
01B2E30F-54DA-49DA-A805-B5174306F0B6.jpeg (154.87 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
But don’t let facts get in the way of a good argument.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:41 am

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:02 am
01B2E30F-54DA-49DA-A805-B5174306F0B6.jpeg

But don’t let facts get in the way of a good argument.
He was including the 14,000,000 illegal immigrants who came on before we took back control of our borders.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:43 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:14 pm
Says a man who shallows the media.

Something in the country changed during Brexit. Probably because Remainers were so cock sure they were going to win. They'd spun the doom and gloom, victory was a shoe in.
There's been election defeats before, and referendum defeats. It's normal for the losers to be unhappy, i would have been if I'd lost, but this was different. There is a deep seated hatred that has gripped the country from those who lost. They can dislike Boris and the Tories, just as I disliked Corbyn and despaired for Labour. But this hatred is so deep rooted, its a passion for so many especially in the media. That hatred blocks out everything. The people who feel it laugh at all the Boris jokes on all the game shows, cheer all the petty sniping from the interviewers on telly, and the interviewers play up to it and get more outrageous. They jump on any perceived failing, such as Dominic Cummings and scream like Banshees for his head, whilst the calm cool head of the senior Police Officer says it was minor.
The problem is when you hate something so passionately, you can't see it objectively. Everytime Boris lips move, he's lying. He never gets given the benefit of the doubt. He never gets given the chance to show whether he is right or wrong. The haters aren't interested, and the media keep chucking bones for them to suck on. They say hatred is blind, well in this case its definitely true.
I would say I feel sorry for you, but in this case you are making the whole country suffer, I feel sorry for all of us.
Johnson should never have become prime minister. Had the right wing press done their job and scrutinised his failures and shined light on his shortcomings, nobody would have voted for him. Instead they protected him from negative stories, and carefully fostered his image. There’s an absolute glut of evidence for this. The day after a damning Panorama report, the front pages are filled with the McCanns. Where the press fall short is they can’t actually do Johnson’s job for him, so he makes himself look like an idiot at PMQs, and however much you spin things, there’s no question the UK has been very badly led during this crisis. It’s unsurprising that once you get out of the rightwing bubble, there are people mocking Johnson, and that his approval ratings have fallen through the floor.
This user liked this post: huw.Y.WattfromWare

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:05 am

Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:54 pm
The reason people are obsessed with Boris lying all the time is because he lies all the time.
He was sacked as a journalist for lying, making up quotes to be exact but lies, sacked as a minister twice for making stuff up and being incompetent, lied to David Cameron about backing remain, lied about the £365m for the NHS on the bus, Cummings has now openly admitted he knew this would never be feasible and lied to his wife when he was busy spunking out that many kids he doesn’t know how many he has.
As PM he is lying to the British public about wanting a deal. After every EU/UK exit meeting the EU come out shaking their heads and say they are just making it more difficult to get an agreement.
The handling of the pandemic from day 1 has been atrocious. 2 weeks later than the rest of Europe locking down and how many lives has that cost? Lied about PPE, lied about testing(saying there were over 100k daily tests but counting the nose and throat swabs separately), lied about moving patients out of hospitals into care homes untested(the biggest source of deaths in care homes). There are so many more and now they have stopped publishing the daily figures they are so shocking. As well as stopping the scientists coming to the podium because they were talking sense.
You carry on in your blinkered tory Utopia.
Nobody lies all the time, not even you. I don't doubt he's told lies in the past, so has every ****** sat in the HOC. It seems some peoples lies are less tolerable than others. Whether you like him or not, you cant ignore him, and that is what you are doing, everytime he appears on the Telly and you start screeching so loud you can't hear a word he says. How can you tell if he's lying when you haven't heard a word hes said for 2 years.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:07 am

aggi wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:56 pm
I must admit I don't have them to the decimal point, but can you tell me how many people haven't contracted Covid 19 in the last 6 months.........

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:07 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:05 am
Nobody lies all the time, not even you. I don't doubt he's told lies in the past, so has every ****** sat in the HOC. It seems some peoples lies are less tolerable than others. Whether you like him or not, you cant ignore him, and that is what you are doing, everytime he appears on the Telly and you start screeching so loud you can't hear a word he says. How can you tell if he's lying when you haven't heard a word hes said for 2 years.
His appearances on telly are few and far between these days. It's not really a case of ignoring him, more like he's become anonymous.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:17 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:43 am
Johnson should never have become prime minister. Had the right wing press done their job and scrutinised his failures and shined light on his shortcomings, nobody would have voted for him. Instead they protected him from negative stories, and carefully fostered his image. There’s an absolute glut of evidence for this. The day after a damning Panorama report, the front pages are filled with the McCanns. Where the press fall short is they can’t actually do Johnson’s job for him, so he makes himself look like an idiot at PMQs, and however much you spin things, there’s no question the UK has been very badly led during this crisis. It’s unsurprising that once you get out of the rightwing bubble, there are people mocking Johnson, and that his approval ratings have fallen through the floor.
whatever your take on Boris, I'm not interested, I'm not here to discuss Boris as a human being, I've never met the man. Its about getting this country back to normal. I can only judge Boris on what I've seen since he became leader, and I can't see any fault. I see a media determined to undermine him, determined to hold this country back, a media spinning negativity to strike fear into the population. There is nothing to fear from Covid 19, unless you are at risk it is nothing but an inconvenience. We should be able as a country, to get back to normal, and still maintain measures to protect those comparatively few who are at risk. Carry on hating Boris if it makes you feel good, but if he says wash your hands listen to him. If he says wear a mask listen to him, if he says send your kids back to school listen to him. Don't let your hatred blind you to doing what is right.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:04 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:17 am
whatever your take on Boris, I'm not interested, I'm not here to discuss Boris as a human being, I've never met the man. Its about getting this country back to normal. I can only judge Boris on what I've seen since he became leader, and I can't see any fault. I see a media determined to undermine him, determined to hold this country back, a media spinning negativity to strike fear into the population. There is nothing to fear from Covid 19, unless you are at risk it is nothing but an inconvenience. We should be able as a country, to get back to normal, and still maintain measures to protect those comparatively few who are at risk. Carry on hating Boris if it makes you feel good, but if he says wash your hands listen to him. If he says wear a mask listen to him, if he says send your kids back to school listen to him. Don't let your hatred blind you to doing what is right.
He told us all to carry on as normal in March. That worked well. Politics has almost become as tribal as football these days when ‘your team’ can do no wrong despite the evidence laid out in front of you. Their abject failures have cost thousands of families the lives of their loved ones.

I’m sure if this was a Labour government managing this pandemic in exactly the same way you’d be patting them on the back as well?

huw.Y.WattfromWare

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:22 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
I can only judge Boris on what I've seen since he became leader, and I can't see any fault.
I know he got you the brexit you so passionately craved but ever since you have thought the sun shines out of his arse. You couldn’t be more wrong. Take the blinkers off and judge him. You say, above, that I don’t listen to him when the truth is that I do listen to him and he is so obviously a fraud. You defended him on Cummings when even the right wing press, including the fawning DMail, were calling him out. Where is he by the way? In hiding because as Starmer has proved at PMQs when a professional asks him professional, factual questions he is dead in the water.
I remember you defending Tony Blair when I told you what an Ahole he was. Nobody in history has ever gone from one political extreme to the other over 1 ridiculous issue as quickly as you. Sleep well.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:37 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
I can only judge Boris on what I've seen since he became leader, and I can't see any fault.
Wow. That's probably where the debate should end if you actually believe that.
Even his own supporters could come up with a list the length of your arm.
But how about this for starters:
Deliberately shaking hands with people, (contrary to his own and medical advice), thus contracting the virus, and therefore:
Putting his own life at risk, infecting others, putting extra strain on the NHS, being hospitalised, and thus being unable to do the job he was elected to do.
This isn't a one off since it mirrors the carefree / careless attitude, lack of commonsense and poor judgement that he has displayed throughout his life.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

aggi

Post by aggi » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:46 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:07 am
I must admit I don't have them to the decimal point, but can you tell me how many people haven't contracted Covid 19 in the last 6 months.........
I'm not expecting it to the nearest decimal point but maybe the nearest million. I don't really know what your 80m figure is. If you're trying to talk about UK population you're about 15m out, that's a pretty big figure.

Similarly, your 250k estimate for who has had the virus seems incredibly low. By most accepted estimates you're probably 4 or 5 million out.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:49 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:07 am
Collateral damage then for a pandemic that is just an 'inconvenience'. Presumably you do check what you have written before you post it.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:56 am

Are there stats for how many people haven't done something?

How many people have never gone to the moon, for example, is there an actual statistic?

How many people haven't died in the history of the world.

How many people aren't members of the royal family.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:11 am

Regarding how many people haven't contracted Covid-19, as I posted yesterday, that's been calculated as being 93%.

That 7% of England have had it - I don't think that includes the rest of the UK.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:25 am

Just wondering what qualities Colburn believes Johnson has displayed so far in his brief time as PM and what qualities/skills he has overall that should get us in anticipatory mood for the remainder of his tenure. Over to you.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:25 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:04 am
He told us all to carry on as normal in March. That worked well. Politics has almost become as tribal as football these days when ‘your team’ can do no wrong despite the evidence laid out in front of you. Their abject failures have cost thousands of families the lives of their loved ones.

I’m sure if this was a Labour government managing this pandemic in exactly the same way you’d be patting them on the back as well?
I'd disagree with that; politics has gone way past football. You only have to read this board after a defeat to know there are plenty of fans ready to criticise the players/manager/board/pies.

Some people appear to be far more loyal to a political party than their football team, which seems odd to me.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:27 am

It’s refreshing when a new fruit loop emerges on the board.

Colburn - what’s your intellectual viewpoint on the holocaust ? 50 million Jews survived without a scratch ?

aggi

Post by aggi » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:32 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:56 am
Are there stats for how many people haven't done something?

How many people have never gone to the moon, for example, is there an actual statistic?

How many people haven't died in the history of the world.

How many people aren't members of the royal family.
108bn

8bn

108bn

To the nearest billion.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:46 am

nil_desperandum wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:37 am
Wow. That's probably where the debate should end if you actually believe that.
Even his own supporters could come up with a list the length of your arm.
But how about this for starters:
Deliberately shaking hands with people, (contrary to his own and medical advice), thus contracting the virus, and therefore:
Putting his own life at risk, infecting others, putting extra strain on the NHS, being hospitalised, and thus being unable to do the job he was elected to do.
This isn't a one off since it mirrors the carefree / careless attitude, lack of commonsense and poor judgement that he has displayed throughout his life.
Is that how he got the virus? Or have you just guessed?

huw.Y.WattfromWare

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:47 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:05 am
Here is his latest. Food hygiene standards and this was a promise.
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... I.facebook
This user liked this post: AndrewJB

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:14 pm

Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:22 am
I know he got you the brexit you so passionately craved but ever since you have thought the sun shines out of his arse. You couldn’t be more wrong. Take the blinkers off and judge him. You say, above, that I don’t listen to him when the truth is that I do listen to him and he is so obviously a fraud. You defended him on Cummings when even the right wing press, including the fawning DMail, were calling him out. Where is he by the way? In hiding because as Starmer has proved at PMQs when a professional asks him professional, factual questions he is dead in the water.
I remember you defending Tony Blair when I told you what an Ahole he was. Nobody in history has ever gone from one political extreme to the other over 1 ridiculous issue as quickly as you. Sleep well.
I sleep fine , it's all the frightened rabbits that don't.
He was right to stand by Cummings it was a mountain out of a mole hill. Yet another distraction to muddy the waters. Why do you not accept the Police's assertion that If he did anything wrong it was minor. Are the Police lying or does it just not suit the agenda to believe them.
As for Starmer, he wouldn't sack his own MPs for blatant anti semitism , yet says he would have sacked Cummings immediately.
At the end of the day you are letting your anger over Brexit cloud everything.
Was Boris lying when he said wash your hands for 20 secs. Was he lying when he said we should comply with social distancing. Was he lying when he put the country in lockdown. We are posting on a thread about opening schools, and getting the country back on course to normality, the only things that matter are what he is saying about Covid 19. He should be judged on that alone. I'm not asking anybody to like him but as i said to Andrew stop letting that anger and hate stop you from using reason. Is he right or wrong about getting the country back on track. You might not agree with him but that doesn't mean he's lying.

huw.Y.WattfromWare

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:24 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:14 pm
I.
So now you are putting the Corbyn anti-semitism row on to Starmer.
Boris put Britain on lockdown two weeks after Europe that was the start of Britains problems. Everything that has happened since is because of that ill-conceived decision. Whilst the rest of Europe is now rapidly getting back to normal. The death figures here are still high enough that they fudge and smudge them. As they did last week when they announced at the podium they had gone up by 111 but the following days full release had gone up by over 600.
Have you read my link above about food hygiene? Or is it all lies to you?
This is not just from me. Read back through the replies you have had see how many agree with you. Or is that a conspiracy?

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:29 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:49 am
Collateral damage then for a pandemic that is just an 'inconvenience'. Presumably you do check what you have written before you post it.
normally not always.
I dont pretend the lives that are lost dont matter, and I never said that any deaths were inconvenient, but this lockdown has become that. As the daily numbers drop it is time to get things back.
When you look at the figures the percentage of people who haven't even caught Covid are huge. The vast majority of people who have caught it have come through fine. Those who haven't have suffered underlying health problems. The body can only fight on so many fronts at once, for some Covid was one front too many. That doesn't mean they died of Covid 19 anymore than they died of one of their other ailments .
We still need to protect those who are in the at risk group, but i don't believe its necessary to keep the country locked down in order to do that. Open the country up, but follow the guidelines. If we all do that then nobody need be at risk.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:33 pm

aggi wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:46 am
I'm not expecting it to the nearest decimal point but maybe the nearest million. I don't really know what your 80m figure is. If you're trying to talk about UK population you're about 15m out, that's a pretty big figure.

Similarly, your 250k estimate for who has had the virus seems incredibly low. By most accepted estimates you're probably 4 or 5 million out.
I hope you're right and I'm wrong. That would mean of the 4 or 5 million that have had it, only 40,000 have died, and nearly everyone of them with underlying health issues. Even more reason to get back to normality.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:38 pm

17E153E2-83F8-4C68-B399-1C5460FB7B9A.jpeg
17E153E2-83F8-4C68-B399-1C5460FB7B9A.jpeg (11.65 KiB) Viewed 1402 times

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:14 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
“Media determined to undermine him and hold the country back...” - pass me the sick bag!

If in a thousand years humans still live on earth, they’ll look back on this curious time for English speaking people’s, and wonder exactly what drugs we’ve taken to so blind us to reality that we picked bozos for leaders.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:29 pm

You did say,Colburn that covid 19 was 'an inconvenience'. Perhaps you might wish to define what your idea of an inconvenience is. Mine would be perhaps having to stand on a bus journey partway because all the seats have been taken.
'Open the country up but follow the guidelines'

Do you mean follow them.to the letter or.maybe make allowances for some people at.times?
Your posts are so contradictory it's difficult to believe it's the same person writing them.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:43 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:43 am
It’s unsurprising that once you get out of the rightwing bubble, there are people mocking Johnson, and that his approval ratings have fallen through the floor.
To be fair, there are quite a lot of people so convinced that they are right and there is no other valid opinion that they mock everybody. They don't look at Johnson and think that he has done some things wrong; they see him as doing everything wrong unless it was exactly what they would have done. They don't see two options, one of which they think better than the other; they see two options, one right and one wrong, and they have no respect at all for the person who is "wrong".

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:44 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:46 am
Is that how he got the virus? Or have you just guessed?
Obviously it's impossible to prove beyond doubt how anybody contracts an illness, but it's more than just a wild guess, and if he didn't contract covid by shaking hands with people then you'd have to come up with a list of other occasions when he placed himself at risk. (As you imply, he's such a buffoon that there were probably others).
But in any event, it's irrelevant to the point I was making, which is that he went against his own advice and that of medical experts in going round in a carefree manner shaking hands in a casual, carefree manner with all and sundry at a time when we were being told to wash hands, avoid contact etc
It's hardly behaviour that inspires confidence in his ability or leadership.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:04 pm

dsr wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:43 pm
To be fair, there are quite a lot of people so convinced that they are right and there is no other valid opinion that they mock everybody. They don't look at Johnson and think that he has done some things wrong; they see him as doing everything wrong unless it was exactly what they would have done. They don't see two options, one of which they think better than the other; they see two options, one right and one wrong, and they have no respect at all for the person who is "wrong".
The loudest and most uncompromising voices mostly seem to think Johnson has done a good job.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:24 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:44 pm
Obviously it's impossible to prove beyond doubt how anybody contracts an illness, but it's more than just a wild guess, and if he didn't contract covid by shaking hands with people then you'd have to come up with a list of other occasions when he placed himself at risk. (As you imply, he's such a buffoon that there were probably others).
But in any event, it's irrelevant to the point I was making, which is that he went against his own advice and that of medical experts in going round in a carefree manner shaking hands in a casual, carefree manner with all and sundry at a time when we were being told to wash hands, avoid contact etc
It's hardly behaviour that inspires confidence in his ability or leadership.
I reckon shaking hands with front line NHS staff might be a tiny clue as to how he got it.
It was even dumber than Trump telling the nation to wear masks and then saying they were not right for great kings and queens and presidents like him.
Tbf to Bojo at least he did not prescribe us all a bottle of Dettol...see it’s easy to give him credit where credit is due.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:25 pm

It's been shown the shaking hands with NHS staff was too far before his illness to have caused it....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 30231.html

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:29 pm

Still waiting for Johnson's leadership qualities displayed so far or any we have to look forward to in the future.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:13 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:25 pm
It's been shown the shaking hands with NHS staff was too far before his illness to have caused it....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 30231.html
The report that you link doesn't particularly prove this, though I would agree that it is unlikely he picked it up on March 3rd :

Boris Johnson said three weeks before his Covid-19 diagnosis that he was "shaking hands with everybody," including coronavirus patients, and would continue to do so — despite scientific advice warning against the greeting.

“I was at a hospital the other night where I think there were actually a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody, you’ll be pleased to know, and I continue to shake hands,” Mr Johnson said.
(March 3rd)

So presumably he continued to shake hands beyond the 3rd, in fact later in the article it refers to him trying to shake hands on March 9th, so one assumes he was regularly doing it at least up to that point.
"Although the prime minister’s hospital visit was too long ago for it to have caused his infection, Mr Johnson seemed to be struggling to remember to avoid handshakes days later.
At a Commonwealth Day service on 9 March, he was filmed attempting to shake hands with a bishop at Westminster Abbey before stopping himself after remembering health advice.

Additionally to this however, Johnson TESTED POSITIVE on Friday March 27th, but he'd been showing symptoms for a while before this, so no one will ever know how long he had actually had it. Let's say that he never shook hands again after March 9th his positive test was only 17 days after this, and he could easily have been carrying it for a week or so before major symptoms manifested themselves.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:31 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:13 pm

The report that you link doesn't particularly prove this, though I would agree that it is unlikely he picked it up on March 3rd :

(March 3rd)

So presumably he continued to shake hands beyond the 3rd, in fact later in the article it refers to him trying to shake hands on March 9th, so one assumes he was regularly doing it at least up to that point.
"Although the prime minister’s hospital visit was too long ago for it to have caused his infection, Mr Johnson seemed to be struggling to remember to avoid handshakes days later.
At a Commonwealth Day service on 9 March, he was filmed attempting to shake hands with a bishop at Westminster Abbey before stopping himself after remembering health advice.

Additionally to this however, Johnson TESTED POSITIVE on Friday March 27th, but he'd been showing symptoms for a while before this, so no one will ever know how long he had actually had it. Let's say that he never shook hands again after March 9th his positive test was only 17 days after this, and he could easily have been carrying it for a week or so before major symptoms manifested themselves.
It was in reply to a poster who suggested that's where he'd caught it, almost stating it as a fact.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:54 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:29 pm
You did say,Colburn that covid 19 was 'an inconvenience'. Perhaps you might wish to define what your idea of an inconvenience is. Mine would be perhaps having to stand on a bus journey partway because all the seats have been taken.
'Open the country up but follow the guidelines'

Do you mean follow them.to the letter or.maybe make allowances for some people at.times?
Your posts are so contradictory it's difficult to believe it's the same person writing them.
The lockdown is an inconvenience, Covid 19 is the root of it.
I agreed with the lockdown because like everyone else, I didn't know enough about it to argue anything else. 4 months in and i think its right we start getting back to normal. Those 4 months have taught me that comparatively few people need fear Covid 19, if only 250,000 have caught it in a population of 68 million, that's for aggi, then it is controllable.
If the real figure of people who have contracted it is 4 or 5 million, then its obvious that to the vast majority of sufferers its nothing but a minor ailment. Exactly how many of those are asymptomatic is anybodies guess, but it has to be a hell of a lot. There is no need to protect the country from this virus, we just need to protect the at risk, and if everyone would just follow the guidelines in place, that should be simple. I have 2 very young grandsons who I haven't been able to hug or kiss for 4 months, as many on this board will know, its heartbreaking. We've all had to do without, no cinemas, no meals out, no pub, and worse of all no football. No walks up the Dale's, no catch up with my best mate, no holidays. If I thought it necessary to continue for the sake of the country, or even for the sake of those comparatively few at risk, I would, but it isn't necessary. We could all get our lives back, take the proper precautions as advised by the government and there is no reason the R value should rise.

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I have children, grandchildren, elderly relatives, many young relatives. Why would you think I'd argue for easing the lockdown if I thought for one second it could harm them. It's not my fault that so many people are panicked, so many people would rather believe the negativity of the media, than the positivity of the government. It's not my fault that people have died, because I've stuck to the guidelines, whilst thousands of others haven't. As more and more people are ignoring the advice anyway, surely it makes sense to ease the lockdown but make sure controls are in place. Its a much safer environment for kids at school, because the procedures there can be controlled. I'm back at work and its safe, because we've put in measures to control the environment. Keeping the UK closed for business doesn't serve any of us any good.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:58 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:31 pm
It was in reply to a poster who suggested that's where he'd caught it, almost stating it as a fact.
No, I think that was me. (And as you say I "almost" stated it as a fact).
But my point wasn't actually about when or where he caught it, but about the fact the he totally recklessly and irresponsibly continued to flout his own advice, and that of the scientists by not only shaking hands but bragging about it. This was in response to another poster who was claiming that Johnson had got "everything " correct since he became PM
(Anyway, I don't think we really disagree about the main facts, timeline etc., so let's leave it there)

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:03 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:58 pm
No, I think that was me. (And as you say I "almost" stated it as a fact).
But my point wasn't actually about when or where he caught it, but about the fact the he totally recklessly and irresponsibly continued to flout his own advice, and that of the scientists by not only shaking hands but bragging about it. This was in response to another poster who was claiming that Johnson had got "everything " correct since he became PM
(Anyway, I don't think we really disagree about the main facts, timeline etc., so let's leave it there)
It certainly wasn't you, unless you have two log ins :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by cblantfanclub » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:14 pm

All MPs and peers have been asked to come up with solutions to the social care crisis, after Boris Johnson admitted his claim to have a plan was untrue.

In an extraordinary letter, Matt Hancock, the health secretary, has asked them all to “share their views” – with the aim of kickstarting talks in May.

The move comes after the prime minister acknowledged he had no proposals, despite claiming – as he entered No 10 last summer – to have a “clear plan to give every older person the dignity and security they deserve”.
Indi 06/03/20

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:51 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:31 pm
What a sad little individual you are.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:41 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:54 pm
The lockdown is an inconvenience, Covid 19 is the root of it.
I agreed with the lockdown because like everyone else, I didn't know enough about it to argue anything else. 4 months in and i think its right we start getting back to normal. Those 4 months have taught me that comparatively few people need fear Covid 19, if only 250,000 have caught it in a population of 68 million, that's for aggi, then it is controllable.
If the real figure of people who have contracted it is 4 or 5 million, then its obvious that to the vast majority of sufferers its nothing but a minor ailment. Exactly how many of those are asymptomatic is anybodies guess, but it has to be a hell of a lot. There is no need to protect the country from this virus, we just need to protect the at risk, and if everyone would just follow the guidelines in place, that should be simple. I have 2 very young grandsons who I haven't been able to hug or kiss for 4 months, as many on this board will know, its heartbreaking. We've all had to do without, no cinemas, no meals out, no pub, and worse of all no football. No walks up the Dale's, no catch up with my best mate, no holidays. If I thought it necessary to continue for the sake of the country, or even for the sake of those comparatively few at risk, I would, but it isn't necessary. We could all get our lives back, take the proper precautions as advised by the government and there is no reason the R value should rise.

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I have children, grandchildren, elderly relatives, many young relatives. Why would you think I'd argue for easing the lockdown if I thought for one second it could harm them. It's not my fault that so many people are panicked, so many people would rather believe the negativity of the media, than the positivity of the government. It's not my fault that people have died, because I've stuck to the guidelines, whilst thousands of others haven't. As more and more people are ignoring the advice anyway, surely it makes sense to ease the lockdown but make sure controls are in place. Its a much safer environment for kids at school, because the procedures there can be controlled. I'm back at work and its safe, because we've put in measures to control the environment. Keeping the UK closed for business doesn't serve any of us any good.
Getting back to normal? Inconvenience? People panicked? Not my fault people have died? Christ.

Anyway as long as you and your family are ok......

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:55 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:41 pm
Getting back to normal? Inconvenience? People panicked? Not my fault people have died? Christ.

Anyway as long as you and your family are ok......
We are, but thanks for asking

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:01 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:55 pm
We are, but thanks for asking
No worries. Hopefully the inconvenience will end soon for you all.