Luke Chadwick

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Luke Chadwick

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 17, 2020 2:46 pm

Just read this in the Athletic

The saddest thing, perhaps, when Luke Chadwick reflects on his years at Manchester United and remembers the cruel jokes, week after week, that shaped and disfigured his life is when he makes the point that “it should have been the best time of my life”.

He was 18 when he made his debut for Sir Alex Ferguson’s team in 1999. They were the European champions, winners of an unprecedented Treble the previous season and Chadwick was another product from the club’s conveyor belt of young talent. Life should have been wonderful.

Instead, Chadwick became so worn down by the jokes about his appearance — the punchline, every time, being that he must have been hit with the ugly stick — that by the time he had reached the age of 20, he felt too anxious, too wrought and unhappy, to go out sometimes. Even a shopping trip would feel like an ordeal. Or something as routine as going to a restaurant. Mentally, he often just wanted to shut himself away.

He can also remember Nick Hancock, one of his main tormentors, approaching him a few years later when Chadwick was playing for Stoke City in the division below. Hancock was a Stoke supporter and the presenter of They Think It’s All Over, the primetime BBC comedy panel game that had poked fun at Chadwick’s looks for longer than he would care to remember.

“He never mentioned the show but he did ask for my autograph,” Chadwick says. “He wanted me to sign his son’s programme. I thought he might say something like, ‘Oh, sorry about that time on TV’ but, no, nothing like that.”

It probably says a lot about Chadwick’s nature that he obliged with the request and that, despite everything, there is no appetite on his part to pick a fight with Gary Lineker or any of the regulars from the same show. One of them, Rory McGrath, lives a few miles away in Cambridge. “It’s not as though I see him and think, ‘There’s that *******’,” Chadwick says. “I don’t feel any bad will to any of them.”

But there are glimpses of hurt. “One of the disappointments was that, as a kid, I remember watching England in the World Cup and Lineker was one of the heroes of the team. So to hear him saying negative stuff about me, even if it was something silly about the way I looked, was sad for me.”

Perhaps you saw Chadwick’s post on Twitter last week when, new to social media, he disclosed something that he had kept to himself for the best part of 20 years.

As a young footballer the abuse I received about my appearance affected my mental health a lot. The feeling of embarrassment stopped me talking about how I felt. Although uncomfortable at times, it’s so important we talk about our feelings to get through the tough times.

Chadwick is 39 now, a father to two teenage boys, and comfortable enough in his own skin to talk about his experiences. He hopes that by going public in a discussion about mental health, it might help to give others the confidence to speak out. His tweet has been liked 17,000 times and there have been 1,100 retweets. “I’m not a huge fan of fame, or people knowing who I am, but when I see the messages I’ve had from people saying, ‘Thanks for doing this’ then sharing their stories, I can’t tell you how good that has made me feel. I never expected that, really.”

For a long time, though, Chadwick can remember feeling shamed into silence because of the jarring occasions when he heard “people saying I was ugly and that my teeth stuck out”.

Ferguson, for one, had no idea that his player was so troubled. Many of Chadwick’s former team-mates will be finding out for the first time. And yet nobody at the time — not at the club, or in the media, and certainly not the people who were targeting him for a quick laugh — seemed to consider it was wrong, or unfair, and tried to stop it happening.

Opposition fans picked up on it. Football humour can be brutal sometimes and Chadwick grew so accustomed to hearing that he was ugly, or that his looks were an affront to other people, he tried to close himself off.

“I was always so anxious about going out,” he says. “Even if people didn’t say anything to me, I was worried they were thinking that about me or that someone might say something. All I would really do was go training, then come home and stay in my flat. And if anyone asked me if I was all right, it was always, ‘Yeah yeah, I’m fine, it’s just what I want to do’.

“I wouldn’t say it affected me on the pitch or that it was the reason why I didn’t have an incredible career at Manchester United. It was more how it affected me off the pitch. I would be anxious going out. Even going to the Trafford (shopping) Centre, it was always in the back of my mind that someone might say something negative to me or that people would be looking at me a certain way.

“Everything was about my appearance and the way I looked off the pitch. I just found it really hard to deal with. I was a really quiet, shy boy. I didn’t speak much anyway and it really stunted my growth as a person.”

For that, it comes back to a television show that ran for 11 years on the BBC and, at its peak, attracted 12 million viewers.

“They Think It’s All Over was such a hugely popular show back then,” Chadwick says. “When they started bringing it (my looks) up, they were bringing me to the attention of millions of people.

“I remember the first time and someone texting me to say, ‘Nice appearance on They Think It’s All Over’. I was so shocked because I was quite naive back then, even if I was playing occasionally for Manchester United. I’d been brought up in a little village south of Cambridge where nothing really happened. I never realised I was famous and that people knew who I was.

“I looked at that text and I thought, ‘Oh no, what’s this?’. Then more people started talking about it. I watched it the next week and I could see people laughing at these jokes about me. It was obviously funny to other people but, to me, it didn’t feel like that. It was on every Friday and then the next day, when the game was on, it was fresh in people’s minds.

“After that, I would dread every Friday. I wasn’t a hugely confident guy anyway and this just made it worse. I used to half-watch it, hoping and praying that they would stop. But they never did. It just carried on and on. Because it was silly and childish, if it had happened once, I don’t think it would have been that much of a problem. It was the continuation every single week that really got to me. They would bring me up every week.

“I have always asked myself whether I should have tried to speak to them (the BBC) about it. As a 19 or 20-year-old boy, would it have been possible to speak to someone at the BBC and stop them talking about me? Or would they have carried on anyway? You’d like to think it would have stopped. But I don’t know. At the time, it was just accepted.”

Chadwick was a winger with the speed and directness that encouraged Ferguson to bring him into the first-team squad as an understudy for David Beckham. Chadwick became a regular for the England Under-21s. He won a league championship medal and has found it amusing — “not sure if it’s a compliment or insult” — to find various messages such as “Chadwick 1 Steven Gerrard 0” being sent to him by United’s followers.

Yet his memories will always be tarnished by the fact that, unbeknown to anybody else at Old Trafford, he was often in a dark place.

“I should have worn a brace as a child but the thing I was most scared of in the world was the dentist,” he says. “I would do whatever I could to escape going to the dentist’s. I’d get away with it and get away with it, and by the time I got to Manchester United, I had a problem with my jaw protruding back. It was affecting how my jaw would lock. I had to have (surgery) or it would have meant problems as I got older. The jaw had to be moved forward to make the bite come together and, after that, I wore a brace for a couple of years.”

He became, in turn, an easy target. “Every time you get off the bus as a Manchester United player, you expect a bit of abuse. It wasn’t just me. But there were two occasions I really remember. One was at Bolton where we had to walk quite a long way and a couple of lads were following me, abusing me the whole way. The other time was at Fulham and, again, because I was so shy I just looked at the floor. I was thinking, ‘What am I going to do? Shall I say something back?’. I’d stay silent and carry on walking.

“If they knew how much it affected me, I’d like to think most people are decent enough they would have known not to do it. But I never really talked to anyone. I remember a couple of the younger lads laughing about it. I’d laugh along, too, because I didn’t really know what to say. There was no way in the world I would have ever been able to speak about it with the manager. My parents would ask me if I was OK and I’d just say, ‘Yeah’ — but looking back now, as a parent myself, it must have been horrible for them.”

The encouraging part is that football clubs have much more of a support network these days and there are counsellors and mental health experts available. Footballers know, on the whole, that it is easier to share their feelings. That was not the case for Chadwick, though he also makes the point he did not seek help either. “It was a different world. In terms of mental health, it was more a case of ‘Pull yourself together and get on with it’. It’s completely wrong but that was probably my attitude about feeling down. Nowadays, there is so much more acceptance.”

It is also unthinkable, in the modern world, that a popular television show could get away with this line of humour, over and again, picking on a player who admits he did not have the “emotional intelligence” to cope with all the ridicule.

Maybe you can also remember the treatment of Jason Lee, as the “pineapple head,” on the Fantasy Football League show hosted by Frank Skinner and David Baddiel. Lee, then at Nottingham Forest, has spoken about seeing the funny side, even though it involved Baddiel painting his skin black to imitate him. Yet the player in question has also described it in the past as a “form of bullying” and said that it hurt his family.

“As a child, I’d watch that show,” Chadwick says. “I would chuckle along but now, having gone through it, I completely understand how he felt. What he went through and what I went through — there are a lot of similarities.”

Chadwick retired from playing in 2015 and was given a standing ovation from the Old Trafford crowd in his final match, playing for Cambridge United in an FA Cup tie against the 20-time league champions.

He has coached in Cambridge’s academy and is now involved in the Football Fun Factory, where the emphasis is on positivity and enjoyment. He sounds happy. He tells his story with no bitterness. The bad times, he says, have helped him “build a lot of character and resilience” and the response on Twitter has convinced him it was the right thing to do.

“I wanted to put out a serious message, particularly bearing in mind the situation we are all in at the moment,” he says. “It’s the lockdown that has given me time to think about everything. I’m sure there are millions of people who are really struggling, so the message was to be open and speak about your problems. I can’t change what has already happened but if I can get a positive message across, using my experiences, it might help other people.”
These 7 users liked this post: jrtod61 claretfern djt2006 KateR Chester Perry Claret Toni Juan Tanamera

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2757 times
Has Liked: 4324 times

Re: Luke Chadwick

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:53 pm

Particularly sad story , made worse when those politically correct oil paintings, Lineker and McGrath , feel able to join in the mocking.
These 4 users liked this post: jrtod61 claretfern Burnley Ace Stayingup

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 354 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun May 17, 2020 2:59 pm

Lineker to be fair is renowned for having massive ears.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun May 17, 2020 3:13 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:59 pm
Lineker to be fair is renowned for having massive ears.
:lol:

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Sun May 17, 2020 3:21 pm

I really don’t know why he had to endure all that. He never looked that bad to me. I can think of umpteen current premier league players who really are ugly to look at.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun May 17, 2020 3:29 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:53 pm
Particularly sad story , made worse when those politically correct oil paintings, Lineker and McGrath , feel able to join in the mocking.
McGrath politically correct?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun May 17, 2020 3:30 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:29 pm
McGrath politically correct?
Its all relative :D

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1522 times

Post by chekhov » Sun May 17, 2020 3:39 pm

dermotdermot wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:21 pm
I really don’t know why he had to endure all that. He never looked that bad to me. I can think of umpteen current premier league players who really are ugly to look at.
I think somehow you’re missing the point.
This user liked this post: groove

thomaspaine
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by thomaspaine » Sun May 17, 2020 4:09 pm

Wish I had half his football talent.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun May 17, 2020 4:11 pm

Good for him speaking out. Nothing wrong with his appearance now or in the past. Everyone looks different and people can’t help the way they look unless it’s to do with fashion or over indulging in food. Makes you wonder how Nick Hancock made a career as he did. As for Linkeker he’s not the best as a MOTD presenter he’s just OK. Neither Hancock or Lineker are exactly oil paintings but it shouldn’t really matter.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sun May 17, 2020 4:13 pm

One thing I don't miss at the moment, needless neanderthal abuse hurled at players, including our own, and officials.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Roosterbooster

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun May 17, 2020 4:14 pm

Not enough said about this type of stuff. Good on him to come out and say it like it is. We need more current players to start talking more and more about certain subjects and just in general tbh. But they won’t because they know the “working class” football crowds don’t like realising what **** a lot of them really are. You know the ones, those that base their opinion on what colour t shirt a player wears. They have to put up with all kinds of ****. Mainly off people who “love” football. It’s odd. Really odd.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Sun May 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Well done Luke Chadwick for speaking out. I really hope Lineaker, McGrath, Hancock and co hear about this and read it. I also hope they at full of regret and looking back are thoroughly ashamed of themselves, they should have the common decency as human beings to personally contact Luke and apologise to him.
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies KateR Juan Tanamera

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun May 17, 2020 5:16 pm

The kind of abuse Chadwick and Crouch received is far worse than calling out the colour of a persons skin
This user liked this post: groove

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sun May 17, 2020 5:37 pm

He was on the undr the cosh podcast a few weeks ago and it was a great read. Seems such a decent and down to earth lad which is testament to how he could have been with his start in football.

Says his dream was to just play for Cambridge as a kid and he ended up at Man U ..... wasn’t bothered about the money or the fame and truly just enjoyed playing football. He should have gone onto much greater things than he ended up doing football wise.

Squarepusher
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by Squarepusher » Sun May 17, 2020 5:39 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:16 pm
The kind of abuse Chadwick and Crouch received is far worse than calling out the colour of a persons skin
Why?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:55 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Must try harder.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 17, 2020 6:06 pm

bfccrazy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:37 pm
He was on the undr the cosh podcast a few weeks ago and it was a great read. Seems such a decent and down to earth lad which is testament to how he could have been with his start in football.

Says his dream was to just play for Cambridge as a kid and he ended up at Man U ..... wasn’t bothered about the money or the fame and truly just enjoyed playing football. He should have gone onto much greater things than he ended up doing football wise.
He did get his dream in the end by playing for Cambridge before hanging up his boots.

Enty1974
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Enty1974 » Sun May 17, 2020 6:07 pm

Mcgrath is a scruffy **** head
Last edited by Enty1974 on Mon May 18, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Sun May 17, 2020 6:17 pm

He came across as a really nice bloke on the Undr The Cosh podcast, considering what he'd been through, but never mentioned the personal abuse he'd suffered.

He enjoyed his time at Burnley even though it didn't work out for him. He was injured early in his career at United which lost him some pace, which I wasn't aware of. Really comical that he played in a title winning United side but his ambition was to play for Cambridge.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun May 17, 2020 6:31 pm

Enty1974 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:07 pm
Mcgrath isna scruffy **** head
'Isna' or 'is a' your typo's really don't help Enty 🤣

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Sun May 17, 2020 6:39 pm

He got plenty of stick on the old BFC forums during his loan spell for us too.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun May 17, 2020 6:42 pm

There are plenty of "it's only banter" merchants on this board sorry to say

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun May 17, 2020 6:44 pm

Exactly.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun May 17, 2020 6:51 pm

As I recall he had a bit of a spotty face, nothing more than that. I didn't realise he'd taken stick off those TV w@nkers

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Sun May 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Squarepusher wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:39 pm
Why?
Because it is against a race and not an individual

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Sun May 17, 2020 7:05 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:55 pm
Must try harder.
Why must I try harder?

WazzaClaret
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by WazzaClaret » Sun May 17, 2020 7:37 pm

I know what you mean TC. Obviously we all know racism is the absolute pits but I suppose an individual can shrug it off as it isn't completely down to them. However mocking Luke because of his appearence is completely personal and must have been horrible to be on the end of.
This user liked this post: Top Claret

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:38 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Really?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:04 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:05 pm
Why must I try harder?
It's clear you're just on a wind up

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 770 times
Has Liked: 10055 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Sun May 17, 2020 8:08 pm

rob63 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:38 pm
Really?
That seems to be Top Claret's opinion.
Imagine that eh?

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:40 pm

Juan Tanamera wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:08 pm
That seems to be Top Claret's opinion.
Imagine that eh?
He needs to get back on his jam jar.......oh no, he can't can he? :lol:

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun May 17, 2020 8:57 pm

How Hancock, McGrath and Lineker can mock somebody about their looks is beyond me.

They’re a trio of ugly *****.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon May 18, 2020 10:21 am

beddie wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:12 pm
Well done Luke Chadwick for speaking out. I really hope Lineaker, McGrath, Hancock and co hear about this and read it. I also hope they at full of regret and looking back are thoroughly ashamed of themselves, they should have the common decency as human beings to personally contact Luke and apologise to him.
Hancock been on BBC Breakfast this morning, along with LC and Jason Lee and made a full apology.
Better late than never, I suppose.

Claretitus
Been Liked: 331 times
Has Liked: 207 times

Post by Claretitus » Mon May 18, 2020 11:01 am

ElectroClaret wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:21 am
[quote=beddie post_id=<a href="tel:1276517">1276517</a> time=<a href="tel:1589731958">1589731958</a> user_id=459]
Hancock been on BBC Breakfast this morning, along with LC and Jason Lee and made a full apology.
[/quote]
And to be fair to Hancock, he did look pretty ashamed of himself, and full of remorse.
He also looked a prick too, with that dyed blonde hair!
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:46 pm

Surely a message for lots of people here and possibly me too because although I cannot recall me ever engaging in that kind of behavior I tolerated racial abuse at football matches when I should have stopped going in protest. I am ashamed at the racial chanting that I witnessed and never spoke out.
It is one of the reasons I abhor swearing and blasphemy when it appears on here although I am pleased to note that the latter is a lot less frequent than it used to be. Are Christians not allowed to support their team and read football posts in peace? Is it really right that the need to swear is paramount to ones' enjoyment of a game and contributions on here?
These 2 users liked this post: Im_not_Robbie_Blake edenclaret

boyyanno
Been Liked: 513 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Mon May 18, 2020 5:54 pm

claret59 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:46 pm
Surely a message for lots of people here and possibly me too because although I cannot recall me ever engaging in that kind of behavior I tolerated racial abuse at football matches when I should have stopped going in protest. I am ashamed at the racial chanting that I witnessed and never spoke out.
It is one of the reasons I abhor swearing and blasphemy when it appears on here although I am pleased to note that the latter is a lot less frequent than it used to be. Are Christians not allowed to support their team and read football posts in peace? Is it really right that the need to swear is paramount to ones' enjoyment of a game and contributions on here?
I'm sure everyone can agree that there is no place for racial abuse in football. Blasphemy though? How is that an issue for you?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon May 18, 2020 6:25 pm

Sadly, it is life. There is always someone singled out, just to deflect from someone else. Everyone has probably had a 'ribbing' from 'pals', at one time or another. The difficulty becomes when it is repeated, time and again.

That is bullying and debilitating for the individual, with nowhere to go.
This user liked this post: ecc

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon May 18, 2020 8:06 pm

Claretitus wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:01 am
And to be fair to Hancock, he did look pretty ashamed of himself, and full of remorse.
[/quote]

In really don't get this apology thing. So Hancock and his chums belittle someone to the point that it wrecks his career and "sorry" puts it all right?
I don't think so.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Mon May 18, 2020 8:36 pm

I've just seen the video of Luke Chadwick...I have either forgot or probably was not aware of the stupid personal comments... but having seen it now it was appalling.
Luke came across as one hell of a human being. I also thought Jason Lee came across well too in his contribution.

Of course the bbc reports dept listed every team Luke Chadwick played for. ....I was almost thinking he'd played for us until I watched that.

As for Nick Hancock, he too was brave enough to face the camera, showed remorse and apologised...in the circumstances he handled it well.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Mon May 18, 2020 8:39 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:06 pm
In really don't get this apology thing. So Hancock and his chums belittle someone to the point that it wrecks his career and "sorry" puts it all right?
I don't think so.
[/quote]

Aside from having a time machine there's little else to be done.

Funny formatting. Don't know what happened there!
Last edited by duncandisorderly on Mon May 18, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Mon May 18, 2020 8:40 pm

A very sad story. When I was at school I was in a bullying group of this other poor kid. After I left school when I was about 19 I heard that the boy was in hospital after a suicide attempt. I felt terrible, so I made contact with him, he was very forgiving, he told me that his lack of confidence has prevented him from getting work. So I got him a job in the industry I was training for with a manager who I know would be kind. We are both 63 now and still friends even though we are 300 miles apart. I am do pleased that I could help him get his life on track. I have never made fun of, or ridiculed anyone since.
These 5 users liked this post: boatshed bill Pimlico_Claret beddie edenclaret Blackrod

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon May 18, 2020 8:52 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:39 pm
I don't think so.
Aside from having a time machine there's little else to be done.

[/quote]

How I see it, the apology (sincere or not) almost legitimises the disgusting behaviour.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Mon May 18, 2020 8:55 pm

I have a couple of good friends who are Cambridge United STH - they loved Luke Chadwick and were absolutely made-up that he wanted to play for them at that level - he got tremendous support from the fans there apparently - so good for him that his playing career ended on a high note playing for the team he supported - hopefully that helped to balance out some of what he had to endure earlier in his career

He's a thoroughly decent and grounded bloke too - so I'm told

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 pm

I watched the whole Hancock 'apology' and I don't think I heard him say the word 'sorry'.

I also think he was clever in positioning his camera above himself, so it looked down on him. This made him appear more 'belittled' and therefore apologetic.

I think he was hardly contrite.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue May 19, 2020 9:17 am

Alanstevensonsgloves wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 pm
I watched the whole Hancock 'apology' and I don't think I heard him say the word 'sorry'.

I also think he was clever in positioning his camera above himself, so it looked down on him. This made him appear more 'belittled' and therefore apologetic.

I think he was hardly contrite.
I think that those having a go at Hancock and co need to be certain that they weren’t laughing along with these jokes back in the day. I don’t remember the specifics but I used to watch and enjoy ‘They think it’s all over’ and the Skinner and Baddiel thing where they had a go at Jason Lee so I suspect I was laughing along with the joke.

It’s easy to have a go at the people making the jokes, but everyone laughing along was complicit. I even remember the Jason Lee pineapple chant be sung on the Turf when he played there.

Apologise was the least, and most, Hancock could do.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue May 19, 2020 9:27 am

martin_p wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:17 am
I even remember the Jason Lee pineapple chant be sung on the Turf when he played there.
Sorry but the Jason Lee thing was funny. Luke Chadwick can’t do anything about his looks and didn’t deserve the stick he got. JLs was a lifestyle decision. He chose to look like a pineapple and was informed of the fact. He got the notoriety he wanted out of it. Could even have been told by his agent to keep it going?

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue May 19, 2020 9:58 am

boyyanno wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:54 pm
I'm sure everyone can agree that there is no place for racial abuse in football. Blasphemy though? How is that an issue for you?
Because he is a Christian. It says so in the post. There might be things that present an issue for you and not others. That’s OK too.

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Tue May 19, 2020 6:10 pm

martin_p wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:17 am
I think that those having a go at Hancock and co need to be certain that they weren’t laughing along with these jokes back in the day. I don’t remember the specifics but I used to watch and enjoy ‘They think it’s all over’ and the Skinner and Baddiel thing where they had a go at Jason Lee so I suspect I was laughing along with the joke.

It’s easy to have a go at the people making the jokes, but everyone laughing along was complicit. I even remember the Jason Lee pineapple chant be sung on the Turf when he played there.

Apologise was the least, and most, Hancock could do.

Hi Martin, my comment was not on reference to what Hancock said on They Think.... I was pointing out that I didn't think his apology was that sincere.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue May 19, 2020 6:21 pm

Alanstevensonsgloves wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:10 pm
Hi Martin, my comment was not on reference to what Hancock said on They Think.... I was pointing out that I didn't think his apology was that sincere.
Sorry, my post wasn’t intended to have a go at you or what you said, it wasn’t really a reply to anyone as such, just making a point. Think I clicked on reply as force of habit!