Clough steps aside to help club

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Clough steps aside to help club

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 18, 2020 3:31 pm

Nigel Clough and two of his coaches are leaving Burton Albion to support the club financially with Jake Buxton, currently a player, taking over as manager.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2974 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Re: Clough steps aside to help club

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon May 18, 2020 3:37 pm

Did they have to leave, could they not have just suspended their salaries ?

Seems a little strange to me, someone is not telling the whole truth imo.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon May 18, 2020 3:38 pm

Seems an odd move if it’s purely to help the club. Surely there are other things that could have been done if it is simply an issue of finances.
This user liked this post: Funkydrummer

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 18, 2020 3:44 pm

Chairman Ben Robinson said: “Nigel Clough has achieved phenomenal success with the club during two spells going back 22 years. During this time, the club has enjoyed the greatest period in its history including two years in the Championship, which for a club of our stature is a remarkable achievement.

“Unfortunately, the coronavirus pandemic is having a dramatic impact on all football clubs, meaning we have to make difficult financial decisions going forward in order to safeguard the club and ensure it still exists for the supporters and the benefit of the community for generations to come. At present we have no idea when football will be safe to re-start and whether we will be able to play in front of crowds or behind closed doors, which brings a high degree of financial uncertainty.

“It’s therefore with a heavy heart that after talks with Nigel, Gary and Simon we have agreed that their departure will help us meet these challenges. I want to thank them for all their hard work and dedication over their long association with the club."

Nigel Clough said: “It has been an incredible two decades for Burton Albion and it has been a pleasure to share those times with everyone and I want to say a big thank you to all the players, coaches, staff and supporters for being a massive part of that.

“From winning the Unibond, to gaining promotion to the Championship and then against all the odds surviving for another year was beyond all our wildest dreams.

"I have worked with the Chairman since 1998 and we have enjoyed a very long and successful working relationship and I want to thank him for all his support and to wish him and the football club all the best for the future.

“It’s therefore with great sadness that Gary, Simon and I have decided to step away. We are now looking forward to our next challenge in football wherever and whenever that is.

“We couldn’t leave the club in better hands than with Jake, who as captain has shown himself to be a respected leader on and off the pitch. It’s a great opportunity for him and there is no better club at which to make your start in management.

“We hope that by stepping away it helps the club with the financial pressures in these unprecedented times, and that it will also help the club secure the jobs of as many of the staff as possible going forward. We are sure Jake will benefit from the experience and continuity of having as many of the current backroom staff as possible supporting him.”

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon May 18, 2020 3:47 pm

Is Jake doing it for nothing ?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 18, 2020 3:49 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:47 pm
Is Jake doing it for nothing ?
No but he's not someone new coming in - already under contract there. Luton did the same a couple of weeks ago, they currently have no manager and aren't looking for one short term.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10238 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon May 18, 2020 3:56 pm

I'm afraid drastic and dramatic measures like this will become increasingly common in the lower leagues.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1487 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon May 18, 2020 4:22 pm

The future for all clubs below the Premier League is getting increasingly bleak

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon May 18, 2020 8:14 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:22 pm
The future for all clubs below the Premier League is getting increasingly bleak
It's amazing to think that it's widely considered that fans aren't seen as important to clubs as they might be.

Maybe that opinion and logic might just be revised after this episode. ;)

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon May 18, 2020 8:52 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:14 pm
It's amazing to think that it's widely considered that fans aren't seen as important to clubs as they might be.

Maybe that opinion and logic might just be revised after this episode. ;)
I think that's regards the premiership.maybe....till the tv money runs out.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 3187 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Mon May 18, 2020 9:42 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:44 pm
Chairman Ben Robinson said: “Nigel Clough has achieved phenomenal success with the club during two spells going back 22 years. During this time, the club has enjoyed the greatest period in its history including two years in the Championship, which for a club of our stature is a remarkable achievement.

“Unfortunately, the coronavirus pandemic is having a dramatic impact on all football clubs, meaning we have to make difficult financial decisions going forward in order to safeguard the club and ensure it still exists for the supporters and the benefit of the community for generations to come. At present we have no idea when football will be safe to re-start and whether we will be able to play in front of crowds or behind closed doors, which brings a high degree of financial uncertainty.

“It’s therefore with a heavy heart that after talks with Nigel, Gary and Simon we have agreed that their departure will help us meet these challenges. I want to thank them for all their hard work and dedication over their long association with the club."

Nigel Clough said: “It has been an incredible two decades for Burton Albion and it has been a pleasure to share those times with everyone and I want to say a big thank you to all the players, coaches, staff and supporters for being a massive part of that.

“From winning the Unibond, to gaining promotion to the Championship and then against all the odds surviving for another year was beyond all our wildest dreams.

"I have worked with the Chairman since 1998 and we have enjoyed a very long and successful working relationship and I want to thank him for all his support and to wish him and the football club all the best for the future.

“It’s therefore with great sadness that Gary, Simon and I have decided to step away. We are now looking forward to our next challenge in football wherever and whenever that is.

“We couldn’t leave the club in better hands than with Jake, who as captain has shown himself to be a respected leader on and off the pitch. It’s a great opportunity for him and there is no better club at which to make your start in management.

“We hope that by stepping away it helps the club with the financial pressures in these unprecedented times, and that it will also help the club secure the jobs of as many of the staff as possible going forward. We are sure Jake will benefit from the experience and continuity of having as many of the current backroom staff as possible supporting him.”
It all seems very amicable & reasonable.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10238 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon May 18, 2020 9:44 pm

It is, BAFC are a very close, community-driven club.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1830 times
Has Liked: 2624 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:46 pm

Well run club and the Chairman is a smashing guy so has obviously had to think about this decision with the long-standing relationship he has had with Nigel Clough. I hope that it all works out for them.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie