Kenny Sansom

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Kenny Sansom

Post by tiger76 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:05 pm

:o no-one's mentioned this.

Kenny Sansom: Ex-Arsenal & England defender in hospital

Former England and Arsenal defender Kenny Sansom is ill in hospital.

The 61-year-old does not have coronavirus, according to a tweet from his Twitter account.

Sansom, who won 86 caps for England and played 394 games for Arsenal, has had well-publicised problems with alcoholism and gambling.

In 2015, he revealed he had contemplated suicide after becoming homeless because of his problems.

A tweet read: "He is being well cared for and does not have Covid-19. Kenny's family and close friends kindly ask the media to respect his and their privacy, plus that of the healthcare workers treating Kenny."

Sansom, who played in the 1982 and 1986 World Cups, made his debut at 16 for Crystal Palace in 1975, before going on to play for Arsenal, Newcastle, QPR and Coventry.

Arsenal sent a message of support to Sansom's family in response to the news, tweeting: "We're thinking of you all right now. Sending our love and support to Kenny and those close to him."

If internet rumours are correct he was allegedly battered in a drunken row.Hope he pulls through and sorts his affairs out.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2918 times

Re: Kenny Sansom

Post by Steve1956 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:13 pm

I feel sorry for KS,hes troubled by the demon drink,which leads to all sorts of related problems good luck to the fella but i reckon hes passed the point of no return unfortunately.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1750 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Tue May 19, 2020 9:17 pm

Really sad tale. Even by 70s & 80s standards, it sounds like the drinking culture at Arsenal for a decade or so was on another level.

Some of the tales Merson & Adams have told about the states they got into are frightening.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Tue May 19, 2020 11:08 pm

by agreenwood » Tue May 19, 2020 8:17 pm

Really sad tale. Even by 70s & 80s standards, it sounds like the drinking culture at Arsenal for a decade or so was on another level.

Some of the tales Merson & Adams have told about the states they got into are frightening.
I think you can add Ray Parlour to that list too

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8733 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed May 20, 2020 1:58 am

England's undisputed left back, for so long.

Get well.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed May 20, 2020 6:34 am

Anyone watching Harry's Heroes? Merson seems to be making a big effort to keep himself clean. But I cannot believe what a mess Neil Ruddock is. Same age as me, former professional athlete, now weighs 25 stone and requires a pacemaker.

In once scene he is telling how much his life is at risk, the next he is sat with jugs of beer in front of him and a bra on his head. Merson was sat in his room drinking a brew....

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5083 times
Has Liked: 6890 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed May 20, 2020 7:22 am

Merson comes across well, I hope he keeps strong and sorts his life out.
This user liked this post: paulatky

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Wed May 20, 2020 7:41 am

Ruddock once featured on "Can't pay, well take it away" for non payment of a vets bill of quite a few
thousand quid.

He wasn't at home initially, and that barby doll partner of his was a real foul mouthed piece of work, throwing
all manner of things at the bailiffs. Clearly, she had also 'phoned Ruddock who promptly turned up in a big BMW
acting all Billy big boll0cks with threats galore and the inevitable "do you know who I am ?".

To which the answer came back, nope and we dont really care. All we want is the payment of this debt and costs.
That went down like a fart in a spacesuit.

Obnoxious oaf doesn't begin to describe him.
This user liked this post: paulatky

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed May 20, 2020 8:49 am

Samson was a great player. One of the few Arsenal players I liked. I remember the Ruddock episode and he didn’t come across well at all. As for the ‘demon drink’ referred to above it’s not. It’s the demon in the person who can’t control it. There are plenty who can ( as with gambling).
These 2 users liked this post: paulatky Quicknick

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed May 20, 2020 9:21 am

Sansom has been even a worse case than Gazza in that he got to a level of sleeping on benches /almost full time tramp. He’s been in an awful state for years it’s very sad .
The “ booze culture “ from the 60’s to their early ish nougties was just a case of young men with money and kudos enjoying themselves like anyone else their age,naturally the ones prone to issues will have had em regardless imo. It’s good the games cleaned up though as these salaries don’t justify living it large in public .Such irony that all the big drinkers were at their very best when hard on the booze ! Best , Greaves, Adams, Merson ,Captain Marvel ,Gazza et al

As for Harry’s Heroes not even sure what Ruddock is even doing there apart from being the obnoxious mess he’s always been . Merson ( though a total bellend) really seems to live a daily battle with his demons ,which over the years he seems to be slowly if painfully winning ,good on him .

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed May 20, 2020 12:49 pm

Ruddock was a mess in the first series of this. I couldn't believe that a former professional footballer couldn't manage more than a few minutes on the pitch. I considered at the time, I am a similar age to Ruddock, never been a professional player and not that has been obsessive about physical fitness. But when the last series was on, I could manage a 60 minute training session alongside the junior team I coached and played plenty of minutes with similar aged guys who were doing their FA Coaching badge.

This series he has piled on a load more weight and his drinking seems to be heavier than the last time he was on. Heading for an early grave if he doesn't make significant lifestyle changes......
This user liked this post: Quicknick