Referees

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Referees

Post by conyoviejo » Thu May 21, 2020 8:10 am

Ive not seen much about their thoughts about the game returning and if they want any rule changes .Will the players be told to not crowd the ref over controversial decisions made,I'm sure there will be plenty of them as normal.
Then again will the ref book a player for approaching him within the two meter rule and if he does it again then send him off.

It's all Ikram Butts at the moment. ;)

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Re: Referees

Post by Hipper » Thu May 21, 2020 9:02 am

I don't think there is much science to social distancing rules. We employ two metres, some countries use 1.5 metres. I read somewhere the thought was one metre indoors. Two metres was arbitrarily suggested to be a bit safer.

Let's suppose that two metre social distancing rule is based on breathing whilst standing still. You are breathing lightly so that any virus will not be thrown that far. As you start walking or running, clearly, you breath harder and deeper and the throw of virus particles will be greater. Therefore so should the social distancing. I suggest therefore that ten yards would be a reasonable guess as to a safe distancing on a football pitch at Premier League level, but perhaps a greater distance lower down the leagues as fitness levels decline, leading to one hundred yards for a pub football match!

As for referees, they can make their decisions from the seats in the stand like the rest of us do!

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5559 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu May 21, 2020 10:12 am

They should ref games wearing welder's masks

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat May 23, 2020 12:25 am

Just use VAR...

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat May 23, 2020 12:34 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:25 am
Just use VAR...
Just get Hosker...he'll sort the wheat from the chaf...

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat May 23, 2020 1:20 am

Are we measuring social distancing from the mouth or the t-shirt line?
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by UnderSeige » Sat May 23, 2020 10:23 am

Hipper wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:02 am
I don't think there is much science to social distancing rules. We employ two metres, some countries use 1.5 metres. I read somewhere the thought was one metre indoors. Two metres was arbitrarily suggested to be a bit safer.

Let's suppose that two metre social distancing rule is based on breathing whilst standing still. You are breathing lightly so that any virus will not be thrown that far. As you start walking or running, clearly, you breath harder and deeper and the throw of virus particles will be greater. Therefore so should the social distancing. I suggest therefore that ten yards would be a reasonable guess as to a safe distancing on a football pitch at Premier League level, but perhaps a greater distance lower down the leagues as fitness levels decline, leading to one hundred yards for a pub football match!

As for referees, they can make their decisions from the seats in the stand like the rest of us do!
Breathing - 2m
Coughing - 6m
Sneezing - 8m
According to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology - regarded as the worlds leading University.
https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human- ... es-travel/

In the open air, virus particles will be quickly absorbed into the atmosphere. However, if a player has the virus and fronts up to the referee, or another player, in close proximity, he will spread the virus.

A solution to this would be an instant red card for 'violent conduct' and a three match ban for anyone who fronts up to the ref or another player. 'Fronts up' would not include tackles, normal physical contact in the course of play etc.

Approaching the referee, unless the referee beckons a player, will also need to be forbidden. This would also need to be applied to managers who approach the fourth official.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2631 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:56 am

It is reported that if and when professional football resumes in Italy (they are aiming for either 13 or 20 June), players will be required to maintain at all times a distance of 1.5 metres between themselves and the match referee. Which should serve not only to prevent infection, but also to inhibit dissent.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3339 times
Has Liked: 1959 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat May 23, 2020 11:00 am

Could have done with that rule years ago.
This user liked this post: huw.Y.WattfromWare

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5559 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat May 23, 2020 11:51 am

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:56 am
It is reported that if and when professional football resumes in Italy (they are aiming for either 13 or 20 June), players will be required to maintain at all times a distance of 1.5 metres between themselves and the match referee. Which should serve not only to prevent infection, but also to inhibit dissent.
I hope they give the refs a 1.5m electric cattle prod to help enforce it.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat May 23, 2020 1:56 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:56 am
Have you got a link to that Ashington?

It doesn't sound right or I am reading it wrong? Do you mean that the players need to be 1.5m from the ref? It surely isn't the case that they would need to "maintain at all times a distance of 1.5 metres between themselves (each other)".

I think I am just reading it wrong.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:23 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:56 pm

It doesn't sound right or I am reading it wrong? Do you mean that the players need to be 1.5m from the ref? It surely isn't the case that they would need to "maintain at all times a distance of 1.5 metres between themselves (each other)".

I assume it means players keep a distance of 1.5 m from the match officials,it would be :x to have a football game where players maintained more than a meter's distance from each other,why they have to crowd around the ref and sometimes the linesmen i don't know,it's clear intimidation and should be met with yellow cards.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat May 23, 2020 3:28 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:23 pm
I assume it means players keep a distance of 1.5 m from the match officials,it would be :x to have a football game where players maintained more than a meter's distance from each other,why they have to crowd around the ref and sometimes the linesmen i don't know,it's clear intimidation and should be met with yellow cards.
It will be a referees paradise. Players not being able to approach them and no crowd to boo them when they get things wrong. The referee will also need to make every effort to distance himself from the players.

Possibly the players will get more than yellow cards if they crowd the referee in the current circumstances.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2631 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:08 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:56 pm

I was told this by a friend who is an official in Italy and it came from an interpretation that the head of the referees over there was saying that the players should be showing more respect in general and that it had taken the coronavirus to bring it to notice!
Basically it refers to players approaching the officials and showing dissent etc. Obviously, it can't apply to thegame in general because a player or the referee himself could inadvertently bump into each other accidentally.

I have just read your other post and I can assure you that any referee will tell you that they have never felt that they were in paradise when refereeing at any level!

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat May 23, 2020 8:30 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:08 pm
I was told this by a friend who is an official in Italy and it came from an interpretation that the head of the referees over there was saying that the players should be showing more respect in general and that it had taken the coronavirus to bring it to notice!
Basically it refers to players approaching the officials and showing dissent etc. Obviously, it can't apply to thegame in general because a player or the referee himself could inadvertently bump into each other accidentally.

I have just read your other post and I can assure you that any referee will tell you that they have never felt that they were in paradise when refereeing at any level!
Links
"To observe social distancing where possible, during the match it will be forbidden to protest decisions and go within less than 1.5 metres of the referee". https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/Serie ... on/2349511
Other rules include (from same link):
  • "It will be strictly forbidden to spit while on the pitch."
  • Everyone must wear a mask while not in action on the pitch...Managers will only be able to remove their mask to give instructions to his players but in doing so, he must provide the instructions at a distance of at least one and a half metres.
  • No handshakes.
  • The teams will enter the pitch separately.
It looks like they are taking a lead from the Bundesliga. The Premiership will also likely follow suit. Resumption dates (if and when):
  • England: Target date June 13th
  • Spain: Target Date June 8 - June 12
  • Italy: Target Date June 8 - June 12 but "clubs can't agree on whether to resume".
  • France: cancelled.
  • UEFA tournaments: Uncertain and no target date
https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english ... -20-season