Robbie Brady deal extended

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Re: Robbie Brady deal extended

Post by Paul Waine » Thu May 21, 2020 7:08 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:19 pm
Brady

I like Brady and I was gutted when he got injured just as things were falling into place for him. The fact that we have extended his contract is very different from him signing a new contract that runs for more than a year.

It will put us in the same position next year that we are currently facing with Hendrick. Namely, the prospect of losing him on a free transfer. We did exactly the same thing with Westwood, but he has voiced a clear desire to sign a new contract in recent days, which was music to my ears.

I think Brady could still be a good player for us, but if Hendrick doesn't sign a new deal then I would be happy to see us sell him when / if the transfer window opens. The dangerous thing that we are doing with these one year extensions is storing up problems for next year. Problems that I don't think we will have anywhere near enough money to solve.

Player Contracts

Out Of Contract In 2020 - With No Extension Option

Legzdins, Bardsley, Lennon, Hendrick and Koiki ( If I remember correctly ).

Out Of Contract In 2020 - With Extension Option

Hart, Dunne and O'Neill.

Out of Contract In 2021 - With No Extension Option

Brady, Lowton, Westwood, Gudmundsson, Long and Cork.

Recent Accounts

Our current transfer pot is about £40m

Taking out the carry over transfer money from the lucrative sale of Keane and Gray, we made an operational loss of 2m in the last set of accounts. In relation to our recent transfer business the money we have been paying out has exceeded the money we have earned from transfers.

We spent £22m over the course of the last three windows and managed to bring in £12m. In the season prior to that we spent £30m and brought in £7m. So it is highly likely that we will post a deficit on our player trading account next year instead of a surplus, because payments are usually made over a number of years.

Add that to an ongoing operational loss, along with the Corona cost, and a good chunk of that £40m will evaporate. If we bring in replacements this season that will lower what we have to spend next year even more. We could easily find ourselves in a position that requires us to replace six players with nowhere near enough money to do it.

That will require us to sell off some of our crown jewels to fund the major squad overhaul that we seem to be moving towards. If it comes to that the other clubs will look at our accounts, make the obvious deduction and bend us over a barrel. With all the talk about stretching our budget I don't think we have realised that the elastic in our trousers is in very poor shape. It won't take much to snap it, causing our pants to fall down which will expose our bare arse to the world.
Hi Long Time, where do you get £40m from? Don't forget the accounts that were published end March were for the year to 30-June-2019. So, we've had 27 games since then - and Sky/BT will get some money back even if the 2019-20 season is completed and we play all 38 games.

Covid-19 has changed the economics of Premier League - and all other leagues. It is inevitable that this economic downturn will also result in reductions in player wages - not, that major clubs will default on contracts, just that new deals will be at lower numbers. The same will be true of transfer fees, maybe even more so, because club owners should have learnt to be more cautious with the forecasts of future revenues.

We've extended Robbie Brady's contract. That's good. It could equally be so we can sell him, if and when the transfer window opens - and we've held on to the players that we really want to hold on to.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Thu May 21, 2020 7:09 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:00 pm
Good player who has struggled since injury.

In the current climate we aren’t going to be splashing cash. So it’s a calculated gamble. And also bodes well on the club, not just casting him off when times are tougher.

Personally don’t think right now we should be going out spending so need to look after what we have.

Bob on.

I don’t think we’d have kept him had we not been in this position, but it makes sense.

I’m not expecting him to get back to his best though. He’s a confidence player that needs a run of games, and he’s never going to dispose of McNeil in the first team.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu May 21, 2020 7:10 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:53 pm
Makes perfect sense if you ask me. If McNeil picks up an injury we're desperately short of wide options. Revenue will be down because of the situation and I think we can kiss goodbye the idea of paying significant transfer fees for backup players for a few transfer windows. It's not an inspiring move, but it's realistic.
Agree in the current circumstances. However, I do worry that Robbie's head is full of doubts about his undoubted ability. The odds of Jeff staying have just gone up, which is good news too. The next year, at least, will be one of careful decisions and we are the world's best at that.

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Thu May 21, 2020 7:17 pm

I sometimes get the impression certain people think players want to be injured.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 21, 2020 7:35 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:02 pm
I think the last good display I saw from him was almost three years ago away at Bournemouth. He was outstanding that night and that game stays in my memory. Sadly I haven’t seen much from him since. He has had a bad injury I know, however I would question the wisdom in extending his deal for a further 12 months. Having said that, if he does get a run in the team because of injuries to other players, I hope he does well.
He's hardly played since that night at Bournemouth. He got injured in the next game and once fit he found a certain McNeil in his way. He did have a run of three games around Oct/Nov 2018 but that's the only time he's started consecutive games. He's only had around 1,100 minutes of league football since the injury.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 21, 2020 7:36 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:10 pm
The odds of Jeff staying have just gone up, which is good news too.
Not sure why you would assume that

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu May 21, 2020 7:43 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:36 pm
Not sure why you would assume that
I understand that you may have some insider knowledge, but I doubt that a Scottish League Club, even the only one worth going to, is a good option atm.
If I was advising Jeff and we offered say a 3 deal now on less money, I'd say bite their hand off. If any League will survive this mess,it's the PL.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

fanzone
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Thu May 21, 2020 8:03 pm

We must have cash to burn and a sh1te development squad if we are giving Brady more money and space on the bench.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:46 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:43 pm
I understand that you may have some insider knowledge, but I doubt that a Scottish League Club, even the only one worth going to, is a good option atm.
If I was advising Jeff and we offered say a 3 deal now on less money, I'd say bite their hand off. If any League will survive this mess,it's the PL.
Googled Hendrick & Celtic and there's not much recent searches i can only find this from an unverified website.

According to The42, Burnley are likely to activate a one-year option in Robbie Brady’s contract – and Jeff Hendrick is likely to stay put too.

It’s claimed that Burnley have the option to extend Brady’s deal by another year, and are likely to activate that amid rumours over his future.

Brady is out of contract this summer, so it certainly makes sense for Burnley to activate that option and at least retain his value rather than lose him for free.

Hendrick is also set to become a free agent, but his situation is described as being likelier to stay with Burnley than move anywhere else this summer.

The Irish duo have been important players for Sean Dyche over the years, but both have been linked with moves away from Turf Moor at the end of the season – whenever that may be.

TEAMtalk recently noted that a host of clubs are keen to sign the pair on free transfers, with Newcastle United and Celtic allegedly keen on a double deal.

Celtic have history with Brady and Hendrick; they took both players on trial during their time with St Kevin’s Boys, as reported by Lancs Live, and having missed out back then, they may see this as a chance to get them for nothing.

It now seems that Burnley will step in to stop Newcastle or Celtic signing Brady, with Hendrick’s situation likely to head the same way as things stand.

Well they were right on Brady,not that it would have been tough to predict he'd extend,Jeff's a different equation he's not got an extension to trigger so i'm sure he,and no doubt his agent are waiting to see if any attractive offers emerge,it might not just be about wages,Arfield went to Rangers because they offered him long-term security with a 4 year deal,whereas Burnley only offered 2 years.

And if there's a financial knock-on for the EPL,it'll be even worse for the Scottish game,don't forget both Old Firm clubs rely on 50/60k crowds coming in regularly to boost their incomes,even if football returns next season,there's little chance of fans attending north of the border.

https://extra.ie/2020/03/31/sport/socce ... -pay-cuts

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu May 21, 2020 9:02 pm

He was our best player when he got injured and in great form, such a shame. I see the sense in giving him another year, if he doesn't buck up then we will get some sort of fee for him next January (or whenever the winter window will be, probably May!), if he bucks up we offer him a new deal and don't have to fork out 15+ million on a transfer fee - it's up to Robbie now
This user liked this post: Rowls

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Thu May 21, 2020 10:07 pm

Not surprised by this - makes sense. Either we keep a squad player for another year or we try and make a bit of money this summer. With regards to Hendrick, I can't see him staying. There will be suitors, either currently in the division or coming up.

Can see him moving to West Brom if they are promoted this season. Just seems right.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu May 21, 2020 10:20 pm

He was our play maker then, and brilliant with free kicks. Does not get a look in now with McNeil in the team. I think even JBG would be higher up the pecking order to take them now. A sign maybe of his lack of confidence following a serious injury

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Thu May 21, 2020 10:23 pm

That injury in 2017 couldn't have been much worse for a few reasons. He was right on top of his game after Bournemouth away, everything was coming together for him. I maintain that he was a good signing.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu May 21, 2020 11:06 pm

Surprised we’ve extended, to be honest, but worth it if it plays any part in keeping Jeff. What we don’t see is his attitude in training, the role he plays in the squad, etc. What is important is to keep as much of this squad together.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 21, 2020 11:31 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:43 pm
He turned down deals from us although I’m not aware there was ever a real link with any Scottish club. Maybe this current situation will change his mind but I’ve heard nothing to suggest that as yet.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Fri May 22, 2020 6:12 am

claretdj wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:42 pm
Jordan Ibe is available on a free?
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (1.24 MiB) Viewed 2020 times
These 2 users liked this post: Bordeauxclaret Stalbansclaret

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Fri May 22, 2020 7:08 am

The good news is that he’s due a decent game.

His last one was in 2017.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 1037 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Fri May 22, 2020 8:15 am

There will no doubt be a player or two who will have really benefited from this enforced break. Any player with a whack on the knee or ankle that might have swollen up after each game will be raring to go now. Robbie and JBG might fall into that category.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 636 times

Post by Tribesmen » Fri May 22, 2020 8:37 am

Always makes me smile with fans , one person thinks Brady is the answer and another thinks he is rotten .

Funny really how we look at things in football .

Jamesy
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 526 times

Post by Jamesy » Fri May 22, 2020 9:30 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:35 pm
He's hardly played since that night at Bournemouth. He got injured in the next game and once fit he found a certain McNeil in his way. He did have a run of three games around Oct/Nov 2018 but that's the only time he's started consecutive games. He's only had around 1,100 minutes of league football since the injury.
Yes I know Tony, and of late he has only featured as a sub for the latter part of games so no real chance to get into his stride. I understand he is cover for if McNeil got injured, perhaps that is what he will be or an impact sub until his contract runs out?

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri May 22, 2020 11:07 am

This proves Hendrick is off to Celtic. 100%

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Fri May 22, 2020 11:25 am

Re. Phil Bardsley; I'd like to see him him given another year. Yes, we could do with a younger rb but I like Bardo. Used sparingly -given his age and lack of overlapping - he does a pretty solid job. Warrior.
These 2 users liked this post: The Enclosure tiger76

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri May 22, 2020 11:29 am

While a pale shadow of his former self,with a good run and confidence he could yet have another decent stint in the 1st X1 imo/super sub role .He can score and he’s our only true set piece man . With Jeff and possibly Lennon off and the terrible injury record of JBG it’s an understandable move .

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Fri May 22, 2020 11:31 am

I like him - good for him and good for the club.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7178 times

Post by Quicknick » Fri May 22, 2020 2:07 pm

So do I, jackmiggins. I'm glad he's staying. And I hope his mate does, too.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Bfcboyo wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:07 am
Really! do you have this weeks winning lottery numbers?Jeff might end up at Celtic,but i wouldn't bet your house on it.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 526 times

Post by Jamesy » Fri May 22, 2020 3:11 pm

Bfcboyo wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:07 am
The landscape has changed significantly in the SPL in recent weeks. Unless Celtic can still offer an attractive signing on fee I don’t think this move would be as appealing to him.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat May 23, 2020 12:21 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:31 pm
He turned down deals from us although I’m not aware there was ever a real link with any Scottish club. Maybe this current situation will change his mind but I’ve heard nothing to suggest that as yet.
In that case we definitely shouldn’t be being held to ransom by him. Especially now.

Lord_Bob
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Lord_Bob » Sat May 23, 2020 4:55 am

Good move. That type of injury takes a loooong time to get over. Give him a pre-season and then we have a really strong left side - Taylor, Brady, McNeill.

So many options. Brady has played left back, also could give McNeill the chance to move inside. Brady or Taylor could play a wing back role. So many options. And we still have Pieters as back up.

Can we work on the right side?

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Robbie Brady

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:09 pm

So the option of an extra year has now been taken up but by who, club or player.
Given so few appearances I can't see this has been automatically triggered from the player's performances (which is usually the case on their side)
And, on the other hand, if actioned by the club, why only this one year option rather than more years if he was thought to be a valued member of the squad
Certainly it could be a short term fix to stop him walking away for nothing this summer but come next year we will be in the same situation as with Hendrick
For me, if we think he is only worth one extra year, now is the time to look at moving him on as part of another incoming deal
We have seen the interest from several clubs in quite a few of the Norwich players after relegation but most will be out of our comfort zone in terms of fees/wages.
SSN reporting that Oliver Skipp may be joining them on loan from Spurs and would certainly get into almost any Championship sides in central midfield so why not offer RB (given his previous history with them) as part of any deal for the likes of McLean who would then cover our shortage of numbers in cm.
Buendia and Hernandez are two other options but I don't see them coming to us if any other Prem clubs put in bids
At the end of the day, we get our numbers up in midfield and get some value for a player who looks likely to walk away for nothing next summer

ClaretTony

Re: Robbie Brady

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:00 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:09 pm
So the option of an extra year has now been taken up but by who, club or player.
Given so few appearances I can't see this has been automatically triggered from the player's performances (which is usually the case on their side)
And, on the other hand, if actioned by the club, why only this one year option rather than more years if he was thought to be a valued member of the squad
Certainly it could be a short term fix to stop him walking away for nothing this summer but come next year we will be in the same situation as with Hendrick
For me, if we think he is only worth one extra year, now is the time to look at moving him on as part of another incoming deal
We have seen the interest from several clubs in quite a few of the Norwich players after relegation but most will be out of our comfort zone in terms of fees/wages.
SSN reporting that Oliver Skipp may be joining them on loan from Spurs and would certainly get into almost any Championship sides in central midfield so why not offer RB (given his previous history with them) as part of any deal for the likes of McLean who would then cover our shortage of numbers in cm.
Buendia and Hernandez are two other options but I don't see them coming to us if any other Prem clubs put in bids
At the end of the day, we get our numbers up in midfield and get some value for a player who looks likely to walk away for nothing next summer
Exactly the same situation with Ashley Westwood who has also signed an extension triggered by the club.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:15 pm

The counter argument to the above is that his last two years would only value him at £5m. We know what he can do when at his best. Either we let him go and layout on a replacement or we keep him on hoping, management know his current level, he returns to what he was before. If it doesn’t work out we’ve only spunked £5m., on a player who knows our system and covers anywhere on the left.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:47 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:00 pm
Exactly the same situation with Ashley Westwood who has also signed an extension triggered by the club.
But there are differences

Most important, Westwood is, at the moment, a first team regular starter therefore contributing much more towards the success of the club whereas Brady just doesn't seem to be anywhere near starting games (unless major injuries happen to others)

I don't know what his wages are, but even costs of around £1.0 - £1.5m could be saved plus we get any of his residual transfer value if he goes as part of any deal

Taking CT's point of contract expiries, add to these two guys the names of Cork, Lowton, JBG, Long and Dunne

Seven players (plus Bardsley) who will all be out of contract next summer

If SD blew his top (allegedly) at MG for this summer's contract negotiations somebody needs to make sure we have defibrillators placed in all accessible areas before next season starts

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:50 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:47 pm
But there are differences

Most important, Westwood is, at the moment, a first team regular starter therefore contributing much more towards the success of the club whereas Brady just doesn't seem to be anywhere near starting games (unless major injuries happen to others)

I don't know what his wages are, but even costs of around £1.0 - £1.5m could be saved plus we get any of his residual transfer value if he goes as part of any deal

Taking CT's point of contract expiries, add to these two guys the names of Cork, Lowton, JBG, Long and Dunne

Seven players (plus Bardsley) who will all be out of contract next summer

If SD blew his top (allegedly) at MG for this summer's contract negotiations somebody needs to make sure we have defibrillators placed in all accessible areas before next season starts
Reading your post there isn’t any difference, two players coming out of contract and two players just getting extensions that were in the club’s favour.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:50 pm

As usual there will be plenty with negatives about this. Hope he can get back to his best form and really make a difference to our attack, Agree with Chester would be delighted if this leads to a change of heart from Hendrick. Two marmite players, working midfielders have always been underrated by Burnley fans.... I’ve been saying so since Phil Mally got it in the neck week in week out... they might not always be pretty but you need them.