The A Word, iPlayer

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

The A Word, iPlayer

Post by Paul Waine » Mon May 25, 2020 1:53 pm

I didn't watch the first series of The A Word. Watched last couple of episodes of the second series. I started watching because I love the Lake District.

I've watched all the third series on iPlayer and I've now caught up with the first series - and will fill in the bits I've missed of the second series next couple of days.

A question: does anyone know exactly where in the Lakes it's supposed to be set. I think the road we see Joe (the young boy) walking along is heading to Honister Pass. Ashness Bridge was briefly in one of the shots - end series 1, while police are searching for the missing child. A river is seen in several scenes. so I'm thinking Borrowdale Valley. Then, on the other hand, in every episode - even first series - there's always someone going to Manchester, often at short notice. I get the impression that Manchester can't be more than a couple of hours drive away, but then, Borrowdale Valley is a good hours drive into the Lake District. I doubt anyone could drive from Borrowdale to Lancaster in 2 hours, never mind Manchester.

I recommend the programme for anyone who hasn't seen it. Welcome views of those who have watched it.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Re: The A Word, iPlayer

Post by beddie » Mon May 25, 2020 2:01 pm

Watched them all, we love the programme. Can't answer all your questions but I just copied this from Wiki.
"Filming took place from October 2015 at locations in the Lake District, including Keswick, Broughton-in-Furness, Coniston, Thirlmere Reservoir, and Birkrigg Cottage in the Newlands Valley, and at The Space Project studios in Manchester."
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Mon May 25, 2020 2:07 pm

beddie wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:01 pm
Watched them all, we love the programme. Can't answer all your questions but I just copied this from Wiki.
"Filming took place from October 2015 at locations in the Lake District, including Keswick, Broughton-in-Furness, Coniston, Thirlmere Reservoir, and Birkrigg Cottage in the Newlands Valley, and at The Space Project studios in Manchester."
Thanks, beddie. We've got holiday booked in August - if hotels are open by then. Some years back, at least 10, I used to walk the Newlands Round, up Catbells, continue up and up again... eventually ended up coming back down to the Newlands Valley. I knew some of the buildings were familiar, but I hadn't been able to place them.

And, I'm putting "popping across" to Manchester in the "poetic license" category.

Jel
Been Liked: 266 times
Has Liked: 1178 times

Post by Jel » Mon May 25, 2020 2:08 pm

I was an extra on the first series. We filmed in Coniston. Only a few brief glimpses of me and my girlfriend but I'm on the high street with my Clarets hat on.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

redwasp
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by redwasp » Mon May 25, 2020 2:18 pm

Yes it's an excellent programme, good to watch. But like Paul says the way they flit backwards and forwards to Manchester is stretching it's credibility.

giveusaB
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by giveusaB » Mon May 25, 2020 2:37 pm

Another yes for the program and also the music used in the series.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Mon May 25, 2020 3:18 pm

redwasp wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:18 pm
Yes it's an excellent programme, good to watch. But like Paul says the way they flit backwards and forwards to Manchester is stretching it's credibility.
Hi redwasp, only people who know/visit the Lakes will have noticed that detail. However, it might mean more visitors to Barley, if "staycationers" from the south are looking for the Lakes no more than a little way from Manchester. :o :( ;)