Advice on getting rid of belly fat?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bribfc
Been Liked: 8 times

Advice on getting rid of belly fat?

Post by Bribfc » Tue May 26, 2020 10:26 pm

Three months since i had a drink, not eating any junk food,drinking three pints of water everyday and walking around 30 mile a week, yet i'm still not losing anything from the waist or the beer belly :D .......Only lost about 4lb so far :cry:
Last edited by Bribfc on Tue May 26, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Re: Advice on getting rid of a belly fat?

Post by Zlatan » Tue May 26, 2020 10:27 pm

I’m also interested (for a friend)

:)
These 6 users liked this post: FactualFrank NewClaret Buxtonclaret bf2k Stalbansclaret Leisure

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: Advice on getting rid of a belly fat?

Post by tim_noone » Tue May 26, 2020 10:35 pm

Bribfc wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:26 pm
Three months since i had a drink, not eating any junk food,drinking three pints of water everyday and walking around 30 mile a week, yet i'm still not losing anything from the waist or the beer belly :D .......Only lost about 4lb so far :cry:
It's a curse..... Cut out Bread would be my answer you do all the exercise and it still wont stop the bloating. I'd cut the bread and pasta.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Re: Advice on getting rid of belly fat?

Post by HunterST_BFC » Tue May 26, 2020 10:36 pm

Squats and sit ups.
Salad and fish. No bread.
Repeat

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue May 26, 2020 10:43 pm

It’ll be the carbs. You might be eating less cakes/choc but if you’re still eating bread, pasta etc then that isn’t going to help towards weight loss. Lots of fish, lean meats etc.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18096 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue May 26, 2020 10:47 pm

Get yourself one of these 😁 I am talking of the mirror 😉
nintchdbpict000295473223.jpg
nintchdbpict000295473223.jpg (103.99 KiB) Viewed 4334 times

https://stylecaster.com/beauty/skinny-mirror/

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 pm

Managed to lose half a stone - ate bread and ate pasta and didn't do a single sit up (apart from getting out of bed), so guess that's around 90 sit ups over 3 months.

Joe14
Been Liked: 249 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:21 pm

Run.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue May 26, 2020 11:34 pm

I’ve had a similar problem & reduced it eventually but if you don’t maintain the changes it just comes back a lot quicker than it disappeared, a balanced diet & more exercise is key, good luck.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6- ... -belly-fat

Jel
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Jel » Tue May 26, 2020 11:39 pm

I render it in a hot griddle pan before putting it in the oven.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Bosscat

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Tue May 26, 2020 11:59 pm

Bribfc wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:26 pm
Sounds like you might be drinking too much water.

There is no need to set yourself any water-drinking target beyond drinking the amount you are comfortable with to keep yourself from feeling not thristy.

In nature, food is a scarce supply but water generally isn't. Your body has evolved to know exactly how much water you need and to alert you accordingly. It does this by making you thirsty. If you're not thirsty, don't drink. Ever.

Sounds like you're walking a lot and keeping up a good exercise regime. However, to lose weight you need to eat fewer calories than you burn.

Even if you're eating healthily and walking as much as you are you could still put on weight if you were eating more calories than you burn.

Another reason you might not be losing weight (specifically as opposed to fat) could be because of your drinking habits. If you are consuming excess water that water could be retained and will obviously increase your weight.

To behonest, it sounds like you're doing really well. You say you've "only lost about 4lb so far" - That sounds good. It's a quarter of a stone in two months.

Keep up the good work and well done is what I say.

Bribfc

Post by Bribfc » Wed May 27, 2020 12:01 am

Thanks jakub, for the link.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed May 27, 2020 12:05 am

Rowls wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:59 pm
Even if you're eating healthily and walking as much as you are you could still put on weight if you were eating more calories than you burn.

Quoting myself here to add a little bit extra:

You're evidently NOT eating too much because you ARE losing weight.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed May 27, 2020 12:10 am

Another thing:

As for losing weight specifically from the waist - this isn't possible unless you waste your money on liposuction.

Where your body stores (and loses) fat is largely genetic.

You can do the sit-up, push ups and crunches and press ups you like. These won't lose you much weight. They'll help strengthen, tone and build your muscles but only they don't compare to cardio exercise + restricting calories if you're looking to lose weight.

As I said before - you're losing weight so keep on doing what you're doing. As long as you continue to burn more calories than you consume then the weight will continue to fall off and eventually it will come of the waist.

Keep up the good work!

kritichris
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by kritichris » Wed May 27, 2020 12:11 am

Stick with it.. spuds and bread are killers. Drinking water is good, just don't graze and you'll get there.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed May 27, 2020 12:18 am

Drinking water is good - IF YOU'RE THIRSTY!!!

Bribfc

Post by Bribfc » Wed May 27, 2020 12:22 am

Kritichris, I have been eating a lot of boiled pots, also just kicked the white bread into touch.......Thanks Rowls
This user liked this post: tim_noone

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed May 27, 2020 12:37 am

Rowls wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:59 pm
Sounds like you might be drinking too much water.

There is no need to set yourself any water-drinking target beyond drinking the amount you are comfortable with to keep yourself from feeling not thristy.

In nature, food is a scarce supply but water generally isn't. Your body has evolved to know exactly how much water you need and to alert you accordingly. It does this by making you thirsty. If you're not thirsty, don't drink. Ever.

Sounds like you're walking a lot and keeping up a good exercise regime. However, to lose weight you need to eat fewer calories than you burn.

Another reason you might not be losing weight (specifically as opposed to fat) could be because of your drinking habits. If you are consuming excess water that water could be retained and will obviously increase your weight.

To behonest, it sounds like you're doing really well. You say you've "only lost about 4lb so far" - That sounds good. It's a quarter of a stone in two months.

If you think drinking 3 pints of water is anywhere near too much, then you're very wrong.

It doesn't sound anything like they are drinking too much water.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed May 27, 2020 1:19 am

Count.Your.Calories

Use myfitnesspal for this and add in a little exercise.
If you run a calorie deficit you will lose weight.
Keep hydrated, drink lots of water.

I'm on 1500 cals a day with some cycling every other day. I have lost 27kg in 4months. I was an XL T-shirt start of Feb I'm now a medium.

See how you do on 1800 cal per day. Record everything you eat and you will learn where you've been going wrong, because that penut butter on toast is actually 270 cals per slice.
Check out
https://www.reddit.com/r/1500isplenty/
For great inspiration.

MalaysiaMo
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by MalaysiaMo » Wed May 27, 2020 3:33 am

"If you're not thirsty, don't drink. Ever."

Don't agree with that at all. Being thirsty is your brain telling you that you're dehydrated, which is a dangerous state to be in (much more immediately dangerous that being hungry) - especially as dehydration can cause lasting damage to internal organs, such as the kidneys and the brain. You should drink water to avoid becoming thirsty, rather than in response to being thirsty.

Three pints of water per day does not sound like too much to me. Difficult to generalise with these things - but the recommended daily water intake for an adult is around 2 litres per day (or around 3.5 pints). The optimum quantity varies of course according to body size, age, level of activity, elevation, weather etc.

Having said that overhydration (water intoxification) through drinking or retaining too much water is also a problem as it impacts the levels of salts and electrolytes - and thus chemical reactions - within our bodies upon which our health depends.

A good guide is the colour of your urine. The general rule is if it is a champagne-like colour then you're fine (correctly hydrated). If it is clear (like water) then you're overhydrated. If it is dark yellow then you're dehydrated.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Wed May 27, 2020 4:09 am

The maximum starch carbohydrate you should eat per day is 50 grams. You probably could do with less. Eat lots of vegetables, especially cruciferous ones. Consume zero sugar. If your last meal is finished at 8 p.m., your next one should be at noon. Don't even have milk in tea and coffee between these times.

This regime will bring the weight off you.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed May 27, 2020 7:05 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:37 am
If you think drinking 3 pints of water is anywhere near too much, then you're very wrong.

It doesn't sound anything like they are drinking too much water.
I can easily drink 3 pints of water a day. Especially if, for example, I've been exercising.

It is the arbitrary target which is wrong. There is no need to set yourself any other target than to do drink what is required to keep you from being thirsty. If you are not thirsty, you are certainly not dehydrated.
MalaysiaMo wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:33 am
"If you're not thirsty, don't drink. Ever."

Don't agree with that at all. Being thirsty is your brain telling you that you're dehydrated, which is a dangerous state to be in (much more immediately dangerous that being hungry) - especially as dehydration can cause lasting damage to internal organs, such as the kidneys and the brain. You should drink water to avoid becoming thirsty, rather than in response to being thirsty.

Three pints of water per day does not sound like too much to me. Difficult to generalise with these things - but the recommended daily water intake for an adult is around 2 litres per day (or around 3.5 pints). The optimum quantity varies of course according to body size, age, level of activity, elevation, weather etc.

Having said that overhydration (water intoxification) through drinking or retaining too much water is also a problem as it impacts the levels of salts and electrolytes - and thus chemical reactions - within our bodies upon which our health depends.

A good guide is the colour of your urine. The general rule is if it is a champagne-like colour then you're fine (correctly hydrated). If it is clear (like water) then you're overhydrated. If it is dark yellow then you're dehydrated.
I'm struggling to find how or why you disagree with me Mo?

You've written some good information about hydration but none of it contradicts my advice that you do NOT need to drink unless you are thirsty.

There, however, a misnomer in what you've said about being thirsty being "your brain telling you that you're dehyrdated". This isn't the full picture - it is misleading information which has been made up by soft drinks companies.

Thirst doesn't come on and off like a switch. It builds up gradually. You will be thirsty before you are dehydrated.

Being thirsty is your brain's way of telling you that you should take on water. Your brain doesn't wait until you are "dehydrated" before making you feel thirsty, it gradually makes you a little bit thirsty to prompt you to drink in order to prevent this and if you don't do so you will become inceasingly thirsty. It's an incremental thing, not one or the other.

The idea that thirst and dehydration are the same thing has been pushed remorsely by companies pushing bottled water and so-called "energy drinks" for years. There is no proof for this whatsoever.

Being thirsty does NOT -necessarily- mean you are "dehydrated". It just means you should have a drink. Of course, if you really are dehydrated you'll be very thirsty.

In normal circumstances drinking will very quickly become uncomfortable once you have taken on what you need. This is your body telling you to stop drinking. In most people's case it is after drinking something the size of an average glass or mug of tea. It might be a bit more, it might well be after as little as half a glass. We know instinctively when we are no longer thirsty - it very quickly becomes uncomfortable to drink any more.

If anybody is drinking past what is comfortable to drink in order to meet a target (eg. 3 pints) then they are drinking unnecessarily. There are no benefits to drinking unnecessarily but there are dangers - as you have pointed out. By and large anybody drinking too much will most likely only be wasting their time making trips to the bathroom.

What you've said is largely very sound information, particularly the advice about the colour of your pee.

Here's a challenge for you Mo - follow my advice for a week and only drink when you're thirsty. And also note the colour of your pee. Unless you do any strenuous sport (which CAN make you dehyrdrated) you'll find it's remarkably consistent.

Nobody leading a normal life needs to drink some kind of arbitrary amount of water per day or set themself goals of how much to drink.

Drink when you're thirsty. Don't drink if you're not thirsty. It's that simple.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Wed May 27, 2020 7:18 am

id recommended getting a personal trainer who can help with your diet as well as fitness. Do not take or ask for advice from the overweight ageing crew on here whose hobbies include using this forum all day and night and most likely not leaving their rooms. PS have you seen the photos of some of them. Good luck.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed May 27, 2020 7:41 am

A personal trainer would be great - if you can afford it.

I only preach what I practice.

I've done my mornig warm up, I'm off for my morning jog now.

When I get back I'll be doing my short exrcise routine then I'm off for a hike and a swim in the afternoon. I'm approaching middle age now but I'm in good shape and don't feel like I'm not in a position to offer half-decent advice.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed May 27, 2020 7:42 am

pushpinpussy wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:18 am
id recommended getting a personal trainer who can help with your diet as well as fitness. Do not take or ask for advice from the overweight ageing crew on here whose hobbies include using this forum all day and night and most likely not leaving their rooms. PS have you seen the photos of some of them. Good luck.
:lol: :lol:

MalaysiaMo
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by MalaysiaMo » Wed May 27, 2020 7:53 am

Afraid I have to disagree there Rowls. The sense of thirst is triggered by a rise in the concentration of sodium in the blood beyond its normal bounds. If you restrict taking on fluids to only when you feel thirsty then you run the risk of those increased levels of salts causing damage.

The sense of thirst is the brain's translation of dangerously high salt (sodium) concentrations in the blood - the brain telling us that our body is becoming dehydrated.

That's why I think it is important to drink water before you feel thirsty.

Perhaps confusingly, "quenching" a thirst is not the same as being rehydrated. It can take time (up to 15 mins?) for sodium concentrations in the blood to start to fall after drinking water.

I agree that there is no fixed amount to drink per day, as it depends on the individual and the local conditions. I think I covered that in my earlier post, however.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed May 27, 2020 8:00 am

We're going to have to agree to disagree I think Mo.

A few quick point & question.
MalaysiaMo wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:53 am
Afraid I have to disagree there Rowls. The sense of thirst is triggered by a rise in the concentration of sodium in the blood beyond its normal bounds. If you restrict taking on fluids to only when you feel thirsty then you run the risk of those increased levels of salts causing damage.
Can you define "normal" levels of sodium AND show that thirst only occurs once these levels have been passed? Surely the "normal" levels will fluctuate above and below the level that triggers thirst and wouldn't it therefore be logical to include the early levels below which thirst is triggered as being "normal"? If not, we're "medicalising" thirst and equating it completely with dehydration.
MalaysiaMo wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:53 am
The sense of thirst is the brain's translation of dangerously high salt (sodium) concentrations in the blood - the brain telling us that our body is becoming dehydrated.
Thirst is an everyday event. You cannot have a day without experiencing a bit of thirst. I don't think feeling a tiny bit thirsty is in any way "dangerous".

Anyway, we don't have to agree and nice to chat and discuss it with you :)

Have a great day everybody and UTC!

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:11 am

I also disagree with Rowls Slightly on the drinking front, whilst I do understand where he is coming from. You should drink plenty of water not the minimum, especially at this time of year. I wouldnt recommend waiting to feel thirsty as thats your body telling you you’re already feeling dehydrated. I always ensure I’m peeing clear and drink 3 x 1.5lt bottles most days but do train for an hour or so.

Agree with Rowls on the losing weight from a specific area, it’s almost impossible. Weight loss really is simple, there’s no tricks, reduce calories intake, plenty of protein in your diet and try and train although even that isn’t essential. Training will strengthen your core and stomach muscle if you mix it up. Monitor your calories and plan your meals for the next day to ensure you don’t go over, if for example you fancy a pizza on a Friday, reduce your calories for 2-3 days leading up to it to level it out, you’ll enjoy it more knowing your weekly calories intake hasn’t increased.

I’ve been very conscious of keeping in shape all my life and most of my family are the same, although almost all my mates are lads in their 30’s and in terrible shape though. :lol: Last one, weigh yourself when you wake up every Monday and be patient. Take some photos of yourself and then some more in 4 weeks, you’ll surprise yourself with the progress.
This user liked this post: Rowls

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed May 27, 2020 8:15 am

Burnley1989 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:11 am
I also disagree with Rowls Slightly on the drinking front, whilst I do understand where he is coming from. You should drink plenty of water not the minimum, especially at this time of year. I wouldnt recommend waiting to feel thirsty as thats your body telling you you’re already feeling dehydrated. I always ensure I’m peeing clear and drink 3 x 1.5lt bottles most days but do train for an hour or so.

Agree with Rowls on the losing weight from a specific area, it’s almost impossible. Weight loss really is simple, there’s no tricks, reduce calories intake, plenty of protein in your diet and try and train although even that isn’t essential. Training will strengthen your core and stomach muscle if you mix it up. Monitor your calories and plan your meals for the next day to ensure you don’t go over, if for example you fancy a pizza on a Friday, reduce your calories for 2-3 days leading up to it to level it out, you’ll enjoy it more knowing your weekly calories intake hasn’t increased.

I’ve been very conscious of keeping in shape all my life and most of my family are the same, although almost all my mates are lads in their 30’s and in terrible shape though. :lol: Last one, weigh yourself when you wake up every Monday and be patient. Take some photos of yourself and then some more in 4 weeks, you’ll surprise yourself with the progress.
Ah but what exactly is the "minimum". There's only one figure I know of and it's a UN figure ... BUT it isn't the amount you have to drink - it's the amount of fluids it recommends taking on board. You'll get a large percentage from this from food.

Imagine if you will, a nice Sunday roast. There is water in the beef, water in the roasties, water in mash, water in the veg, water in the gravy. There is even water in the Yorkshires.

The idea that you are "a little bit dehydrated" by the time you feel thirsty is a complete fabrication made up by the drinks industry and there's no evidence to support it whatsoever.

Change my mind!
Last edited by Rowls on Wed May 27, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

alboclaret
Been Liked: 142 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by alboclaret » Wed May 27, 2020 8:16 am

Rowls wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:41 am
A personal trainer would be great - if you can afford it.

I only preach what I practice.

I've done my mornig warm up, I'm off for my morning jog now.

When I get back I'll be doing my short exrcise routine then I'm off for a hike and a swim in the afternoon. I'm approaching middle age now but I'm in good shape and don't feel like I'm not in a position to offer half-decent advice.
Out of interest where are you swimming. Open water I presume.
Been trying to think of a locsl remote place for this activity as cant be going up lakes etc

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed May 27, 2020 8:18 am

alboclaret wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:16 am
Out of interest where are you swimming. Open water I presume.
Been trying to think of a locsl remote place for this activity as cant be going up lakes etc
The Med. :)

alboclaret
Been Liked: 142 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by alboclaret » Wed May 27, 2020 8:28 am

:lol: Fair play

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2314 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:36 am

for many women, a divorce has proved the best way to rid themselves of unwanted useless fat.

CryerBFC
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by CryerBFC » Wed May 27, 2020 8:39 am

Morning Guys,

First post after being an avid reader of the forum for a while.

I agree with a lot of the points in this post, especially Burnley1989’s points. I personally drink a black coffee and about 750ml of water as soon as I wake up. Throughout the day I’ll then drink another 2ltrs as a minimum. I am in an active job, train regularly and drink water to my bodies need. This time of year does call to take on a little more and stay hydrated. I certainly don’t wait for my body to tell me I’m thirsty, as previously mentioned, this shouldn’t really happen.

In regards to the OP, you have lost weight and that’s good, clearly shows what you’re doing is working. If it is a little slower than you expected or wanted, simply move more or track the calorie intake and reduce. There’s no magical overnight remedy unfortunately, just persistence and you’ll get where you want to be, I’m sure!

Just for the record since around September last year I’ve lost approximately 20kg, one week you stand still and question if you’re doing it right, but as I previously said, persistence is key.

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:02 am

Simple Maths:

You need to burn 3500 more calories than you consume to lose 1lb.
Your body needs about 1250 calories a day to function healthily.
You will burn 2000-2500 just being alive. Eat less than this - you will lose weight.
You can burn extra calories through exercise to increase that deficit and speed you lose weight.

The hardest thing for most people is understanding how many calories you are really consuming. Everyone underestimates!

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Wed May 27, 2020 9:04 am

I'm just going to put a bit of actual medical advice in here.

I don't agree with Rowls. Many of my patients are dehydrated but don't complain of being thirsty. That's how they became dehydrated in the first place. Blood results and clinical observations confirm this.

Urine colour is an excellent way of telling you if you're drinking enough water.

You can also drink too much water and overhydrate.

If you're thirsty, definitely have a drink of water. But don't wait until it gets to this point.

As for the weight loss. It really is simple. Calories in vs calories burned. Your BMR affects this greatly, but if you eat sensibly, dont starve yourself, have a good breakfast, and keep active, that's a good start. Then just tinker until it starts working. Aim for 1-2lbs per week. The myfitnesspal app is excellent and if used correctly will almost certainly work for you
This user liked this post: Stanbill05

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Wed May 27, 2020 9:05 am

fatboy47 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:36 am
for many women, a divorce has proved the best way to rid themselves of unwanted useless fat.
Was this a personal experience, fb?

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed May 27, 2020 9:08 am

Cut out bread and Suger. Be careful of some fruits like strawberries, also dried fruit due to the large amount of natural sugar they produce.

Cut out red meat, fried food and stay clear of the takeaways which are laced with fat and salt

Don't drink smoothies as they pile on the pounds.

If you are obese, I would not over do the exercise you need to loose a good few pounds first. I certainly would not recommend running this would cause to much strain on the heart and joints

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Wed May 27, 2020 9:44 am

The consensus seems to be cutting the carbs - bread, pasta, rice, wheat flour, sugar (alcohol, nearly all fruit and some, but not all, dairy products as well as all the usual crap foods like cake and biscuits). In effect, the Ketone Diet. This diet really does reduce belly fat.

For this Ketone Diet, not only do you massively reduce carbohydrates but you increase fat intake - all natural fats including saturated - butter, cream, cheese, the fat on meat such as pork chops or bacon etc.. Of course you should mix that with oily fish etc.. Yoghurt and milk are not allowed because they contain a sugar, lactose. Forget industrialised low fat products. This diet, because of the fat, is also filling.

The basis is that most of us use carbohydrates as our energy source but the Ketone Diet changes over to using fat - your body fat. This transition takes a couple of months to get going properly. Once you get in the swing of things you should lose on average two pounds a week but it isn't always two pounds a week.

However it is not easy and there are pitfalls which include the so called 'Keto Flu' where you may suffer during the transition. This suffering might include headaches, constipation, tiredness and other flu like symptoms.

One of the key necessities is to drink copious amounts of water. There are a few reasons for this - to help clear out toxins that are currently stored in your fat cells and to help reduce the risk of constipation amongst others. This large amount of water also causes salt loss and therefore you should add more table salt to your meals as well as possibly taking some supplements such as magnesium, again to reduce the risk of constipation.

It definitely works clearing out belly fat but it can be difficult to keep up.

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:56 am

******** to that. Eat what you want, but count what you eat. Carbs will help you train harder and longer and you need to transition to a sustainable lifestyle eventually. Use myfitnesspal and aim for the balance recommended on there in terms of maximum intake.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Wed May 27, 2020 10:19 am

I was pushing 15 stone a couple of years ago. I currently hover around 11.2 and 11.8 stone depending of time of year (Xmas).

I lost most of the weight by calorie counting. Limited myself to 1500 a day. Lost loads of weight but not sustainable for a long time so I started exercise to burn calories, allowing me to eat me and still ensuring I was in a 1000 calorie deficit each day.

Any exercise is good but I found cycling the best for me. Easy to do for hours and you shift a lot of calories. I also run a lot as well but that’s a lot more difficult to do without picking injuries. Walking at a decent 4mph pace is also a very good way to raise the HR and to burn calories.

I don’t count calories anymore as I’m at a weight I can sustain by exercising, which I enjoy.

Belly fat is often the last to shift. Even when I’m at 11.8 stone I still have a bit of a tummy, but when I’m at 11.2 that’s gone.

Good luck

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Wed May 27, 2020 10:34 am

I eat 120g of Pasta every day, with a variety of sauces but mainly Veg ones.
I also eat lots of rice and make curries, again mainly veggie ones but sometimes with meat & fish.
Soups, salads, eating freshly prepared food and not pre-cooked, packaged, or already prepared, has kept me at 10 and a half stone for donkeys years.
I'm no medical expert but it is said that The Mediterranean Diet is one of the best diets, but that maybe for longevity of life not weight loss, which includes lots of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a balanced diet of carbs, lots of fruit and veg, fresh produce, and a mix of proteins with meat, fish, cheese, dairy products.
Don't forget also the importance of Fibre so eating wholemeal bread, rice, carbs, legumes, etc. is so much better for you as the carbs are broken down, absorbed and used more slowly and gradual making you feel less hungry but still giving you the energy through the day. I find it much tastier too compared with white varieties.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed May 27, 2020 10:40 am

Stanbill05 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:56 am
******** to that. Eat what you want, but count what you eat. Carbs will help you train harder and longer and you need to transition to a sustainable lifestyle eventually. Use myfitnesspal and aim for the balance recommended on there in terms of maximum intake.
Man speaks sense, I can eat essential whatever I like whatever I want provided it's in my calorie budget.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:51 am

Just get smaller plates, drink 2 litres fluid/day as water, black tea or coffee, no cals drinks and try low glycaemic carbs. Cook rice, freeze it and reheat goes from high glycaemic to low glycaemic carb. Same thing occurs with cooked, chilled and reheated pasta and potato.Freeze bread, then thaw and toast and it becomes a low glycaemic carb
This form of carb is better to reduce insulin resistance as you don't get the highs and lows of blood sugar and the lows drive you to eat. There is no difference in calories with these manoeuvres.
Also eat 30g/day of mixed nuts, almonds, hazel and walnuts. Try cauliflower rice instead of rice as a means of reducing the calories.
Finally try the Pioppi Diet you can get the book on Amazon-it gives some interesting info on how we have been obsessed by fat and cholesterol and apparently about 90% of our excess weight since the 60's comes from carbs.Interesting book and if most is true you will be more healthy, if it isn't true at least you will lose weight
Exercise is good but may not help much with weight loss as 60-70% of the calories we burn is used in just living. You would need to increase activity massively to lose weight if you do not reduce the calories.
As others have posted to keep the weight off you have to change how, what you eat forever.
If you are really disciplined and can afford it 1) prepare your usual diet 2) plate it up 3) go to your food recycling bin, put half of what is on the plate in the bin 4) eat the rest. Do that, stick to it and I guarantee you will shed stones in the next 3 months. :D :D And you belly will shrink

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed May 27, 2020 10:54 am

I'm with MalaysiaMo. When you're thirsty, it's too late, you're already dehydrated.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed May 27, 2020 11:20 am

Go to India for month , eat drink what ever you like and you will lose weight as everyone does .

Take as much toilet roll as you can fit into your suitcase as you are going to need it .

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Wed May 27, 2020 12:40 pm

The belly is probably an area where you're genetically predisposed to holding fat, it can vary from person to person, with some it's their thighs and others their lower back etc. You can't just lose fat from one specific area of the body though, you'll need to reduce your overall body fat percentage and one of the side effects of this will be that you'll consequently hold less fat around the belly. To do this you'll need to be in a caloric deficit, so eat less/move more, it's simple in theory but often difficult to eradicate that last stubborn bit of belly fat.

I'm 186cm and 79kg so not overweight by any means but I still have a bit of belly fat that's difficult to shift. Loss of body fat operates by the law of diminishing returns as well, so if you have a lot you'll probably see a decent amount of initial progress on a 300 cal per day deficit, but then you'll plateau and have to increase this to a 400 cal deficit, 500 cal deficit etc until you get the results you want.

To be honest having a completely fat free midsection isn't worth it, as you have to be so disciplined in terms of diet and exercise it's a pretty miserable lifestyle, but if you just want to get a bit of a flatter stomach it should be easily doable with a small caloric deficit compared to your current intake and maybe a bit more exercise.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Wed May 27, 2020 1:29 pm

Agree with the above. In order to have Peter Andre abs you need to put so much effort in it will obsess your life.

I know some very fit cyclists and runners who carry a bit of timber around their midsection.

Apart from looking good I don’t understand people that are obsessed on going to the gym to get a six pack. It doesn’t make you fit and certainly doesn’t extend your life. I’d much rather get on the bike and ride to the middle of nowhere or put on a pair of trial shoes and leg it around the hills.

Maybe people want to look muscly to attract women but I’m married with 2 kids. She’s going nowhere.

Cardio is horrible at first but once you get good out it it’s easy. I burn so many calories running and cycling I probably consume over 3000 calories most days so I don’t lose any more weight. A lot of those calories are alcohol mind

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Wed May 27, 2020 1:33 pm

Skipping. Burns way more calories than running.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Wed May 27, 2020 1:54 pm

So you’ve got a fat bit instead of a fit bit. That’s your problem.