Adam Lallana

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Re: Adam Lallana

Post by warksclaret » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:31 pm

If Sean says he wants players that slot straight in then you only need a squad of 11

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:41 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:31 pm
If Sean says he wants players that slot straight in then you only need a squad of 11
Well assuming no injuries ever of course.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:47 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:53 pm
Yes, I know what you mean but Sean has recently said he wants players who can slot straight in and after a Sean Dyche pre season, he could probably do that. He won't just have been sat on his backside at Liverpool.
Not sure where SD has said he wants players who can slot straight in

Agree, a number of the starting 11 need an upgrade but I would have hoped to also see more people coming in with the future in mind, not a pension plan

Lallana would replace Cork or Westwood ?

Maybe, but quite a financial outlay (wages plus a signing on fee) with no hope of recouping any of this spend

MG and MR will be having nightmares 8-)

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:35 pm

The last thing we need is a player like this. More like Brownhill please
These 2 users liked this post: Long Time Lurker Woodleyclaret

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:42 pm

Can't see that, has he ever won the ball back for his team? Soft as.. and 32. Pointless.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Long Time Lurker

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 854 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:55 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:47 pm
Not sure where SD has said he wants players who can slot straight in

Agree, a number of the starting 11 need an upgrade but I would have hoped to also see more people coming in with the future in mind, not a pension plan

Maybe, but quite a financial outlay (wages plus a signing on fee) with no hope of recouping any of this spend

MG and MR will be having nightmares 8-)
https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/f ... w-18596018

"The Turf boss is hoping to recruit players who can come straight into the first team thinking, rather than signings who might require a bedding in period."

Just saying what I've read. Don't think he's likely to come here, though it would be nice if he did, IMHO. Oh, and I never said he would replace Cork or Westwood. Don't know where you got that from.

You're right on your last point though.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2569 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:37 pm

Would be a very good signing, another one of those miles above what Burnley fans are used to.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:56 pm

To be honest I don’t think this signing would move the club forward.

Who in our starting eleven would he displace? Would cost the club a substantial amount of money in wages and signing on fee, would much prefer we went for younger talent that can play for the club for the next 5 years.
We might get 20-30 games out of Lallana at best with his age and injury record.

Put under the pointless signing list alongside Walters, Hart, Reid, Crouch

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:04 pm

I think we can get a lot out of him if he buys into the Burnley ethos. What's going for us is that Cork & Rodriguez will know him well and they will "sell" the club to him. If he wants to stay in the north west and is not too greedy about personal terms then don't rule this out. Would be a great start in building the squad, even though his best days may be behind him. He would possibly fill in the DeFour role

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:55 pm

From Mail Online, 7th July:

Leicester are leading the race to sign him on a free transfer — there has also been interest from Arsenal, Tottenham, Bournemouth and Burnley — and Klopp will not jeopardise a potential move by asking him to play in his side's remaining five games.

'It is clear Adam will leave the club in the summer,' said Klopp. 'I miss already everything about him — and in this moment he is still here! He is an outstanding player, one of the most influential in training I have ever had in my life. He is an incredible professional. He is so fit. Now we have a difficult situation but I will respect Adam.'

So, Leicester, Arsenal and Tottenham are all (quoted as being) interested in this 32 year old.... and, some on here don't think Lallana "would move the club forward" (and similar sentiments)? Do we think these 3 clubs are all preparing for mid-table next season? Or, has Mike Garlick told Sean that he can sign Adam Lallana, but only if another midfielder leaves to fund the deal?

UTC

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:11 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:55 pm

So, Leicester, Arsenal and Tottenham are all (quoted as being) interested in this 32 year old.... and, some on here don't think Lallana "would move the club forward" (and similar sentiments)? Do we think these 3 clubs are all preparing for mid-table next season? Or, has Mike Garlick told Sean that he can sign Adam Lallana, but only if another midfielder leaves to fund the deal?

UTC
It's quite simple Paul, them 3 can afford to have Lallana in or around their 1st teams.

Lallana in our 4-4-2, no thank you.

KevWebstersBomber
Been Liked: 46 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by KevWebstersBomber » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:41 am

Be a good signing. Head and shoulders above Cork.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:55 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:53 pm
What's his best position - attacking central midfield?
Yes, or the bench.

Apart from a few cameos he hasn't played much in the last few years, but he was an outstanding player when he was getting regular game time. Injuries and new arrivals consigned him to support duty. The 2016/17 creative midfield Lallana would have been a dream acquisition and way beyond our powers of attraction. By all accounts he is a great bloke as well.

The transfer money we have needs to be working for us in terms of generating future profits. We can't afford to be spending large amounts on depreciating assets.

Players like Lallana would serve to protect our on the pitch performance, but we will quickly run out of money and be left with nothing to replace those players when their careers end. If you set out to tread water, instead of swimming towards a bountiful land, you will eventually drown.

We would also have the problem of working out what to do with him. An attacking midfielder isn't a perfect fit for our current framework and I suspect he will only come to us with some form of playing assurance.

If he played as part of a midfield three, behind a single striker then we would have three strikers on the bench earning big money for nothing.

Alternatively, if we used him in a midfield pair then we would lose part of our extra layer of defence and we would have to bench one of Cork, Westwood or Brownhill to make way.

A longer term problem is that adding Lallana to the squad would give us three midfielders in the same age range. That means their playing contribution could be expected to wane along the same trajectory and they may well leave the club at the same time ( the end of their next contract if Cork and Westwood sign new deals ). We struggled to find one new midfielder last Summer so how we would go about signing three in a single window is anyone's guess.

Given his probable wage demands ( in full or a big sign on payment and a lesser wage ), the possible expectation of a fairly long contract and his injuries I would be happy if he went elsewhere.

Taking into account the job that we know Cork and Westwood can do, along with the excellent start Brownhill has made, we should really be in the market for a fourth choice midfielder. With a small squad I get where the Gaffer is coming from when he says we need players who can make an immeduate contribution. However, unless we are hit with a really bad injury run a fourth choice player will probably only play a few matches in a season. That means we could buy a player that needs a bit of development for a cheaper price and wages.

Part of the problem with our rising wage bill is that we have brough in Premier League ready players ( albeit older ones ) who naturally expect to be paid relatively high wages.

We could even pick up a player like Benjamin Whiteman who has been consistently excellent for League 1 Doncaster and exhibits an attractive blend of defensive and creative qualities. If we do I would prefer to see him go out on loan to a Championship club for a season to get him used to playing at a higher level, but with finances tight for Championship clubs next season many will jump at getting quality players on loan instead of paying out transfer fees.

If he did spend a year playing regular football in the second tier he could be ready to step up when Westwood and Cork are nearing the end of their current contracts. We will need a good holding midfielder when Cork eventually moves on and given the financial duress of clubs in league one the next window might be a ggod time to pick up a player that a club would prefer to keep hold of ( he is their captain after all ).

https://www.sofascore.com/player/benjam ... man/775063

Angelo Fulgini is still top of my list though. Playing in central midfield he is very similar to Westwood. However, he is quicker and racks up the progressive distance by dribbling. A player that carries the ball instead of playing pass a ball ping pong like we are inclined to do would be very useful. One of the reasons that Mc Neil does so well for us is down to his ability to carry the ball up the wing and gain distance, his crossing is the ice on the cake. Having a player who can do that through the middle would add another string to our bow.

Fulgini might not be contributing many goals or assists, but that isn't because he can't. His shot creation numbers are very good, posting 3.36 per game as a central midfielder this season and 3.69 as a right winger the season before. The problem is that SCO Angers play with a lone striker up front and they don't have one that can hit a barn door at 10 paces. If he put those chances on a plate for our strikers I'm willing to bet his assists would be a lot higher.

The kicker is that he plays equally well as a central midfielder or as a right winger ( who can put in a defensive shift ). He even started out as a right back. I'm guessing he would go for 6-8m, which would be a very low amount considering that he could fill two f the roles we should be recruiting for ( sort of like buy one get one free ). It would also give him more of a chance at getting game time. The bits and bobs that I've picked up since i started following him also detail a good character.

Angers aren't a rich club and they have already spent 10m in the last few weeks. That means they need to sell. Prior to Corona it looked like they were going to cash in on their prized assets, Ryan Ait Nouri and Baptiste Santamaria. Nouri just signed a new contract and they may look to keep him instead of selling in what might be a depressed market. Santamaria is an excellent player and I expect him to be sold. However, they may prefer to sell Fulgini who is in the last year of his contract instead of or as well as Santamaria ( although they have promised him a move if a suitable offer comes in )

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2 ... fulgini-2/

https://fbref.com/en/players/4b96c347/Angelo-Fulgini

https://www.sofascore.com/player/angelo-fulgini/787540

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:07 am

I don't care if it's Lallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllana or someone from League One, Dyche has got his midfield signings pretty much spot on, so whatever he says is fine by me
This user liked this post: IanMcL

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:23 am

Might be worth it for the chant alone.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:05 am

This nonsense of buying players then instantly loaning them out needs banning
Big rich sides like Chelsea and City do it harvesting all the developing talent and paying wages way over the players ability level.

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:42 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:56 pm
To be honest I don’t think this signing would move the club forward.

Who in our starting eleven would he displace? Would cost the club a substantial amount of money in wages and signing on fee, would much prefer we went for younger talent that can play for the club for the next 5 years.
We might get 20-30 games out of Lallana at best with his age and injury record.

Put under the pointless signing list alongside Walters, Hart, Reid, Crouch
Lets meet in the middle, if we could get 25 games from a fit Lallana I would be very happy with that there is no denying his quality.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:29 am

'We should be looking beyond those markets and be looking at a more rounded style of player...'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53425371

I know just the fellow:
th.jpg
th.jpg (21.7 KiB) Viewed 2800 times

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:53 am

People keep saying he would be a great signing but no one has answered the question, where would he fit in our starting eleven?

He is an attacking midfielder, are we planning on dropping a striker and having three on the bench?

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:57 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:53 am
People keep saying he would be a great signing but no one has answered the question, where would he fit in our starting eleven?

He is an attacking midfielder, are we planning on dropping a striker and having three on the bench?
He would play on the right of midfield.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 816 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:00 am

Can’t see how he would fit into our system. Would be horrified if he was part of a central 2. Might as well open up a motorway through our midfield. Could see him out right in a Lennon role but has he ever been a real winger? And we vastly improve when we block that side up with a JBG Hendrick type. This just feels like another expensive injury waiting to happen.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:04 am

Haven't we just bought Brownhill as real competition for Cork, Westwood and the departed Hendrick

We don't need another "lightweight" such as Lallana but a strong midfield general, hopefully with some pace

CharlieinNewMexico

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:08 am

Oh and finally that acclaimed centre we built down at Gawthorpe? It’s going to mean nothing if we keep bringing in 32 year olds instead of a pathway through the club for talent. Parents and players will give up coming here because they’ll just assume we’ll get another Lallana as a short term fix. And before anyone says McNeil as we all know we were down to the bare bones for Europe and after Man U SD could hardly leave him out.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:15 am

:twisted:
Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:53 am

Probably best leaving that decision to the bloke who is going to guide us to yet another top half finish in the premier league.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:19 am

Can't believe some doofuses are questioning whether this would be a good signing.

It's like asking where George Best would fit into our starting 11 because we had Glen Little.

CharlieinNewMexico

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:28 am

No because George Best would obviously be a direct replacement for Glenn Little. But who would Lallana replace and why?

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1393 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:28 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:55 am
...The transfer money we have needs to be working for us in terms of generating future profits. We can't afford to be spending large amounts on depreciating assets. Players like Lallana would serve to protect our on the pitch performance, but we will quickly run out of money and be left with nothing to replace those players when their careers end...

...A longer term problem is that adding Lallana to the squad would give us three midfielders in the same age range. That means their playing contribution could be expected to wane along the same trajectory and they may well leave the club at the same time...Taking into account the job that we know Cork and Westwood can do, along with the excellent start Brownhill has made, we should really be in the market for a fourth choice midfielder. With a small squad I get where the Gaffer is coming from when he says we need players who can make an immediate contribution. However, unless we are hit with a really bad injury run a fourth choice player will probably only play a few matches in a season. That means we could buy a player that needs a bit of development for a cheaper price and wages.

Part of the problem with our rising wage bill is that we have brought in Premier League ready players ( albeit older ones ) who naturally expect to be paid relatively high wages.

We could pick up a player...who has been consistently excellent for League 1 ...loan to a Championship club for a season to get him used to playing at a higher level and with finances tight for Championship clubs next season many will jump at getting quality players on loan instead of paying out transfer fees.

If he did spend a year playing regular football in the second tier he could be ready to step up when Westwood and Cork are nearing the end of their current contracts...
That makes more sense than another ageing and undoubtedly expensive 'EPL ready' midfielder. There's certainly a risk that the youngster's promise is not fulfilled, but I'm old enough to recall those teams of the early/mid '80s when too many ageing players arrived at Turf Moor for free/a small fees and the promise of one last contract, which was well paid and generally too-long; history shows that approach too has equal risk: One or two of them earned those salaries, but others just faded away and stole the wage.
This user liked this post: Long Time Lurker

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:34 am

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:28 am
No because George Best would obviously be a direct replacement for Glenn Little. But who would Lallana replace and why?
Right midfield? I can't see Lallana wanting to come to Burnley and slog his guts out at his age anyway. He won't be short of offers.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:34 am

I think he would play as a Scott Arfield/Jeff Hendrick style narrow right sided midfielder, who comes inside as much as sticks to the touchline.

Which would suit Lallana, and us, enormously.

I don't think for a second he would come here sadly but he would improve us immeasurably for a couple of years there if he could stay fit.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:39 am

Doubt we'd get him but funny those saying he wouldn't be a good signing.
This user liked this post: HahaYeah

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:50 am

He would play on the right of midfield if he came here with hopefully a Charlie Taylor type behind him who can overlap and put a cross in. Also gives us options for formation changes if we go 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 depending on opposition and scoreline etc.

At 32 he has possibly another 2-3 seasons left and is an upgrade in quality. Also gives 2-3 years to gently blood a youngster as a replacement as Dyche likes.

Like Dyche continually says it is about small gradual improvements to the club as a whole rather than wholesale changes that are needed and will eventually (hopefully) see us being able to attain our next level (which I assume would be more regular attempts at Europa and the possibility of better participation in domestic cups).

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:00 am

taio wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:39 am
Doubt we'd get him but funny those saying he wouldn't be a good signing.
Isn't it more a matter of concern over value for money? An expensive short-term signing with no sell on value.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:01 am

Goobs wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:50 am
He would play on the right of midfield if he came here with hopefully a Charlie Taylor type behind him who can overlap and put a cross in. Also gives us options for formation changes if we go 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 depending on opposition and scoreline etc.

At 32 he has possibly another 2-3 seasons left and is an upgrade in quality. Also gives 2-3 years to gently blood a youngster as a replacement as Dyche likes.

Like Dyche continually says it is about small gradual improvements to the club as a whole rather than wholesale changes that are needed and will eventually (hopefully) see us being able to attain our next level (which I assume would be more regular attempts at Europa and the possibility of better participation in domestic cups).
So, in order to get the best our of Lallana, and create a playing role for him, we would need to buy an expensive new right back ( when we already have to proven right backs on the books for next season ). At the same time we would have to buy a good young midfielder to replace him in a couple of years.

At a guess

A sign on fee for Lallana of 5m and wages of 5m over 2 years ( 50k per week ). At the end of it he would have no real value, despite the money spent on him.

Then we somehow find a Charlie Taylor equivalent for another 10m and a quality youngster for 3-5m. On top of that we have two perfectly good right backs sat on the bench soaking up wages, along with the youngster.

Call me tight, but with our limited funds I would rather we just bought the youngster or a proven midfielder in the 23-26 age range that has a chance of increasing in value.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:04 am

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:28 am
I think he could do a job to replace Pieters on the right wing. ;)

taio

Post by taio » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:05 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:00 am
Isn't it more a matter of concern over value for money? An expensive short-term signing with no sell on value.
We don't always need to sign players who would have a sell on value. What's most important is signing players that will help us to stay in the Premier League.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:10 am

I think we're short of a creative midfield player. In all honesty we still haven't replace Defour. Although it's good to be linked with someone of Lallana's pedigree I would have thought there's next to zero chance of us attracting him given the amount of interested clubs.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:21 am

Lallana being injury prone is a bit of a myth. His last injury was September 2018! A bit like when everyone thought JayRod was injury prone. He hasn't been playing because Liverpool have had a definite front 3 for 2-3 years now and because of the way those forward players play the selected midfielders tend to be a bit more defensive.

No doubt we have to look to reduce the age of the squad but if we get the chance to sign someone of this quality then I would love to see him in a Clarets shirt. Apparently, he's quite good mates with Jay and Corky too....that's got to help.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:27 am

taio wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:05 am
We don't always need to sign players who would have a sell on value. What's most important is signing players that will help us to stay in the Premier League.
I agree we don't always need to do this, but sometimes it might help.
If we sign too many 30+ year olds we will be in trouble sooner rather than later. It's not sustainable. (In my opinion, of course)

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:33 am

It is time to expand our breadth of thought.

Lallana would be a strengthening. Who would ge replace should not be relevant.

We lack the numbers to compete on all fronts and so rely on tge same players for most occasions. Those who come in to fill a space, for injury or suspension, invariably perform well, as they know the system.

Given greater options, Mr D should rotate, some positions more.

This is part of his own learning and development. If/when he proves he is not adverse, then that will be his passport to other jobs.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:33 am

We have a fair number of over 30s already....Bardsley, Lowton, Mee, Pieters, Cork , Westwood, Barnes, Rodriguez...

taio

Post by taio » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:34 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:27 am
I agree we don't always need to do this, but sometimes it might help.
If we sign too many 30+ year olds we will be in trouble sooner rather than later. It's not sustainable. (In my opinion, of course)
I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking to sign younger players with the aim of reducing the age of our squad. But if an older player becomes available that would improve us we shouldn't look away just because he would have little or no resale value. Like most things it's about balance.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:41 am

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:08 am
Oh and finally that acclaimed centre we built down at Gawthorpe? It’s going to mean nothing if we keep bringing in 32 year olds instead of a pathway through the club for talent. Parents and players will give up coming here because they’ll just assume we’ll get another Lallana as a short term fix. And before anyone says McNeil as we all know we were down to the bare bones for Europe and after Man U SD could hardly leave him out.
It's an upgraded academy, not a magic factory. The ingredients in have to improve and be nurtured. And if bringing in a 32 year old full international, with experience of playing at the highest level, with a good work rate and superior technical ability, means that the bar is raised for players to get into the squad, then that is fine. I'd understand when players like James O'Connor were being signed, rather than using promising youth players, but displacing somebody of the ability of Lallana is a different kettle of fish totally.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:42 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Sell on value is a fraction of the money from staying in the premier league.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:46 am

Lets judge a player on his sell on value first, certainly worked well for Bournemouth with the sell on of Ibe and the results of Solanke as well as the division they will be in next season.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:57 am

10 players 30 years old or over, I suppose one more wouldn't matter.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 854 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:26 am

There's another way of looking at tranfers and that's quality versus numbers.

It doesn't matter whether we sign one player or six, if they are no better than what we have already, what's the point? If we have all our current first team squad fit, for the start of next season, we actually don't have a bad bunch of players. What we need is ONE player with a bit of added class that can make things happen. A bit like McNeil. So why not think about spending all our transfer budget on someone like that, instead of spreading it around?

Yes, his wage might be a problem, because class players don't come cheap, but it would only be a problem if it risked upsetting other players, and I don't think it would if the said player improved things overall.

For me, that one class player needs to be a right winger.

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:32 am

Bet he ends up at Leeds

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:33 am

Don't think sell on matters but having to replace half your squad all at once would be an issue. Particularly as it could be a new manager who gets lumbered having to do it in a year or two.

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:20 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Why do all our targets have to have a sell on value ? and if they don't it's a poor signing.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:38 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Does every single signing we make need to have a sell on value??