Dean Smith

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Dean Smith

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Thu May 28, 2020 5:19 pm

Loses his father to coronavirus, aged 79. Condolences to him, family and friends.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 519 times

Re: Dean Smith

Post by beddie » Thu May 28, 2020 7:09 pm

That's awful. Still far too many dying.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:55 pm

Yes, dreadful loss of life. So let's hope those who think DC going "off piste" is a reason to jack in all this self discipline will see sense and remain vigilant. Those who fail to comply with hand washing and social distancing risk the lives of themselves, friends and neighbours but also those in occupations where there has already been too many deaths helping others. It is one thing to be putting your life on the line for an innocent victim of Covid-19 but another when expected to do it for someone who has caught the virus by behaving recklessly.
Condolences to Dean Smith and family.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 levraiclaret

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu May 28, 2020 9:25 pm

Sad news. Seem to recall his dad was in full time care with Alzheimer’s wasn’t he? Remember watching a touching piece where he said he’d love nothing more than his dad to know that he’s managing Villa, which is their team.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32528 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 29, 2020 9:13 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:25 pm
Sad news. Seem to recall his dad was in full time care with Alzheimer’s wasn’t he? Remember watching a touching piece where he said he’d love nothing more than his dad to know that he’s managing Villa, which is their team.
He's been suffering for some time with dementia. Dean Smith will have lost his dad a long time ago but still an awful thing for him to now have to deal with, even more so given the circumstances.

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Fri May 29, 2020 9:17 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:13 am
He's been suffering for some time with dementia. Dean Smith will have lost his dad a long time ago but still an awful thing for him to now have to deal with, even more so given the circumstances.
That's very true.

My mum didn' t know who I was during the last eighteen months of her life, so really I'd done my grieving well before she died.

I hope Dean Smith is in the same position.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 29, 2020 9:32 am

lakedistrictclaret wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:17 am
That's very true.

My mum didn' t know who I was during the last eighteen months of her life, so really I'd done my grieving well before she died.

I hope Dean Smith is in the same position.
I still remember the day my dad died. I knew he hadn't been my dad for a long time but so selfish are people I was shocked when my mum told the vicar who would be doing the funeral that she hadn't lost her husband, that she'd lost him a long time ago and had now just lost a patient.

You are so right, so much of the grieving has been done long before.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:24 am

Me too with my Mum. Left in the Autumn of 1985 but died in the Autumn of 1986. 99% of grieving done by the time she died. The one thing that kept coming back to me in a dream for about 12-24 months was a knock at the door and there was my mother standing outside in her nightie, grey and ashen wanting to know where her clothes were-knowing she was never coming home I had given her clothes to charity in the 6 months before she died. Just one example of the guilt felt when a loved one dies.

Dougall
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 222 times

Post by Dougall » Fri May 29, 2020 1:41 pm

Just over 2 years since my Mum eventually passed away, having sunk into that awful oblivion over the previous 5 or 6 years.
However, when I visited her the day before she died. She was in her bed, in the care home where she was looked after, and barely breathing. When it came time to leave, I bent over to kiss her forehead and say bye-bye (as I always did). She opened her eyes, they cleared remarkably (to the extent that I am convinced that, in that moment she was back!) and she looked right at me and said "Ma wee laddie!" (Though I was then 61, I'm the youngest of her 4 children).
If my wife hadn't been there to see it, I might think I'd imagined it, as up to that moment, like others have commented, I knew I'd lost her long before.
I have to say, I felt blessed.
Thoughts are with Dean Smith and his family.
These 2 users liked this post: Swizzlestick JohnDearyMe

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri May 29, 2020 1:50 pm

Bloody hell Dougall, I’m having a moment now 😢

Lovely story though despite the awful circumstances.

RIP Dean’s father.
This user liked this post: Dougall

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 29, 2020 2:34 pm

Dougall wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:41 pm
Just over 2 years since my Mum eventually passed away, having sunk into that awful oblivion over the previous 5 or 6 years.
However, when I visited her the day before she died. She was in her bed, in the care home where she was looked after, and barely breathing. When it came time to leave, I bent over to kiss her forehead and say bye-bye (as I always did). She opened her eyes, they cleared remarkably (to the extent that I am convinced that, in that moment she was back!) and she looked right at me and said "Ma wee laddie!" (Though I was then 61, I'm the youngest of her 4 children).
If my wife hadn't been there to see it, I might think I'd imagined it, as up to that moment, like others have commented, I knew I'd lost her long before.
I have to say, I felt blessed.
Thoughts are with Dean Smith and his family.
My dad hadn't known who we were for some considerable time before he passed away. Two days from the end of his life, he was taken to hospital after a difficult night (he was still at home with my mum). By then both me and my brother were there. He looked up at my brother and said his name as he asked him to help him. It was the first suggestion in a long time that he'd given any clue that he even recognised any of us. My dad was only 67 when he left us and we'd had a good few years dealing with his dementia.

So very much my thoughts with Dean Smith and all those who are suffering because of this wretched illness.

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Fri May 29, 2020 3:23 pm

That's rough Tony, your dad was only the same age as I am now. At least my mum was only a couple of months short of 90.

My dad's passing hit me harder because it was much more sudden ( heart defect ) and he was fully compos mentis right up to the end. He was 86.

Dementia is so difficult for your loved ones.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2974 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri May 29, 2020 3:43 pm

Both my Mum (90) and my Dad (92) are suffering with vascular dementia but we haven't yet reached the stage
where they don't recognise us. Maybe we won't, given their ages, but we are preparing for it just in case, if that
is at all possible.

It's an effing horrible disease that strips you of all your dignity, independence and self worth.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 29, 2020 3:55 pm

lakedistrictclaret wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:23 pm
That's rough Tony, your dad was only the same age as I am now. At least my mum was only a couple of months short of 90.

My dad's passing hit me harder because it was much more sudden ( heart defect ) and he was fully compos mentis right up to the end. He was 86.

Dementia is so difficult for your loved ones.
On 2nd January this year I reached the age my dad was on the day he died, ten days away from his 68th birthday.