OT Astronomers/telescopes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

OT Astronomers/telescopes

Post by Hendrickxz » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:04 am

Just wondered if we have any amateur stargazers on here? I want to buy my grandson a telescope but haven't the first clue on where to start. Refractor or reflector, magnification, etc, etc. It seems like a bit of a minefield for the non-expert. Looking to spend £100-150 for a starter scope. I have looked on-line and Celestron seem to be highly regarded, but an suggestions, help would be much appreciated. Thanks

bobinho
Been Liked: 4099 times
Has Liked: 6575 times

Re: OT Astronomers/telescopes

Post by bobinho » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:55 am

Try a website called ‘stargazers lounge’ also a company called ‘first light optics’ as they both have guides for beginners that are very good.

Quality of mirror is everything at that price point. Dobsonians are very easy to use but you have to track the subject thru the sky yourself.

CrispyClaret
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by CrispyClaret » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:53 am

I’ve always found this lot are good to deal with. The Skywatcher brand is decent. Which type of scope is always a toss up as everyone will say different things, such as start with decent binoculars first. But the Startravel 80 would be fine. Also it looks like a telescope, don’t know the age of your grandson but looks might be worth thinking about.
https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/be ... copes.html

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:26 am

How old is your grandson? Do you think the telescope will get regular use? What experience does he have of astronomy?

If a total novice, I would first look at a decent pair of binoculars and a look at the sky through those to learn the summer and winter constellations and areas of interest, so many clusters and nebulae are visible in binos in good skies.

A good telescope is one that gets used, so not too big, easily portable, probably up to 5 inch mirror (refelctors/SCT) or 3-4 inch lens (refractor).

A simple dobsonian mount is portable and easy to set up, I use one all the time ( https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginn ... xtube.html).

Stargazers Lounge is full of good advice.

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:44 am

Sorry for the delay. He's ten.

CrispyClaret
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by CrispyClaret » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:24 pm

As we have said, binoculars are a great way to start and learn the way around. You can sit or lie down comfortably to use them and you see a hell of lot of stars through them and they are quick and easy to use.
Telescopes are harder to use, just finding the object you’re looking for can be an off putting challenge. And the Earth turns so fast it’s amazing how quickly things vanish from the eyepiece. So telescopes get nudged around, or you use winding handles or motors to keep things in view.
Don’t buy a telescope that promises 300x etc magnification like you see in shops like Argos. For looking at the moon and planets he won’t really venture further than 25-50x.

I wish it was an easy thing to answer that you are looking for. Visit a telescope shop when the world calms down, there will be a local astronomy club with hopefully helpful members, online forums such as astronomyshed.co.uk

On second thoughts don’t go to a shop, they have too many shiny toys that burn holes in pockets for the unwary. That’s my excuse.
Attachments
6D558ACC-B2B9-4D0E-A40D-FB5AFA4D0449.jpeg
6D558ACC-B2B9-4D0E-A40D-FB5AFA4D0449.jpeg (69.02 KiB) Viewed 518 times