Antony Joshua

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Blackburn_Claret
Been Liked: 85 times
Has Liked: 267 times

Re: Antony Joshua

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:10 pm

AJ should be stripped of his belts his comments are disgraceful!

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:28 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:05 pm
Empathy is a great trait to have. Thankfully I do have plenty. I don’t believe the protesters do though.
think carefully and ask yourself if your third statement contradicts your second statement

And btw I am fully aware from your posting history that you have at least as much empathy as the average man on the street, possibly more - for all your jesting you do seem to care a lot about and for people in general. We all can be better if we put in the necessary effort,

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:42 pm

Bfcboyo wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:03 am
The racism pandemic is the bigger issue just ask Raheem Sterling

Maybe he should explain his comment to the families of the 40,000+ dead in this country alone.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:45 pm

Blackburn_Claret wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:10 pm
AJ should be stripped of his belts his comments are disgraceful!
But then his pants will fall down and he’ll be a flasher too
This user liked this post: Goobs

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:49 pm

I was expecting something much more controversial than don't shop in racist places, invest in black businesses and don't loot when I started reading this thread.

Ironically I suspect there's a pretty high correlation between those who are offended by this and those who like to call people snowflakes.
These 2 users liked this post: Darnhill Claret fatboy47

android
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by android » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:07 pm

I was also surprised when I looked it up - Joshua's comments were taken totally out of context. Should be a non-story.
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:41 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:28 pm
think carefully and ask yourself if your third statement contradicts your second statement

And btw I am fully aware from your posting history that you have at least as much empathy as the average man on the street, possibly more - for all your jesting you do seem to care a lot about and for people in general. We all can be better if we put in the necessary effort,
I know what you are saying and thought as much when i posted it. But the fact that they gathered in such large numbers whether they were part of the mob or not, suggests they have next to none.

And agree its such an important trait to have. Luckily over time its something I've developed a lot more of. Very important to see things through the eyes of others.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:03 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:49 pm
I was expecting something much more controversial than don't shop in racist places, invest in black businesses and don't loot when I started reading this thread.

Ironically I suspect there's a pretty high correlation between those who are offended by this and those who like to call people snowflakes.
Conversely there is probably quite a high correllation of those that are normally snowflakes turning a blind eye to what is at the very least a poorly thought out and divisive comment. I prefer to call it hypocrisy. The left are the masters of it.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:13 pm

Somethingfishy wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:03 pm
Conversely there is probably quite a high correllation of those that are normally snowflakes turning a blind eye to what is at the very least a poorly thought out and divisive comment. I prefer to call it hypocrisy. The left are the masters of it.
Which bit do you disagree with? Not spending money in racist's shops/economies, investing in black-owned businesses, saying no to gang culture, not rioting and looting or uniting as a human race?

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:13 pm

I personally couldn't give a toss what he said.
People are free to spend their money where they like it.

Massive hypocrite though - the blokes last pay packet come from Saudi - you know that country renowned for brilliant human rights issues, and every company he is sponsored by also has a white CEO!

You just know if that was Fury saying only spend your money in white working class establishments it'd be career over.

The double standards are pretty bizzare
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Blackburn_Claret

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:25 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:13 pm
Which bit do you disagree with? Not spending money in racist's shops/economies, investing in black-owned businesses, saying no to gang culture, not rioting and looting or uniting as a human race?
Which bit have we all been discussing? Or are you deliberately being facetious? Look further up the thread and you will see my views. He doesn't say racist shops does he? You know that but you seem to infer he said it. I have also asked how exactly do you define a racist shop/business? Whatever way you try to spin it and try and convince your mind it wasn't divisive what he said...it was. It was oddly out of context with the rest of his speech because the rest of it made total sense.
Today when asked to clarify he only said "If you think i'm racist go f*** yourself." What a guy.

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:28 pm

CoolClaret wrote:

Massive hypocrite though - the blokes last pay packet come from Saudi - you know that country renowned for brilliant human rights issues, and every company he is sponsored by also has a white CEO!

You just know if that was Fury saying only spend your money in white working class establishments it'd be career over.

Given some of the things that Fury has said I doubt it would be career over, you're right though that he would get a lot of stick for it.

Looking at the actual speech though I don't see where Joshua has said only spend your money in black establishments though so I'm not sure what the relevance is.

invest in black-owned businesses. That's for all communities, if you want to uplift yourselves - invest in your own businesses is a long way from what you're suggesting.

I don't disagree at all about the Saudi aspect, although that's a hypocrisy running through our (and a lot of other) whole society.

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:30 pm

CoolClaret wrote:

I think it is the double standards and hypocrisy that is becoming so tiresome and predictable with all this. The really worrying thing is they simply refuse to see it...or as is more likely..blind to it.

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:34 pm

Somethingfishy wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:25 pm
Which bit have we all been discussing? Or are you deliberately being facetious? Look further up the thread and you will see my views. He doesn't say racist shops does he? You know that but you seem to infer he said it. I have also asked how exactly do you define a racist shop/business? Whatever way you try to spin it and try and convince your mind it wasn't divisive what he said...it was. It was oddly out of context with the rest of his speech because the rest of it made total sense.
Today when asked to clarify he only said "If you think i'm racist go f*** yourself." What a guy.
Personally when I read show them where it hurts and abstain from spending your money in their shops and economies I didn't think at all it was referring to white people. There's nothing in the context that suggests that to me. Why do you think otherwise?

I'd suggest the Daily Mail is a decent example of a racist business. Or how about businesses where race discrimination is repeatedly an issue in employment tribunals.

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:37 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:28 pm
Given some of the things that Fury has said I doubt it would be career over, you're right though that he would get a lot of stick for it.

Looking at the actual speech though I don't see where Joshua has said only spend your money in black establishments though so I'm not sure what the relevance is.

invest in black-owned businesses. That's for all communities, if you want to uplift yourselves - invest in your own businesses is a long way from what you're suggesting.

I don't disagree at all about the Saudi aspect, although that's a hypocrisy running through our (and a lot of other) whole society.
So are you actually advocating increased racial segregation? That is what he is suggesting. Buy from your own shops..whites buy from white only shops etc. How on earth would that improve the situation? Or is he just asking people to become entrepreneurs? :lol:

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:39 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:28 pm

Yes you're right - see when tensions and emotions are high this is how easy it is to misinterprete/misquote people rather than taking a back step and looking at it as a whole.

Absolutely with your final paragraph - we're all hypocrites I wish we could see that.

It's why I find it hard to get behind for example some weird new idea from a radical feminist that they're every so vocal about, yet are quiet about real issues effecting women in parts of the world like FGM/Rape/lack of rights etc

Not to derail the thread but I think with these issues more openness is needed and a willing for proper civil discourse to take place; not silly point scoring or reverting to name calling or throwing around labels to hush arguments.

A bloke with one opinion may well be a racist for example - but if you call him that you're hardly going to change his mind... You've got to show people.

Anyway, I digress

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:46 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:34 pm
Personally when I read show them where it hurts and abstain from spending your money in their shops and economies I didn't think at all it was referring to white people. There's nothing in the context that suggests that to me. Why do you think otherwise?

I'd suggest the Daily Mail is a decent example of a racist business. Or how about businesses where race discrimination is repeatedly an issue in employment tribunals.
The Daily Mail isn't racist. It's bogpaper but it isn't racist. It is right wing and you despise it's politics. A right leaning person would say the Guardian isn't worth wiping their arse on. Personally i don't get my news from rags that have a political leaning. They only give you the bias that you want. Mostly propaganda. So who are the "their" he refers to? It doesn't matter who he means, Can you not see that? He is advocating blacks buying from black businesses, whites from whites. May as well set up an apartheid system while we are at it yeah?

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:07 am

Somethingfishy wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:37 pm
So are you actually advocating increased racial segregation? That is what he is suggesting. Buy from your own shops..whites buy from white only shops etc. How on earth would that improve the situation? Or is he just asking people to become entrepreneurs? :lol:
I guess that depends on your definition of communities. If someone said to me invest in your community I wouldn't just be going to the white owned shops. I'd be going to black owned shops, Turkish owned, Kurdish owned, Iranian owned, Chinese owned, etc

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 997 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:40 am

In all the BLM marches I’ve seen, there has been a considerable % of white people present. You don’t have to be black to think that Black Lives Matter. To think that reveals a lot about such a person.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:21 am

aggi wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:07 am
I guess that depends on your definition of communities. If someone said to me invest in your community I wouldn't just be going to the white owned shops. I'd be going to black owned shops, Turkish owned, Kurdish owned, Iranian owned, Chinese owned, etc
So basically he is telling us to more or less do what we do now then? Buy local? I guess that explains it...thanks.

I didn't realise he was giving out consumer tips during a protest rally...cheers for the explanation. Mary Portas watch out....

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:17 am

Darnhill Claret wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:40 am
In all the BLM marches I’ve seen, there has been a considerable % of white people present. You don’t have to be black to think that Black Lives Matter. To think that reveals a lot about such a person.
The white sniveling wretches are pschycotic loaners and bitter anti Brexit students who need to get back to class.
Last edited by Bfcboyo on Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:24 am

Bfcboyo wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:17 am
The white sniveling wretches are pchycotic loaners and bitter anti Brexit students who need to get back to class.
Of course, because they’re the ones who need to learn how to spell
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie fatboy47

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:30 am

Predictive junk Mr Ibrahimovic

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:32 am

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:24 am
Of course, because they’re the ones who need to learn how to spell
My phone thinks your a can't. Useless tool
This user liked this post: fanzone

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:36 am

And you're too dumb to override your phone's auto system ? :roll:

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:40 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:36 am
And you're too dumb to override your phone's auto system ? :roll:
Yes Eddie I hate the damn thing. New fangled junk with all it's new ideas and fancy apps , complete waste of space. Reminds me of something.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:44 am

It’s OK, I always have a little trouble with spelling psychotic too, usually when replying to forum posts on this board. Because it’s a word that carries emotion I ensure I check the spelling.

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:48 am

Apologies to all pschychotic loaners if offended.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:51 am

Bfcboyo wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:40 am
Yes Eddie I hate the damn thing. New fangled junk with all it's new ideas and fancy apps , complete waste of space. Reminds me of something.

Don't be too harsh on yourself. You'll learn to cope one day.

Lockdown's hit you hard, has it ? ;)

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:59 am

:o What lock down?

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:02 am

8-)

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:18 am

Bfcboyo wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:48 am
Apologies to all pschychotic loaners if offended.
bank managers appear to be that way to those requesting a loan, although I think you meant psychotic loner (as in a person that prefers not to associate with others) which is a strange description for someone who would go to a BLM protest

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:24 am

A lot of the sadly predictable comments on here show exactly why the marches are happening
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan longsidepies

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:55 am

claret2018 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:24 am
A lot of the sadly predictable comments on here show exactly why the marches are happening
My thoughts exactly. Whilst they think they are putting across really good points against these protests all the comments on this and the George Floyd thread do is highlight what a real problem we have around ignorance and tolerance to this subject and they validate exactly why these protests are and should be happening
These 3 users liked this post: Zlatan longsidepies Rileybobs

padihamclaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by padihamclaret » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:44 am

One sentence spoils a really good speech. I can't help but take exception to it it and when people are seeing war memorials being desecrated and tens of thousands of people ignoring social distancing, you can't blame them for already being wound up
This user liked this post: bobinho

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:45 am

I am saddened that such a strong and powerfully good speech hasn't attracted more universal support due to that sentence, or part of it.
Encouraging people to invest in black business for me is similar to the buy British promotion I support. Of course that will not always be possible due to restrictions such as cost and availability.
Joshua has taken offence at the criticism, maybe because his heart was in the right place.
I am saddened not because I like Joshua, I have no feelings for him one way or the other. I am saddened because this criticism threatens the influence all high profile blacks who have suffered racism but still had the strength and support to make a success of their lives, can have on supporting other blacks in overcoming racism in their lives. As a white if a young black person came to me I would encourage them to listen to the likes of Joshua. I would not want them being put off from listening because they maybe are scared because of the criticism aimed his way
Yes organisations and governments matter but I believe it is down to individuals to make this happen and move this country forward.
I don't think we are as backward as a country as some are suggesting, however fear that if we don't get this right the divide will increase rather than the opposite.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:51 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:45 am
I am saddened that such a strong and powerfully good speech hasn't attracted more universal support due to that sentence, or part of it.
Encouraging people to invest in black business for me is similar to the buy British promotion I support. Of course that will not always be possible due to restrictions such as cost and availability.
Joshua has taken offence at the criticism, maybe because his heart was in the right place.
I am saddened not because I like Joshua, I have no feelings for him one way or the other. I am saddened because this criticism threatens the influence all high profile blacks who have suffered racism but still had the strength and support to make a success of their lives, can have on supporting other blacks in overcoming racism in their lives. As a white if a young black person came to me I would encourage them to listen to the likes of Joshua. I would not want them being put off from listening because they maybe are scared because of the criticism aimed his way
Yes organisations and governments matter but I believe it is down to individuals to make this happen and move this country forward.
I don't think we are as backward as a country as some are suggesting, however fear that if we don't get this right the divide will increase rather than the opposite.
The problem is, it could have been the best Martin Luther Kingesque speech ever. But the fact is he, and everyone else gathered en masse shouldnt have been there!

bobinho
Been Liked: 4071 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:10 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:47 pm
Seem clear enough to me.

He may well have been badly advised.... equally, he may not have and the comments are his own.

We may end up being fed some shite about context, but ultimately, he's dropped the ball here, in a very bad way.
Taken a while, but we got there in the end...