ARTICLE: Ten reasons why Burnley won a most unexpected promotion

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32235 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

ARTICLE: Ten reasons why Burnley won a most unexpected promotion

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:01 pm

Article from davet / rodleydave looking at our 2013/14 promotion

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/ten-reason ... -promotion
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: ARTICLE: Ten reasons why Burnley won a most unexpected promotion

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:09 pm

The 'Your Team For' threads were pretty boring that season :)
This user liked this post: dsr

matttheclaret
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by matttheclaret » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:00 pm

Good signings another very important reason.

Heaton, Jones and Arfield. Can't remember another summer where we signed three such good players on frees. They were terrific for us. Then Ashley Barnes in January more than played his part, especially when Vokes and Ings were injured.

But the Ings/Vokes partnership really was something else

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Just about my favourite season watching Burnley.

You could have fit them all in the back of a taxi, but what a fantastic team

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:27 pm

Fantastic wasn't it :D

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:48 pm

I was at Cork on the pre-season tour. It had been a hot day before the game in the evening and still very warm during the 'warm-up' directly in front of where we were sat. I was amazed at how rigorous it was especially considering the temperature,opposition and time of the season.
When I got home my brother asked me about the trip and the game and my reply was it was difficult to judge the team on one performance but there's no doubting we'll be a very fit team. So at least I got that right.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:04 pm

Brilliant season - one of my favourite ever as it was so unexpected.
It wasn’t just watching the new players like Scotty, Jones, Heaton etc it was also the development of others who we already had like Tripps, Vokes, Mee, Ings, Marney etc.

The whole team were brilliant that season - we played some great football and Ings was the best player in the league - but Vokes and Tripps were not far behind him.

We had a great partnership up front in Sam and Ings but then good back up with Barnes and the likes of Kightley being able to play a few positions across the forward line.

Arfield was a beast that season - I’d never heard of him and when someone comes on a free who has not been a regular at Huddersfield then you don’t expect to see a player as good as he was. He had skill, strength, stamina and was perfect for us.

But to me just as important as anything on the pitch to our success that year was the partnership between Marney and Jones. I will never for the life of me understand some of the criticism Jones got or those who did not understand what he brought to the team. We changed the way we played because of him and for the first time in years we had a player who could take the ball from our defence and keep the ball, play it to our full backs or put the ball into the channels behind their full backs. None of this stuff happens by accident or luck....it was worked out by Dyche and we did it on a shoe string - his net spend must have been negative given we got £4m in from selling Austin.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:25 pm

A fantastic, out-of-the-blue, glorious season. Some great memories ...for some reason I particularly remember the very exciting 3-3 at QPR as well as the earlier 2-0 win at home to them which, I think, was the day when I really started to believe we could go up. That first half against Forest at theTurf was magical and then the clincher at home to Wigan. Superb stuff !!!

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:29 pm

yep the 3-3 was tremendous. remember that because we were in a wine bar in Ormskirk that opened for us and we sat with a few scoops and bacon sandwiches... didn't we come so close to winning it?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:38 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:25 pm
A fantastic, out-of-the-blue, glorious season. Some great memories ...for some reason I particularly remember the very exciting 3-3 at QPR as well as the earlier 2-0 win at home to them which, I think, was the day when I really started to believe we could go up. That first half against Forest at theTurf was magical and then the clincher at home to Wigan. Superb stuff !!!
For the QPR home game I was in hospitality at the Turf and got to sit directly behind the away dugout. The view and perspective from that seat was totally different to where I usually sit in the Lower JM.
We were exceptional that day. The first Ings goal and the build up play with Sam which started near the half way line was brilliant - a really great goal.
Tripps took a really bad knock on his thigh - it happened near me as it was in the second half and he was playing on the Bob Lord side. He was limping for 5 or 10 mins and it looked like he would be going off - but he did not want to be taken off and played through it. The quality of his play that day and seeing what he could do close up was one of the reasons I have him down as the best player I have ever seen in a burnley shirt.

One other thing about that game - Joe Jordan was an absolute disgrace. He was constantly for the whole game abusing the officials - and it was clear that Redknapp was allowing him to do so and this was what they did week in week out. I’ve never been a big fan of Redknapp - always thought he was over rated massively and wasted so much money at clubs but he went down even further in my estimation after that game. It was embarrassing.

grapidianclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by grapidianclaret » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:42 pm

Seems much further away than 7 years. It really was an amazing season. That goal against Wigan,Barnes falling over the advertisement hoarding in his effort to celebrate closer to the fans.Absolutely magical.The QPR home game when it was billed as the top two teams and we demolished them.Was that the game where Barton got hit in the head with a bottle, yet talked admiringly about Burnleys style of play?

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:57 pm

Despite the amazing start to the season, I was 100% expecting it to fall away up until that QPR game. We all thought we had a chance after that.

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by bodge » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:30 pm

Dean Marney had a magnificent season, one of the fittest players i've seen, integral to our pressing game and he became expert at the long diagonal to Tripps.

Particularly enjoyed the Yeovil away game, a 2 nighter in Bath for my birthday and a howitzer from Ings to set us up for 3 points.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:15 pm

Understandable really that we thought we would slip away considering our status in that league but we just kept picking up points. Two wins just prior to Christmas convinced me we were 'in with a shout' and they were scrappy victories over Blackpool and Barnsley; Kightly certainly got the winner v Barnsley but forgotten who got it v Blackpool.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:35 pm

Superb analysis. The only word I would question is “journeymen”. I pointed out on our former home we had a team of players who had experienced promotions mixed with youngsters with age group caps and something to play for. The meld was phenomenal.
The x factor that nobody could have predicted was Vings. They struck gold together. Where we would have finished if Charlie had stayed thankfully we will never know.
This user liked this post: Royboyclaret

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:12 pm

Good read that,
its strange how these events seem so recent in the memory, but then you realise how many seasons ago it was.
great days, some incredible matches and goals and incidents.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:24 pm

Honourable mention for Ben Mee too who played the entirety of that season at left back, which as we know now is most definitely not his best position. He was great though.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:32 pm

Marney constantly in the refs ear, and not just when he'd chopped someone.

Not always ranting, just manipulating a little bit. 8-)

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:36 am

I don’t think I was confident until after the Rovers game but looking back it’s clear how much better we were than the teams below us all season.
Leicester were some way ahead and it was disappointing we played them at home when we did with the injuries.

The other contenders kept turning up and being completely outplayed, even if the score line didn’t necessarily suggest it. Reading, QPR, Forest, Derby, even Wigan were on an incredible run when we played them.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:00 am

That pre-season offered lots of belief - it was pretty clear our first XI had the potential to do very well but the apparent lack of depth was a concern. So the section there on injury and Mark Howard should not be understated.

The early midweek away game at Doncaster was when I really thought we were promotion candidates. We went top that night, without playing especially well we showed an extraordinary 'will to win' and I recall the Lancs Telegraph ran a headline on its match report saying something like: 'Burnley just keep on winning' - there was little else to say. also agree with others that the home match with QPR really cemented that belief amongst the home support. One of those types of games that had been an anti climax in previous times when expectations has perhaps got too high.

When you are a Burnley fan and you win away at Ipswich, you can be forgiven for thinking something special is stirring !

Most remarkable of all is that we won the league with exactly the same points and goal difference record two seasons later. Often think that achievement gets strangely overlooked when I have read sportswriter's analysis of Sean Dyche's career - you couldn't dream up a better example of Dyche's management approach delivering consistent outcomes than that.