Who will benefit from this strange season?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Who will benefit from this strange season?

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:46 pm

Liverpool should enjoy the break after so many games and were starting to lose a few.
It should be a massive benefit to them.

Norwich- I have a funny feeling they will enjoy playing their brand of football in empty stadiums with no pressure from fans.

Everton- they seem to have a few injuries at the minute but the extra months working with Ancelotti should be of huge benefit.

Burnley- I'm not sure either way if it will benefit us or not. We will miss the home backing for sure and were full of confidence on the unbeaten run but the players might enjoy the rest.

The foreign players might just enjoy playing in the warmer temperatures though.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Re: Who will benefit from this strange season?

Post by conyoviejo » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:57 pm

Bournemouth should do,as they will have a fully fit squad to pick from..

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:08 pm

Aston Villa will have John McGinn back and fully fit. He's a big player for them and ran the show when we went to Villa Park.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:37 pm

its going to be a bit odd, all the momentum has gone , there will be teams playing either very well or very badly that wouldn't have if the season had continued in march.it will be interesting to see how all teams fare with no crowds . I feel liverpool will begin to appear very ordinary and start losing, but it won't matter much.the empty stadium lack of atmosphere will favour the lesser teams.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:46 pm

Listening to the radio earlier and one of the blokes kept mentioning form, but the other lad correctly said that there isn't any form to refer too, it's all gone out the window, the momentum of lack of vanished with the lockdown.

It's going to feel like the start of a new season so it's going to be interesting.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:46 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:08 pm
Aston Villa will have John McGinn back and fully fit. He's a big player for them and ran the show when we went to Villa Park.
McGinn is a massive lift for Villa. Could be the quality that keeps them up. Overall though, it depends on how well clubs keep players fit. Even small injuries will keep players out for the remainder of the season now they’re all crammed in to a month.

It’s annoying for us that we were about to play City whilst on a great run, just before they were playing Real. The combination of our momentum and their distraction could’ve thrown out a surprise. Also unfortunate that it’s now our first game back. Watford would’ve been nicer.

That said, 5 of our 9 are away, so that’s fallen kindly and we might pick up unexpected points on the road.

Big test for Sean and the players - can they be one of the winners of this mini-league?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:05 pm

Man Utd and Tottenham have injured players returning, so they should be stronger on paper, and their lack of match fitness shouldn't be as much of a problem as it is ordinarily, as everyone's in the same boat.

The teams that were on good runs prior to the stoppage, were ourselves, Arsenal and Man U, so that momentum will sadly be lost.

Bournemouth and especially Brighton could benefit, Brighton were on a dire run, and looked destined for the drop before the enforced break.

The kicker for us is that the teams around us won't have the distraction of domestic cups, Europe and international breaks, which normally would have been the case.

I'm just happy we put those points on the board when we did, it could have been squeaky bum time otherwise.

Agree about McGinn and Villa he could be the difference between survival or not.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:33 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:05 pm
Man Utd and Tottenham have injured players returning, so they should be stronger on paper, and their lack of match fitness shouldn't be as much of a problem as it is ordinarily, as everyone's in the same boat.

The teams that were on good runs prior to the stoppage, were ourselves, Arsenal and Man U, so that momentum will sadly be lost.

Bournemouth and especially Brighton could benefit, Brighton were on a dire run, and looked destined for the drop before the enforced break.

The kicker for us is that the teams around us won't have the distraction of domestic cups, Europe and international breaks, which normally would have been the case.

I'm just happy we put those points on the board when we did, it could have been squeaky bum time otherwise.

Agree about McGinn and Villa he could be the difference between survival or not.
Let’s hope Man United and Arsenal’s momentum is lost but ours isn’t :lol: :lol:

Hadn’t thought about the impact of the CL/FA Cup being moved back. Good point. No advantage to getting knocked out early this year then :(

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:29 am

the big teams with big squads can suddenly use 5 subs - gives them a big advantage imho

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:14 am

Have I heard correctly Sky are televising all games? Not sure I'd be interested in that with no crowds. Does anybody know what will happen next season with regards to spectators?

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:33 am

A lot of clubs have important players back from long term injuries but it will be interesting to see how match fit they are.
We’ve seen from some of our long term injuries just how long it takes to get them ready to play at this level.

You could argue that most players won’t be match fit after 3 months off and just a couple of practice matches but some of these like McGinn, Brooks have been out a lot longer.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:09 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:33 am
A lot of clubs have important players back from long term injuries but it will be interesting to see how match fit they are.
We’ve seen from some of our long term injuries just how long it takes to get them ready to play at this level.

You could argue that most players won’t be match fit after 3 months off and just a couple of practice matches but some of these like McGinn, Brooks have been out a lot longer.
Agree. Logic would suggest it will take these players longer to find fitness and form than those playing regularly until a March. A month isn’t a long time to regain form either.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2691 times

Post by fatboy47 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:09 am

Healeywoodclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:14 am
Have I heard correctly Sky are televising all games? Not sure I'd be interested in that with no crowds. Does anybody know what will happen next season with regards to spectators?
No, but there's a few will pretend they do.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:17 am

Healeywoodclaret wrote:
I like the way Sean approaches subs. I’m old fashioned with subs myself and think they should be used for injuries/prevention, to support players returning from injury or tactical swaps. I don’t agree with rotation, particularly for us, who tend to only have one game a week - footballers at their peak should be able to play 90 a week.

Now we potentially have 2-3 games a week, will be interesting to see how Sean adapts. I’d still say they can keep fairly consistent teams barring injuries, providing training is reduced accordingly.

The potential advantage of this for us is that some of the bigger clubs have managers with ego’s. They’ll over use it and end up lacking rhythm.

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:34 am

Healeywoodclaret wrote:
They're all televised, but split between Sky, BT, Amazon and BBC. Sky have the lion's share.

With regard to spectators, the authorities are planning a " test event " in the forseeable future. If all goes well, we can expect to be allowed back sometime this autumn.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:40 am

As others have mentioned, 5 subs in international friendlies never seemed to benefit anyone.

As long as it doesn't waste any more time.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:57 am

Healeywoodclaret wrote:
No, of the 92 games remaining, Sky have 54, BT Sport have 20, Amazon & BBC both have 4.

Of those, 25 from Sky are free to air as are those on Amazon & BBC - so 33 games are free to air.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:06 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:40 am
As others have mentioned, 5 subs in international friendlies never seemed to benefit anyone.

Interesting point about time wasting. I forget who said it now but I read somewhere that there seems to be more time spent playing rather than stoppages without fans present in the football played so far like this. The implication being that players are less inclined to roll around and feign injury when there aren’t any fans to play up to.

We’ll see how that pans out in the PL but if so it’ll be a welcome addition.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:19 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... ue-resumes

Since the Bundesliga began again behind closed doors, the home side is half as likely to win as it was before

Bottom 3 Norwich, Villa Bournemouth.
Hardest remaining away fixtures Norwich, Villa, Bournemouth & Liverpool.

Might see the bottom three pick up some point where previously we'd have said no chance.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:47 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:40 am

Shouldn't do too much as there's still only 3 breaks allowed to make subs.

Can't say I notice time wasting as much when watching on telly tbh.