Trevor Steven

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
daveyclaret
Been Liked: 23 times

Trevor Steven

Post by daveyclaret » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:50 pm

Yesterday I was watching the Sky documentary, ‘Everton, Howard’s Way’ made in 2019 which covered Howard Kendall’s Everton in the mid 1980s. The documentary had footage from Everton games and from Everton players of the time giving their personal input. Hearing Trevor Steven who was a big part of Kendall’s Everton teams evoked memories of his time with the Clarets.

For Clarets’ fans who can remember seeing Trevor in a claret & blue shirt for the first team, what’s your memories of him and how good did you think he was with the Clarets and, at the time, how good did you think he would be in his career?

Trevor only played 2 seasons as a Burnley first teamer. He made his first team debut aged 18 early in the 1981/2 season in the old Third Division which ended with the Clarets finishing as Champions and promoted to the old Second Division. Trevor played the following season, 1982/3, in the Second Division which ended with the Clarets relegated back to the Third Division after finishing second bottom. At the end of that season, Trevor, aged 19, was transferred to Everton for £300K.

From Claret Tony’s Players’ stats, Trevor’s stats:
League games -74 appearances, 11 goals.
Cups – 23 appearances, 5 goals.

The first time I saw Trevor play for the first team, he wore number 8, played midfield, and it was clear to me that he was an exceptional talent and that he would be some player as his career progressed and it proved so with him winning Championships at Everton, Marseille, and Rangers, winning the European Cup Winners Cup,English FA Cup, and winning 30 odd England caps. He was head and shoulders above Third Division standard and he stood out in what became a very good Clarets team as the season wore on and finished strongly to win the Third Division championship. The following season in the Second Division, he stood out in lot of games but tended to fade as he was up against better class midfielders and who were physically stronger as Trevor had a slight frame.

Out of his 16 goals for the Clarets, I recall 2 goals vividly. The first of these 2 goals was against Altrincham in the FA Cup 3rd Round played at the Turf in January 1982. Clarets played really well that game and thrashed Altrincham who at the time had a reputation of Cup giant killers. Trevor’s goal was a 25 yarder or so screamer in the top corner of the goal at the Cricket Field Stand. There’s a lengthy match report by a Mr Barry Pikesley on the Altrincham FC website. Here’s parts of that report:

Prior to confronting the Robins, Burnley had been experiencing a relatively disappointing season and they were occupying 18th position in the old Football League Division Three with the following record in league fixtures: played: 20; won: six; drawn: eight; lost: six; goals scored: 26; goals conceded: 28 and points accumulated: 26 out of a possible tally of 60.

Inspired by a sublime performance from their 18-year-old midfield prodigy, Trevor Steven (whose career would subsequently include successful spells with Everton; Glasgow Rangers and Olympique de Marseille, as well as eliciting the award of a total of 36 England Full International caps), Burnley duly punished such arrant profligacy by the Robins. As the one-time editor of the Robins Review, Paul Brady, laments: “We came up against Burnley's budding star Trevor Steven, who simply tore us apart in one of the most hopelessly one-sided games that I've ever seen Altrincham suffer.”

I’ll leave the closing reflections on that particularly tortuous evening in Lancashire to Alty diehard, Phil Jordan: “A painful experience - but one which generated a happy ending some months later. I went to Turf Moor convinced that we could give Burnley a game. After all, they were hovering around the Third Division relegation zone and we'd had good results against better placed teams than that! In all my years of watching Altrincham, I have never before or since seen a team take us apart so comprehensively. We didn't actually play that badly. But, in the end, we were lucky it was ‘only’ six. Burnley looked the most complete side that I'd seen in a very long time.

“So, where’s the happy ending? Well, I went into Eric Barber's bookmakers in Altrincham on the following weekend and enquired as to what odds I could have on Burnley being promoted. I was offered 66-1 on them winning the league and duly placed a £2 each way bet. They got promoted - and I picked up £35 at the end of the season.

The other goal was against Rotherham at the Turf in September 1982 in the Second Division. Clarets went into that game following two successive 4-1 league wins against Middlesbrough and Carlisle and I was confident Clarets would beat Rotherham. Trevor’s goal was another 25 yarder or so into the top corner but at the Beehole End. The goal was scored minutes into the second half and some minutes later, Trevor got crocked by Rotherham. Clarets subsequently lost the game, 2-1. Rotherham were relegated with the Clarets to the Third Division at the end of that season.

Dwight is the best young player Clarets have had since Trevor. Difficult to compare the two like for like in their times at Burnley as Dwight is playing at a higher level in the Premier League whilst Trevor played in the old Second and Third Divisions. Initially, Trevor struggled in the old First Division with Everton but eventually came good as he had the talent. For me, in his career away from Burnley, Trevor is the better player but Dwight has the talent and capability to be an equally good player when he eventually leaves Burnley.

Below is a photograph, bottom right, of one of his other goals for the Clarets.
20220616_161150_0001.JPG
20220616_161150_0001.JPG (524.18 KiB) Viewed 6549 times
These 3 users liked this post: Rowls MrTopTier Holmeclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Re: Trevor Steven

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:13 pm

My first memory of Trevor is going down Gawthorpe to watch a pre season game. Back then we'd put the A/B team up against such as Colne Dynamoes and Padiham Wanderers. In one of these games this young kid aged 16 came on as a sub and looked a different class to everyone else on the pitch.

I was stood next to George Bray, not someone prone to going over the top. I said to George: "Who's this George? He looks a bit special." George replied with: "He's not bad."

It was Trevor.

A few other Burnley links on the programme - Colin Harvey, Alan Harper and Adrian Heath.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3845 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:20 pm

I used to watch Everton in the 80s with my dad.

I can still remember the ground shouting skin him as one, every time Trevor Steven got the ball.

He played right wing for Everton in a great side.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1679 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:25 pm

Followed that cup win with a disappointing defeat in the next round at Shrewsbury. A lot of promising young players made their mark that season and Trevor Steven was at the forefront. I recall he seemed to glide along the pitch and had ability I hadn't seen from a youngster in a fair while. As his career progressed he became a wide right sided player and his rewards are there for all to see.
Couple of points to add; firstly the tie v Altrincham had a bit of 'edge' to it as they believed they were in with a good chance of victory. Understandable considering our league position but we were starting to find some momentum around that time.
Secondly, I recall a home league game around March time v Reading, both sides looking for promotion and it was seen as a battle between two young future starlets with Trevor Steven for us and Neil Webb for Reading. Where has the time gone??

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:32 pm

The first time I saw him play I told my neighbour we have a gift from god.
Even at 16 he was way above third tier level.
My abiding memory was a home match against Lincoln, a big game as we were both in the promotion battle. He ran the game but the moment that sticks was him running at them dropping a shoulder and not touching the ball but the defender bit on it and disappeared. He then did exactly the same to the next defender. It doesn’t happen at top level they watch the ball but it was special.
The biggest compliment I can pay him is at 16 he was doing what Ralph Coates did in his prime. The whole team knew if they were under pressure they could get the ball to him and he would protect it then use it to our advantage. An absolute joy to watch.
I was lucky enough to be at Wembley when he scored his first international goal, against Rep. of Ireland. A match that contained more than 20 English born players.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:33 pm

If Trevor Steven was playing now he would be worth at least £60m I reckon. He’d also be playing for a top 3 side - which Everton were back then.
I reminder him when he broke through to the Burnley team and he just used to glide along the pitch and whilst it was not clear how good he was going to end up it was pretty clear soon enough that he was far too good for us and the level we were at back then.

I remember our sixth form team getting the actual yellow away strip donated to us by Burnley FC and I grabbed Trevor Stevens straight away and had it for the whole season !

He had a great career for England and Everton, Marseille and Rangers and he won plenty of honours. I never heard a bad word spoken about him by any team mate, manager or fan at any of his clubs and he conducted himself on and off the pitch as well as I can remember any footballer.

Only regret is that we did not have him for longer in a Burnley shirt....or you could flip that and say we were lucky to have him !!

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7522 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:30 pm

One of those players who could make the game look so easy.
A classy, top player.

trawdenclaret
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by trawdenclaret » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:38 pm

Loved watching Trevor Steven play, Remember him making Graeme Souness look pretty ordinary in central midfield left him on his backside on more than one occasion a very well balanced player.

HB Claret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:59 pm

I always thought he had all the time in the world - one of the best players I have ever seen in a Burnley shirt - he just oozed class.

MarbellaClaret
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarbellaClaret » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Great player I also remember at Anfield he embarrassed Souness who then tried to kick him instead of the ball and failed.
Remember the Liverpool midfield as Souness (captain of Scotland), Sammy Lee (England regular) and I think Jimmy Case all out played with ease by a young Trevor.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:00 pm

Trevor played with his head up. It was that simple(?). He controlled the ball so effortlessly that he was always looking for where to play it not down at his feet. Interesting that Waddle always got more plaudits on the other side for England but to me he wasn’t half the player Trevor was.

Claret Toni
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Claret Toni » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:20 pm

trawdenclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:38 pm
Loved watching Trevor Steven play, Remember him making Graeme Souness look pretty ordinary in central midfield left him on his backside on more than one occasion a very well balanced player.
..and it was Souness who signed Trevor Steven for Rangers.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:29 pm

Cannot remember any specific matches, however, I remember watching him play and he controlled the play...just like Ralph used to!

bobinho
Been Liked: 4071 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:30 pm

Proper footballer. Real class.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5004 times
Has Liked: 6722 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:31 pm

Great player and I actually saw him a couple of times in the centre spot at supporters events after he left.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:38 pm

daveyclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:50 pm
Clarets went into that game following two successive 4-1 league wins against Middlesbrough and Carlisle .......
At that early stage in the season wasn't it the case that all the outfield players had scored.

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 189 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:01 pm

Have to say Trevor Steven was a joy to watch my all time top claret that I have seen play for the clarets live utc

International class
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by International class » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:38 pm

Another one of the gems we always seemed to unearth from the north east.

Wonderful footballer.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:46 pm

andyh wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:00 pm
Trevor played with his head up. It was that simple(?).
That's spot on, he had perfect balance because of that too. Keith McNee, the local journalist at the time, always likened him to Johan Cryuff in style.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:05 pm

A frlend of mine, a very good semi pro in his day told me that yougsters at Everton were shown film of Trevor Steven with the ball and told 'Thats how you do it'.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:17 pm

A 14 year old Herts with Trevor Steven and David Miller taken in the dressing room. It was a pre season open day.
FB_IMG_1535753417637.jpg
FB_IMG_1535753417637.jpg (36.85 KiB) Viewed 5184 times
These 5 users liked this post: dermotdermot mkmel Buxtonclaret LeadBelly chekhov

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:48 am

I remember the two milk cup games against a Liverpool. Years later I heard Souness reminisce about those two games after signing Trevor Steven for Rangers

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7522 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:14 am

Herts Clarets wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:17 pm
A 14 year old Herts with Trevor Steven and David Miller taken in the dressing room. It was a pre season open day. FB_IMG_1535753417637.jpg
Great pic, Herts.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:18 am

Saw Steven play at Cambridge the season the club went down. Despite being the best player on pitch by a country mile they lost to a workmanlike team 2 - 0, the start of another string of defeats. The two strikers Donovan & Taylor were unable to capitalise and the team looked goners.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:25 am

Where was the Everton documentary on? Which channel?

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:01 am

Unfortunately my outstanding memory of him came when he scored the winner at Goodison in the semi final of Cup winners cup when he glided past the German defence and scored what turned out to be the winner. Classy player.

daveyclaret
Been Liked: 23 times

Post by daveyclaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:55 pm

Hipper

‘At that early stage in the season wasn’t it the case that all outfield players had scored’.

No, not quite. Nine of the ten outfield players scored (nine out of eleven if you count the one substitute at the time, Steve Taylor, who was the substitute for these games). Only outfield player not to score was David Holt. Preceding those 4-1 league wins against Middlesbrough and Carlisle was a 5-3 first leg win at Bury in the then Milk Cup. So going into the Rotherham game Clarets had scored 13 goals in 3 wins. In the 9 goals Clarets scored in the Bury and Middlesbrough games, they were scored by nine different players. The 4 goals scored in the Carlisle victory were scored by Billy Hamilton who got a hat trick including two penalties and Paul McGee. Both players had scored in the previous games, Billy at Middlesbrough, Paul at Bury.

Below is what Brian Miller said in the match programme for the Rotherham game. Note that Brian does not mention the 4-1 win against Carlisle as that was a midweek game between the Middlesbrough and Rotherham games.
20220617_123027_0001.JPG
20220617_123027_0001.JPG (490.08 KiB) Viewed 4702 times

Foulthrow

‘Where was the Everton documentary on? Which channel?

I have Virgin Media and the Everton documentary was shown Channel 277, Sky Documentaries. The Everton documentary is being shown again tomorrow morning, Wednesday, at 06.00, on Channel 277.

ClaretLoup

‘Saw Steven play at Cambridge the season the club went down. Despite being the best player on the pitch by a country mile, they lost to a workmanlike team, 2-0, the start of a string of defeats. The two strikers, Donovan and Taylor, were unable to capitalise and the team looked goners’.

After that Cambridge defeat, Clarets played 4 league games in an eleven day period and lost them all – Wolves (h) lost 0-1, Blackburn (a) lost 2-1, Leeds (h) lost 2-1, Oldham (a) lost 3-0. That run of defeats was ended with an away draw at Carlisle, 1-1. There’s footage of the Wolves game on the internet at the1888letter.com/burnley-v-wolverhampton-wanderers-1983

The Cambridge result and the following 4 defeats and draw were in the aftermath of the Milk Cup run and the two legs with Liverpool in the semi final and the 2 games with Sheffield Wednesday in FA Cup Quarter Final. The Milk Cup and FA Cup runs, as good and exiting they were, I thought at the time they had taken a lot out of the Clarets team and squad and they didn’t appear to put the same emphasis on the league games. The league campaign that season was disappointing with Clarets rooted in the bottom three for almost all the season. On reflection, if Clarets hadn’t had the cup runs, then I’m of the view that they were stayed in the second division that season.
This user liked this post: Hipper

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:36 pm

I seem to remember him coming on as a sub for England, perhaps as a wing back, in the World Cup quarter final against Cameroon in 1990 and making two crucial tackles that prevented the opposition from scoring. Without those tackles, England could have lost the game.

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:58 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:25 pm
Followed that cup win with a disappointing defeat in the next round at Shrewsbury. A lot of promising young players made their mark that season and Trevor Steven was at the forefront. I recall he seemed to glide along the pitch and had ability I hadn't seen from a youngster in a fair while. As his career progressed he became a wide right sided player and his rewards are there for all to see.
Couple of points to add; firstly the tie v Altrincham had a bit of 'edge' to it as they believed they were in with a good chance of victory. Understandable considering our league position but we were starting to find some momentum around that time.
Secondly, I recall a home league game around March time v Reading, both sides looking for promotion and it was seen as a battle between two young future starlets with Trevor Steven for us and Neil Webb for Reading. Where has the time gone??
In the game at Elm Park in the previous November, Webb opened the scoring and Trevor equalised. If I remember rightly the goals were similar drives from the edge of the box. I think Kerry Dixon was also in the Reading side that day.
Last edited by Culmclaret on Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Anonymous

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:00 pm

Thanks for the heads up daveyclaret found the documentary now.

My favourite bit is that Neville Southall is wearing a Fitbit in his interviews.

Burypaddy
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Burypaddy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:18 pm

My all time favourite claret, he wasn't around for long but oozed class even on the knee deep pitches that we played on then, just glided on the surface. Class

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:27 am

I watched the Howard's Way programme, a very good watch with Trevor featuring regularly. One of the Everton players said Trevor could walk through puddles and he wouldn't get his feet wet, he just seemed to glide across the turf.

Some players from that side have aged better than others. I recognised most that appeared apart from one who I thought must have been a kit man or something as as he looked so much older than even the likes of Peter Reid and the unit that is Big Nev. Then I realised it was full back John Bailey....
Attachments
hw1.jpg
hw1.jpg (64.38 KiB) Viewed 4083 times

chekhov
Been Liked: 804 times
Has Liked: 1513 times

Post by chekhov » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:42 am

Herts Clarets wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:17 pm
A 14 year old Herts with Trevor Steven and David Miller taken in the dressing room. It was a pre season open day. FB_IMG_1535753417637.jpg
That’s a picture to treasure!

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1209 times
Has Liked: 7099 times

Post by Quicknick » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:14 am

The best player ever to play at level 3. He was 17. Truly amazing.
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1209 times
Has Liked: 7099 times

Post by Quicknick » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:15 am

chekhov wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:42 am
That’s a picture to treasure!
TS looks trim.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:59 am

Can't remember the first time I saw him play, match wise, but from the first touch he oozed class.
Could play in any position on the pitch and look a natural.
Stood out on the pitch the way VVD did for Southampton, he was miles ahead of everyone else.
Everything was effortless.
He just didn't seem to have bad days, always on form.
The expectation when he got the ball wondering what he would conjure up.

The only downside was never seeing him play at the very top in a Claret and Blue shirt.

You all know how divisive this mb is when it comes to opinion on footballers, the true measure is everyone who had the pleasure of watching him play will agree he was brilliant, even the old boys lucky enough to remember the Champions in 1960.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:12 am

Excellent player....and what a terrific midfield combination of Steven and Tommy Cassidy.

Spike
Been Liked: 595 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:29 am

Im_not_Robbie_Blake wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:12 am
Excellent player....and what a terrific midfield combination of Steven and Tommy Cassidy.
Tommy Cassidy must have been some player in his prime he just strolled around and stoked the ball around. He by this time couldn’t run anyway.
I loved that team with Wharton and Young doing the running and Trevor Steven providing the class from the youngsters in the team.
Trevor Steven was a very gifted footballer

Rumpelstiltskin
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 2712 times

Post by Rumpelstiltskin » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:56 am

Spike wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:29 am
Tommy Cassidy must have been some player in his prime he just strolled around and stoked the ball around. He by this time couldn’t run anyway.
I loved that team with Wharton and Young doing the running and Trevor Steven providing the class from the youngsters in the team.
Trevor Steven was a very gifted footballer
Tommy Cassidy had done a good job but really was on his last legs...After promotion to Division 1 I think Danny Wilson was very close to signing as Tommy’s replacement but for whatever reason the deal didn’t happen.Without an alternative signing the midfield was short...Also Vince Overson was badly missed for most of the season with a long term injury and our young side was relegated back to the third level.The outstanding young talent Trevor Steven moved onwards and upwards to Everton.

Spike
Been Liked: 595 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:38 pm

I agree Tommy Cassidy was only good for that one season