Transfer rumours: Tarkowski

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 831 times

Transfer rumours: Tarkowski

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:30 am

"Leicester City are battling Crystal Palace for the signature of Burnley and England centre-back James Tarkowski".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/53055537

alboclaret
Been Liked: 143 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Re: Transfer rumours: Tarkowski

Post by alboclaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:46 am

Crystal palace
:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:55 am

Think they'd be better battling BFC first as he's contracted here.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:00 am

Don't worry - we've got Ben Gibson as replacement 8-)

ClaretAndBlue94
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by ClaretAndBlue94 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:50 am

The article in the Mirror cannot even get the facts of its story correct.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:52 am

Can’t help but laugh at them mentioning Palace :lol: :lol: If Leicester weren’t prepared to pay the going rate with £80m burning a hole in their pockets last season, they sure as hell won’t this season.

I assume Gibson still not training with us? Completely burnt his bridges?

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:17 am

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:52 am
Can’t help but laugh at them mentioning Palace :lol: :lol: If Leicester weren’t prepared to pay the going rate with £80m burning a hole in their pockets last season, they sure as hell won’t this season.

Good question. Where is he?

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:25 am

Stayingup wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:17 am
Good question. Where is he?
Presumably training at Boro?

Seems even poorer decision (by him) now that the Championship clubs will be less able to pay his wages and we have a 9 game mini-league where he’d be likely to get more game time.
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley Ace MT03ALG

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:45 am

Tarkowski only has 2 years left on his contract. So realistically if he won't sign another we'll get one more season out of him before we have to cash in next summer.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:01 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:45 am
Tarkowski only has 2 years left on his contract. So realistically if he won't sign another we'll get one more season out of him before we have to cash in next summer.
Don’t we have an option to take an additional year?

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:06 am

Not according to squad list

matttheclaret
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by matttheclaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:21 am

Realistically, we have 3/4 sellable assets who would generate decent money. Tarkowski, Pope and McNeil (possibly Taylor). I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is sold this summer

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:23 am

I can't see him going to Palace, Leicester perhaps would interest him, and if they get good money for Chilwell, then they might come calling.

Now the questions are, do Burnley have to sell to balance the books, and does Tarks want away, if the answer to either of those is yes, then we might have no option but to listen to offers, that's the reality for clubs like us.

And as has been pointed out he's into the last 2 years of his present contract, so if we don't sell this summer, and he doesn't extend, we'll face the same conundrum in 12 months time, but we'll be looking at his value being reduced.

I sincerely hope Tarks does stay, as his partnership with Ben is integral to our success, and the solid base they along with the rest of the back 5 provide, has allowed us to be competitive in this division.

But if he chooses to go he goes with my best wishes, and i'm sure Sean will find a replacement, if there's one thing Sean knows it's how to build a defensive structure.

Keane Left and we wondered how'd fill the void, and Tarks stepped into the breach, so if and when Tarks takes the plunge, i'm not overly concerned,as i have faith in the gaffer to source his replacement.

Ben Gibson can go and train in the Amazon as far as i'm concerned, however pragmatism dictates we'll have to try and ship him out for some income, let's hope Boro are still willing to spend,or another ambitious Championship club, or a lower level PL side show an interest in his services.

If both Gibson and Tarks go, then we only have Long and Mee as 1st choice centre-backs, so we will have to dip into the market, as we can't risk either picking up a long-term injury in such a pivotal position, and leaving us relying on a youth player, not in the PL, it's too cutthroat a league to be blooding a rookie.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:41 am

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:25 am

Seems even poorer decision (by him) now that the Championship clubs will be less able to pay his wages and we have a 9 game mini-league where he’d be likely to get more game time.
Yes he's training with Boro, he has posted pictures of himself doing so.

It wasnt his decision, I'm led to believe he was banished from our training ground by the management.
So for obvious reasons, he returned back up there to train and keep fit.

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 831 times

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:43 am

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:23 am
I can't see him going to Palace, Leicester perhaps would interest him, and if they get good money for Chilwell, then they might come calling.

Now the questions are, do Burnley have to sell to balance the books, and does Tarks want away, if the answer to either of those is yes, then we might have no option but to listen to offers, that's the reality for clubs like us.

And as has been pointed out he's into the last 2 years of his present contract, so if we don't sell this summer, and he doesn't extend, we'll face the same conundrum in 12 months time, but we'll be looking at his value being reduced.

I sincerely hope Tarks does stay, as his partnership with Ben is integral to our success, and the solid base they along with the rest of the back 5 provide, has allowed us to be competitive in this division.

But if he chooses to go he goes with my best wishes, and i'm sure Sean will find a replacement, if there's one thing Sean knows it's how to build a defensive structure.

Keane Left and we wondered how'd fill the void, and Tarks stepped into the breach, so if and when Tarks takes the plunge, i'm not overly concerned,as i have faith in the gaffer to source his replacement.

Ben Gibson can go and train in the Amazon as far as i'm concerned, however pragmatism dictates we'll have to try and ship him out for some income, let's hope Boro are still willing to spend,or another ambitious Championship club, or a lower level PL side show an interest in his services.

If both Gibson and Tarks go, then we only have Long and Mee as 1st choice centre-backs, so we will have to dip into the market, as we can't risk either picking up a long-term injury in such a pivotal position, and leaving us relying on a youth player, not in the PL, it's too cutthroat a league to be blooding a rookie.
Does anyone know what the situation with Bardsley is? If we lose both Bardsley and Tarks the defence resources will be badly depleted.

I think that Taylor can also play central defence but I am not sure how good he would be in the Premiership in that role. Kevin Long is a decent Premiership standard central defender but a couple of injuries and we are struggling to put a decent back four together . I think that if we lose Bards and Tarks they will both need replacing.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:44 am

Hopefully get 1 more season out of Tarky then fully cash in ,same with Dwight.Though Tarky probs only about 50/50 to stay and I’d imagine we’ll need to cash in on 1 of our main assets with possibly Pope getting a decent sum

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:01 am

MACCA wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:41 am
Yes he's training with Boro, he has posted pictures of himself doing so.

It wasnt his decision, I'm led to believe he was banished from our training ground by the management.
So for obvious reasons, he returned back up there to train and keep fit.
Who leads you to believe that? And why was he allegedly banished?

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:04 am

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:25 am

I doubt he would get any more game time. There's no reason to suspect that Mee and Tarkowski can't do 9 matches in 6 weeks. They've both played in the lower leagues.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:09 am

We have to try and ease Gibson out of the club carefully or he could just do a “Winston Bogarde” on us and sit out the next 2 years pocketing his fat wages.

Whatever happens to Tarks I wish him the best and if he goes to Leicester he might get Champions League football unlike Palace where it is likely to be a relegation fight if Zaha goes.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:20 am

dsr wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:01 am
Who leads you to believe that? And why was he allegedly banished?
Well I wouldn't say that would I, as IF it is true , and I've no reason not to believe it as it all makes sense then I'd be possibly get someone in trouble.

It will all come out in the wash soon enough.

Players don't get frozen out of clubs, and told not to return unless a serious incident occurred...
I'd go as far to say IF true, he wont play for Burnley again

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:24 am

Dy1geo wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:09 am
We have to try and ease Gibson out of the club carefully or he could just do a “Winston Bogarde” on us and sit out the next 2 years pocketing his fat wages.

Whatever happens to Tarks I wish him the best and if he goes to Leicester he might get Champions League football unlike Palace where it is likely to be a relegation fight if Zaha goes.
Re Gibson I doubt it, we will probably have to offer him some sort of compensation to make up the rest of his wages should he not find a club willing to pay what he's on here, unless he decides he wants out that much and doesnt persue something from us to make up the difference.

I doubt at his age he will want to sit out another 24 months of football regardless of potential wages dropped/lost.
He could basically be a free agent so get a signing on fee.

I think we have washed our hands of him full stop so his situation will be resolved on way or another, but I'd say if what I've heard is true, he wont play for Burnley again.

Whilst contracted here he does as our club says, WE'VE given him permission to train with Boro, if he starts acting up and playing hard ball, we can easily put a stop to any of that and I'm sure he'd get bored and unfit before the club does..
Last edited by MACCA on Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:24 am

One of the main reasons Tarka moved to Burnley was because of his desire to move back to the North West, so it would be strange to move South again in the case of Palace. Leicester is more likely but again it's a long way from home

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:27 am

One of the reasons " Tarks " left Brentford were family issues that made him want to return to the North-West ....
Of course, these are entirely his own affair, but I suspect he may not fancy a return to London, especially to Crystal Palace ....

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:34 am

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:24 am
One of the main reasons Tarka moved to Burnley was because of his desire to move back to the North West, so it would be strange to move South again in the case of Palace. Leicester is more likely but again it's a long way from home

True, but most travel in from 45 minutes to an hour away now, I suppose moving in between Manchester and Leicester would see a similar commute to work and back towards family.

And let's be honest money will play the most significant factor, I'm yet to hear of many players that take significant wage drops to move nearer "home" more often than not there is a double your money incentive in there too when these players force through moves

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:24 pm

MACCA wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:20 am
Well I wouldn't say that would I, as IF it is true , and I've no reason not to believe it as it all makes sense then I'd be possibly get someone in trouble.

It will all come out in the wash soon enough.

Players don't get frozen out of clubs, and told not to return unless a serious incident occurred...
I'd go as far to say IF true, he wont play for Burnley again
But are you implying that Ben Gibson turned up for work as normal, ready to flog hit guts out in training as normal, and Sean Dyche suddenly said "I don't like your face, you're banned"? Or was there a back story?

More likely, IMO, is that Gibson in some way or other made his position untenable. Has your source anything to say about that?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:33 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:24 pm
But are you implying that Ben Gibson turned up for work as normal, ready to flog hit guts out in training as normal, and Sean Dyche suddenly said "I don't like your face, you're banned"? Or was there a back story?

More likely, IMO, is that Gibson in some way or other made his position untenable. Has your source anything to say about that?
Certainly is a back story

And yes there's a story as to why his position is untenable, and I'm sure it will come out once Gibson moves on, if not before.
One thing I can tell you, is it won't be from me.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:50 pm

MACCA wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:33 pm

And yes there's a story as to why his position is untenable, and I'm sure it will come out once Gibson moves on, if not before.
:lol: you’re not usually this shy at speaking for other people.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:19 pm

MACCA wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:33 pm

Without details, does this back story have a culprit as to whose fault it was?

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Can anyone else see this happening:

Tarks to Leicester
Ayala on a free transfer to Burnley
Gibson to Boro for a small fee.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:23 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Tarks to Leicester
Gibson for a small fee ?????? We should be getting at least 80% back of what we paid for him

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:25 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Tarks to Leicester
I am fairly certain that Ayala has had interest from Leeds and he is refusing to play in any games for Boro because his contract runs out on 30 June and he will not sign a short term contract.
It is very likely that Gibson will return to Boro when the window opens.
Who knows what will happen with Tarks, football transfers are hardly predictable, more so in these strange times.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:27 pm

MACCA wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:34 am
True, but most travel in from 45 minutes to an hour away now, I suppose moving in between Manchester and Leicester would see a similar commute to work and back towards family.

And let's be honest money will play the most significant factor, I'm yet to hear of many players that take significant wage drops to move nearer "home" more often than not there is a double your money incentive in there too when these players force through moves
Remind me not to get a lift from you. You drive too fast if you think you can get to Leicester in under an hour.

More like 2 hours from South Manchester, more if Tarks lives North Manchester

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:48 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:23 pm
Gibson for a small fee ?????? We should be getting at least 80% back of what we paid for him
Teams will know we're desperate to get shut though. Our only other option is cutting off our nose to spite our face, and continuing to throw 40 grand a week down the toilet on his wages.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:55 pm

Am I imagining that we put some clause in Tarks last contract about a North West club has to pay a certain amount if they wanted him?

Edit: knew I’d seen something
And suitors may now have a tougher time prising the former Brentford man away from Turf Moor due to the reported quirky clause in his Burnley contract.

The Athletic claim that Tarkowski's release clause, which they put at £40m, only applies to sides in the North West, ruling out any move to Leicester should Brendan Rogers side reignite their interest in the 27-year-old unless the two clubs can reach an agreement.
Last edited by wilks_bfc on Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:59 pm

why would anyone leave Burnley ?
This user liked this post: dsr

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:02 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:48 pm
Teams will know we're desperate to get shut though. Our only other option is cutting off our nose to spite our face, and continuing to throw 40 grand a week down the toilet on his wages.

We do need rid of Gibson that's true, whatever's gone on his career at Burnley is now a non-starter, so we need to hope there's more interest than just Boro, it there is we've more chance of getting a sizeable chunk of the £15m fee back, and it's highly likely that we've not paid Boro in full yet, he's on a 4 year contract, and he's only been here for just shy of 2 years, so it's possible we might be able to come to an agreement with Boro which saves us some outgoings. if they really want Gibson.

I'm not privy to Gibson's wages, but i'd be surprised if he's earning 40k a week. If he is that's a bloody big toilet we're using.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:09 pm

Down_Rover wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:27 pm
Remind me not to get a lift from you. You drive too fast if you think you can get to Leicester in under an hour.

More like 2 hours from South Manchester, more if Tarks lives North Manchester
So if he moves in between Manchester and Leicester it's about an hour either way... as in 1 hour from Leicester and 1 hour to Manchester should he move in between.

Really strange way of saying I was correct...

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:11 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:19 pm
Without details, does this back story have a culprit as to whose fault it was?
CT is the man in the know regards BFC, I'm sure he will know or at least heard of something, ask him.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:12 pm

Once the bust-up with Gibson took place, we should have gone all out to get him out on loan, and have him in the shop-window, There's plenty of money in the Championship should anyone fancy him and want to take a punt, or he may have appealed to one of the strugglers in the PL. The more he goes without playing the harder its going to be to move out. We are not good in the management of our fringe players

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:21 pm

Saying we are not good in management of our fringe players is not true. We hear virtually nothing from ones other than Gibson who appears to be a bad apple.

Smacks of someone who has been mollycoddled by his family in charge at Boro and when he moved away he thought he was better than he is...he is certainly not as good as Mee or Tarky so why should he think he deserves more involvement? If the management are behind the decision to send him back it is probably because he could have disrupted the dressing room and is a good decision

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:59 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:21 pm
Saying we are not good in management of our fringe players is not true. We hear virtually nothing from ones other than Gibson who appears to be a bad apple.

Smacks of someone who has been mollycoddled by his family in charge at Boro and when he moved away he thought he was better than he is...he is certainly not as good as Mee or Tarky so why should he think he deserves more involvement? If the management are behind the decision to send him back it is probably because he could have disrupted the dressing room and is a good decision
Westwood said (admittedly after the event, ie. after getting into the first team) that in his first year at the club, when he hardly had a game, it was still as good a club as he had ever been at.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:28 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:12 pm
Once the bust-up with Gibson took place, we should have gone all out to get him out on loan, and have him in the shop-window, There's plenty of money in the Championship should anyone fancy him and want to take a punt, or he may have appealed to one of the strugglers in the PL. The more he goes without playing the harder its going to be to move out. We are not good in the management of our fringe players
Of course there's the possibility that he didn't want to go out on loan...exceopt (possibly) to his beloved Middleboro.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1995 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Massive loss if Tarks was to go. Every bit as good as Maguire who Leicester sold for a gazillion pounds. Surely we can’t be that skint ?

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:55 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:02 pm
We do need rid of Gibson that's true, whatever's gone on his career at Burnley is now a non-starter, so we need to hope there's more interest than just Boro, it there is we've more chance of getting a sizeable chunk of the £15m fee back, and it's highly likely that we've not paid Boro in full yet, he's on a 4 year contract, and he's only been here for just shy of 2 years, so it's possible we might be able to come to an agreement with Boro which saves us some outgoings. if they really want Gibson.

I'm not privy to Gibson's wages, but i'd be surprised if he's earning 40k a week. If he is that's a bloody big toilet we're using.
Don't forget when he signed he was a big money buy, and very highly rated. I'd be amazed if he wasn't on 40 grand a week.

Flying Without Ings
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Flying Without Ings » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:12 pm

I've been told by someone who works down at Barnfield that Gibson became a major problem in January when he tried to push for a move. He began purposely disrupting training and generally being a nuisance in an effort to force Burnley's hand. Dyche unsurprisingly told him to not come back when he didn't get his move.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:45 pm

Dont think we will be in a position where we have to sell at all. If the player wants to move for cash or a bigger club that’s different. Tarkowski, Ward and Westwood all had to wait patiently for their chance. They all took it and turned out to be great players for us. It sounds like Gibson thought he was bigger than he was and perhaps a bit childish like Bamford. Dyche comes across as firm but fair. As he’s honest most players really buy into this but it won’t be for everyone.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11026 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:16 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Tarks to Leicester
you follow Nixon on twitter !

bobinho
Been Liked: 4092 times
Has Liked: 6568 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:25 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:52 am

Bridges burnt BEFORE he went back up to Boro for my money...

bobinho
Been Liked: 4092 times
Has Liked: 6568 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:29 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Tarks to Leicester
Gibson to Boro for an undisclosed fee.
That's more like it...

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2757 times
Has Liked: 4318 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:14 pm

Ayala hasnt played since January, claiming he's injured whilst Boro"s medical people say he isnt. He wont feature in any of their remaining games and has been told to stay away from the training ground. Isnt Dael Fry the one we're interested in ?