Thank you

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32235 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Thank you

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:47 am

I've posted this today rather than any other day for two reasons but I'd like to offer my thanks to so many people who have made my life tolerable and better than it might have been recently.

Firstly, on 17th March of this year I had a medical appointment in town. Before returning home I visited the barber and then did a bit of shopping in Tesco - just normal shopping, no panic buying and I didn't come home with loo roll or hand wash.

That is three months ago today and I've not been in a shop of any kind since that date nor has my hair been cut and that's left me with some actually growing on the top of my head, which I didn't think possible, and a beard that would have done Uncle Albert proud on Only Fools And Horses.

Because of my age at 68 and my underlying conditions, I decided that evening to shield myself, some six days before the country was placed into lockdown. I've not been out of the house since other than to go on almost daily walks and those are now taken early in the morning (very early for me) which is why some of you might have seen me posting on the message board recently at an hour that is rare for me other than when going on long away trips.

My real fear was not being able to get enough food into the house but that's not been the case so I'd like to thank my family for dropping off meat and look forward to one day being able to see them properly again and even to meet my great niece for the first time.

One of my away trip friends Mark has done some shopping for me and the neighbours, some of whom I don't even know, have been brilliant including one from this message board who initially brought me some tonic water after my cramp attack and has since dropped off food items on a number of occasions. Thanks giveusaB.

My one break each week is a football quiz that I have with two more of my away travellers - better known on this board as jdrobbo and MDWat. We spend a couple of hours each week on Face Time with our quiz but it's the company more than anything which I appreciate.

Then there are all the people I've met and chatted to on my walks. Going early now, I don't see too many people but I've come across some lovely people over the past few weeks and they've given me a great boost when I've needed one.

This message board has, for most of the time, been fantastic. Before anything else I'd like to thank Dave Thomas for his weekly articles which have helped keep the site going alongside my history stuff over this period. There's another article from Dave to come tomorrow as he looks at a true Burnley great from 60 years ago.

Others have started some really good posts, we've had the quizzes and spot the ball and other fantastic threads to read. Unfortunately, as is always, there has been a downside. I finally read some threads a few days ago that were simply appalling. They were mostly removed as were some of the posters.

I mentioned that there were two reasons for choosing this day so onto the second. Back on 17th January I lost a really good friend Alan Beecroft after his long battle with Motor Neurone Disease. At times a pain in the backside, Alan was one of the most generous and helpful people I've ever come across in my life and I was privileged to be able to call him a friend.

He's left behind a family who are every bit as generous and thoughtful and probably the most overwhelming of things that's happened to me in the last three months was seeing his wife Georgina at my front door with a bag full of fruit for me along with a packet of sugar free biscuits and sugar free sweets (like Alan was, I'm also diabetic).

That takes me on to the second reason for choosing today, it is Alan's birthday. He'd have been 67 today and I'm hoping that Georgina and the rest of the family are able to get together as much as social distancing will allow to remember him. Being diabetic, he could often be seen with a glass of Pepsi Max. I got a bottle yesterday in my Tesco delivery and will be raising a glass to this remarkable Burnley fan tonight.

I'm sure there are so many others to thank. If I've missed them then I apologise but thank them too for all the help they've given me.

And finally, football is back tonight with the Clarets playing in five days time. I'm excited about seeing us in action but likewise gutted that I won't be at the Etihad. I love watching Burnley, I love going to the Turf and probably even more so I love going on the away trips. Just now, that's something I can't do and it is going to have to be the television.

Thank you - I don't know where I'd be now but for all your help.
These 81 users liked this post: chekhov BOYSIE31 claretburns Funkydrummer quoonbeatz martin_p jedi_master CleggHall spadesclaret lesxdp Swizzlestick BertiesBeehole Jel LoveCurryPies Rileybobs ksrclaret summitclaret green_parrot ecc evensteadiereddie giveusaB ashtonlongsider africlaret longsidepies Silkyskills1 Anonymous TVC15 The Enclosure GodIsADeeJay81 Claret Till I Die bfcjg Burt Blackrod Mayoclaret Redbeard Wile E Coyote Rowls mdd2 Caballo BurnleyPaul everychuffinwhere simonclaret Brucefanclaret JohnDearyMe jtv ngsobob SalouClaret Somethingfishy Sarum the_magic_rat Ashingtonclaret46 claret wizard kritichris Bosscat mkmel lakedistrictclaret CombatClaret Buxtonclaret Im_not_Robbie_Blake JohnMac The Hung Juror icu81b4 DCWat jackmiggins MrTopTier HunterST_BFC BFCmaj SlidingTackle Guich Clarets4me warksclaret grapidianclaret Cirrus_Minor claretfern Ptangyangkipperbang Spike JarrowClaret Frenchclaret Paul Waine ten bellies BedfordsDad

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4159 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Re: Thank you

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:53 am

The main thing I have taken from this current situation is the help people have given others, it has been heartwarming to see the good in people when really needed.

In regards to your friend Alan, most good friends are a pain in the arse at times. If you find yourself still friends when they are a pain in the arse then you know it is a friend worth having.
These 2 users liked this post: quoonbeatz ClaretTony

chekhov
Been Liked: 804 times
Has Liked: 1513 times

Post by chekhov » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:59 am

Good post Tony. It’s certainly uplifting And life-affirming to be able to appreciate all the good things and people we have in our lives.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:01 am

Nice post CT. Myself, and I think along with many others in the Uptheclarets community, would like to pass my thanks to you also for keeping this site going through troubling times and all the work you and other fellow posters do in keeping the messageboard a good place to come for discussions, debates, stories and on most occasions good joking, living away from friends and family the past few months have been tough but this messageboard has been a particular highlight in salvation during tough times. Thank you.
These 4 users liked this post: BertiesBeehole longsidepies Brucefanclaret ClaretTony

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:08 am

Fantastic to read all that Tony and glad you're keeping well.

I have not had a good time in this situation which I won't go into, but although I have not been posting on here much it has always been nice to read the message board during the midst of a really stressful time.

I hope all Clarets and their families are healthy and well, and yes, thankfully football is back. It might be weird to watch but it's still the game we love. I yearn for the day we will all be able to go back to Turf Moor.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:13 am

Well done Tony, you've had a tough time but have come out on top thanks to help from your many friends. Thanks for keeping the board going, it is a little gem and important to so many of us particularly in the "barren" season. We await your match reports and reflections with interest, I particularly liked your comment on Dominic Cummings in the Observer! How you squeezed him into a piece on the Clarets was a stroke of evil genius.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:15 am

Life would have been very dull these past three months without Up the Clarets.....it will be good to talk football again,the wife calls it my happy place..i say it is sometimes :).....keep up the good work Tony....UTC.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:18 am

Brilliant to read. Thanks for sharing.

I’ve really struggled throughout this horrible episode, but today marks the start of some normality returning with the resumption of the football. I will be tuning in tonight and to most other games until we complete the season.

Every day I hope for better news and an end to this. Hopefully, in the not too distant future, the news will come that we are able to visit the Turf again in our thousands.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32235 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:21 am

CleggHall has mentioned the reference to Dominic Cummings in the Observer.

I was asked to answer a few questions by them recently, one of which was:

What has lockdown taught you about your club? (It could be something positive and/or negative - for instance the club's positive community work/NHS food deliveries/charity work - or the squad's negative behaviour / lockdown-breaking, or misuse of taxpayers' money etc)

My answer was:

There have been no negatives in terms of the squad. We don't have a Jack Grealish or a Kyle Walker at Burnley, we don't even have a Dominic Cummings. The positive news coming out is how the most vulnerable people have been able to receive help in terms of food deliveries and more so for the work done in terms of the foodbank.
These 6 users liked this post: ecc The Enclosure Brucefanclaret simonclaret Paul Waine BedfordsDad

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:22 am

I would say we all have stories to tell that's for sure .

We all will look back at these times and knowing that some didn't make it , and it's not over yet .

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1745 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:45 am

I think walking has helped a lot of people during the pandemic and you were right to get out and about.

My friends in London who live in apartment blocks have to catch The Tube (which was closed) to the nearest park (if it was open) to get meaningful exercise.

For us, in our Lancashire homes - it’s on our doorstep and chatting to strangers over the hills, embracing our heritage and taking in the good weather must be a positive factor for our mental health. If it wasn’t for the good weather, it could’ve been very different.

I genuinely believe, while reading posts on Facebook groups that some people have not ventured outside of the footprint of their home when it was more than appropriate to do so because they believed the Stay at Home message meant imprisoning themselves.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 468 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:50 am

Pleased to hear that you are keeping well Tony and it is good to hear that friends, family and the local community have been able to support you. For the past 10 weeks, my operation at work, which usually supplies schools, colleges and local authority businesses has been turned into a Hertfordshire County Council food production line. We have been distributing food parcels to thousands of vulnerable people like yourself who are isolating and unable to access food supplies, in addition to supporting the food banks around the county. It has been a massive amount of work and meant long days, weekend and Bank Holiday working to enable the service to be delivered. Most of my team have undertaken this with very little resistance or complaint, happy that what we were doing was vital to support those who needed it most.

And I will wish a Happy Birthday to Beaky and repeat everything that Tony says about him. A really great bloke who I have known from childhood and is sadly missed. And share with you a photo of him wearing a t shirt that he wore on a Gas Board Social club trip to Wembley in 1982 to see England v Holland. What's a muff diver, asked a 13 year old Herts. Ask your Dad was the reply from Beaky.
Attachments
Beaky.jpg
Beaky.jpg (44.28 KiB) Viewed 2354 times

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:15 pm

Excellent post CT and one that I can truly relate to. I went into self isolation when I returned from Mallorca on the 18th March. This was due to having a couple of 'underlying health conditions' with the factored in age that put me at moderate risk. We go to the Balearics three each year and have had many memorable holidays over the last 20 odd years. The last one in March alas will remain memorable for different reasons. It was whilst out there that the full extent of this dreaded disease came to the fore. Given what we witnessed on Spanish TV i'm surprised we were allowed to travel and at one stage when Spain went into lockdown I feared we'd be stuck there for the duration.
I have stuck with the self isolation but set myself a challenge to run/walk 6 miles each day. This I have done for the last 91 days at 4.30-5am every morning. Its been hard and my body is telling me I need a rest. The only other time I have left the house was on my birthday in May. My wife asked what I wanted as a present and I told her I wanted to see the Turf. This we duly did. To say it was emotional is something of an understatement. I said to my wife that when we can return, I'll never criticise or curse the weather that sweeps through the BL stand again. It's like the old saying, you don't know what you miss until its gone. Stay safe and alert CT and everyone.
These 2 users liked this post: TVC15 ClaretTony

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:36 pm

Hope you stay safe and well,CT. I'm the same age as you and continue to foster friendships especially during this difficult time with friends I made at Grammar school in Salford in the 1960's.
We meet up three or four times a year in Manchester for a.meal and a few drinks but we've been in touch almost daily over the last three months. Good.friends are priceless. I probably reminisce too much on here.but I blame you for that for.introducing too many fantastic memories.from times past. ;)

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Tony
Well said. Continue to stay safe.

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:56 pm

Wonderful post Tony and many thanks for your generous acknowledgement. Please Dear Lord may the footie soon keep us occupied as I am running out of articles that have been in an old file that goes back years. What I enjoyed was seeing how the ten this and ten that articles provoked so many responses and memories.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:08 pm

At its best this site is like being in a pub with your mates, lets keep it like that.
These 6 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Anonymous huw.Y.WattfromWare longsidepies Paul Waine ClaretTony

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:00 pm

Things will get better soon enough Tony, its good to know how supportive people can be. football can seem trivial at times in the greater scheme of things. Anyway, good luck to you. Hope your spirits soar as we take 3 points next week.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:07 pm

It has been a pleasure to have this board available during the lockdown. Thank you to ClaretTony and everybody else who keeps it going and contributes.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:22 pm

Fine piece CT. we are all coming out the other side, for now, let’s enjoy it whilst we can.
Thanks for keeping us up to date.
I’m with bfcjg and treat the board like being in the pub. Threads wander of topic just as conversations do but there’s always the chance you’ll learn something.
UTC

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:26 pm

I think it was Jo Cox who said there is more that unites us than divides us and this virus and lockdown has certainly shown more good than bad about us.
I have been really impressed about how 99% of folk around here have adhered to social distancing and how those outlets that have stayed open or recently opened have deployed SD measures and how Jo public has obeyed the rules.
Yes there have been idiots who have flouted the rules risking the lives of those who have stayed doing the essential work for the public as well as their own and the media have fed the fire of dissent often oblivious to the true facts, but in the main GB PLC has done well and Tony's good experience is just one of millions.
Not a bad place to live is it?

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:27 pm

Really pleased that you have been looked after Tony. It is great to know that you have had people around you that have given you help and that this has helped you to stay safe.
Keep going my friend and we will hopefully be able to catch up again sometime next year-----I really miss the Youth games and young players developing.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:42 pm

👍😎👍 CT keep up the good work

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:52 pm

Super post Tony.

It's two years to the day that mrslakedistrict died. I was determined not to sit around moping, so I 've just got back from a round of golf at St. Bees, the first time I've played a full 18 holes since my operations in 2009.

The important thing in times like these is to keep occupied. Daily walks are important, and the return of football in an hour's time will help.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

kritichris
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by kritichris » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:58 pm

A heart warming post Tony, stay safe, stay strong and thanks for everything.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:16 pm

Nice post Tony. Enjoyed doing the quizzes each week. Glad you’ve stayed safe and well.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Yep CT you do a great job with this.......i for one appreciate the commitment it must take, and keeps us connected as Clarets wherever we may be.

AB is certainly a recent reminder that life’s too short, and that we must treasure every minute.....

And so it’s back to the footy....Villa now on the telly, beer ready...............can’t wait ,till Monday and all the no doubt interesting posts when we win away ie why would Tarky want to leave!!!!

UTC!

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:45 pm

Thank you Tony - really appreciate all of your hard work, especially through these recent events.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:03 pm

Stay well and fit CT. This pandemic has taught us the art of PATIENCE and APPRECIATION (for the simple things we take for granted)

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by leelad » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:08 am

Thank you CT, appreciate all your hard work and effort.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:28 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:21 am
CleggHall has mentioned the reference to Dominic Cummings in the Observer.

I was asked to answer a few questions by them recently, one of which was:

What has lockdown taught you about your club? (It could be something positive and/or negative - for instance the club's positive community work/NHS food deliveries/charity work - or the squad's negative behaviour / lockdown-breaking, or misuse of taxpayers' money etc)

My answer was:

There have been no negatives in terms of the squad. We don't have a Jack Grealish or a Kyle Walker at Burnley, we don't even have a Dominic Cummings. The positive news coming out is how the most vulnerable people have been able to receive help in terms of food deliveries and more so for the work done in terms of the foodbank.
Great thread/great posts, Claret Tony. Like how you manage this mb and aim to keep us all on the right side of social. Just a small point, you say "we don't even have a Dominic Cummings" but, isn't Ben Gibson a little like him? Both have gone back to their families in the North East....

Great to wake up this morning and there's reports on football in the sports pages. :)

UTC