Burnley plan to take the knee

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Re: Burnley plan to take the knee

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:20 pm

Sheedyclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:14 pm
Gary Neville made a great point last nite and was quickly shut down about the racism the Asian community received at the start of covid no massive movement then just accepted and swept away..
Thats not American enough for some.
Many of the UK do like to follow like sheep what America or Amerrcans do, say or act.

Thankfully the majority still want to distance themselves from the American dream.

Claret Toni
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Claret Toni » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:20 pm

Interesting how taking the knee is now perceived, i.e. representing the actions of the former police officer when he killed George Floyd.

I'd previously though it reflected the actions of Colin Kaepernick, the former San Francisco quarterback, who took the knee during the rendition of the National Anthem as a protest against racial injustice, police brutality and systematic oppression in the USA, way back in 2016. Of course Kaepernick had some support from other players within the NFL but the League itself did not back him up. Donald Trump was vociferous in his opposition stating that the action disrespected the flag and all players who took the knee should be fired. Although he was a decent quarterback Kaepernick was released when his contract expired. He was unable to obtain a roster position with another team in the NFL - surprising given his playing record and ability. Kaepernick subsequently filed a grievance with the NFL which was settled with a confidentiality agreement.

So that's what happened when a man took a stand in the land of the free; perhaps if those in power had reacted to the underlying cause somewhat differently back in 2016 then George Floyd and others would be alive today.

Delighted my team are supporting the change that is long overdue.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:21 pm

Macca - of course this can be debated but the way you raise your points and the questions you are asking certainly seems like you don’t support it.
If you have seen any of the recent coverage things seem to
have significantly shifted in terms of how we move forward to get rid of racism.
It’s no longer acceptable to do nothing and think that you are not racist just because you are not throwing bananas at black players (I’m quoting John Barnes’ recent interviews there)
Players taking the knee is one of the actions that black players want their fellow professionals to support them on and they feel this is an important show of unity. Of course a player has got the right to refuse to do this but no doubt this would be looked upon as a racist act.

In the same way a person like yourself who seems to be saying they are against players doing this could also be regarded as being racist - or that this particular view was racist.

I know you might not agree with this and I am not saying you are racist - I don’t know you....but I’m just trying to explain some of the current feeling around this subject.

As for this being some kind of bandwagon - of course it that’s the whole point !! The difference is that some people (as I do) see this as a positive thing whereas as others see it as a negative one because they believe people are just going along with this for no specific reason - again I don’t get that argument at all...the reasons for doing it are very clear and obvious to me. So those who criticise this or question it’s purpose then my immediate thoughts are why are they doing this ? And for many people the answer to that will he is because they are racist.

I think the James McLean issue is a whole different debate and personally I don’t agree when it’s brought into these type of debates.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6894 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:22 pm

FWIW, I don't necessarily agree with the 'Black Lives Matter' on the shirts. In the same way that I don't think we should display the poppy on shirts despite both being a very worthy cause. I'm not particularly bothered either way but it is the proverbial can of worms.

Making a decision as a team to take part in a gesture is entirely different though and this is I presume being pushed by the players rather than the Premier League.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:24 pm

BLM is a political organisation for me.

Just read their 'about' segment on the website.

Then look at their 'donate' page, note that its a url change to an 'actblue charities' donation page - which is a Democrat fundraiser charity.

Not to mention the scenes that have come out of these so called 'peaceful protests'.

Do black lives matter? Of course

Do I support the group 'Black Lives Matter' - absolutely not.

The activity of the group is also suspicious to me; if they were adamant about change, why did we hear nothing in 2017-2019?
Attachments
FB_IMG_1592233087614.jpg
FB_IMG_1592233087614.jpg (17.35 KiB) Viewed 3252 times
These 2 users liked this post: Accrington claret FCBurnley

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:26 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:24 pm

Then look at their 'donate' page, note that its a url change to an 'actblue charities' donation page - which is a Democrat fundraiser charity.

Not to mention the scenes that have come out of these so called 'peaceful protests'.

The activity of the group is also suspicious to me; if they were adamant about change, why did we hear nothing in 2017-2019?
Maybe they feel that the best way to implement change is at the top, ie. the government who run the country and pass the laws.

BurningBeard
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 158 times

Post by BurningBeard » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:26 pm

Foreign Secretary making himself look a berk. Again.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ubjugation

Taking a knee in this context comes from Game of Thrones apparently!
This user liked this post: longsidepies

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:28 pm

Claret Toni wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:20 pm
I'd previously though it reflected the actions of Colin Kaepernick, the former San Francisco quarterback.
Intetesting to note that Kap only started kneeling after he was benched. Didn't seem to be bothered when he was starting in a niche system and getting Ws.

Kap is an idiot as well - just when he started receiving media coverage for it what does he do? Turn up to a press conference with a Castro/Gueverrra T shirt - you think the average American is gonna get on board with that?

Oh and then started wearing socks depicting cops as pigs on during warmups. More divisive foolishness.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:29 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:18 pm
'The

If someone feels strongly enough that they don't want to show their support to this cause then they should have the courage of their convictions and not do it - like James McClean.

Do you think the media, this country and the world would be ok with that?
Do you think this person would be then able to lead a normal happy life with no ridicule, backlash or labelling?

I dont, I think it would be the total opposite and id put my mortgage in them receiving death threats or significant threats to themselves or family.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:31 pm

Glad to hear we're doing this. Very important that the club promotes the message that we're anti-racist and pro-equality.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:32 pm

I was surprised to see the teams and the ref and his assistants "taking the knee" when the ref had already whistled that the game had started. That was a bit surprising and bold. Fair play to them all, especially if this little "escalation" is the start of achieving more than "kick it out" etc has achieved.

I'm white - and don't mind if some would say "pale and stale." I can't change the colour of my skin. However, I can choose to show my friends who aren't white that I don't choose my friends by the colour of my skin or their skin. The place I was working in 2009 introduced a "black development" group. I attended their meetings along with my black colleagues to show my support. First time I went I was the only "white face." The place I was working before I retired in March, celebrated Black History Month every year. These were great events, with some well known guest speakers. It was great to attend. I was not the only "white face" in the last few years. It's how we relate with each other that matters. I'd be pleased to "take the knee" with any of my black friends if they thought my white face would help, a little, in ending the gaps between white and black (and all the other races).

I don't think it's "politics." I think it's how we relate with our neighbours and the people we interact with every day (and, including when lockdown has ended).
These 5 users liked this post: quoonbeatz Devils_Advocate TVC15 nil_desperandum Duffer_

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:35 pm

MACCA wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:04 am
So the BLM is a fight against racism?

So anyone who doesn't want to take the knee is a racist?

:o
Wow
I do think there’s an element of attention seeking going on with the comments you’ve made on this thread but I’ll bite...

What possible reason could you have for not wanting to take the knee? Given what that action has come to symbolise, to make a conscious choice not to take the knee when others around you are doing so... Well I’m afraid there’s only one conclusion that can be drawn from that.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:35 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:21 pm
I think the James McLean issue is a whole different debate and personally I don’t agree when it’s brought into these type of debates.
Be an interesting Venn diagram though between those getting all angry about this and those who get right angry every single November.
These 5 users liked this post: quoonbeatz Rileybobs martin_p MrTopTier TVC15

fanzone
Been Liked: 226 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:41 pm

Not read all the comments but it's absolutely ridiculous. When were political statements aloud in football.

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:44 pm

padihamclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:12 am
It's a big marketing exercise by the premier league and skysports. I bet the bundesliga are gutted they didn't get to do it first, would have improved their global branding.
BTW I support the Black Lives Matter movement, I'm highly, highly cynical when large multinational (greedy) organisations get involved
How the heck do you think Sky Sports are linked?? By the same vein it is also a marketing exercise by Amazon, BT and the BBC as they are all showing games also???

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:44 pm

MACCA wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:29 pm
Do you think the media, this country and the world would be ok with that?
Do you think this person would be then able to lead a normal happy life with no ridicule, backlash or labelling?

I dont, I think it would be the total opposite and id put my mortgage in them receiving death threats or significant threats to themselves or family.
You're probably right, because there are a lot of people who like to get all frothy at the mouth about things like this. That doesn't stop plenty of players for standing up for their views despite how unpopular. Deeney and McClean for example.

Like Deeney and McClean, anyone who didn't want to take part would no doubt be asked why they didn't want to be united with their teammates in the fight against racism and equality. I would like to hear anybody's reason for not wanting to do this. And as with the posters on this board I'd respect that view unless it was for racist reasons. The issue is I haven't heard many, if any genuine reasons why taking the knee is not the right thing to do.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:45 pm

fanzone wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:41 pm
Not read all the comments but it's absolutely ridiculous. When were political statements aloud in football.
Players are allowed to act as they wish on the pitch. If it's a breach of the rules then they will be disciplined by the laws of the game.

Since when is putting a knee on the ground against the laws of the game?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:50 pm

PremierLeagueClass wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:35 pm
I do think there’s an element of attention seeking going on with the comments you’ve made on this thread but I’ll bite...

What possible reason could you have for not wanting to take the knee? Given what that action has come to symbolise, to make a conscious choice not to take the knee when others around you are doing so... Well I’m afraid there’s only one conclusion that can be drawn from that.
That's a very interesting conclusion you come to.

I saw Pep sit down last night whilst all his players took to the knee.
Now you point it out there's only one conclusion that can be drawn from that.

Let's keep fighting the fight, but I do hope some open their eyes as to what is going on, and how certain organisations or media outlets are managing to keep them 1 track minded, and fearful of asking questions.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:51 pm

When people return to work would they consider it unusual if management decreed that on a Monday morning Everyone was to gather in a circle and take the knee to support BLM?

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:32 pm
I was surprised to see the teams and the ref and his assistants "taking the knee" when the ref had already whistled that the game had started. That was a bit surprising and bold. Fair play to them all, especially if this little "escalation" is the start of achieving more than "kick it out" etc has achieved.

I'm white - and don't mind if some would say "pale and stale." I can't change the colour of my skin. However, I can choose to show my friends who aren't white that I don't choose my friends by the colour of my skin or their skin. The place I was working in 2009 introduced a "black development" group. I attended their meetings along with my black colleagues to show my support. First time I went I was the only "white face." The place I was working before I retired in March, celebrated Black History Month every year. These were great events, with some well known guest speakers. It was great to attend. I was not the only "white face" in the last few years. It's how we relate with each other that matters. I'd be pleased to "take the knee" with any of my black friends if they thought my white face would help, a little, in ending the gaps between white and black (and all the other races).

I don't think it's "politics." I think it's how we relate with our neighbours and the people we interact with every day (and, including when lockdown has ended).
This is spot on. My work also celebrates black history month each year, we have various networks for BAME, LGBTQ+, parents and carers, various religions etc and anyone is welcome to attend any of the events, no matter who they are. It creates a much more inclusive workplace, although it can always be improved. I genuinely feel lucky in that respect as we know many employers don't have such things.

It's all about education and understanding, and taking the knee for a few seconds - essentially a small gesture for an individual - really can have a big impact as a show of support. And that's all this really is, a show of support for anti-racism.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:55 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:44 pm
I would like to hear anybody's reason for not wanting to do this.
I want to keep my personal and political views to myself, I have never commented on other people’s views or beliefs and don’t feel that the work environment is a place to express them.

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Sick of reading and hearing that black lives matter represent the bame communitys absolute nonsense to..

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:58 pm

Would be an interesting Venn diagram..... those who think James McLean is a disgrace for not wearing a poppy shirt and those who think it’s a disgrace that players don’t have a choice whether to take a knee or not......

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:01 pm

ClaretDiver wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:54 am
I have had 2 customers call me today to cancel Sky Sports for this very reason...they were against it and therefor their 'stand' is to cancel their sports package....funny thing is they will still get the package for 31 days so I can bet your bottom dollar they will still watch it lol!
The last 4 years has really been a halcyon period for thick racists to self-out themselves.
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie fatboy47 nil_desperandum

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:02 pm

PremierLeagueClass wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:35 pm
Rubbish! It should be personal choice and I'm not sure that every footballer has that option without being tarred by some people as being a racist!
Last edited by Leisure on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:03 pm

grapidianclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:01 pm
The staging of the world cup in Qatar is pathetic. I would happily see England boycott the tournament. For lots of reasons.
We can see what peoples philosophies are today. Standing on the sidelines and complaining about proactive measures,some good ,some not so good, isn't doing a whole hell of a lot to change anything is it?
But things have been changing, bit by bit, year by year. Britain 2020 is a long, long way from Britain 1973, or Britain 1958. All I can see coming from the protests is people taking the opportunity to ignore how far we've come.
There is a lot of generational difference in racism, and as the older generation die off, so slowly will racism. Impatience doesn’t help, it only serves to enforce the stereotypes we are trying to rid ourselves of. It increases suspicion, it makes people start looking for racism, even when it isnt there. That's a barrier we can do without.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:04 pm

MACCA wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:04 am
So the BLM is a fight against racism?

So anyone who doesn't want to take the knee is a racist?

:o
Wow
And that is EXACTLY how they get people on this bandwagon.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:04 pm

Leisure wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:02 pm
Rubbish! It should be personal choice and I'm not sure that every footballer has that option without being being tarred by some people as being a racist!
It shouldn’t be a personal choice. On such an important issue the club should be taking a stance and telling its players what to do.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:05 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:24 pm

It would help if you would look at the UK Black Lives Matters organisation rather than the US one which are completely separately organisations. Ive already educated you on this once before when you were going on about the donation page so why are you repeating this nonsense again?

Accrington claret
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 153 times

Post by Accrington claret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:09 pm

Like many others i'm totally against players having BLM on the shirts and kneeling for a career criminal who died four thousand miles away,

If I was to wear a shirt with 'white lives matter' I would be called a racist.. To me and many others BLM are a racist group with Antifa being supporters of them..
I have spoken to many Burnley fans who would boycott games if players continue to kneel and wear the BLM on shirts when we're allowed back in the stands

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:12 pm

Accrington claret wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:09 pm
Like many others i'm totally against players having BLM on the shirts and kneeling for a career criminal who died four thousand miles away,
It might help you to be less angry about it if you actually understood why players are taking the knee.
Last edited by ksrclaret on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Bordeauxclaret longsidepies

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:12 pm

you can tell from these posts that some are for and some are against, now imagine the same scenario in a dressing room.

I don't agree with it, so
should that cause conflict with any teammate who does? if you exclude "racism" as a convenient term to encompass all manner of issues in our communities, then you are left with discussing these matters or airing them in a more appropriate setting.
Non many players pass up the opportunities to play/holiday in a whole host of countries with horrendous records on human rights or have been historically proven to be directly involved with mistreatment of minorities. They're not too quick to campaign then are they. But somehow a bit of bandwagon jumping is regarded as fine suddenly. As for those who imply anyone against this gesture is racist, then you are too simple minded to see an alternative. carry on with your simon says mantra, its safer that way.
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure CoolClaret

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:13 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:04 pm
It shouldn’t be a personal choice. On such an important issue the club should be taking a stance and telling its players what to do.
So it should be forced onto everyone! Wow! Freedom of choice eh!

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:18 pm

Leisure wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:13 pm
So it should be forced onto everyone! Wow! Freedom of choice eh!
Yes. This should be BFC making a statement as an organisation, not individuals.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:18 pm

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/bristol-tombs ... 30960.html
The problem now is people are getting weary of everything not pro BLM gestures are racist and sadly more of this and worse will happen.
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/bristol-tombs ... 30960.html

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:18 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:05 pm
It would help if you would look at the UK Black Lives Matters organisation rather than the US one which are completely separately organisations. Ive already educated you on this once before when you were going on about the donation page so why are you repeating this nonsense again?
It's much the same tbh.

More revolutionary garbage.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:55 pm
I want to keep my personal and political views to myself, I have never commented on other people’s views or beliefs and don’t feel that the work environment is a place to express them.
Well that’s a complete lie as you continually air your personal and political views on here. If you had a genuine reason then I’m sure people would respect it.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:21 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:04 pm
And that is EXACTLY how they get people on this bandwagon.
Through fear?

The very reason a lot of people are afraid of asking questions.
Could very easily ruin someone's career or life if the wrong questions are asked or "not the correct answer" is given.
Look at how the police have to police these days, they get accused if every discrimination under the sun to the point it effects how the police.

Many of the outraged ( some on this thread ) will point fingers, label people, ridicule them yet dont actually have a clue who or what they're supporting other than what the media, social media and what "should be thought" on any given subject.

Theyll be people out there labelled a racist, who have immediate family members that are black, they'll have a friendship group with a variety of races and religions, who have often been the only white face at the table whether that's eating or working.

Wrongly labelling someone a racist often highlights the lack of knowledge the accusers actually have on the subject.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:25 pm

MACCA wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:21 pm
Through fear?

The very reason a lot of people are afraid of asking questions.
Could very easily ruin someone's career or life if the wrong questions are asked or "not the correct answer" is given.
Look at how the police have to police these days, they get accused if every discrimination under the sun to the point it effects how the police.

Many of the outraged ( some on this thread ) will point fingers, label people, ridicule them yet dont actually have a clue who or what they're supporting other than what the media, social media and what "should be thought" on any given subject.

Theyll be people out there labelled a racist, who have immediate family members that are black, they'll have a friendship group with a variety of races and religions, who have often been the only white face at the table whether that's eating or working.

Wrongly labelling someone a racist often highlights the lack of knowledge the accusers actually have on the subject.
Just to be clear, having family members or friends who are black no more stops you being a racist than being married stops you being misogynist.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:26 pm

MACCA wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:50 pm
I saw Pep sit down last night whilst all his players took to the knee.
Now you point it out there's only one conclusion that can be drawn from that.
Has Pep been vilified or received death threats over this?

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:27 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:53 am
The politics comes in if you have the view that the "Black Lives Matter" campaign is the wrong way to go about it. The Martin Luther King dream of being judged not by the colour of his skin, doesn't appear to be getting any nearer. Depressingly.
A stated aim of BLM is to demolish British Institutions and of course Capitalism. That is political and if a person agrees fine do it. It is a free country.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:28 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:12 pm
It might help you to be less angry about it if you actually understood why players are taking the knee.
Genuine question: why are they? I assume in solidarity with George Floyd because of how the policeman kneeled on him?

I’ve never seen the gesture used before George Floyds death but I may be wrong.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:30 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:28 pm
Genuine question: why are they? I assume in solidarity with George Floyd because of how the policeman kneeled on him?

I’ve never seen the gesture used before George Floyds death but I may be wrong.
You are wrong.
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies chadders

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:35 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:25 pm
Just to be clear, having family members or friends who are black no more stops you being a racist than being married stops you being misogynist.
Neither does holding up a BLM poster, assaulting police officers or criminal damage on or whilst protesting.

And for that matter, neither does taking the knee...
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:36 pm

Taking the knee started in 2016 to protest police brutality and racism in the USA. Usually done during the national anthem instead of standing.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:38 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:26 pm
Has Pep been vilified or received death threats over this?
Youd have to ask Pep, he was too busy coming his chair with a towel and getting comfy.

It would be quite interesting if one player who had no opinion either way decided to remain standing to see the outcome.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:41 pm

BLM are a Marxist political movement. Their aim
Is to bring down capitalism. The death of a criminal is the perfect excuse to kick off and further their aims.

The Premier league is bandwagon jumping for harder hitting exposure.

Virtue signalling of the highest order this whole charade.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:41 pm

fanzone wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:41 pm
Or even quietly

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:42 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:18 pm
It's much the same tbh.

More revolutionary garbage.
Nope look up what BLM UK are doing with their donations and come back and tell me its the same as the US

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:44 pm

grapidianclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:18 pm
Taking a knee over there is different to taking a knee in the US. Imagine playing God save the queen at every game in the premier league. Taking the knee has become a world wide show of solidarity. solidarity does change things. BLM has to be a political organization. Without political representation, change is not possible. White people, good white people fought and died for civil rights in America.They had political representation, the blacks did not.They still do not have adequate representation.Historically, all the significant political changes,made on behalf of BAME in most of the white governed world, have been made with significant action from white people, Wilberforce being a prime example.
Will be interesting to see what BLM do with the mega millions of donations they have/are receiving. Obviously none of the organizers will take a single cent will ? And some people think this is not a business !!