Injuries hit Clarets for opener

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Re: Mr Garlick versus Mighty Sean

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:46 am

Bfcboyo wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:36 am
    Hendrick has one foot at Celtic it's a done deal.

He could have both feet in the door, he could have signed for them in January, both him and Celtic could have announced it and nobody would have done any wrong. Why has he not signed this deal he has agreed ?

ewanrob
    Been Liked: 361 times
    Has Liked: 98 times

Re: Injuries hit Clarets for opener

Post by ewanrob » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:03 pm

I know it's a moot point, but the club has to seriously start looking for bigger backers. We cant continue as we are, and with wages eventually moving toward 100 million there will be nothing left for player investment.

How long can we continue with this the Owners are Burnley fans and that's how it must stay...we will never move on.

Question is, would you prefer SD to stay but have new financiers...or SD to go and stay as we are with present owners.

GodIsADeeJay81
    Been Liked: 3435 times
    Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:47 pm

IanMcL wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:46 am
    That is not what is being said.
    The point being repreated, is that the chairman has let some contracts, like Hendrick, too late and that others are about to be next years Hendrick, owing to inaction at the right time.

That will cost, not save millions.

This is the equivalent of loaning Glen Little to Reading, to save £100,000 wages. Outcome - crowd halved and team lost it's way.
    Much more than £100k lost, as a result.

Same thought pattern here.
    Hendrick was offered a new contract last year, either the summer or at Xmas.

GodIsADeeJay81
    Been Liked: 3435 times
    Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:49 pm

IanMcL wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:51 am
    Timing is everything.
    Yes it is but you want it doing one away the club do it another.

Some clubs tend to wait until they know for certain which league they'll be in next summer.

Tall Paul
    Been Liked: 2561 times
    Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:20 pm

Storm in a teacup. A lot of weight being put on CT's concern, and he doesn't really know much more than the rest of us.
    These 2 users liked this post: Swizzlestick Longtimeclaret

Hipper
    Been Liked: 1176 times
    Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:36 pm

tiger76 wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:39 am
    All managers want more resources, that's human nature, but this dig by Sean feels different, and if we don't back him we could live to regret it.....
    No. No manager is bigger then our club, not even Dyche. We've learnt that lesson years ago and should remember it otherwise things could end very badly.

We are not a club that can gamble when we've reached the promised land. There is no possibility of recouping funds. And in the managing of the funds our recent chairmen after Barry Kilby have acted wisely it seems.

KRBFC
    Been Liked: 3784 times
    Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:03 pm

IanMcL wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:27 am
    I am not sure you have the right players highlighted, where Me D ialtered the chairman. These will be players about to enter their last year. They will be next years Hendrick.
    Is Dyche not talking about the players like Lennon Hart Legzkins Bardsley Hendrick? who are out of contract in a couple of weeks? players we should be pretty happy to be losing on free transfers (Hendrick aside).

Put it this way, I’m happy Lennon Hart and Bardsley aren’t tied down on 3 year contracts given their age, ability, impact and how easily they’re replaced. Although I’d prefer we sold Lowton and resigned Bardsley for another year.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:11 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
    Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:46 pm
    The delay in contract offers was pre-Covid - clearly the chairman not supporting the manager's plans
    You seem to be on Dyches side here, can I ask why? if Hendrick won’t sign a new deal, is that the boards fault?

Lennon Bardsley Legzkins Hart, is it not in the best interest of the club for these players to be on short term deals so we aren’t stuck with them for longer than required?

I’m happy those 3 (aside from Bardsley who’s been fantastic) are running out of contract, we don’t need to find buyers to shift them and they’re no longer draining resources.

maybe I’m missing something, which is why I asked you to inform me but I don’t see what the fuss from Dyche is about here, we are safe in the league with 9 meaningless games remaining and ageing players who need to be replaced, about to leave. Is that such a bad thing?

I know someone above posted that Dyche isn’t referring to the players out of contract in a couple of weeks then if so, I’m way off the mark.
    This user liked this post: boatshed bill

huw.Y.WattfromWare
    Been Liked: 1004 times
    Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:17 pm

Apologies if already posted, I’m not going through 5 pages.
    Kevin Long is our first sub for an injury to JRod, MattyV, Ben Mee or Tarks. After that we are struggling.

MACCA
    Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:26 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:17 pm
    Apologies if already posted, I’m not going through 5 pages.
    Kevin Long is our first sub for an injury to JRod, MattyV, Ben Mee or Tarks. After that we are struggling.
    He's not really, but you're correct, the recruitment has been ok st very best.
    I doubt SD has ever got his first choice target from Mike, we always seem to have to settle for x choice down the list.... or miss out all together

Ince the miracle worker leaves we are in big trouble just like Stoke and Blackburn were when they potted similar managers.

IanMcL
    Been Liked: 6340 times
    Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:49 pm

KRBFC wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:03 pm
    Is Dyche not talking about the players like Lennon Hart Legzkins Bardsley Hendrick? who are out of contract in a couple of weeks? players we should be pretty happy to be losing on free transfers (Hendrick aside).

Put it this way, I’m happy Lennon Hart and Bardsley aren’t tied down on 3 year contracts given their age, ability, impact and how easily they’re replaced. Although I’d prefer we sold Lowton and resigned Bardsley for another year.
    He did cover those players but in a way which alluded to him asking for longer contracts for one/some/all. The more serious point was the players he had asked for contracts to be sorted, as they would become next years Hendrick, at the end of June. Nothing done. That seemed to really **** him off.

IanMcL
    Been Liked: 6340 times
    Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:56 pm

Ryan Fraser has refused contract extension, short term, at Bournemouth. He has played his last match for them.

This is the situation we are in, with our OOC players. That added to the 3 injuries and host of matches, is why Mr D is showing immense concern. There are no longer term contracts offered to players, other than Hendrick.

1 point from safety, rather than chasing Europe, becomes the new thought pattern.

Cubanclaret
    Been Liked: 286 times
    Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:09 pm

It interests me that in 3 Dyche interviews recently he talked about how much he enjoyed watching The Last Dance and how fascinating he thought the role of the Bulls coach, managing all the egos, and maintaining their relentless success. (It is a tremendous watch for any sports fan who hasn’t seen it btw).
    It’s hard for us to face up to but maybe Sean Dyche’s tenure is drawing to its natural end, approaching his ‘last dance’ so to speak. We might not be serial champions but in context it’s been a thrilling journey which has seen a complete overhaul of the club and established us in the PL.
    While we should not jump to the conclusion that he’s halfway out of the door, we should also not jump to the conclusion that inevitable failure would follow his departure. A new manager would bring a new template and a new set of contacts / player pool etc which might well yield success given the excellent facilities and improved youth academy that has developed under SD’s reign. We’re a much brighter prospect now for a forward thinking manager than we were the last time the job came up, and look how well we did then.

ClaretTony
    Been Liked: 32242 times
    Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:24 pm

KRBFC wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:11 pm
    You seem to be on Dyches side here, can I ask why? if Hendrick won’t sign a new deal, is that the boards fault?

Lennon Bardsley Legzkins Hart, is it not in the best interest of the club for these players to be on short term deals so we aren’t stuck with them for longer than required?

I’m happy those 3 (aside from Bardsley who’s been fantastic) are running out of contract, we don’t need to find buyers to shift them and they’re no longer draining resources.

maybe I’m missing something, which is why I asked you to inform me but I don’t see what the fuss from Dyche is about here, we are safe in the league with 9 meaningless games remaining and ageing players who need to be replaced, about to leave. Is that such a bad thing?

I know someone above posted that Dyche isn’t referring to the players out of contract in a couple of weeks then if so, I’m way off the mark.
    The players you think are better on short term deals have not been offered short term deals. It means they can all refuse to play in these games if they wish, and in any case they can't play beyond 30th June. We have until next Tuesday to agree short term deals with them.

kentonclaret
    Been Liked: 969 times
    Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:29 pm

With Dyche having aired his frustrations in the media, and with all games now being shown live, this matter is bound to get plenty more airtime in the next few days especially when the lack of any strength in depth is highlighted by our players sitting on the bench. Or lack of them. Something for Gary and Jamie to chew over perhaps.

randomclaret2
    Been Liked: 2742 times
    Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:34 pm

A chance for Gary and Jamie, and the rest of them, to put their in depth knowledge of our squad players to good use

jojomk1
    Been Liked: 836 times
    Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:36 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:24 pm
    The players you think are better on short term deals have not been offered short term deals. It means they can all refuse to play in these games if they wish, and in any case they can't play beyond 30th June. We have until next Tuesday to agree short term deals with them.
    I would be amazed if it were true that the likes of Bards, Lennon and Hendrick have not been offered at least short term deals until the new end of season

If so, Mr Garlick will come under real scrutiny from fans

randomclaret2
    Been Liked: 2742 times
    Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:37 pm

'...we are safe in the league with 9 meaningless games remaining and ageing players who need to be replaced, about to leave. Is that such a bad thing? ..'
    With each League place being worth approaching £2m , Im sure the board dont view the remaining games as meaningless.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:40 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:36 pm
    I would be amazed if it were true that the likes of Bards, Lennon and Hendrick have not been offered at least short term deals until the new end of season

If so, Mr Garlick will come under real scrutiny from fans
    Isn't that what Dyche said?

Tall Paul
    Been Liked: 2561 times
    Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:44 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:29 pm
    With Dyche having aired his frustrations in the media, and with all games now being shown live, this matter is bound to get plenty more airtime in the next few days especially when the lack of any strength in depth is highlighted by our players sitting on the bench. Or lack of them. Something for Gary and Jamie to chew over perhaps.
    I'm sure Gary and Jamie will just talk about Liverpool, Man City etc as they normally do.

Chester Perry
    Been Liked: 3116 times
    Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:53 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:40 pm
    Isn't that what Dyche said?
    no, from 2:30 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Qsi72VRqc

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:01 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:53 pm
    no, from 2:30 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Qsi72VRqc
    Hadn't seen that, just what I was told by someone involved and what I'd read. Looks as though they have been offered short extensions which remain unsigned, but no longer deals at all.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:04 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:24 pm
    Fair point but they aren’t really needed are they? Given we are safe already. I think those players are better on no contract at all if possible because they need replacing, so the shorter the better because the less we are obliged to spend on paying them. The 2 goalkeepers certainly aren’t needed to play.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:07 pm

KRBFC wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:04 pm
    Fair point but they aren’t really needed are they? Given we are safe already. I think those players are better on no contract at all if possible because they need replacing, so the shorter the better because the less we are obliged to spend on paying them. The 2 goalkeepers certainly aren’t needed to play.
    I don't believe some of those players do need replacing and there is no doubt, neither does Dyche.

summitclaret
    Been Liked: 827 times
    Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:10 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:01 pm
    Hadn't seen that, just what I was told by someone involved and what I'd read. Looks as though they have been offered short extensions which remain unsigned, but no longer deals at all.
    Which is the right thing to do atm.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:10 pm

summitclaret wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:10 pm
    Which is the right thing to do atm.
    You might think so, the manager doesn't and I'll back the managers judgement.

jrgbfc
    Been Liked: 2098 times
    Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:25 pm

Is paying an average right back who turns 35 soon 30-40k a week the best use of our money? I don't think Garlick would be in the wrong if he's refusing to sanction deals like that. Obviously I'm just speculating here, none of us know the ins and outs of the situation.

FCBurnley
    Been Liked: 1968 times
    Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:42 pm

I would give Bardsley another year but he will be looking for 2 minimum. Hendrick wants away. We don’t need Lennon or the keepers. Hendrick can play at City but might not be committed. So really only Bards is the issue. My team for City would be
    Pope
    Bards Tarks Mee Taylor
    Hendrick Cork Westy McNeil
    JRod Vydra

Brownhill for Hendrick if Dyche thinks Hendrick won’t be up for it. Watford game is far more important than City. It’s one we can win

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:44 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:10 pm
    You might think so, the manager doesn't and I'll back the managers judgement.
    If we can finish this season and get the most money possible in, we can then have more confidence that next season will at least start. We can sign replacements for Lennon and Legzins then. We don't need one for Hart. I'd liked to have kept Hendrick, but he can't have it both ways. He could have signed a longer deal ages ago, we think. Times have changed now and we have to cut our cloth. We will sign his longer term replacement in the break, who will be younger and on less money.

Bards is probably our best rb but is getting on. We need a younger rb who has the potential to be better than Lowts, so sadly, Bards has to go.

Bfcboyo
    Been Liked: 441 times
    Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:51 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:42 pm
    I would give Bardsley another year but he will be looking for 2 minimum. Hendrick wants away. We don’t need Lennon or the keepers. Hendrick can play at City but might not be committed. So really only Bards is the issue. My team for City would be
    Pope
    Bards Tarks Mee Taylor
    JRod Vydra

Brownhill for Hendrick if Dyche thinks Hendrick won’t be up for it. Watford game is far more important than City. It’s one we can win
    Agreed get Brownhill into the action and get him ready for next season.
    These 2 users liked this post: randomclaret2 Vino blanco

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:54 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:42 pm
    Pope
    Bards Tarks Mee Taylor
    JRod Vydra

I’d definitely keep Bardsley and I’m not sure Hendrick does actually want away.

matttheclaret
    Been Liked: 147 times
    Has Liked: 24 times

Post by matttheclaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:17 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:54 pm
    If that's true re Hendrick, can't see why the club aren't backing Dyche on this. If Hendrick does want to stay, that should be a no brainer. Good age still, most versatile player in the squad, almost never injured, virtual ever present. Most importantly - he's a good player. The reasons for keeping him are pretty clear I'd say.

As for Bardsley, I'd hope he'd stay for another year.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:20 pm

matttheclaret wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:17 pm
    If that's true re Hendrick, can't see why the club aren't backing Dyche on this. If Hendrick does want to stay, that should be a no brainer. Good age still, most versatile player in the squad, almost never injured, virtual ever present. Most importantly - he's a good player. The reasons for keeping him are pretty clear I'd say.

We don't know what sort of money Hendrick is asking for though. He may have priced himself out of a deal with us.

matttheclaret
    Been Liked: 147 times
    Has Liked: 24 times

Post by matttheclaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:25 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:20 pm
    We don't know what sort of money Hendrick is asking for though. He may have priced himself out of a deal with us.
    That's true. It's a tough balancing act though. Hendrick cost us £10 million four years ago. How much would it cost us to replace him with an adequate replacement? Agree we can't break the bank to keep him, and there has to be an common sense applied, but if we had to give him a decent pay rise that still kept within the clubs limit, I think that would be pretty reasonable.

Chester Perry
    Been Liked: 3116 times
    Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:34 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:20 pm
    IF it is Celtic - maybe they are offering similar or even less - he may be a lifelong fan fulfilling a dream, he may just want to win trophies and play in the Champions league (Celtic are in the group stages next season)

IF it is Italy the preferential tax system, means he can earn less and take home more, plus Roma tend to offer European football - It has to be said that both Roma and Ac Milan are in a bit of a mess at the moment internally

There is always the probability that he has an offer from another English club - Imagine the fall out on here if it is Leeds, I expect them to strengthen on promotion, and they keep getting linked with some of our players, but it could easily be Jeff, he has the energy, skill and wherewithal to play for Bielsa and wages would not be a problem for someone with that much Premier League nous and experience.
    Last edited by Chester Perry on Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MACCA
    Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:44 pm

matttheclaret wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:17 pm

ClaretTony wrote:

When asked before Christmas Dyche said on the Hendrick contract situation, We want him to stay, I believe he wants to stay, but it's not just a case of him saying I want to stay and we say ok then, there you go, that cannot happen.

To me that tells me he wants x figure, we want to pay him y figure, hopefully we can agree on a z figure.
    Not been his biggest fan, but hes had a great 18 months and hes winning me over more and more.

Be quite costly to replace him, but I understand we csnt just pay every player what he wants or think hes worth.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:47 pm

All players/agents need to get the message that the golden years are over.

daveisaclaret
    Been Liked: 1130 times
    Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:47 pm

Is Jeff Hendrick desperate for a move to Celtic or is he just Irish?

Conroy92
    Been Liked: 497 times
    Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:33 pm

That's Dyche, that's Dyche
    He's unhappy the papers say
    Can't keep hold of Jeffy
    Wants Bardsley to stay
    But the club it turns the deals down
    Mr chairman please stop messing around

Frank Sinatra

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:33 pm

matttheclaret wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:25 pm
    That's true. It's a tough balancing act though. Hendrick cost us £10 million four years ago. How much would it cost us to replace him with an adequate replacement? Agree we can't break the bank to keep him, and there has to be an common sense applied, but if we had to give him a decent pay rise that still kept within the clubs limit, I think that would be pretty reasonable.
    Some would say we already have replaced him with Brownhill, I’d agree though we should keep Hendrick but he was offered a new deal a long time ago and hasn’t signed.

AfloatinClaret
    Been Liked: 559 times
    Has Liked: 1393 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:25 pm

Bfcboyo wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:36 am
      Hendrick has one foot at Celtic it's a done deal.
      Three or four months ago I'd have accepted that comment at face value, but that was before Covid-19; in my opinion, unless Hendrick has a deal already signed, I doubt Celtic, nor anyone else will want him at the £40+k/week that the experts on here reckon he can command, never mind the additional 'sign-on' fee discussed.
      Jeff Hendrick would probably be helpful/improving to Celtic's squad, a proportion of us here feel the same about keeping him at Turf Moor, but he's no Lionel Messi, Dwight McNeil or even Robbie Blake. Celtic are not going to get relegated next season, nor are they going to win a European trophy irrespective of whether Jeff Hendrick is in their squad or not, at best, he might make a difference of 3 or 4 extra points in the SPL next season or perhaps getting one round further in Europe; but signing him's going to cost them in the region of perhaps £4 million quid for the year. A mere bagatelle in a 'normal' season, but in 2020/21?
      Will there be any European competitions? Will there even be an SPL? Celtic might well be paying JH £4 million to sit at home next season and even if games do go ahead, they might well be behind closed doors; I'll bet 'match day' receipts are a much bigger proportion of Celtic's annual income than Burnley's. Unless Celtic already have a contractual obligation to employ JH next season, they're unlikely to commit money that they might not have to get him; the same would apply to any Championship Club, only a Premiership, or perhaps foreign Premiership-equivalent club can realistically take on an additional £4 million liability in these uncertain times and as noted earlier, JH's no Robbie Blake.

AfloatinClaret
      Been Liked: 559 times
      Has Liked: 1393 times

Re: Three cheers for Mike Garlick and the Board!

Post by AfloatinClaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:51 pm

Following through the same argument as my preceding post regarding Celtic signing Jeff Hendrick, I don't believe Burnley should be signing anybody right now, beyond perhaps short-term deals to ensure a comfortable finish this season:
      Next season might not happen at all and I strongly suspect that there'll be no European football, so qualifying for it's irrelevant, even if the season does go ahead, some/all of the games might be behind closed doors, or at best with reduced/socially-distanced spectator numbers, it may well end up curtailled - no problem, if so there'll be no relegation anyway. Money is going to be VERY tight, so if there's no football/income next season then the fewer players on Burnley's books, the better. However, if it does look like going ahead 'as usual', then securing suitable players in a couple of months time won't be a problem as there will be ample available to buy or possibly even loan from the Championship Clubs who'll be even more financially stretched than the Premiership sides. I want Burnley to be in the Premiership, but 'success' as a club - any club! - over the next few months/years will be judged on their ability to remain solvent at whatever level, not on how many points you secure.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:
      Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:51 pm
      Following through the same argument as my preceding post regarding Celtic signing Jeff Hendrick, I don't believe Burnley should be signing anybody right now, beyond perhaps short-term deals to ensure a comfortable finish this season:
      Next season might not happen at all and I strongly suspect that there'll be no European football, so qualifying for it's irrelevant, even if the season does go ahead, some/all of the games might be behind closed doors, or at best with reduced/socially-distanced spectator numbers, it may well end up curtailled - no problem, if so there'll be no relegation anyway. Money is going to be VERY tight, so if there's no football/income next season then the fewer players on Burnley's books, the better. However, if it does look like going ahead 'as usual', then securing suitable players in a couple of months time won't be a problem as there will be ample available to buy or possibly even loan from the Championship Clubs who'll be even more financially stretched than the Premiership sides. I want Burnley to be in the Premiership, but 'success' as a club - any club! - over the next few months/years will be judged on their ability to remain solvent at whatever level, not on how many points you secure.
      Spot on. Not sure many on here have got that yet. The trick is to be nimble once we know what is happening about next season and not to commit to any unnecessary costs in the meantime. I would be surprised if Sean doesn't accept that.
      This user liked this post: rob63

Bordeauxclaret
      Been Liked: 3327 times
      Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:15 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
      It wasn’t long ago we were being told he wants out because of all this abuse only a few people had heard.

DCWat
      Been Liked: 4131 times
      Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:26 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:
      Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:51 pm
      I’d be amazed if there was no European football. Money will talk.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:31 pm

The last thing we need next season is to be in the Micky Mouse league. Our squad will be bare bones.

Royboyclaret
      Been Liked: 1274 times
      Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:41 pm

summitclaret wrote:
      Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:31 pm
      The last thing we need next season is to be in the Micky Mouse league. Our squad will be bare bones.
      That's arguable, but randomclaret has already made the crucial point that every place in the table is worth £2m.

Made a difference of a remarkable £16m Income between '17/'18 and '18/'19 when finishing 7th and then 15th.
      This user liked this post: randomclaret2

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:47 pm

One place off the EL is the place to be.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 pm

UEFA have said that the qualifiers for the Europa league will all be just one leg. I'm pretty sure we won't need to worry about it anyway.

Zlatan
      Been Liked: 2229 times
      Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:59 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
      Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:53 pm
      UEFA have said that the qualifiers for the Europa league will all be just one leg. I'm pretty sure we won't need to worry about it anyway.
      Sod the qualifiers, we’re not far of Champions League group stages - if we win every game :D