Aaron Lennon to leave

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Re: Aaron Lennon to leave

Post by AlargeClaret » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:35 pm

Only on here could people be forecasting doom and gloom as an ineffective aging fringe player leaves .Along with the likes of Bardsley /Lowton , Hart , they were the obvious 3 to go and a seemingly spent Brady may also be a possible .
While I’d like to keep Jeff, he’s hardly irreplaceable . I think we’ve looked good at times and if for lockdown our run could have well taken us to europa . Like all clubs there’s a real air of unpredictability and it’s up to Garlick to really back Dyche and build on our platform and potential .

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:57 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:35 pm
Only on here could people be forecasting doom and gloom as an ineffective aging fringe player leaves .Along with the likes of Bardsley /Lowton , Hart , they were the obvious 3 to go and a seemingly spent Brady may also be a possible .
While I’d like to keep Jeff, he’s hardly irreplaceable . I think we’ve looked good at times and if for lockdown our run could have well taken us to europa . Like all clubs there’s a real air of unpredictability and it’s up to Garlick to really back Dyche and build on our platform and potential .
I'll be surprised if Lowton goes anywhere, surely if Bards goes, he'll be 1st choice at RB, unless we bring somebody in, but that's not certain.

I'm reasonably relaxed in letting most of the ooc players leave, some of them were on big bucks, and they didn't contribute enough.

Getting Bardsley, Hart, Hendrick, Lennon & Legdzins off the books will hopefully free up wages for incomers, i'd have liked to have kept Bardsley & Hendrick on, but the rest are dispensable for me.

I guess Gibson will be flogged in the summer, or sent out on loan anyway.

What really matters is who we bring in, assuming no-one else leaves the building, my shopping list would consist of a young RB to replace Lowton in time, probably another CB, as if Tarks doesn't go in this window he'll almost certainly go next summer, a RW to replace Lennon, preferably someone young who we can develop, if i'm being greedy a CM to back-up Cork/ Westwood, and if we get those i'd be happy, the 4 forwards we've got are fine at this level, and unless one of them, probably Vydra decides to leave, we're well served in that department.

The key for me is identifying and securing young talent to compliment our PL nous, we possess the latter in spades, but the former not so much, and if we did take the drop next season, i'd prefer a hungry squad wanting to prove their worth, than players in the twilight of their careers.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Re: Out of contract players not playing

Post by dsr » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:03 pm

aggi wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:36 pm
There's obviously been a lot of talk about out of contract players not playing. With contracts expiring on 30th June does anyone know of there's any contractual basis for players not playing before that date or is it just that there's concerns about them not putting the effort in?
If they're taking the money, they have no contractual basis for not doing the work. Same as in all jobs. If they were to say that they will only play three quarters of the season so they'll only ask for three quarters of the pay, they would have an arguable case.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:13 pm

aggi wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:36 pm
There's obviously been a lot of talk about out of contract players not playing. With contracts expiring on 30th June does anyone know of there's any contractual basis for players not playing before that date or is it just that there's concerns about them not putting the effort in?
They clearly can't play from 1st July but I am sure I read somewhere that they are within their rights to refuse to play prior to that. It's certainly the case at Charlton where Lyle Taylor is one of three players who have said no to playing.

I looked to see what has happened at Bournemouth with Ryan Fraser. Whether he can play or not, Eddie Howe has confirmed he will not play again for Bournemouth although that is Howe's decision, he said he only wanted players who are fully focused on the relegation battle.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:28 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:13 pm
I looked to see what has happened at Bournemouth with Ryan Fraser. Whether he can play or not, Eddie Howe has confirmed he will not play again for Bournemouth although that is Howe's decision, he said he only wanted players who are fully focused on the relegation battle.
I'm hoping thsts exactly what Mr Dyche does.
We are safe, even if he thinks we need 1 more win, as soon as we do I'd be playing the players thst want to be here, get Brownhill some minutes and BPF just 2 who I'd be making sure got a feel for this club and speed up their bedding in process.
They are the next generation, I wouldn't be wasting valuable game time on those players who only have their best interests at heart.

I'm just so glad we aren't 6 points lighter off, as it would certainly be worrying times

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:32 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
They clearly can't play from 1st July but I am sure I read somewhere that they are within their rights to refuse to play prior to that. It's certainly the case at Charlton where Lyle Taylor is one of three players who have said no to playing.

Yes, that's the bit that's confusing me. There seems to be suggestions that they actually can refuse but I've not seen anything explaining why. I don't remember anything explicit in the player contracts I've seen.

Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 678 times

Post by Whitgord » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:50 pm

I would be very surprised if contracts cater for the eventuality of the season not being completed by the end of June in a given year. Isn’t this the first ever time it has happened? Therefore I think clubs and players will be making up the contractual situation as they go on.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:53 pm

I'm also not sure about the contractual obligations, however, I saw an interview with Jonathan Woodgate at Boro and he was talking about the situation with Ayala who has refused to sign a short extension. He said that he had discussed the situation with him and had agreed that he would not play him in any games before the end of the month because it could jeopardise a possible move to Leeds. Looking at Boro's result today Woodgate may well be regretting this decision although the interview did seem to say that Ayala was refusing to play anyway.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1099 times

Post by bfcmik » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:58 pm

ClaretTony wrote:

I think that they can claim that they fear for their, or their family's, health if they have to break social distancing guidelines. I know my sister-in-law, for example, was told by Safran that she could do the same if she wished but would get no pay and no furlough money as it would be deemed a voluntary lay-off, and would go to the head of queue with others taking time off should redundancies become necessary - She carried on working! No coronavirus PPE provided for the workers either. (haven't spoken to her for a couple of months so things may have improved since then)

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:06 pm

ClaretTony wrote:

I'm certain that a player can refuse to play and the club can't in practice do anything about it. They could appeal to the FA but I'd be surprised if the FA could make any practical action such as suspending the player for his first three games for his new club. They wouldn't, probably couldn't, do that.

I'd have thought a player refusing to play in June should have his wages docked for June, though. Whether that's legally possible, I don't know.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:18 pm

If I was Dyche, I’d just ask him to turn up and sit on the bench until 30/06 with the promise he’ll only be used if needed. That treats him fairly and would be professional on his behalf.

If we weren’t going to offer him a deal next season, he’s well within his rights to preserve his fitness in my opinion, but should make himself available until contract end.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:24 pm

It is s strange one. Normally, there would be a 'recovery' gap between season and and contract end. Great shame if there is no 'good will's as hoped for, by the manager.

Given how we have paid throughout long injuries and e forced breaks, you would hope for some kind of morality.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:48 pm

We need keep Sean, but if he prepared to fall out with the Board over any of the ooc players, then he is clearly imo engineering a move. Unusually for me, if it comes to sides, I am backing the Board on this one and not Sean.
This user liked this post: BurnleyFC

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:53 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:48 pm
We need keep Sean, but if he prepared to fall out with the Board over any of the ooc players, then he is clearly imo engineering a move. Unusually for me, if it comes to sides, I am backing the Board on this one and not Sean.
Same and I never thought I’d say that. His timing is off on this one - all a bit unprofessional, strangely for SD, and think he needs to understand the gravity of the situation affecting us and all clubs. He’s on a very lucrative contract himself so would be best suited to sorting any issues out behind closed doors (or via Zoom these days).

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:58 pm

Lennon and the other OOC players, excluding Hendrick, are ageing bit-part players. it's time to shift them and invest in some new blood. I'm with the board.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:04 pm

Combine the wages of Lennon & Hart and we could get a damn good player !

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:05 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:04 pm
Combine the wages of Lennon & Hart and we could get a damn good player !
Do you mean an overlapping keeper? 😀

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:07 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:51 am
It's an opinion - bloody hell, it's been obvious to everyone for some time that all is not right between manager and chairman and clearly, given this week's comments we have seen things get even worse.
Sean can fall out with our chairman all he likes but the fact is that at any other club he wouldn’t have been given the time he has.

He’s been fantastic for us but if he wants to chance his arm at another club then so be it. He’s certainly not above criticism nor bigger than the club itself.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill summitclaret

BurnleyFC

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:14 pm

Plus, Eddie Howe will be looking for another job soon at this rate :lol:

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:16 pm

Waiting to hear Garlick's view on the situation
This user liked this post: BurnleyFC

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 323 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by Woonderbah » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:05 pm

Sad to see Aaron leave as he seems a great professional and decent character but we do need to refreshen the squad if we want to kick on as a club.
As said further up the thread, I'd like to see some of our U23s fill the peripheral roles.

BurnleyFC

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:23 pm

Wokingclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:16 pm
Waiting to hear Garlick's view on the situation
I would hope that Mr Garlick would put Mr Dyche in his place.

There must be an order of heirarchy somewhere.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:26 pm

This kind of situation has been bubbling up for a while down to our repeated failures in the last few years with regards to transfers. Who was at fault for these failures the board or Sean? Either way it’s going to need to be resolved one way or another. Could be perfect timing being a buyers market.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:31 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:07 pm
Sean can fall out with our chairman all he likes but the fact is that at any other club he wouldn’t have been given the time he has.
Serious question how much time did our club give him?

He absolutely overachieved in his fist full season and has barely put a foot wrong since giving us success beyond our wildest imaginations.

He has kept the job not because of our clubs patience but because he has been one of the best managers in the whole history of our club and the only way we have ever been likely to lose him is if he got a better offer and chose to leave us

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:37 pm

Its always a worry when an out of contract player wants to leave. This may be a case of Aaron wanting more game time - nothing to do with money.

If SD got his way all the time, he would undoubtedly fill the squad with old experienced players on inflated wages. Its far easier to manage and succeed with a team that know the score rather than take a chance with untested players from the lower leagues.

I'm not worried in the least with this latest news - most premier league teams are in the same boat apart from the top six.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:03 pm

Is Mr Rigg still at the club ? What exactly is he doing ?

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:09 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:03 pm
Is Mr Rigg still at the club ? What exactly is he doing ?
Long Time Lurker will be able to fill you in on that one.

Commy
Been Liked: 464 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:49 pm

Lennon was asked to defend more with us than when at other clubs which made him inefective going forward. No point signing a fast attacking winger then asking them to be behind the half way line for most of the game. That's why his best games were against teams we did well against.

As for Dyche, he is, unfortunately, his own worst enemy. He has done so well with practically nothing so is expected now to do it with nothing.

I think the board are hoping we can sign some gems on lesser wages or some of the youngsters can step up. Risky business but they put their money in initially to get us here so it's their perogative how they run it. If we go down because of it so be it. I would rather watch Burnley in any division than not at all.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:56 pm

ClaretTony wrote:

They are not within their contractual rights to refuse to play this month - they can refuse on a personal basis as did Tarks at Brentford in which case I would like to see them fined the max two weeks wages for every week they refuse to play :D

Read this week that Lyle Taylor has now apologised to Bowyer/Charlton and will make himself available till the end of his contract

https://talksport.com/football/efl/7166 ... -transfer/
Last edited by jojomk1 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:56 pm

For gods sake is it really that big a deal. Lennon is a bit part player at best. Hart was going anyway. Legzdin who? Bardsley as good as he is is of the wrong age, replace with Glennon next year. Hendrick the only one I am really bothered about leaving but surely now this is the chance for Brownhill.

We need to lower the wage bill and the age of the squad. We are safe. What does it matter if these players were going anyway? 6 games isnt going to matter.

As I see it we still an England keeper, a steady back 4, likewise midfield and 4 up front. Yes we need replacements and hopefully this is where Garlick finally realising we need a few more youth players bringing through to save on wages and a couple of players to walk straight into the 1st team with the odd sensible squad player signed on low wages. We have no need for such a bloated squad when Sean doesnt change teams
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Wokingclaret

Post by Wokingclaret » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:00 pm

I thought Lennon would be a great signing for us, but it just didn't happen

Wokingclaret

Post by Wokingclaret » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:09 pm

To be quite frank about it, Beardsley's attitude has been so good and fitness, he could play on for two years, i thought he was gone at Wolves last season, but he has been brilliant ever since

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:26 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:12 am
Good point.

If you haven’t got anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
This messageboard will soon close then :!:
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:29 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:56 pm
They are not within their contractual rights to refuse to play this month - they can refuse on a personal basis as did Tarks at Brentford in which case I would like to see them fined the max two weeks wages for every week they refuse to play :D

Read this week that Lyle Taylor has now apologised to Bowyer/Charlton and will make himself available till the end of his contract

https://talksport.com/football/efl/7166 ... -transfer/
Well Lyle Taylor didn't play today in their victory at Hull , and neither did the Hull captain Eric Lichaj nor vice-captain Jackson Irvine, and neither will play for Hull again, so you do wonder how many other clubs will have to juggle their squads for the rest of the season, if players refuse to make themselves available.

I agree if players aren't prepared to play, then they can't be expected to be paid during this period.
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:40 pm

Wokingclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:09 pm
To be quite frank about it, Beardsley's attitude has been so good and fitness, he could play on for two years, i thought he was gone at Wolves last season, but he has been brilliant ever since
Who's Beardsley? i didn't know we had a new signing :)

If you were referring to Bardsley, then i understand why the club are reluctant to give a 35 year-old a 2 year contract, however reliable he's been in recent months, that's fine letting him go, if we replace him and the others with decent quality imports, or have youngsters ready to make the step up, that's my concern that we don't have players in the squad who can be relied upon if required, and this is what needs addressing in this upcoming window.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:42 pm

It's very interesting that some players have been quite happy to pick up their full wages during lockdown but are very quick to say no to that employer when they have the choice of a short term extension to help the club see the season out.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1099 times

Post by bfcmik » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:53 pm

Wokingclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:09 pm
I could see Bardsley doing a Graham Alexander. I haven't noticed any tailing off in his fitness, commitment or game-pace (not sure if he ever had any :lol:)

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:00 am

Meanwhile the chairman's silence is deafening.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:05 am

Rodleydave wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:00 am
What should the chairman be saying?

Contracts have been offered, they’ve been refused. 🤷‍♂️

Red Fox Rocks Socks
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by Red Fox Rocks Socks » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:12 am

Rodleydave wrote:
He’s in a no win situation though.

If he blasts Dyche he’ll alienate a lot of fans/he’s the ungrateful chairman/give Dyche (assuming he is angling to leave) his free pass out of here/airing dirty laundry

If he lays what’s been offered out he’s pandering to people wanting to know what’s not really our business/airing dirty laundry again

If he keeps quiet his silence is deafening

If he manages expectations he’s no ambition

If he comes out saying we want to buy buy buy then prices go up

I think in his shoes I’d be keeping quiet. He can only be the bad guy at the min no matter what
This user liked this post: Swizzlestick

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:15 am

Red Fox Rocks Socks wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:12 am
He’s in a no win situation though.

If he blasts Dyche he’ll alienate a lot of fans/he’s the ungrateful chairman/give Dyche (assuming he is angling to leave) his free pass out of here/airing dirty laundry

If he lays what’s been offered out he’s pandering to people wanting to know what’s not really our business/airing dirty laundry again

If he keeps quiet his silence is deafening

If he manages expectations he’s no ambition

If he comes out saying we want to buy buy buy then prices go up

I think in his shoes I’d be keeping quiet. He can only be the bad guy at the min no matter what
Exactly. Dyche is the one who’s rocked the boat here at such an awkward juncture. I’d be keeping quiet too.

rob63

Post by rob63 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:25 am

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:23 pm
I would hope that Mr Garlick would put Mr Dyche in his place.

There must be an order of heirarchy somewhere.
Can't see that happening...... he might give a post season interview & try to pour oil on troubled waters, but not a slap-down. i think he's previously given interviews near or after the end of the transfer window though.

rob63

Post by rob63 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:45 am

Whitgord wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:50 pm
I would be very surprised if contracts cater for the eventuality of the season not being completed by the end of June in a given year. Isn’t this the first ever time it has happened? Therefore I think clubs and players will be making up the contractual situation as they go on.
Isn't it a FIFA/FA directive about offering a contract extension to the end of the season rather than the end of June?

The offer has to be made by a certain date & the player has the right to refuse the offer.

As i understand it, a loan player is considered to still be registered with his loan club until the end of the season & can't return to play for his parent club until after the season ends, although he can return to his parent club to train. League 1 & 2 season is regarded as still current until the play-offs are completed & promotion places are decided.

That's how I read it but if someone knows the actual directive, please share.....Chester? Not sure how legally enforceable the loan situation would be in an employment court though.

Wokingclaret

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:27 am

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:40 pm
Who's Beardsley? i didn't know we had a new signing :)

If you were referring to Bardsley, then i understand why the club are reluctant to give a 35 year-old a 2 year contract, however reliable he's been in recent months, that's fine letting him go, if we replace him and the others with decent quality imports, or have youngsters ready to make the step up, that's my concern that we don't have players in the squad who can be relied upon if required, and this is what needs addressing in this upcoming window.
That's what I was on about Tiger76...decent quality imports :ugeek:

Lord_Bob
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Lord_Bob » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:41 am

This is not just between the manager and the chairman, the players are playing a role here as well. Maybe Bardsley wants two years? Hendrick has had his head turned by a bigger offer? Maybe SD thinks he can resolve those issues, maybe Garlick thinks he can't - or won't hand over extra cash.

Another thought - Dyche knows he can't get Bards and Hendrick to sign no matter what, so he is "blaming" the chairman in an effort to retain team unity. "See lads, I've done everything I can to get you contracts, but the chairman won't budge." Might be stretching it a bit, but Dyche is pretty astute and might be using a bit of psychology???

Whatever, we are in a bit of a pickle regarding numbers if no one signs even a short term deal, but, thankfully, we appear to be safe, so short term we are OK.

Long term? Money will decide, as usual. What do we have left to replace those leaving? can we find good enough quality at a price we are willing to pay? Will be a challenge, given our recruitment history.

Just a pity all our most promising youngsters went out on loan, though clearly the right thing to do at the time. Seems given the situation created by COVID, there might have been a consideration for loanees to play for their parent club if the loan club's season was finished? particularly as the PL season has been extended beyond normal finishing time.
Last edited by Lord_Bob on Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:13 am

Rodleydave wrote:
the only surprising statement the chairman has made during his tenure is the one he made in April about the potential losses of £50m - His and the boards policy is as close to the royal family as you can get in this country - which means absolutely nothing to say on those things that are said about them - it irritates many but I quite like it. I would be hugely surprised if Sean was rebuked by Garlick or any kind of statement was made, it is just not their way (old fashioned as many may perceive it).

While the comments from Dyche are somewhat more direct I didn't see much in his body language or facial expressions to say he had had enough. Sometimes I feel he is given free reign to voice the fans feelings - just to keep them onside with Dyche and the team, with the board playing their role by appearing aloof in not commenting. It may be wishful thinking but this wouldn't be the first instance of this approach in football

In a separate note, I would like to express my gratitude to Long time Lurker - I really appreciate anyone who takes time to research and make a case base on reasoned argument. I don't have to agree with him, just appreciate the thought and effort that goes into his posts (and I realise many think they go on for too long), they are generally full of detail and to the point.
This user liked this post: rob63

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:46 am

aggi wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:32 pm
Yes, that's the bit that's confusing me. There seems to be suggestions that they actually can refuse but I've not seen anything explaining why. I don't remember anything explicit in the player contracts I've seen.
I’d guess:

Players could reasonable argue that as a player the playing season is over at this point in a contractual calendar. It’s a non contractual ‘norm’ that players would likely be on paid ‘annual leave’ at this point in the year. Therefore any request to physically train and play that might result in injury is a breech in contract and could impact their ability to apply their chosen trade in the future.

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to refuse to play.

Also, those who would argue that they might be playing internationally, the player would be covered under their FA insurance for injury and loss of earnings. Like Dean Ashton.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:57 am

People making it really hard on the mods discussing the same old things in 2, 3 threads. If you gonna make general comments best stick to the injury thread which they already merged with another thread heading in the same direction as this one.

Shame about Lennon for me. Thought he would at least be a great option to bring on to defend a lead. His work rate is fantastic.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:33 am

Why not put them both under the title "Garlick v Dyche" :D

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:48 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:42 pm
It's very interesting that some players have been quite happy to pick up their full wages during lockdown but are very quick to say no to that employer when they have the choice of a short term extension to help the club see the season out.
Not sure about very interesting - possibly quite interesting if it was actually true.
But let’s assume it was true - it would be even more interesting if those players agreed to play in a few pretty meaningless games before they are allowed to sign a contract with a new club in 9 days time and then suffered a serious injury and were then not only unable to sign a new contract with another club but were also left with a contract with Burnley which took them up to the end of July.
Yep that would be very very interesting to see any other player do that for any club who are sat in mid table with little or nothing to play for but more prize money - money which is still not enough to offer that player more than one months contract.
This user liked this post: rob63