Big 24 hours...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NewClaret
Been Liked: 3106 times
Has Liked: 3824 times

Big 24 hours...

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:09 am

Can’t see Bardsley or Jeff signing an extension if they are not going to re-sign (who would risk the injury?). Extensions have to be registered by tomorrow, so guessing we’ll know In next 24 hours what is happening on both fronts.

Then there’s City. We’ll see what shape the players are in. Personally will just be happy to get through tonight with no injuries/suspensions, given how threadbare the squad is.

Worst case scenario is no signings, injuries and a post-match rant from Dyche worsening the relationship with the Chairman! :shock: :? :o

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Re: Big 24 hours...

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:14 am

Vydra to score another cracker and nick it in the last five mins eh?

You have to be an optimist to support the Clarets. (With or without Bardsley and Hendrick)

At least Sean has backed off a bit and said he's "Not less happy" at Burnley. That's a relief.
These 2 users liked this post: paulatky KateR

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3106 times
Has Liked: 3824 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:28 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:14 am
Vydra to score another cracker and nick it in the last five mins eh?

You have to be an optimist to support the Clarets. (With or without Bardsley and Hendrick)

At least Sean has backed off a bit and said he's "Not less happy" at Burnley. That's a relief.
Hadn’t seen that. That’s good news!

Just need a signature from Jeff & Bards now :D

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:06 am

What news is there of the OOC players in the Youth and under 23 squads. How many are leaving?

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:28 am

We must have made Bards a very poor offer. As well as he has played his age would make it unlikely he’ll get a great deal anywhere else.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:40 am

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:28 am
As well as he has played his age would make it unlikely he’ll get a great deal anywhere else.
He'll get an offer from a lower League Club (Salford City?) but, you're right, unlikely to be a great deal.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:49 am

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:28 am
We must have made Bards a very poor offer. As well as he has played his age would make it unlikely he’ll get a great deal anywhere else.
From his point of view this might be the last time/age he can secure a three year deal even if that means dropping down a league, better three years of security, even if it's on a lower annual wage it could still add up to more.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:04 am

CombatClaret wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:49 am
From his point of view this might be the last time/age he can secure a three year deal even if that means dropping down a league, better three years of security, even if it's on a lower annual wage it could still add up to more.
Fair point but I saw some figures on average wages for the 4 divisions. 3 years at Championship would barely cover 1 year PL. Another good season and he can expect a further deal to follow from somewhere.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:09 am

Bards seems to be in the Graham Alexander mould of fitness. I reckon he could do another 12-24 months with us before going into the lower leagues for two or three seasons if that is what he wants

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:54 am

When Tripps signs in the summer, all this upset will quickly be forgotten.

To buy good players, you first have to sell or release your crap ones to get the wage bill down, and we have a few of those that we won't miss.

Personally, I fully expect Brownhill to play tonight and I'm looking forward to him slotting balls through for Vydra and J Rod to run onto.

We might just cause an upset tonight. After all, we did it at United and they've been unbeaten since.

C'mon you PL Clarets
These 3 users liked this post: paulatky Paul Waine Guller Bull

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:30 pm

We have the oldest squad in the Premier League this year.

Bardsley has played well for us but we should not have been in the position that he became first choice right back, nor should we be offering him a long contract at 35. Right back is a position that has needed strengthening for the last few windows.

Lennon is an expensive bit part player that won't be missed.

Hart is just expensive and Legzdins will never play.

Hendrick has refused a new contract so good luck to him. He's been good for us in his time here.

As we're constantly reminded, our recruitment has been fantastic since Mike Rigg was appointed - how else could we possibly be where we are in the league / you've never had it so good etc. - but it really is time for them to step up an pull a few (younger) rabbits out of the hat this summer.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:33 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:54 am
When Tripps signs in the summer, all this upset will quickly be forgotten.

To buy good players, you first have to sell or release your crap ones to get the wage bill down, and we have a few of those that we won't miss.

Personally, I fully expect Brownhill to play tonight and I'm looking forward to him slotting balls through for Vydra and J Rod to run onto.

We might just cause an upset tonight. After all, we did it at United and they've been unbeaten since.

C'mon you PL Clarets
Unlike many on here i'm ambivalent to Hart, Lennon, and probably Bardsley & Hendrick leaving us, and also Legzdins, out of that quintet, only Bardsley & Hendrick could be considered regular 1st teamers, Lennon was often used as an impact sub, with little impact, and the 2 keepers are dispensable.

As you rightly point out we need to trim the squad of deadwood, and hopefully reduce our wage bill which is getting dangerously high, before dipping into the market, and bringing in new blood, i'm excited to see Brownhill in a Clarets shirt, and he's the future, so if he's fit and ready get him in.

What we urgently need to address in this window is our glaring gaps in the squad, CB, CM, RB, RW are the 4 key areas we need to strengthen, and possibly a 3rd choice keeper, but that's not an essential for me, how often does a 3rd choice keeper play.

Now of course this all depends who stays and who goes, i think it's safe to assume Gibson will be on his way this summer, so although Kev Long has never let us down, we might need to look to fill a position there, and there's lot's of speculation surrounding Tarks future, so if he goes we'll be looking at 2 cb's coming in.

Centre-mid has been a troublesome area for many years, Cork & Westwood toil away manfully, but we're lacking that creative spark, Brownhill might be the answer, but i'd still like us to scout the market for a young dynamic box-to-box midfielder who can chip in with the odd goal here and there, we're far too reliant on our strikers to score, and when they hit a rough patch we struggle to find the net.

Right-back Lowton may yet resume his place, but we need a younger contender to challenge him, and keep him on his toes.

Right-wing we need to recruit here now Lennon's leaving the building, i suggested Bright Osayi-Samuel of QPR as a long-term fix on another thread, he's only 22 but he's got talent, and can surely only improve, this is the route i'd prefer us to go down, scour young talent that we can develop, and potentially sell-on in a couple of seasons, we appear to have abandoned this strategy since the departure of Frank McParland.

I would agree it's our most important transfer window for many seasons, and if we don't get it right, it could be a long season next year.
This user liked this post: KateR

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:44 pm

Sproggy wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:30 pm

Bardsley has played well for us but we should not have been in the position that he became first choice right back, nor should we be offering him a long contract at 35. Right back is a position that has needed strengthening for the last few windows.

Hendrick has refused a new contract so good luck to him. He's been good for us in his time here.

As we're constantly reminded, our recruitment has been fantastic since Mike Rigg was appointed - how else could we possibly be where we are in the league / you've never had it so good etc. - but it really is time for them to step up an pull a few (younger) rabbits out of the hat this summer.
Totally agree on your last sentence, it's time for Mike Rigg to earn his corn, and no that's not recruiting under 23 players, we need players that can either go straight into the 1st XI, or at least be strong contenders for a 1st team place, if Mr Rigg can't deliver that, then he should be given his P45 ASAP.

Mike Rigg has been at BFC for nearly 2 years,and 3 transfer windows now, and as far as i can see he's done the square root of sod all.

BPF, Brownhill & Jay Rod are the only notable signings in that period, and everybody on this board could have identified them, it's not rocket science if you watch the Championship regularly, where's our global scouting network unearthing the hidden gems, that's what we need to ensure we can continue competing in this league for a few more years yet.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1410 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:10 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:14 am
Vydra to score another cracker and nick it in the last five mins eh? You have to be an optimist to support the Clarets...
So which is to be? 'Nicking' it in the last five mins is no more than we're all expecting.

'Vydra to score another cracker completing his hat trick and sealing BFC's 5-0 victory in the last five mins" Now that is optimism;
This user liked this post: dsr

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:12 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:10 pm
So which is to be? 'Nicking' it in the last five mins is no more than we're all expecting.

'Vydra to score another cracker completing his hat trick and sealing BFC's 5-0 victory in the last five mins" Now that is optimism;
I think you'll get very good odds on 0-5. I'll settle for 0-1.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3793 times
Has Liked: 12492 times

Post by Leisure » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:15 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:33 pm

I would agree it's our most important transfer window for many seasons, and if we don't get it right, it could be a long season next year.
Seem to recall hearing this said for the previous 5 or 6 windows!

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:29 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Centre-mid has been a troublesome area for many years, Cork & Westwood toil away manfully, but we're lacking that creative spark
Only three central midfielders have more PL assists than Westwood this season.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:35 pm

Sproggy wrote:

Good points. It's just now dawning on me that Mike Rigg has played a blinder: covid-19 means that lots of Championship clubs will be desperate to unload their up and coming talent. Opportunities for lots of younger players to sign for the Clarets this summer, all well within the "new normal" Premier League finances. ;) :) :D

UTC

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:40 pm

tiger76 wrote:

Before anyone else says it, tiger76, I want to say I hope next season isn't as long as this one. ;)
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:46 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:29 pm
How many of them are corners though? Dont get me wrong having his ability to deliver corners as he does for players like Tarks, Mee and Wood is invaluable to us but if you're talking about him in the context of being a creative midfielder then I dont think this is very relevant.

It would be like calling Graham Alexander a good goal scoring midfielder play for sticking away 7 or 8 penalties in a season

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:09 pm

No way we should be offering Bardsley a 2 year deal. 12 months tops and if he turns it down so be it.

NickBFC
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 291 times

Post by NickBFC » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:12 pm

Sproggy wrote:

Absolutely. If we don't lower the average age of our squad, it will come to bite us in the backside. Premier League, or Championship, we need to produce decent players with sell on value whether that is through our own youth system, or bringing players in a la Pope/Tarkowski. Have to try and trust the club in this as difficult as it might seem when Dyche has publicly lambasted the chairman.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:19 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:46 pm
How many of them are corners though? Dont get me wrong having his ability to deliver corners as he does for players like Tarks, Mee and Wood is invaluable to us but if you're talking about him in the context of being a creative midfielder then I dont think this is very relevant.

It would be like calling Graham Alexander a good goal scoring midfielder play for sticking away 7 or 8 penalties in a season
Possibly not too many assists from corners, because only first assists count. It seems to me that a lot of our corner goals are Westwood to Mee, Mee heads it into the mix, Wood sticks it home. Westwood wouldn't get an assist for that.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:22 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:19 pm
Possibly not too many assists from corners, because only first assists count. It seems to me that a lot of our corner goals are Westwood to Mee, Mee heads it into the mix, Wood sticks it home. Westwood wouldn't get an assist for that.
Maybe I honestly don't know the stats on that detail. If the majority of his assists are not from his corners then its a different story and he is obviously more creative than some of us give him credit for

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:32 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Unlike many on here i'm ambivalent to Hart, Lennon, and probably Bardsley & Hendrick leaving us, and also Legzdins, out of that quintet, only Bardsley & Hendrick could be considered regular 1st teamers, Lennon was often used as an impact sub, with little impact, and the 2 keepers are dispensable.

As you rightly point out we need to trim the squad of deadwood, and hopefully reduce our wage bill which is getting dangerously high, before dipping into the market, and bringing in new blood, i'm excited to see Brownhill in a Clarets shirt, and he's the future, so if he's fit and ready get him in.

What we urgently need to address in this window is our glaring gaps in the squad, CB, CM, RB, RW are the 4 key areas we need to strengthen, and possibly a 3rd choice keeper, but that's not an essential for me, how often does a 3rd choice keeper play.

Now of course this all depends who stays and who goes, i think it's safe to assume Gibson will be on his way this summer, so although Kev Long has never let us down, we might need to look to fill a position there, and there's lot's of speculation surrounding Tarks future, so if he goes we'll be looking at 2 cb's coming in.

Centre-mid has been a troublesome area for many years, Cork & Westwood toil away manfully, but we're lacking that creative spark, Brownhill might be the answer, but i'd still like us to scout the market for a young dynamic box-to-box midfielder who can chip in with the odd goal here and there, we're far too reliant on our strikers to score, and when they hit a rough patch we struggle to find the net.

Right-back Lowton may yet resume his place, but we need a younger contender to challenge him, and keep him on his toes.

Right-wing we need to recruit here now Lennon's leaving the building, i suggested Bright Osayi-Samuel of QPR as a long-term fix on another thread, he's only 22 but he's got talent, and can surely only improve, this is the route i'd prefer us to go down, scour young talent that we can develop, and potentially sell-on in a couple of seasons, we appear to have abandoned this strategy since the departure of Frank McParland.

My question is, do we have the cash post-COVID to spend in the market? The chairman said we’d run out of cash by August had the season not been played, do we genuinely have stockpiles of cash in case we are relegated? or was the whole “safeguarding the club” horseshit like when Kiby said the promotion would set us up for the next 10 years.

I fear we are going to be somewhat crippled next season financially due to COVID, somebody put my mind at rest and convince me otherwise....

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:40 pm

Leisure wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:15 pm
Seem to recall hearing this said for the previous 5 or 6 windows!
Yes it has been mentioned once or twice, these ageing players leaving might turn out to be a godsend, as it forces Dyche and the club to act to secure replacements, there was a danger of familiarity breeding contempt, and our squad has been creaking at the seams in the past couple of seasons.

Fortunately we've hit a purple patch around Xmas/new year on both occasions, when it looked like we might be hitting the relegation rocks, and we've managed to comfortably survive in both instances.

I think the issue isn't around our 1st XI if they're all fit and on form we can give most teams a game in this league, but if we get injuries/suspensions, players out of form, Cork being a notable example at the beginning of last season, then we don't have the strength in depth to allow us to change things up, either during games, or from match to match, this is likely why we'll struggle in this packed schedule over the next 6 weeks, it'll resemble our EL season and we didn't fare well in the early months of that campaign. Plus the 5 subs rule isn't going to help us, i know they're on a different level, but look at the players both Merseyside clubs were able to call on yesterday to try and win the game, and this applies to most other PL teams.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:57 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:32 pm
My question is, do we have the cash post-COVID to spend in the market? The chairman said we’d run out of cash by August had the season not been played, do we genuinely have stockpiles of cash in case we are relegated? or was the whole “safeguarding the club” horseshit like when Kiby said the promotion would set us up for the next 10 years.

I fear we are going to be somewhat crippled next season financially due to COVID, somebody put my mind at rest and convince me otherwise....
As is often the case with chairman, i suspect he was looking at the worst case scenario, and this season not being completed, now that isn't the case you'd hope we'd have some wriggle room in the market, i don't think anybody expects us to be splurging out £20m+ on individual players and the wages that would entail, what most hope for is we can pick up a couple of bargains from the Championship, or maybe even the lower leagues, this is where we find out if our scouting network is up to the task, I've no doubt there is players at this level that could make the step up, the key is identifying them early, and being proactive, sadly we haven't suggested we can perform either of these things in recent seasons.

It can't have escaped your notice that our wage bill has risen sharply in the last few years, yes we have the TV income to fall back on, but unlike other clubs we don't have the luxury of owners with deep pockets, so that means we have to shop cleverly when we do delve into the market, overall our record is decent, but we have made expensive mistakes as well, Gibson is in danger of becoming a noose round our neck if we can't move him on, and i'd guess he's one of our higher wage earners.

On a positive note our prudence could serve us well if the worst comes to the worst, we have no debt, transfer fees outstanding, and we're probably due some instalments for outgoing players, so we'll likely be evens on that score, and we have plenty of saleable talent if we need to balance the books, so although we might have to tighten our belts, we're well placed to come through this turbulence, and not have a bumpy landing.

claret wizard
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:22 pm

Sproggy wrote:

The word in the ranks of junior football is that the dev squad is packed full of talent waiting to slot into the first team. The brightest set of youngsters that Burnley have ever had.

If so then this 9 game mini league with 5 subs is the ideal time to see who makes the grade and who we release and spend the cash on those positions.

Sproggy

Post by Sproggy » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:25 pm

That would be fantastic to see

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2600 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:39 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:29 pm

We’re not interested in facts Tall Paul... we want hidden gems with fancy names. (Don’t tell them that Dwight McNeil was a hidden Gem, or the appreciation in value of Taylor, Pope and Tarkowski)

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 589 times

Post by rob63 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:48 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:

7 or 8 penalties a season? Ah, those were the days :D

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 979 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:55 pm

Pope will probably need to do plenty of bending and stretching exercises if Aguero has his shooting boots on.

Whenever he lines up against the clarets it's like shooting fish in a barrel. :x

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:57 pm

Squad age is not relevant - they either can play or they cannot. More important is fitness, character and of course ability.

The classic case is Rodriquez. 29 when we got him back, likely past his peak and a question over his long term fitness. Not especially impressive when he first got an opportunity but once given a run and other players adapted to his way he was a big part in our good recent performances. Would you rather have Maupay or Adams? Not me.

It's worth comparing our transfer market activities with our rivals in the league. Some of these clubs have bought players that we thought would be useful and affordable but others who wouldn't fit in with how we do things or price. How are our rivals doing currently?

I'm not saying we can't do better but I've no idea which players are the ones that are actually better.

Sproggy

Post by Sproggy » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:02 pm

>Squad age is not relevant - they either can play or they cannot. More important is fitness, character and of course ability.

It is when it comes to renewing contracts.

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:12 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:39 pm
We’re not interested in facts Tall Paul... we want hidden gems with fancy names. (Don’t tell them that Dwight McNeil was a hidden Gem, or the appreciation in value of Taylor, Pope and Tarkowski)
Dwight's quite a fancy name for our squad.

Signing a Charlie, Nick or James after they've played 100 games in the championship just isn't as exciting as signing an unknown Frédéric or Besart who no-one knows nothing about and you can harbour that brief hope that they may turn out to be a world-beater.

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:13 pm

Hipper wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:57 pm
Squad age is not relevant - they either can play or they cannot. More important is fitness, character and of course ability.

The classic case is Rodriquez. 29 when we got him back, likely past his peak and a question over his long term fitness. Not especially impressive when he first got an opportunity but once given a run and other players adapted to his way he was a big part in our good recent performances. Would you rather have Maupay or Adams? Not me.

It's worth comparing our transfer market activities with our rivals in the league. Some of these clubs have bought players that we thought would be useful and affordable but others who wouldn't fit in with how we do things or price. How are our rivals doing currently?

I'm not saying we can't do better but I've no idea which players are the ones that are actually better.
That's only really true if you're only looking at the current moment in time. Trying to plan for a year or two in the future squad age is very relevant.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:37 pm

I've been harping on about bringing in younger players for the last 5 or 6 windows. However, I think it is important to recognise that we don't have a huge amount of money to spend. Given Mike Riggs unprecedented ability to **** huge sums of money up the wall on average players we might only get one shot at this.

If we spend a big chunk of our financial reserves to bring in a cavalcade of mediocre players on long contracts and generous wages that will really hurt us in the long run. I'm saying yes to signing good young players and no to signing young players of questionable standard or young players that aren't suited to the way that we play ( just because they have posted eye catching stats playing differently elsewhere ).

We needed quality young players last Summer and we signed two seasoned veterans, a better than nothing option ( who turned out to be worse than nothing ) and a young keeper who was struggling to establish himself as a Championship calibre player.

I have faith in our goal keeping staff to spot a player with potential, but I wouldn't be happy to have BPF as our second placed bacon saver - unless he has shown considerable improvement during his short time with us. BPF strikes me as " one for the future ", not one for next season.

Our need to freshen up the squad with younger players shouldn't over shadow our need for quality and suitability ( in respect to our current framework ).

If next season goes ahead ( which looks likely ) then we might be in a position where we have a very short pre-season. That isn't ideal for bedding in a lot of players or coming to terms with a new style of play.

I don't think we will be seeing a lot of clubs bending over to sell their players cheaply. I think prices will come down a bit and some of the clubs will be more open to moving players on for respectable amounts. Players that they might not have entertained offers for in a regular window.

Unfortunately, we have placed ourselves in a regretable position where we will have to buy players in the next window to fill gaps. The clubs that we will be buying from will know this, which puts us at a disadvantage ( especially if we refrain from doing our business until late in the window or we waste a huge amount of time chasing after a target list of unrealistic players like we did last Summer ).

Being in a position where you have to do something is always more fraught with risk than having the freedom to choose when to act and when not to act. Our recruitment related decision making and our poor strategic planning over the last eighteen months has put us firmly behind the 8 ball.

The upcoming window could be seen as one of opportunity. However I think the clubs with quality recruitment teams will be the ones who will benefit and the clubs with poor recruitment teams will get well and truly spanked. Having the ability to bend with the wind ( react quickly and decisively to changing circumstances ) will be key. Any club that has to contend with the liability of a narrow minded linear thinker calling their recruitment shots is really going to struggle.

To avoid disappointment I'm setting my aspirations low at the outset. A recruitment department that cowered away from the difficult Winter window ( their assesment ) isn't going to be relishing the opportunity to compete in the dynamic and unpredictable window that we are about to enter.

I will be somewhat content if we don't repeat the poor showing of last Summer and we don't compromise our future by squandering our meagre war chest on a host of second rate players ( it wasn't our fault the stats indicated they were good or it was a difficult window and we did the best we could ).

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:45 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:

Tbh DA I’ve no idea why Tark and Mee go up for corners.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3793 times
Has Liked: 12492 times

Post by Leisure » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:15 pm

Dyched wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:45 pm
Tbh DA I’ve no idea why Tark and Mee go up for corners.
I'll help you out. It's to try to score.