The Chairman

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: The Chairman

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:00 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:34 am
It would seem four players have refused to play for the club when fit and within current contract

And Dyche, plus others on here, seem to think that is ok and we should be bowing to their demands?
like Tarks did with Brentford ? Not saying it's right, just saying it happens to most clubs

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:09 am

KateR wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:20 am
I think the Chairman has spoken rather loudly and firmly up to now, you're just not listening or agreeing with him but either way it's not going to make any difference. I am positive he knows what SD thinks and wants but as rightly pointed out it's what happens prior to the start of next season that counts not the next few weeks, just my opinion of course.

Have seen melt downs on here over the years regarding players leaving and being injured and it has never been as bad as people predicted.
Any chance you could put a link up to the chairman’s loud and firm comments Kate? I seem to have missed them...

My fear now is that the cracks are beginning to show. Were we in the frame for relegation, I’d be utterly convinced we would be one of the three.

It’s been one hell of a ride, and I’ve enjoyed this last few years immensely, but I fear this may be the beginning of the end. :cry:

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:22 am

A lot of reaction to the contract situations but the sad fact is we got tubbed again by a rampant Man City and having Hart, Bardsley, Hendrick or Lennon on the pitch or the bench wouldn't have changed anything.

Having Wood, Barnes, Brady and JBG fit may have lessened the impact but who knows?
If the lads perform on Thursday all will be forgotten.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:47 am

It's not easy just to forget what Sean had said in the last week and his 3 goalie snipe. However, something needs to get done to patch things up urgently.
Last edited by summitclaret on Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:09 am

I'm presuming that the chairman has been paying the wages of Hendrick, Lennon & bardsley for the last 3 months whilst they have been painting their garden fences.
I don't think it's asking to much of the chairman to expect the above players to play for their employer for a couple more games due to an unprecedented disaster.

Get rid of the old guard and bring in the new and if Dyche doesn't agree let him go as well.
This user liked this post: Blackrod

chekhov
Been Liked: 804 times
Has Liked: 1513 times

Post by chekhov » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:18 am

Nonayforever wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:09 am
I'm presuming that the chairman has been paying the wages of Hendrick, Lennon & bardsley for the last 3 months whilst they have been painting their garden fences.
I don't think it's asking to much of the chairman to expect the above players to play for their employer for a couple more games due to an unprecedented disaster.

Get rid of the old guard and bring in the new and if Dyche doesn't agree let him go as well.
Hard to disagree.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:43 am

I think the Chairman has said all he needs to say with the manner he and the board of directors have acted during this pandemic. I don't read about us furloughing non playing staff, unlike so called bigger clubs than ourselves, and the players haven't to my knowledge been asked to take a pay cut. Without knowing the ins and outs I applaud him now for his stance on the majority of ooc players.
These 2 users liked this post: KateR Woonderbah

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:57 am

bobinho wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:09 am
Any chance you could put a link up to the chairman’s loud and firm comments Kate? I seem to have missed them...

My fear now is that the cracks are beginning to show. Were we in the frame for relegation, I’d be utterly convinced we would be one of the three.

It’s been one hell of a ride, and I’ve enjoyed this last few years immensely, but I fear this may be the beginning of the end. :cry:
I somehow think that the fact the Chairman has said little or nothing on this matter sums up his (plus maybe Rigg and the rest of the directors) stance

Hendrick has refused contract offers for the last twelve months and more, and the others supposedly want extra years that MG appears not to agree with.

Why enter into a public argument with Dyche?

Whether you like it or not he has the final say at this moment - "actions speak louder than words" springs to mind

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:59 am

I kind of understand where the club are coming from, although it’s taking some balls to go up against the best manager we’ve had since Harry Potts.

However we’ve ended up here though, it’s embarrassing. You’ve got the manager digging out the chairman on national TV and we’re the only club in the top two tiers struggling to fill the bench when the bench is most needed.

You might be hard pushed to find a Championship club that fields a weaker bench than us this weekend.
These 2 users liked this post: jedi_master ksrclaret

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:44 am

As far as I know, their contracts still run until 30th June.
No-one can force the club to offer a contract, just like the club cannot force the player to sign or prohibit the player from running down his contract.
If they are refusing to play, they are in breach of contract - simple as.

On the other hand the manager has indicated that the board is at fault for all their dilly-dallying during the last months.
We were already safe in March, that was the point where the Club should have pushed hard to keep who they wanted to keep or seek alternatives. We all know that seeking alternatives or being pro-active is not the strongest point of the club...

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:46 am

You are probably right but bear in mind that the club had four injured players unavailable which under normal circumstances ( 7 subs) would have been a pretty good bench. Plus because of the regs affecting this the club would were not able to make up the spare places with some of the more experienced U23 players.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:47 am

agreenwood wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:59 am
I kind of understand where the club are coming from, although it’s taking some balls to go up against the best manager we’ve had since Harry Potts.

However we’ve ended up here though, it’s embarrassing. You’ve got the manager digging out the chairman on national TV and we’re the only club in the top two tiers struggling to fill the bench when the bench is most needed.

You might be hard pushed to find a Championship club that fields a weaker bench than us this weekend.
I agree with all of this, I would counter the bench argument a little by saying we have a player the manager signed for £15 million sat somewhere in Middlesbrough laughing his balls off and still contracted to us for another two years though. That is a ridiculous situation when we have second year scholars, a third goalkeeper and still not filled the bench and I want answers as to why we aren't insisting upon his inclusion in match day squads in the circumstances.

ClaretBrewer
Been Liked: 6 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by ClaretBrewer » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:41 am

Lets imagine Covid-19 hadn't happened and we'd just lost our first game in 8 against a Manchester City team who we'd never expect to get a good result against anyway, and decided to bring some of the younger players into the match day squad for the last few games of the season as we're safe from relegation and therefore dropped Lennon and Hart from the bench. I think we'd all be pretty happy.

The contract situation isn't ideal, but it happens. Frankly if Hendrick and Bardsley have better offers elsewhere good luck to them, we shouldn't be held hostage.

Last night it felt a little like the club was beginning to implode, but we do need to evolve the squad and as long as the Chairman has a plan to do that without risking the future of the club I'm happy to back him. I think Dyche has made his point now and needs to get on with what he's got. I've absolutely no doubt the squad is not strong enough currently and wasn't strong enough 100 days ago.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1392 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:46 am

EarbyClaret wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:05 am
If i understood SD correctly pre-match there is still a possibility we'll secure both Bardsley and Hendrick - but neither will play/will be selected whilst that is unresolved

Tonight's performance plays into the hands of both players - if they are genuinely interested in staying
Sorry but I disagree, until last night my opinion was with what looks to be the majority on this post (now there's a novelty) with a 1 year year deal for Bardsley and two years for Hendrick on similar money to their current contracts; now I don't want them at any price! They've let us and their team mates down, show them the door.
The bench was painfully sparse last night, with current injuries it was always going to be thin, but no play/selection of Bardsley, Hendrick and presumably Lennon etc. were what devastated it. I can understand their concerns about injury and if they've not been offered a long term contract or for some by the sounds of it, one which they consider acceptable, then I don't blame them at all for refusing to sign a one month deal to see out the season, BUT: it's only 23rd June, they're still contracted until June 30th, so refusing to play before then is not only a breach of their existing contracts, but given how desperately we need numbers just now, a slap in the face to the club and their team mates. I trust that the club can and indeed will, withhold payment for these last few weeks if the players are withdrawing their services early, we can add those few quid to next season's fighting fund, or perhaps pay it out as a bonus to those players who're going to have to carry the additional load these turncoats are dumping on them.

And let's keep the performance/result in perspective: We got whacked 5 - 0 by a £600+ million team, playing away and in our first game for months; what difference would kowtowing to the demands of Hendrick & Bardsley have made? - I doubt any of the other out of contract players would've got further than the bench anyway. We might and I stress might, have reduced that scoreline to 4 - 0, but I doubt we'd have managed to get it to 3 - 0; hardly a good enough reason to spend or at least commit to our spending, several million pounds which we don't have. We got tonked by the better team and even at full strength the result would have been the same; were we poor, or were City just so blisteringly good that they made us look bad?

Onwards and upwards, with a squad of players and hopefully a Manager too who want to remain part of the Claret legend.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:10 am

I have a worry that team spirit will have taken a bashing here and mainly due to SD showing disunity in public with the Chairman.
Our next game is in three days against a Watford team fighting for survival and we will have no home support. I would not hold my breath at the result both on Thursday and Monday. I think the wind has been well and truly blown from our sails due to the combined efforts and Messrs Garlick and Dyche.
This user liked this post: bobinho

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:25 am

I find it hard to equate being injured and paid, paid during lockdown and not playing out your contract, when your teammates need you.

Poor moral fibre.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:45 am

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:16 pm

Maybe the Covid situation will force the club into proactively seeking more investment. I know the party line has always been along the lines of 'We are open to enquiries about investment' but maybe it is time to start dialling around.

We have been hit with a curveball that nobody could have forecast or made provision for no matter how well run the Club is or financially prudent the Board have been. Nobody is to blame for our situation, least of all the Chairman.

I haven't seen evidence suggesting the 'Barnfield Four' have refused to play so whatever is going on is more down to the Manager and if extensions were only until season end the team morale could have been counter productive.

Hart deserves a chance to go elsewhere, it saves us some money whilst allowing BPF to step up. Hendrick isn't staying, that has been clear for over 6 months and if true, anyone with half a brain would take a pay cut if offered 2 years in Milan. Lennon deserves a chance to end his career elsewhere and save us another wage. Bardsley probably would be happy to stay, he has always smiled and waved when I have seen him near Barnfield.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:56 pm

I would like Hendrick to have stayed. He was a useful member of the squad.

Bardsley deserves another season. He has proven to fe s fine footballer.

Lennon is also accomplished. That looks like a place for a younger player, though. Having said that, Brady and Gudmundsson are very fragile.

Leaves us very exposed.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:06 pm

I think ' fragile' is being generous to both of them. A club like ours just cannot afford to be carrying dead weight for this long.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:32 pm

I'd like to think that their breaches of contract negate any bonus payments.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:01 pm

In the real world, breach of contract leaves you absolutely nowhere to go. You are in the doggy doo.

Football is most certainly not part of the real world.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

MG

Post by ewanrob » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:30 pm

Love the fella for what he has achieved with our club, but is he nearing the end of his tenure...always thought the job was thrust upon on him, with Barry's illness.

Question is, has he had enough ?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: MG

Post by tim_noone » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:45 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:30 pm
Love the fella for what he has achieved with our club, but is he nearing the end of his tenure...always thought the job was thrust upon on him, with Barry's illness.

Question is, has he had enough ?
I think sean has....

ewanrob

Post by ewanrob » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:49 pm

Question is, who is the stronger of the 2 and who will come put on top...what's best for Burnley..best manager we have ever had or financial stability

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:12 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:45 pm
I think sean has....
He will be gone soon.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:42 pm

A sad day when SD leaves ,but Garlick’s almost pathological lack of risk/reward ratio investment will ultimately strangle us .Now is the time to take the club another step forward not expect more Dyche miracles to keep us afloat ,and miracles they are tbf.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12358 times

Post by Leisure » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:47 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:42 pm
A sad day when SD leaves ,but Garlick’s almost pathological lack of risk/reward ratio investment will ultimately strangle us .Now is the time to take the club another step forward not expect more Dyche miracles to keep us afloat ,and miracles they are tbf.
And so what step forward do you suggest Mr Garlick should take?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:00 pm

Garlick has sanctioned the highest wage bill in Burnley's history.
We run the club as a self functioning club.

What more do you want him to do?

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:01 pm

Leisure wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:47 pm
And so what step forward do you suggest Mr Garlick should take?
That’s unfair. Moaners moan and doers do
This user liked this post: Leisure

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:01 pm

As SD said after 7 years a manager and a chairman will have had words. Nothing in it boys. It's not even the first time that SD has dropped massive hints he’s not happy at transfer dealings.
MG won’t leave unless he has a crisis with his own business. SD could always be poached but it would be an exceptional set of circumstances.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:03 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:49 pm
Question is, who is the stronger of the 2 and who will come put on top...what's best for Burnley..best manager we have ever had or financial stability
I’d argue that the financial stability has been provided by Dyche. His ability to keep us in the league on a limited budget, alongside his direction for the club to also plan for the longer term.

Aside from the training ground (that I think Dyche suggested following our relegation though I could be wrong), the Academy (credit where it’s due) and disabled facilities (that we had to produce), all effectively paid for by Dyche’s achievements, what makes Garlick a great Chairman?

I’m not saying he’s not done a good job and I commend (somewhat) his tight hold on the purse strings, but I’m not convinced we have a great Chairman on our hands.

On field recruitment is something we continue to struggle with (who is in charge of this?) our foreign scouting has so far yielded nothing, we’ve lost the CE and recruited inexperience from within and now there appears to be a lot of friction with the best manager we’ve had for donkey’s years.

Of course we’re not party to a lot of behind the scenes stuff and I may be being very unfair.
This user liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:03 pm

Sean is just being a realist and accepts where he is

No story here

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:08 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:00 pm

Also
- overseen significant commercial income growth - that is very competitive within our group in the Premier League
- TV income grown due to' the appointments and investments he has overseen
- Matchday income stable because he hasn't raised season ticket prices
- infrastructure outlay of circa £40m

as always there is room for improvement, but I am very happy with his tenure

though it seems some would want a benefactor so we can get used to living beyond our means, then collapse into an awful mess when they get bored or leave
These 2 users liked this post: Hipper Juan Tanamera

ewanrob

Post by ewanrob » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:17 pm

"though it seems some would want a benefactor so we can get used to living beyond our means, then collapse into an awful mess when they get bored or leave"

It's a great point, but the question is how do we move on financially, if we are effectively left with 30 million after wages and other deductions...how on earth do we recruit decent players without outside assistance.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:21 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:42 pm
Why is it a miracle?
Genuine question tbh.

When we are on a bad run, the usual arse wipes appear and batter Dyche, his tactics, subs, everything.

Now we are guaranteed another PL season and you're saying its a miracle.

Garlick isn't strangling the club, he's running it like a business who's incoming finances could potentially change drastically each year.
He knows he doesn't have the personal finances of someone like the Bournemouth owner, or Ashley, so he runs the club accordingly.

Dyche does a good job, it isn't a miracle each year we stay up.

People complain about our transfers each year, but they've seemingly worked since Dyche turned up.
Him and his team put a lot of work into identifying appropriate targets and whilst not every signing works out, they get a lot more right than wrong.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:24 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:17 pm
"though it seems some would want a benefactor so we can get used to living beyond our means, then collapse into an awful mess when they get bored or leave"

It's a great point, but the question is how do we move on financially, if we are effectively left with 30 million after wages and other deductions...how on earth do we recruit decent players without outside assistance.
We recruit decent players though.
Not every signing works out admittedly, but on the whole they're not garbage.
He recruits to suit his system and its slowly evolving when the right players are available.

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 307 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by northeastclaret » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:37 pm

I can only believe that it’s a gradual build up in frustration for Dyche,because he has made a mountain out of a mole hill on the this contract situation at this time.

Hendrick has been refusing to sign another contract for over a year with an inevitability that he wanted to leave.

Hart was not going to be a number two with us and was obviously going to start afresh elsewhere.

Even if Dyche wantedLennon to sign for another two years ,why should he stay as a bench warmer,I would argue that Lennon was more likely not to re sign because of limited opportunities from the manager than what contract the Chairman could offer.

Bardsley was a win win for everyone and would have been a surprise if he had not re signed.

The biggest disappointment is none of the players leaving the club have been willing to sign a short term contract.The only group of players to do this in the Premier League.

But overall he situation did not warrant the managers tantrum with the Chairman based solely on this current contract situation.
These 3 users liked this post: summitclaret Burnley Ace grapidianclaret

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:21 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:21 pm
Why is it a miracle?
Genuine question tbh.

When we are on a bad run, the usual arse wipes appear and batter Dyche, his tactics, subs, everything.

Now we are guaranteed another PL season and you're saying its a miracle.

Garlick isn't strangling the club, he's running it like a business who's incoming finances could potentially change drastically each year.
He knows he doesn't have the personal finances of someone like the Bournemouth owner, or Ashley, so he runs the club accordingly.

Dyche does a good job, it isn't a miracle each year we stay up.

People complain about our transfers each year, but they've seemingly worked since Dyche turned up.
Him and his team put a lot of work into identifying appropriate targets and whilst not every signing works out, they get a lot more right than wrong.
Garlick’s stewardship has been astute ,prudent and successful .However now we’ve achieved a 5th season in the prem ,we could really push on. Dyche’s “ miracle” being that he’s created a “ winning “culture and tactics out of relative premier league poverty .The wage restraints and v limited budgets would have sunk most without trace . I’m not looking at spaffing the sky money on 1 player or taking loans based off next seasons money etc ,I’m simply looking for a leveraged and moderate loosening of the purse strings to allow our manager to actually sIgn 1 or 2 players he really wants . Re: “ strangling the club” that was a future tense which I’d like to be avoided .

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:00 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:00 pm

If Dyche leaves (I hope not) what level of manager would you expect us to attract given MG's prudent strategy measures, this was Sean's first big job and it was a risk, but it worked out, I doubt we will be as fortunate next time.
I do think we need to be looking at outside investment and I don't mean sell the club wholesale but MG is not wealthy enough and it will catch up with us eventually.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:10 am

AlargeClaret wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:21 am
Garlick’s stewardship has been astute ,prudent and successful .However now we’ve achieved a 5th season in the prem ,we could really push on. Dyche’s “ miracle” being that he’s created a “ winning “culture and tactics out of relative premier league poverty .The wage restraints and v limited budgets would have sunk most without trace . I’m not looking at spaffing the sky money on 1 player or taking loans based off next seasons money etc ,I’m simply looking for a leveraged and moderate loosening of the purse strings to allow our manager to actually sIgn 1 or 2 players he really wants . Re: “ strangling the club” that was a future tense which I’d like to be avoided .
Push on where?
Every single club who's won the PL has done so by having massive amounts of money poured into the club.

More clubs have been relegated with unsustainable debt than without.

Garlick won't strangle the club, nor will he leave it in a mess when he decides to move on.
We are a lucky to have a chairman/owner like him.
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure grapidianclaret

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:10 am

snapcrackleandpop wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:00 am
If Dyche leaves (I hope not) what level of manager would you expect us to attract given MG's prudent strategy measures, this was Sean's first big job and it was a risk, but it worked out, I doubt we will be as fortunate next time.
I do think we need to be looking at outside investment and I don't mean sell the club wholesale but MG is not wealthy enough and it will catch up with us eventually.
It's a good question. But the board have appointed the right manager every time bar Laws since Kilby has been involved.
If we get too ambitious it's a long way to fall like some other clubs have but a hell of a journey while your there.

Personally I would like a manager with a few more contacts abroad that plays younger players that we can sell on.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:20 am

snapcrackleandpop wrote:
Whatever happens, we as fans must back the new manager and board 100% and the players must too. No matter what people think of the Laws appointment both fans and players were shameful in that all thing. Most fans won’t I know, most of them are bitter little chavs who’s toys been taken away. But I hope this set of players are a bit more professional and have a set a ********.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1392 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:47 am

AlargeClaret wrote:
And we might possibly have seen that had Corona Virus not intervened? In late June 2020 it now seems likely that the the 2019/20 Premiership Season will be completed, so most/all of the monies related to that will be paid or not need to be refunded, but what of 2020/21? Will it go ahead and be completed? If the answer proves to be 'yes' to one or hopefully both of those questions, will there be spectators allowed into the ground? If 'yes', then in what sort of numbers and with what restrictions? It's feasible, indeed likely, that this pandemic will be the end of an awful lot of full time, professional football clubs, but who will remain? In my opinion the big name/major city clubs will get bailed out one way or another, but for the smaller clubs it'll be down to how well they manage the reduced income that is inevitable. Being in the Premiership will be important as an even larger proportion of income will be coming from TV revenues, having a low current debt and operating costs will also be a factor, whilst reducing the latter even further will be vital. So as of today, thanks to some very astute management by SD of the playing side and MG of the business side Burnley, are as well positioned as any of those 'smaller clubs' to pull through.

We're desperately short of players for this/next month, but we can live without, the points needed for survival are already in the bag. I don't think that there will be a problem in recruiting players ahead of next season as I when it comes to recruitment the more astute players and their agents will no longer being seeing BFC as acceptable if we can't find anyone bigger/better, but as a safer haven than lots of other clubs. This pandemic isn't just effecting Football's finances it's the the whole economy, worldwide; people are still suggesting international/outside investment as the answer, but when this pandemic is financially nailing them, where are they going to cut costs first; their core businesses, or the English football club which they've bought for the kudos, fun and a very slight possibility of seeing some profit at sometime in the future? Without the sugar-daddies pumping money into the game, the low-ball offers that 'little old Burnley' make, won't seem so derisory to selling clubs anymore and as most everyone will be selling to cut their costs, there are going to be plenty of players to choose from.

Of course we want to win matches, but the real 'game' this month and for many more to come, will be played in the Boardroom and the prize won't be winning the FA Cup, qualifying for Europe, or even beating f%$(<g Arsenal, it's going to far bigger; victory will be still having a club to go and watch in the 2021/22 season. So no, I don't think we should've made improved offers to the out of contract players, nor do I think we should yet be looking to buy for next season; the football world knows that we need players and also that we're less indebted than most/all the rest, come August/September I suspect we'll have plenty of Agents/clubs and players knocking on our door trying to get us to buy.
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 jtv grapidianclaret

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:48 am

snapcrackleandpop wrote:
We are a more attractive job than we were when Dyche took over.
Modern infrastructure, PL quality squad, soon to be top catagory youth set up, a good number years in the top flight and a brief flirtation with Europe that the club will have learnt from.

We can attract a decent standard of manager as and when Dyche goes, don't be trying to kid people into thinking otherwise.

No good asking for names, because there are thousands of potential managers out there.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:48 am

Dyched wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:20 am
Whatever happens, we as fans must back the new manager and board 100% and the players must too. No matter what people think of the Laws appointment both fans and players were shameful in that all thing. Most fans won’t I know, most of them are bitter little chavs who’s toys been taken away. But I hope this set of players are a bit more professional and have a set a ********.
Laws had great backing from the fans for a few months.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:50 am

AlargeClaret wrote:
The result of all this astute, prudent and successful stewardship is that (as at last June, the latest accounts) we had £42m in the bank. That is money that can be used for:

- future player signings
- reserve in case of relegation
- ground development
- unexpected pandemics

How much do you think we should reduce that reserve by? We've saved about £10m per year cash by not throwing money about. If we spent an extra £10m on combined player signings and wages, would that make a huge difference? Or would you be looking to go into deficit?

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:51 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:48 am
Laws had great backing from the fans for a few months.
Not as I remember it. He had backing from some of the fans - but not the majority of the ones on here.

He didn't have the backing of the players either. That's where it really went wrong.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:56 am

dsr wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:51 am
Not as I remember it. He had backing from some of the fans - but not the majority of the ones on here.

He didn't have the backing of the players either. That's where it really went wrong.
I'm talking about fans at the game.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:11 am

It doesn't seem long ago we had to sell players to keep afloat.
We've just had the strangest situation, which is still hugely affecting clubs - and no doubt will affect everybody for at least the next few months. And the biggest squabble isn't that we need to sell our best players, but haven't offered contracts to players that many didn't want anyway, even Hendrick had a few who wanted rid.

The transfer window isn't open. We never talk transfers and no doubt there will be club (all bit in lower league, but where we normally shop) who do need to sell.

What exactly is the issue?