The Chairman

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Burnley87
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: The Chairman

Post by Burnley87 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:03 am

My Idea of Panic set in when this happened

Club releases statement about how much they will lose if the season isn’t resumed. There was no reason for that statement at the time and to me it shows there was some panic from the top of the club that has reverberated right down.

This is think is exactly why Dyche is unhappy, because I presume the panic from that statement probably aligned with panic towards other things in the club

They should have remained quiet or positive until they knew the outcome of what was to follow

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:20 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:02 am
Are you sure that Hendrick and Lennon refused to play? Maybe it was just Sean refusing to play players who aren't committed to the club?
Interesting question.

I haven't heard anything from either player to say they wanted to play, though. If it's rumoured that they refused to play while under contract and they actually wanted to play, you'd thing they'd say so for their own reputation.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:23 am

Even if there is a return of some open games and we are allowed say 10.000 on the Turf and then another outbreak occurs in e
East Lancs, is our home tie against Man U postponed or played behind closed doors again until the local lockdown is over? How can a club work out its finances under the present threats

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:37 am

Burnley87 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:03 am

Club releases statement about how much they will lose if the season isn’t resumed. There was no reason for that statement at the time and to me it shows there was some panic from the top of the club that has reverberated right down.

This is think is exactly why Dyche is unhappy, because I presume the panic from that statement probably aligned with panic towards other things in the club

They should have remained quiet or positive until they knew the outcome of what was to follow
Totally agree. It was a very strange statement - no other club made one - and I could not see why we didn't wait until all the facts were known.

SD's comments last night may just be mischief, but they certainly suggest there is either some real discontent with the Chairman and/or Rigg. Nobody wants the club to be put in a position of financial risk, but with a small squad to start with, 4 OOC players, and 9 games to play in 5 weeks, you can understand why SD would get angry about any dalliance.

I've just been reading the BBC report on last nights game. 30 pages and 300 comments of fans from other clubs praising Dyche. Now more then ever, MG needs to publicly back him and loosen those purse strings a little to add those one or two quality players we need to push on.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Re: Message to Mr Garlick

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:42 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:01 am
As has been said, injuries are not the chairman's fault.
Planning for them, to ensure we have a squad for the season is his responsibility, vased on the advice of his manager.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:50 am

IanMcL wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:42 am
Planning for them, to ensure we have a squad for the season is his responsibility, vased on the advice of his manager.
Under none Covid 19 conditions, the season would have finished long ago and the injuries may not have been an issue, and players being asked to extend contracts would not have happened and they would have been available. We would also have been able to recall some loan players.

Do you think the Chairman should have planned for the pandemic?

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:55 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:50 am
Under none Covid 19 conditions, the season would have finished long ago and the injuries may not have been an issue, and players being asked to extend contracts would not have happened and they would have been available. We would also have been able to recall some loan players.

Do you think the Chairman should have planned for the pandemic?
Yes! It has been known for some long time abd yet nothing was done, until it was too late (Hendrick excepted).

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:57 am

IanMcL wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:55 am
Yes! It has been known for some long time abd yet nothing was done, until it was too late (Hendrick excepted).
Really, you think the Chairman should have known the pandemic was coming? Wow, I didn't know he was that clever.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:04 pm

Silly comment. My answer relates to the time acailable. We were lockeddown for 3 months. It was soon apparent that every club wanted the league to finish and that contracts would beed to ve exrended.

There is also the very public statement, feom tge manager, that he had montgs ago, given the chairman his retention list and the chairman did not act. Then along came the virus.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:06 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:04 pm
Silly comment. My answer relates to the time acailable. We were lockeddown for 3 months. It was soon apparent that every club wanted the league to finish and that contracts would beed to ve exrended.

There is also the very public statement, feom tge manager, that he had montgs ago, given the chairman his retention list and the chairman did not act. Then along came the virus.
I think someones been swapping keys on your keyboard mate :lol:

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:08 pm

Yes! My finger wide of the mark and auto correct has disappeared!

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:10 pm

IanMcL wrote:

Yes, and without the virus, we would have had Hendrick and Lennon (Regardless of contract) available to finish the season and able to recall loan players.

Tell me who you would have re signed apart from Hendrick? The rest were deadwood and I'd have got shut of Brady as well if it was me. As for Hendrick, it looks like his replacement is already here in Brownhill. Excellent last night.

I'm sure that this is a storm in a teacup that the media have chosen to blow up out of proportion. It may already have been sorted out and I still believe Sean will be here next season.

As it is, we're not doing too bad, are we?
Last edited by Gordaleman on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:12 pm

IanMcL wrote:
And who could possible have been on that retained list apart from Bardsley (who may have been stalling on an extension as he wanted a longer term perhaps) and Hendrick (who as far back as November/December there were reports that he had been offered a contract but refused to sign it)? Lennon, Hart, Legzdins? Lennon is the only one who could possibly be utilised in this mini-league. The others are goalies and they would only have taken the place of the two goalies currently on the bench.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3177 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:36 pm

Burnley87 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:03 am

Hi Burnley87, I think I recall correctly that Mike Garlick made his statement about the impact of covid-19 on club finances in early/mid-April. It was only a few days after the 2018-2019 financial statements had been published. At the time it wasn't certain that the PL would re-start. In fact more "noise" was coming from the teams that felt threatened by relegation, others saying L'pool should or shouldn't be awarded the championship without another ball being kicked. No deal had been done on tv money, either. It was important that MG spoke out about the impact on Burnley. It allowed other clubs to think about the impact on them also. It was, possibly, among the reasons why the PL was able to agree on the re-start. It may even have assisted the gov't in supporting the re-start.

Re-starting the season, even in the current situation, has mitigated the financial impact on Burnley - and all other clubs. Maintaining Burnley FC solvent and in the Premier League is also important for Burnley and the neighbouring areas. MG was right to speak out for these reasons, also.

These are the reasons for the statement. Sean Dyche is smart. He will have already worked it all out. We all saw the way our "magnificent eleven" played football last night. Why is this? Has Sean forgotten about "playing to the players strengths?" Or, has he realised that a game plan of passing the ball along the ground is a winning way for Burnley and something the team can do very well?

I look forward to the next time Sean "falls out with the board".... in another 7+ years time.

UTC
This user liked this post: dsr

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:37 pm

We have recently given some of the U23 players new contracts ie Glennon , who I have heard great reports on, plus several others. Can these be in the squad and on the bench-they have I believe been keeping fit

Burnley87

Post by Burnley87 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:31 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:36 pm
Hi Burnley87, I think I recall correctly that Mike Garlick made his statement about the impact of covid-19 on club finances in early/mid-April. It was only a few days after the 2018-2019 financial statements had been published. At the time it wasn't certain that the PL would re-start. In fact more "noise" was coming from the teams that felt threatened by relegation, others saying L'pool should or shouldn't be awarded the championship without another ball being kicked. No deal had been done on tv money, either. It was important that MG spoke out about the impact on Burnley. It allowed other clubs to think about the impact on them also. It was, possibly, among the reasons why the PL was able to agree on the re-start. It may even have assisted the gov't in supporting the re-start.

Re-starting the season, even in the current situation, has mitigated the financial impact on Burnley - and all other clubs. Maintaining Burnley FC solvent and in the Premier League is also important for Burnley and the neighbouring areas. MG was right to speak out for these reasons, also.

These are the reasons for the statement. Sean Dyche is smart. He will have already worked it all out. We all saw the way our "magnificent eleven" played football last night. Why is this? Has Sean forgotten about "playing to the players strengths?" Or, has he realised that a game plan of passing the ball along the ground is a winning way for Burnley and something the team can do very well?

I look forward to the next time Sean "falls out with the board".... in another 7+ years time.

UTC
And following a club statement, Garlick told Sky Sports: “The fact of the matter is if we don’t finish this season and there isn’t a clear start date for next season, we as a club will run out of money by August, that’s a fact. I can’t speak for other clubs

That who situation was done in panic

For one why would you let other clubs know we are in a desperate situation when if we needed to sell players to cover the loss, two why so quick to react. Three you are running one of the biggest companies in the UK then the comments that they made are good for moral to any of the staff from manager to ticket office.

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:51 pm

Burnley87 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:31 pm
And following a club statement, Garlick told Sky Sports: “The fact of the matter is if we don’t finish this season and there isn’t a clear start date for next season, we as a club will run out of money by August, that’s a fact. I can’t speak for other clubs

For one why would you let other clubs know we are in a desperate situation when if we needed to sell players to cover the loss, two why so quick to react. Three you are running one of the biggest companies in the UK then the comments that they made are good for moral to any of the staff from manager to ticket office.
But if you were panicking about the idea that the club only had £50m in the bank and that £50m would be spent, all else being equal, after 6 months without income - then wouldn't you stop panicking when that didn't happen?

Burnley87

Post by Burnley87 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:31 pm

Depending how the chairman’s approaches the situation regards the staff. My guess is the fact of how people have been treated is the main reason Sean is annoyed not the budget as such at this stage. I believe he thought the club should have re assured players more when all this was happening. I honestly don’t believe this reaction isn’t anything other than the fact staff haven’t been treated right out of all this... he seems that sort of person

Burnley87

Post by Burnley87 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:33 pm

I see it like this the club were quick to unsettle staff before getting facts together which is wrong. Wether it’s the ticket office or the manager it’s not fair to put strain on people without correct facts or finding accurate answers. That statement made me feel uneasy at the time as it was a case of anyone who works there you will be out of a job should this not get sorted

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:42 pm

Andy J wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:29 pm
Key players with new contracts this year, wage bill at top end of allowable v turnover and squad in need of additions between seasons. Dyche has been backed up to now and can see the sense in waiting for the market to evolve in current climate. Cannot understand the need for public spat over bit part players that needed to go. That said am glad solution was found re Bardsley.
Dyche clearly could see the point of it going public and for me he is the only one that matters in all this, no idea what the fallout will be but we sure as **** can't go into next season with the squad size it currently is - so for that alone Dyche needs to be able to recruit at the level and standard required (we don't want to be going down the Sordell type road again)

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3177 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:57 pm

Burnley87 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:31 pm

A comment on financial situation immediately following publication of your financial accounts can never be described as "done in panic." It's what happens, you publish your (financial) results and expect to be questioned on them.

1) We can make a good guess at Burnley's financial position, we don't need to be another Premier League football club to do that. Some of the bits we are missing are the Premier League finances. The other Premier League have that advantage over us;
2) "quick to react" - as I've said, be prepared to answer questions when you've published your financial statements, plus be prepared to deal with the upcoming situation before it becomes too late to respond;
3) Burnley FC is not "one of the biggest companies in the UK." None of the Premier League football clubs get anywhere near being amongst the biggest companies in the UK. However, I agree that the way the Chairman approaches his (or her) company is important for the staff "moral." "Telling it as it is" is an important part of this.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

claretbob
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by claretbob » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:15 pm

If Mike Garlick wanted to he could quite easily sell his shares, instantly double his own personal fortune and wash his hands of us. It’s quite clear he is a man of total integrity who sees himself as a custodian of the club and for that we should be grateful.Ideally he satisfies himself that outside investors are genuine, remains in place and SD gets the extra funds he deserves. He’s never been one for the limelight so must be hating all this media attention.
Let’s hope they can patch things up. That team spirit last night was frightening in its intensity, we can’t let that be thrown away.
These 3 users liked this post: Aclaret Andy J boatshed bill

s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

SD timing might be wrong in Covid year

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:35 pm

Looking at Wigan yesterday, Klopps interview about little money to spend this summer and Pep saying they might not even replace Sane never mind heavily invest on others due to covid SD timing to "call out the board" might just be wrong timing. Nobody knows when grounds are going to be full again and maybe slightly less full when the total job losses are realised.
No doubt SD deserves a bigger war chest nobody can deny him that but this is unprecedented times for finance and financial worries. The board are walking a tight rope right now - they have no idea when all normal revenues will return to the club and if we have a second covid spike in winter goodness knows the impact.
If ever we need to adopt a "burnley cautious approach" similar to other spending windows it has to be this summer, surely nobody can criticise that in these precarious times.
Hopefully SD will stick with us and ride this out but SD staying v if it goes belly up we become potentially another Wigan then unfortunately the club has to come first.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:07 am

Hasn’t taken long for “become another Wigan” to get an airing.

Mike Garlick has done a good job but some of comments on here would essentially have you believe he’s never done a thing wrong.

His £50m hole statement was unnecessary at the time but so very predictable. You just knew we’d be the first club pleading poverty.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3077 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:35 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:07 am
Hasn’t taken long for “become another Wigan” to get an airing.

Mike Garlick has done a good job but some of comments on here would essentially have you believe he’s never done a thing wrong.

His £50m hole statement was unnecessary at the time but so very predictable. You just knew we’d be the first club pleading poverty.
Thats rubbish.
As already pointed out, he's just giving an honest assessment of the situation, it's others who are panicking, not Garlick. SD is unhappy, naturally, as are most of the fans, but that doesn't make it wrong to be honest. It would be far worse if he said nothing, then 6 months down the road he tells everyone there's a big hole in the accounts. Then the same panickers would be arguing why didn't he say something.
Garlick can't win whatever he does in some peoples eyes. Considering what he and Barry Kilby have done and achieved with the club, I find that amazing.
I don't think there'll be anything to worry about, I think stadiums will be open long before Christmas, eternal optimist that I am, but thats dependent on the idiots sticking by government guidelines still. Come January it will be back to normal, but this window it has to be more sensible to align SD to the facts, and look for players within budget, then leaving him to daydream about players he has no realistic chance of getting.
This user liked this post: Gordaleman

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:55 am

The most relevant point about the Wigan situation is that it is a warning against selling your club to foreign investors about whom little or nothing is known.

I see the Wigan administration is being linked to a big bet in the Philippines on Wigan being relegated.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:59 am

"I think stadiums will be open long before Christmas, eternal optimist that I am, but thats dependent on the idiots sticking by government guidelines still".
Don't think the idiots will, if by definition an idiot is someone who defies Government guidelines, meaning top class idiots like Stanley Johnson, Dominic Cummings, Michelle O"Neill, Andre Gray and quite a few others are leading the charge for the less than top class idiots to follow. As the young come to realise their relative immunity from serious harm I fear they will be the main drivers keeping this infection going as they are impetuous, immortal and need to live so expecting them to stick by the rules will be very hard and mean we go on with pockets of infection, local lock downs and no live crowds at games in my opinion until we have a vaccine or herd immunity. I hope Colburn you are right and I am wrong.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:38 am

mdd2 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:59 am
"I think stadiums will be open long before Christmas, eternal optimist that I am, but thats dependent on the idiots sticking by government guidelines still".
Don't think the idiots will, if by definition an idiot is someone who defies Government guidelines, meaning top class idiots like Stanley Johnson, Dominic Cummings, Michelle O"Neill, Andre Gray and quite a few others are leading the charge for the less than top class idiots to follow. As the young come to realise their relative immunity from serious harm I fear they will be the main drivers keeping this infection going as they are impetuous, immortal and need to live so expecting them to stick by the rules will be very hard and mean we go on with pockets of infection, local lock downs and no live crowds at games in my opinion until we have a vaccine or herd immunity. I hope Colburn you are right and I am wrong.
you mean like these - different country but you can definitely see people doing something similar here

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1278653571521826816

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:47 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:38 am
you mean like these - different country but you can definitely see people doing something similar here

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1278653571521826816
That is unbelievable. Then again, it is America.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:49 am

I think it puts pay to the expression "there's no fool like an old fool" Chester
But when I cast my mind back as a young man death was never a consideration in anything I did and after 3 months+ of being restricted I am afraid it is to be expected that the young will cock a snoop to the latest advice as they, in the main, will be fine. Biologically and indeed for the economy, seeing off the unproductive and reducing the average age of the nation would economically be OK, but forgive me if I dissent from this view.
We shall see what transpires but I doubt we will be on the Turf soon and when we return we will likely be masked up which will make the "Longside" singing even more undecipherable. :lol: :lol:

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:02 pm

I expect fans at games in some form when the new season kicks off - I expect them at the FA cup final too - I don't think it is right but I expect it - there is so much going on behind the scenes to make it happen.
Last edited by Chester Perry on Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:06 pm

well you could half fill or 30% fill Wembley stadium I suppose but as shouting increases the "safe distance" not sure how far apart folk will have to be
BL could be 60% full I suppose. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: