Players who haven't been offered things have decided not to finish their contracts.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KellyClaret
Been Liked: 29 times

Players who haven't been offered things have decided not to finish their contracts.

Post by KellyClaret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:48 am

Quote from Dyche that seems to be getting overlooked.

Not a good look for the players refusing to play whilst still under contract.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Re: Players who haven't been offered things have decided not to finish their contracts.

Post by agreenwood » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:51 am

Are they refusing to play or just not being selected?

Even if it’s the former, it’s not different to any other job. How much work do you get out of the employee who’s contract you aren’t renewing in their last week? What meaningful options do you have if they decide they can’t be arsed?

pureclaret
Been Liked: 433 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Re: Players who haven't been offered things have decided not to finish their contracts.

Post by pureclaret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:09 am

how much work do you get from staff who are leaving? well they should have pride in there work/job.
for me I feel that over the years people dont in a lot of cases have this pride / need to do a job well. 9 NHS not included as they seem to work from first to last min.) It seems now that when leaving in the last week employers cant give you a bad reference for poor production, so quite often when you hand in your notice or say you are leaving you get put on garden leave (given most of our players have been on that for 3 months) For me that means no trust both ways, shame but thats life.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:11 am

So they are staying according to the title?
This user liked this post: pureclaret

KellyClaret

Post by KellyClaret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:18 am

I read it as the players have decided not to see their contracts through to 31st June and have either left or made themselves unavailable for selection

KellyClaret

Post by KellyClaret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:20 am

Siddo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:11 am
So they are staying according to the title?
I have no idea how you have come to that conclusion from the title

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:21 am

agreenwood wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:51 am

Even if it’s the former, it’s not different to any other job. How much work do you get out of the employee who’s contract you aren’t renewing in their last week? What meaningful options do you have if they decide they can’t be arsed?
Depends if you are professional and take pride in your work and your work ethic.

I worked all of my notice period (of 3 months) right up until the very last minute for my previous employer. Sometimes I wish I hadn’t bothered :lol: but my reputation amongst my colleagues and peers means a lot to me.

Footballers shouldn’t be any different, one would have thought they’d want a good send off and to maybe play with a bit more freedom.

Instead we’re in a situation where we can’t even name a full bench...!
These 2 users liked this post: Blackrod Colburn_Claret

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:23 am

ClaretEngineer wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:21 am
Depends if you are professional and take pride in your work and your work ethic.

I worked all of my notice period (of 3 months) right up until the very last minute for my previous employer. Sometimes I wish I hadn’t bothered :lol: but my reputation amongst my colleagues and peers means a lot to me.

Footballers shouldn’t be any different, one would have thought they’d want a good send off and to maybe play with a bit more freedom.

Instead we’re in a situation where we can’t even name a full bench...!
Guess it depends on the profession and the likelihood of injury. We’ve had 4 short-medium injuries since training resumed a few weeks ago. I can understand a footballer not wanting to jeopardise their future employment prospects for the sake of a week or two.

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:31 am

agreenwood wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:23 am
Guess it depends on the profession and the likelihood of injury. We’ve had 4 short-medium injuries since training resumed a few weeks ago. I can understand a footballer not wanting to jeopardise their future employment prospects for the sake of a week or two.
I don’t begrudge anyone wishing to better themselves by moving jobs (even footballers, an emotive subject for some?!).

I guarantee that if we were in the latter stages of the Europa or CL none of these OOC players would be angling for a move.

On the face it these situations are money motivated.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:46 am

Reflects poorly on the footballers imo and proves my about the money for them. They’ve been well looked after and when injured. Prefer we get players on lesser money who are committed and with a point to prove.

lancastrian
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by lancastrian » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:51 am

agreenwood wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:51 am

I have no problems with someone wanting to leave their place of employment provided they do so properly. You never know they may want to return some day.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:11 am

Is it going to be the norm from now on that when players' contracts are finishing, they refuse to play the last few games of the season? It'll be a nightmare for clubs in relegation difficulty if they find themselves with a few players who won't play.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:14 am

lancastrian wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:51 am
I have no problems with someone wanting to leave their place of employment provided they do so properly. You never know they may want to return some day.
I read it to mean that without a longer term commitment, players are not going to commit to the short-term and possible injuries this could risk. Fair enough. I'd still make myself available whilst under contract, even if only on the bench and to be used on a strictly as needed basis.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:55 am

Hope that they're not being paid for the days they've downed tools!

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:01 am

Coming back from this long lockdown and having 3 games to play before the end of June it makes sense to play the players whose contracts still have time to run rather than play those who will be out of contract and have to get other players up to speed to replace them.

We have known that Hendrick was going for quite some time, however, I have a feeling that SD is disappointed that Bardsley has not been offered another year because he is a good professional and would still do a job next season. This season has to be a very strange one for the players, just as it has been for the fans, however, it is what it is after a 3 month lay off.

ClaretAndBlue94
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by ClaretAndBlue94 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:06 am

If I am Aaron Lennon hoping for a final 3 year deal somewhere, I am certainly not playing and risking scuppering it all now.

lancastrian
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by lancastrian » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:15 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:14 am
I read it to mean that without a longer term commitment, players are not going to commit to the short-term and possible injuries this could risk. Fair enough. I'd still make myself available whilst under contract, even if only on the bench and to be used on a strictly as needed basis.
Sorry if I have misled you. What I meant by "properly" players or anyone else for that matter should commit themselves to their employer until their last day of their contract. After all they are still being paid.

claret_in_exile
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Post by claret_in_exile » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:24 pm

It's because they don't want to blow their knee out and be unpaid for a year. I would do the same, honestly. If you ran the risk of something happening during your notice which would leave you unemployed for a year, I wouldn't serve my notice either.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:30 pm

KellyClaret wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:18 am
I read it as the players have decided not to see their contracts through to 31st June and have either left or made themselves unavailable for selection
Is this an extra leap year day because of the virus?

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 307 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by northeastclaret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:13 pm

Dyche mentioned earlier that he was hoping that the players would show some goodwill. I think it’s disgusting that none of them have so far.

Every season virtually all players play to the last match when their contracts expire.

They have been paid their full money over the last 3 months for doing nothing and when the club needs them it’s f@ck you.

One example is say Joe Hart , what’s his problem on sitting on the bench at City, when he is getting paid and would only be needed in an emergency?