Hendrick set to leave

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Re: Hendrick set to leave

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:13 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:20 am
Whenever the best opportunity for us was, the club will know.

Rumours were Leicester bid 15m at one point, but I really think they were just that.

If someone lost a 10m asset for free in any other job than premier league football, you would be out of the door.

Probably why the chairman doesn't trust him anymore with these things.
Unfortunately what you fail to understand is that the £10m asset has not just been lost has it? Do you think Dyche has misplaced Hendrick?

No, he’s had 4 years of PL football out of him so I’m sure you can work out how much money that has been worth to the club. That’s how football works.

And that’s before we even get to the fact sorting contracts and transfers is the chairman’s job, so if anyone has lost the asset it is him.

Other than all that, top post.

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:14 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:48 am
There's nothing to stop us negotiating with Jeff after today's deadline passes. It'll just mean that he can't play in any of the remaining matches.

If we aren't too far apart surely it would make sense to carry on negotiations.
If Hendrick doesn't sign a month extension before today's deadline, then it means he has no intention of playing for Burnley next season at all. If Burnley were close to paying what he wanted he would sign the 1-monther just to keep things ticking over.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:15 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:55 am
I really don’t get comments like “he’s not the Messi some on here make him out to be”.
Firstly literally nobody has ever said that and secondly and more importantly losing Jeff will make our team weaker.
Hendrick has been key for SD in the last couple of seasons especially - I can’t think of another player who has been as injury free and versatile for the team. At a time when our wingers were either out of form or injured he stepped into the right side and our fortunes / form changed when we were in real trouble. He’s played centre mid and also in the number 10 role he dislikes himself. And as said of all the midfielders and strikers he has kept himself fitter than any of them.

But the real problem with losing Jeff is the cost of replacing him for someone as good as him. Keeping him could have cost us say £2m / £2.5m a year - probably affordable given some of the other squad we are losing in terms of wages and of course we were already paying Jeff so likely an additional cost of only £1m to £1.5m a year.
Replacing him is a £10m to £15m transfer fee and then wages on top and whether that is affordable is very much in question at the moment.
This is the same reason why we decided to resign a much less reliable player in Brady - it’s to avoid the cost of replacing.
Brownhill is his replacement, I doubt we’re going to be spending 10-15m but I get what your saying , big pressure on young shoulders which isn’t ideal

HB Claret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:16 pm

Let’s not kid ourselves - the only true loyalty in football comes from the supporters - for the majority of players it is a job and they will always do what is best for themselves. This season has been made more difficult with the Covid issue but plenty of people on here implied that Hendrick had already committed to leaving so it is unlikely that anything could be done to change his mind.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:16 pm

Has anyone stopped to think of how Steve1936 feels?

My thoughts are very much with him, at what's understandably a very difficult time ;-)

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:27 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:

Rumours were Leicester bid 15m at one point, but I really think they were just that.

If someone lost a 10m asset for free in any other job than premier league football, you would be out of the door.

Numerous other managers lose far more costly players at the end of their contracts.

Does this mean their chairmen don't trust them either?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:48 pm

Players leaving for free at the end of their contract is a reality of the modern game, hence why clubs try and tie them down when they're entering their final year or two, but for a club like ours that's not easy, and if Jeff was expecting an increase on wages,in the current climate, then it's right of the club to let him walk away, he's a steady reliable squad member, but he's not indispensable, and given that we've signed Brownhill for a not inadequate fee, and he's much younger then it's a no-brainer.

People are talking like Brownhill's a raw rookie, he's amassed over 200 league appearances, with almost 150 of those at Championship level so he's hardly a new kid on the block in the English game, yes of course stepping up to the PL is a whole different ball game, but i'm sure his signing was with one eye on Hendrick leaving, and for once the club has been proactive in the market, and acted quickly to plug a potential gap in our squad.

It'll be interesting where Hart, Hendrick & Lennon end up, i'll be surprised if any get snapped up by fellow PL clubs, Championship maybe but they might have to take a wage drop in that instance.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:49 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:15 pm
Brownhill is his replacement, I doubt we’re going to be spending 10-15m but I get what your saying , big pressure on young shoulders which isn’t ideal
Was Brownhill not Defour & Drinkwater's replacement?

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:54 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:49 pm
Was Brownhill not Defour & Drinkwater's replacement?
Not sure, he can play on the right of midfield, or in the centre, so that's where the comparisons to Hendrick came from, i do agree we need to sign at least 1 cm this summer, and don't forget Westwood's only extended for 12 months, so we could face an even bigger issue next year, if we don't act quickly.

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 328 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Woonderbah » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:09 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:27 pm
Numerous other managers lose far more costly players at the end of their contracts.

And I should imagine the maths is done over the life of the contract to ensure the club get value for their money.
As a club, we've benefited much more signing free agents and selling them for a fee.
It would be a much worse situation if we hadn't signed Brownhill but departures free up wages for an addition or two.
I'd like to see some youth padding out the squad too.

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 328 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Woonderbah » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:14 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:14 pm
If Hendrick doesn't sign a month extension before today's deadline, then it means he has no intention of playing for Burnley next season at all. If Burnley were close to paying what he wanted he would sign the 1-monther just to keep things ticking over.
Agree.
But he should've signed yesterday if he was going to extend for the month.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:

You wouldn’t be out of the door having brought in half a billion as opposed to having lost 10m.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:45 pm

A lot of posters are missing the fact that it’s the package and not his salary. Would you rather spend £15m on Joe Bloggs at £25k/week for 3 years Or give Jeff a £5m signing on fee and £60/week for the same 3 years?
I’d take Jeff every time.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6171 times

Post by KateR » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:46 pm

Have no idea what he is going to do or play and really don't care that much but am sure we will watch with interest if it works out for him, which I hope it does. Clearly the clubs valuation and his/agents valuation are not the same, it is not just giving him what he wants and that's it, it is the clubs structure and I feel that the board have been trustworthy in how they have run the club and since I do not believe this is out of spite, therefore I support the stance. Some people feel they are worth a lot more and look to make a change, he has not been a stand out star but in the end every player is a mercenary and out to get the best deal for themselves and family but it's always a two way street, so I wish him luck on the next stage of his career.

Yes we need new faces as we do every year, do we have a great recruitment team, I don't think so but results have shown our ability to survive and even do better than most with a Euro trip, so will wait and see how all this pans out and what the team looks like when we line up for the first game of next season.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:48 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:45 pm
A lot of posters are missing the fact that it’s the package and not his salary. Would you rather spend £15m on Joe Bloggs at £25k/week for 3 years Or give Jeff a £5m signing on fee and £60/week for the same 3 years?
Surely that would depend on who Joe Bloggs was?

If it was the failed Jeans manufacturer, I’m with you, if it’s a decent player that can go straight into the first team, it becomes a more difficult question.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Your forgetting a probable fee for the new player towards the end of his contract, if young enough.
Last edited by summitclaret on Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:48 pm

The problem with Joe Bloggs is that he would be spending too much time on the internet

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:51 pm

It’s a shame he hasn’t signed an extension, always thought he was a good player and did his best wherever he was asked to play. We will miss his versatility.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:57 pm

But if you start giving players renewing their contracts a £5m signing on fee, then you find that you run out of money just the same. Hendrick isn't a one-off special player that you push the boat out for; if £5m is the going rate for Hendrick, then it is the going rate for the whole team.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:02 pm

It's not that simple, if we give into Jeff's demands, and offer him an improved contract, don't you think all the players and their agents will be banging on Sean's and the chairman's door wanting the same, Jeff's been a decent signing for us, and over the course of his contract has proved decent value for money, but he's not irreplaceable, and on balance i'd rather we invested in youth, and other areas of the squad, ahead of offering Jeff an extortionate salary package.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:29 pm

To all the above replies.
My point is that the package of signing on fee + salary can work out cheaper than transfer fee + salary and we keep a player that SD obviously wants to keep as he fits the team ethos. A new signing, however highly regarded might not work out. We’ve had enough of them over the years to appreciate the difference.
In future years every case is individual some will be worth the package and some won’t.
Whichever way the average age needs reducing somewhat.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:34 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:10 pm
Even if you could replace that asset with someone from elsewhere that had done exactly the same. Do you think nobody has ever moved on out of contract before ? Costing a lot more than Hendrick did ?

Weird thought process
I can't think of anyone for our club.

Ian Moore wasted us a million.

Ings run down his contract but we got compensation.

It does happen at other clubs but I'm not sure this club can go down that route.

Even Arsenal won't allow players into their last year now.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:36 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:58 am
We don’t have a European scout as such and I’m not sure where you get the notion that we have neither contacts nor network in Europe. And has Dyche said he favours British players?
Lee Jones - Full Time European Scout at Burnley FC

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/lee-jones-99 ... 557d6cfb1e

He is one of Riggs new signings along with

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/george-foste ... s-35b773b8
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anri-kaca-b50233129
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/harry-barnard-b6499975
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/paulo-araujo-a4b7105

Interestingly, if the entries are accurate, we seem to have poached two of those lads from Middlesborough

A recent departure was

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/john-whitty- ... full-click

A quick 10 minute search on linkedin will yield quite a bit of information about the comings and goings of our backroom staff.

I will be the first to admit that most of the names are a complete mystery to me, but a large chunk of our organisational framework could be pieced together quite easily ( I haven't felt inclined to do it myself ). However, the information on a site like linkedin isn't always accurate or current, so a pinch of salt has to be taken with their data.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:37 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:27 pm

A lot of clubs employ coaches and transfer teams for this very reason.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4180 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:42 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:34 pm
I can't think of anyone for our club.

Ian Moore wasted us a million.

Ings run down his contract but we got compensation.

It does happen at other clubs but I'm not sure this club can go down that route.

Even Arsenal won't allow players into their last year now.
Following losing Ramsey on a free last year you mean ? Aubameyang has 12 months left on his contract.

It happens in football, how exactly do you make someone sign a contract if their intention is to run the deal down

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5267 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:42 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:36 pm

Interestingly, if the entries are accurate, we seem to have poached two of those lads from Middlesborough

A recent departure was

A quick 10 minute search on linkedin will yield quite a bit of information about the comings and goings of our backroom staff.

I will be the first to admit that most of the names are a complete mystery to me, but a large chunk of our organisational framework could be pieced together quite easily ( I haven't felt inclined to do it myself ). However, the information on a site like linkedin isn't always accurate or current, so a pinch of salt has to be taken with their data.
Thanks for that info. The European scout was Ian Butterworth, ex Norwich, but he now lists himself as international and UK recruitment.

It won't let me in on any of those links though - keeps wanting security checks.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:04 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:36 pm

A recent departure was

The size of our team is quite impressive really given our size - saw a video interview recently (can't find it now) where are Academy has around 100 staff now with two thirds being full time - that is some growth

There are some profiles of club staff here too

https://trainingground.guru/staff-profi ... f-profiles

It also seems that we will be getting confirmation on Cat One in the next few weeks

https://trainingground.guru/articles/si ... await-fate

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:05 pm

I like Hendrick and I really appreciated the contribution he has made on the pitch for us. If he is looking to move then we can't really do a lot about it at this stage, other than put an attractive offer on the table.

On the financial front, what really anniys me is that we are waving goodbye to a £10m+ asset. Nobody can justify that as a good piece of business.

If we had brought in a new permanent midfielder early last Summer ( instead of chasing after a bunch of unrealistic targets like Malinovsky, Phillips and Gallagher ) we might have been able to sell him to mitigate the loss. Our failure to perform in that window is having a knock on effect for us.

In the last window we pretty much set out or stall to do nothing. Had the Wells / Brownhill deal not fallen into our lucky laps we would be up **** creek without a paddle.

This whole contract business is a joke. Had Corona not hit we would have still lost all of these players, putting us in line for a relatively big squad change over the Summer. When the lockdow hit we should have forseen this happening and changed our strategy to cope with it. The change to substitutions should have moved us into over drive.

It is easy to see that the new changes benefit the clubs with well stocked benches. A lot of the strategies seem to revolve around " rope a dope ". Tire the other team out and hit them with quick players later on. Our lack of options on the bench makes us cannon fodder for tractics like that. Even without the changes asking our standing 11 to play three matches in a week will quickly wear them down and impact on their performance levels. It will also increase the chance of injury for our players.

We are safe, what does it matter. We probably are, but every place we drop is about £2m lost and every place we gain is an extra £2m in our bank account. Not to mention the financial boost of another short sojourn into Europe.

Not having enough players to adequately handle the matches ahead of us and contest them to the best of our ability will probably cost us far more than paying out wages for a year ( and we get a player for a year on top of protecting our merit payments ).

In terms of strategic planning this whole situation is the product of a very nieve and one dimensiional outlook. It has all the makings of a fiscal **** up. Mike Rigg is responsible for ensuring that we have a medium to long term strategy that protects the club and promotes synergy between the business plan and the football plan. If he is the one sticking his oar in and advising Garlick ( it isn't Dyche because he seems to be out of the loop ) then he is doing a fantastic job on the synergy front, because our business plan and our football plan look equally inept.

Our business plan should not be picking our playing squad and for the next eight matches it looks like it will be.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:11 pm

Hendrick was offered a deal ages ago and still hasn’t signed, he doesn’t want to be here, that isn’t the boards fault. I like Hendrick but I’m not upset he’s leaving, Brownhill looks like an upgrade to me.

aggi
Been Liked: 2113 times

Post by aggi » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:42 pm
Thanks for that info. The European scout was Ian Butterworth, ex Norwich, but he now lists himself as international and UK recruitment.

It won't let me in on any of those links though - keeps wanting security checks.
You'll need a linkedin account to see them. In the past I've just set one up with the bare minimum of bogus information.

RBFC
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by RBFC » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:18 pm

The Irish Independent reporting Jeff has turned down the chance to stay at Burnley and is considering his next move

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 08463.html

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:20 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:12 pm
You'll need a linkedin account to see them. In the past I've just set one up with the bare minimum of bogus information.
is that new aggi? I used to be able to see the info.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:48 am
There's nothing to stop us negotiating with Jeff after today's deadline passes. It'll just mean that he can't play in any of the remaining matches.

If we aren't too far apart surely it would make sense to carry on negotiations.
If he has refused to play the remainder of the season, I don’t want him back. He’s made his bed, he can lie in it. How many players have left us (while under Dyche) and gone onto better things? Trippier the only one?

Enjoy the Championship or SPL Jeff

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:21 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:42 pm

If its the security check that I encountered you just need to click on it and rotate the elephant thingy a bit.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:23 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:21 pm
If its the security check that I encountered you just need to click on it and rotate the elephant thingy a bit.
I did, and then it asked me to do it again, and again, and again so many times that the elephant had just about had enough.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Woonderbah wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:12 am
If Hendrick or Bardsley were staying they would've signed yesterday to be included in last night's squad.
The fact they let SD put out a threadbare squad and being well aware that's what would happen says it all to me.
Personally, I don't want either of them anywhere near my club.
Dyche chose to omit them from last night's matchday squad for whatever reason. But they are all 4 contractually able to be selected until 2359 on June 30th. Signing an extension or not they could have played.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:37 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:23 pm
I did, and then it asked me to do it again, and again, and again so many times that the elephant had just about had enough.
I just checked, same for me, the security check just loops - but this worked

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... ulo+Araujo

Click on the above link and pick the linkedin result for Paulo on the resulting google results. Then do the security check and it will take you to the profile of Paulo Araujo - our new International Football Consultant (Latin America & USA)

Then simply add the other names into the search box at the top of the screen

George Foster Vigors - Technical Recruitment Analyst

Anri Kaca - Technical/Scouting Analyst

Lee Jones - Full Time European Scout

Harry Barnard - Technical Analyst Emerging Talent

John Witty - Former First Team Scout

Or simply type " linkedin burnley fc " and any one of the names into your google search bar

The links on the right often highlight other people that work for us.

Edit

Interesting points on the Paulo profile are that he has little to no history of technical scouting and he left his position as Head of Sports Marketing for Umbro shortly before we signed our new three year shirt deal with them. A few months later he joined us.

It strikes me as being somewhat strange that he is tasked with scouting North and South America, in the hope that he might be able to contribute something of value 4, 5 or 6 years down the line.

That is quite a change from when Rigg said

" there are various restrictions, you can’t always bring in a player from South America, Brexit will have an impact, there are a few unknowns. "

“But we don’t want to spend a shed load bringing a 16-year-old in from Brazil when we’re not looking what’s under our nose in the villages and towns for the next Dwight McNeil, released from United or City.

" we won't be going over to the MLS or Argentina to sign wonderful exotic players. "

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s ... explained/

I sometimes think that Rigg talks so much claptrap that he forgets what he has said or the fact that in the new data driven world Technical Directors can't bullshit merrily away like they did in the past. It only takes a quick bit of typing and some very elementary Google Fu to discover all manner of interesting bits and bobs.
Last edited by Long Time Lurker on Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:51 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:23 pm
I did it the other day for one of Chester's posts, they did the elephant thing twice, then the zebra crossing- I'm not a robot thing, then I was in

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:59 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:36 pm
Dyche chose to omit them from last night's matchday squad for whatever reason. But they are all 4 contractually able to be selected until 2359 on June 30th. Signing an extension or not they could have played.
2359? That's a heck of a contract extension!! ;)

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:37 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:36 pm
We're not the only club with these issues, Bournemouth are a notable one with Ryan Fraser refusing to play in their relegation fight, at least we have the luxury if being safe, and let's be honest if SD had picked them last night, or even had them on the bench, how committed would they have been if called upon, as to whether they should be paid for the rest of their contract, as much as it sticks in my throat i don't see how legally the club can refuse to pay them.

Came across this article listing all the ooc PL players, now it's a few weeks old so some may have signed extensions, but it does highlight the conundrums facing clubs,https://talksport.com/football/659168/p ... ewcastle/

We already knew the players wielded all the power, and this episode just goes to prove it.

JimmyRobbo
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 883 times

Post by JimmyRobbo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:12 pm

I don't think I am adding much to this debate, but, fwiw:

I like him. I want to keep him. I won't be too upset if he is asking for a substantial rise in wages and Garlick doesn't want to give in to it. Who would have though Westwood would turn out so well? I have faith that we can find others.

The only way we keep competing is to maintain a sharpness in the transfer market rather than being lazy.

Thanks for the years of service but away you go. All is fair in love, war and football. At least we won't have to suffer him being called Hendricks for much longer.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:15 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:16 am
Presumably. The article says we’ve been discussing a contract with him for a long time, which is common knowledge. Apparently talks took place again on Sunday, but no agreement was reached, so the club are now expecting him to follow Lennon & Hart out the door.
Not having a go here, but I'm always amazed how people know these things...how !!!

"Apparently talks took place again on Sunday, but no agreement was reached, so the club are now expecting him to follow Lennon & Hart out the door."

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:22 pm

Shame this didn't happen at the end of a "normal" season, I don't think too may of us are overly bothered. He's been good but no more for the most part, chipped in with some memorable goals and good displays and does do a lot of the dirty work - but Dyche always seems to find those players so I'm confident his place will be filled without detriment going forward - just a shame we still have games to play

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:26 pm

I don't know about anyone else but I've developed an apathy towards signings and contracts with the amount of money involved in the transfers which includes the fee itself, wages and agents fees. To the average person the amounts are obscene and is taking some of the gloss of watching football for me.

I couldn't care less any more who signs a contract and have faith in SD to do what's right for the club, not quite so sure about the board though :)

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6171 times

Post by KateR » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:43 pm

has he left yet?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:07 pm

Woonderbah wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:09 pm
And I should imagine the maths is done over the life of the contract to ensure the club get value for their money.
As a club, we've benefited much more signing free agents and selling them for a fee.
It would be a much worse situation if we hadn't signed Brownhill but departures free up wages for an addition or two.
I'd like to see some youth padding out the squad too.
We had very good value for money from Hendrick though.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:18 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:43 pm
has he left yet?
No

It's like a mini transfer window deadline day, with a difference.

We are sat here watching the countdown timer, wondering if our own players will sign for us.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:34 pm

Oh well. Hopefully we can sign a proper winger or number 10 to replace him. Not his fault of course, but it was irritating to see him shoehorned into silly roles.

Back in the day people were mortified when Chris McCann left, but I knew we'd be a better team without him. Turns out we were and I expect the same with Hendrick.

What I fear is we will play Brownhill there as his replacement, he played there for Bristol City a lot the season before this one, but his form drastically improved when they moved him to a central role. Please Dyche do not do a 'Hendrick' with Brownhill.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:56 pm

The really bizarre thing about the current situation is this

We might be in this contractual wasteland because we have full confidence in our transfer strategy for the next window and we have an unshakable belief that we can attract all of the player on our target list to the club.

Naturally, that will require us to convince a number of players from other clubs to sign contracts with us.

If it turns out that we can't do that in the next window we are going to look very silly.

Adding to the problem will be the prospect that every other club will know if we are in a position that means we NEED to sign players and they will no doubt bend us over a barrel, with the player agents waiting in line to do the same.

We could find ourselves giving some long and very generous contracts to some very average players if things don't go our way.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:06 pm

Shocked there’s been no club statement on this or Bardsley yet.

Or the others, to be fair.