Hendrick set to leave

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Blackburn_Claret
Been Liked: 85 times
Has Liked: 267 times

Re: Hendrick set to leave

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:46 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:09 pm
Despite the fact that we were trying to keep Hendrick despite signing Brownhill.
Was this why he as decided not to renew because we couldn't guarantee first team football with Brownhill taking his place?

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:00 pm

Blackburn_Claret wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:46 pm
Was this why he as decided not to renew because we couldn't guarantee first team football with Brownhill taking his place?
Are you joking asking that?

We had 3 centre midfielders, but we want 4 or more ideally.

No ones place was being taken. If all our wingers were fit, Hendrick would be on the bench with Brownhill.

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:40 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:14 pm
Austin has turned out to be a journeyman. He left us on the eve of the first game of the season-went to Hull and failed his medical and within a day signing up with QPR in the Championship. I just felt he could not get away from Burnley quick enough

Ings is very likeable but I hear the manner he went about his move was not ethical and he let SD down
I vaguely remember Austin saying something along the lines of after he'd decided to leave for Hull that he didn't feel wanted at Burnley and felt he had to leave or something. Someone else will probably remember in more detail.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:59 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:22 pm
The club has 6 games in July, Sunday 5th thru Sunday 26th. 6 games in 22 days is a "big ask" for any professional footballer.
It really isn't. All players outside the Premier League will play two midweeks out of three fairly regularly throughout their career - it's the normal way of life. It might be a big ask for Premier league footballers, perhaps, but perhaps they have a load of sports scientists telling them it can't be done so they tend to believe them.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:01 am

We signed Brownhill because he was a good midfielder and we wanted a good midfielder. Not because we had an empty number on the programme and thought it would be good to fill it. It's irrelevant who else may or may not have been leaving - Brownhill was signed for himself.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 767 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 am

dsr wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:01 am
We signed Brownhill because he was a good midfielder and we wanted a good midfielder. Not because we had an empty number on the programme and thought it would be good to fill it. It's irrelevant who else may or may not have been leaving - Brownhill was signed for himself.
I'm sure Brownhill was signed for himself (his leadership skills being captain of Bristol City to name one of his qualities), but it's pretty obvious that part of his attractiveness was his ability to play in CM and wide right midfield. Very similar to what Hendrick does.

Now if you add in the strong suspicion Dyche must have had that Hendrick was going in the summer, it becomes quite relevant I think. To be clear, I'm not trying to say that if Hendrick signed a new deal in January that Brownhill wouldn't have signed, but his analogy to Hendrick's style can't have avoided their thinking.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:30 am

Anyone think Hendrick might make a great signing for Leeds?

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2173 times
Has Liked: 3108 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:39 am

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:30 am
Anyone think Hendrick might make a great signing for Leeds?
I suspect Hart and Lennon may well end up there..... Hendrick will be looking slightly higher.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:01 am

IMO but for the JBG and Brady injurIES, hendrick would have only been a squad utility player filling in for injury or suspension.
Who's to say we arent going to sign a new winger and then Brady/JBG are the back up wingers and Brownhill the new CM and utility player?

If that's the case there was no real need for Jeff Hendrick and giving him 1 last pay day for 3 or 4 seasons may not have been the best move.
To progress sometimes you've got to ship one or 2 out.

Obviously that only works if we sign a genuine first team player, but we cannot afford to have several players on the bench on top money that either A. We have plenty of cover for, or B.arent going to start too many games

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:18 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:00 pm
Are you joking asking that?

We had 3 centre midfielders, but we want 4 or more ideally.

No ones place was being taken. If all our wingers were fit, Hendrick would be on the bench with Brownhill.
When are all of our wingers ever fit? McNeil's the only reliable wide presence we possess, we certainly can't rely on Brady or JBG, putting a run of games together anytime soon. Hendrick was essentially a utility player, but due to the various injuries we've suffered in the past few seasons, he's been a virtual ever present, that's what we'll miss, whatever his faults he was dependable.

Brownhill should prove to be a good signing, if the fans give him a chance, already there was mumbles of discontent about his performance at City on this board.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8726 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:37 am

Thanks a fed best wishes to Jeff Hendrick.
Just two Irishmen left, from our squad of 4.5

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:26 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:59 pm
It really isn't. All players outside the Premier League will play two midweeks out of three fairly regularly throughout their career - it's the normal way of life. It might be a big ask for Premier league footballers, perhaps, but perhaps they have a load of sports scientists telling them it can't be done so they tend to believe them.
Hi dsr, if your future earnings depended on you not suffering an injury in those 6 games would you still think "it's the normal way of life?"

Jeff Hendrick may post some time in his future that it was a mistake not to renew his contract with Burnley..... or maybe not. I wish him well and thank him for his time at the club and especially his goal at Stamford Bridge.

UTC

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:37 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:26 pm
Hi dsr, if your future earnings depended on you not suffering an injury in those 6 games would you still think "it's the normal way of life?"

Jeff Hendrick may post some time in his future that it was a mistake not to renew his contract with Burnley..... or maybe not. I wish him well and thank him for his time at the club and especially his goal at Stamford Bridge.

UTC
That's a different question. You said that for any professional footballer, 4 consecutive weekends with a couple of midweeks is a big ask. If you'd restricted it to professionals playing in July who are out of contract, I would have answered differently.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:03 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:37 pm
That's a different question. You said that for any professional footballer, 4 consecutive weekends with a couple of midweeks is a big ask. If you'd restricted it to professionals playing in July who are out of contract, I would have answered differently.
Weren't we talking about ooc players?

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:13 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:37 am
Thanks a fed best wishes to Jeff Hendrick.
Just two Irishmen left, from our squad of 4.5
Jezzzzzz always hate when the Irish leave town , not to worry sure a few of the Irish fans will hang around 8-)

DycheAlmighty
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by DycheAlmighty » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:59 pm

I can't get on board with thanking Hendrick. Truth is we massively overspent on him, believe it was around a £12 million fee and was likely on an excellent wage. He's apparently played 122 league games for the club and I can count his good performances on one hand. Dyche has shown immense faith and loyalty to him and he's repaid us by not getting any return for our investment. Personally I say let him join another club willing to pay his wage demands, they will soon realise he doesn't actually have a playing position. He can't play as a right winger as he simply employed to protect our full back and in centre midfield, whenever he has played, we've been badly exposed. I'm happy to see Brownhill, a younger player, get a chance to cement a starting spot.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Hendrick will become the new David Jones of UTC.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:33 pm

Goodbye Jeff, never really fit into the team as we didn't see the best of him at CM. Did a job for us at RM though. Fans never took to him which maybe influenced his decision to leave. No emotion over this one, think we can upgrade by signing an actual RM and maybe a good move for all.

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:27 pm

Well this fan took to him.

Tidy player and chipped in with some cracking goals (the one at home v Bournemouth being my favourite).

Sorry to see him go but wish him well.

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1523 times

Post by chekhov » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:44 pm

Where is Jeff by the way? I thought we were still paying him. Let’s face he’s done sweet f.a. for past 3 months while pocketing a healthy wage.
The least he could do is honour his contract. So that’ll be no well wishing from me.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by Aclaret » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:56 pm

DycheAlmighty wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:59 pm
I can't get on board with thanking Hendrick. Truth is we massively overspent on him, believe it was around a £12 million fee and was likely on an excellent wage. He's apparently played 122 league games for the club and I can count his good performances on one hand. Dyche has shown immense faith and loyalty to him and he's repaid us by not getting any return for our investment. Personally I say let him join another club willing to pay his wage demands, they will soon realise he doesn't actually have a playing position. He can't play as a right winger as he simply employed to protect our full back and in centre midfield, whenever he has played, we've been badly exposed. I'm happy to see Brownhill, a younger player, get a chance to cement a starting spot.
" Played 122 league games and
I can count his good performances on one hand "
I remember when we bought him reading a Derby County forum and quite a few of their fans saying he only has a good game every 5 or 6. Wish he was still in our squad though.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:03 pm

Once we get Wood, Barnes, JBG and Brady fit, we won't miss him. Good luck Geoff, wherever you end up.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 700 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:56 pm

I'm presuming that Jeff has now gone ( along with Hart & Lennon ) he is free to sign for another team and presumably play for them, therefore there are approx 60 other out of contract PL players that are now available to sign for Burnley and play for us until the end of the season - if we want to sign them.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:30 pm

I feel its necessary to start with this, because often if a member critiques a player in our squad, people often jump to the conclusion you are a hater, not a supporter and someone who jeers their own players.

To give perspective, I (like the majority on here) are Burnley through and through.
I never condone jeering one of our own and I've never ever done so but I've been pretty vocal and critical of Jeff here on the forum. Constructive feedback and balance debates in all honesty. But anyway, I feel like his criticism (and not jeering from the stands) has been more than justified.

In Brownhill we have already found a player who in my opinion is a lot, lot better and offers more than I can remember Jeff offering in just a few games.

Now granted Hendrick spent a lot of time out of position and in a CM role more often he would have impressed more, but he was certainly no number 10 in my eyes and no winger either.

Time will tell, but I feel Hendrick is Chris McCann MKII. Many people love him (and I can understand why) but as it stands, I feel we are better off without him. We replaced McCann back in the day with David Jones who in turn bought out the best in Dean Marney. I feel Brownhill offers a similar kind of mould at a higher level, he brings the best of those around him.

I wish Hendrick good luck at his new club, but I hardly expect him to impress.

Lets hope we can add to our squad depth because this team we have next season will be a cracking one!

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3157 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:47 pm

Some interesting comments from Hendricks international manager in the Mail today- issue seems to be more about playing position

'Covid has impacted his situation': Jeff Hendrick is set to miss out on dream AC Milan move due to coronavirus after his Burnley contract expired, claims Ireland boss Stephen Kenny
- Jeff Hendrick may be forced to stay in England when he makes his next move
- The Ireland midfielder is a free agent after running down his deal at Burnley
- He rejected a last-minute offer of a new contract amid interest from AC Milan
By JAMES DUTTON FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 12:52, 9 July 2020 | UPDATED: 12:52, 9 July 2020

Jeff Hendrick's dream move to AC Milan appears to be in tatters due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Irish international is a free agent after running down his contract at Burnley and rejecting a last-minute offer of an extended deal.

Hendrick has been linked with a surprise move to the San Siro, but according to his new national team boss that has been scuppered by the health crisis.

During his official unveiling as the new Ireland manager, Stephen Kenny said: 'Covid has impacted his situation, probably. He's in the prime of his career and he's a free agent so he won't be short of options, I'm sure.

'He'll have good offers, probably. I imagine that complicated the situation in terms of going anywhere, I'd say.

'But I don't know where he's going or what he has planned now. That's his private business at the moment.'

Kenny added: 'I think Jeff would be keen to play in a central area and focus on that.

'He's been playing wide on the right for a long period.

'He would view himself as a central player and would like to play in a central area.'

Hendrick was hoping to become just the third Republic of Ireland footballer to play in Serie A after Liam Brady and most recently Robbie Keane.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:09 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:56 pm
I'm presuming that Jeff has now gone ( along with Hart & Lennon ) he is free to sign for another team and presumably play for them, therefore there are approx 60 other out of contract PL players that are now available to sign for Burnley and play for us until the end of the season - if we want to sign them.
No. You can't register new players outside the transfer window unless they were out of contract when the previous window ended. Hendrick can sign for anyone he who will have him, but he can't play for them until a new transfer window opens.

ClaretFelix
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Post by ClaretFelix » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:13 am

As per the title, first AC Milan, now Manchester United......
Attachments
Screenshot_20200716-070517_Sky Sports.jpg
Screenshot_20200716-070517_Sky Sports.jpg (257.41 KiB) Viewed 3811 times

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:23 am

Must be true if it's on t'internet. Ask Gordonvale.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3339 times
Has Liked: 1959 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:26 am

Lee Grant got a gig there so anything is possible.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:28 am

I doubt it, he is wanting first team football in his preferred position, and it certainly isn't about money...
This user liked this post: bobinho

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:37 am

MACCA wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:28 am
I doubt it, he is wanting first team football in his preferred position, and it certainly isn't about money...
Money will come into it to a degree. If he's gone to Mr G and said 'I don't care about the money' I am sure he'd have been snapped up.

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:55 am

BenWickes wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:37 am
Money will come into it to a degree. If he's gone to Mr G and said 'I don't care about the money' I am sure he'd have been snapped up.
You reckon?

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:03 am

Belial wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:55 am
You reckon?
Well clearly I was being sarcastic. I hardly see clubs falling over themselves to sign him despite the fact he is a free agent.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1410 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:00 am

Whilst never being a favourite, I liked Jeff Hendrick and thought that he did a good job for BFC. I was further given to understand that he already had a contract lined-up with Celtic before he left?
I hope that's true as in the current economic climate and uncertain times, if his agent is still hawking him around now, then I suspect that even touting Jeff as a free-agent, he will struggle to find him a gig which matches the salary he was reputedly earning at Burnley.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Jeff's agent

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Fair play to the guy getting his client linked with Roma and AC Milan.
He's now got him linked to joining Man Utd.
Replacing Pogba I think?

I suppose Lee Grant got a gig there though.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Re: Jeff's agent

Post by DCWat » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:41 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:35 pm
Fair play to the guy getting his client linked with Roma and AC Milan.
He's now got him linked to joining Man Utd.
Replacing Pogba I think?

I suppose Lee Grant got a gig there though.
Linked to Man United! Where?

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:48 pm

DCWat wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:41 pm
All over the place, but here's one. https://www.balls.ie/

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:49 pm

DCWat wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:41 pm
https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/ ... 00256?s=09

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8726 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:49 pm

Yes. Hendrick to MU. Easy flight to Ireland.

cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by cblantfanclub » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:31 pm

He's free to sign for Milan now. Covid is not an issue despite what his Ireland manager said.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2325 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:00 pm

Championship player, and reasonable midfield utility cover in lower Prem.

No more, no less.

This Man U talk is hilarious.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:14 pm

Anyone who thinks this is a footballing decision by Hendrick and his agent based on level of football being played, would be well advised to keep their hand on their wallet when leaving home.
It's another example of the greed we see too often in football, I hope it backfires on them. In case anyone is foolish enough to support Hendrick, I will repeat. There are too many greedy footballers, and Hendrick is one of them

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1330 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:05 pm

His best chance of PL football is to ask (beg?) us to let him sign for what we offered. That would shut Sean up wouldn't it?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:03 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:14 pm
Anyone who thinks this is a footballing decision by Hendrick and his agent based on level of football being played, would be well advised to keep their hand on their wallet when leaving home.
It's another example of the greed we see too often in football, I hope it backfires on them. In case anyone is foolish enough to support Hendrick, I will repeat. There are too many greedy footballers, and Hendrick is one of them
Harsh on 2 levels.

1) we don’t know what he has been offered by Burnley and how that compares to his team mates.
2) in terms of “greed” Hendrick is no different to every single Burnley player and 99% of all footballers.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 evensteadiereddie

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:24 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:03 pm
Harsh on 2 levels.

1) we don’t know what he has been offered by Burnley and how that compares to his team mates.
2) in terms of “greed” Hendrick is no different to every single Burnley player and 99% of all footballers.
It was reported in the Athletic he got offered an improved deal but didn't accept.

The Athletic seem to get a lot of info these days as they pay the most money.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:33 pm

He needs to get real and maybe a new agent that understands the post Covid world.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:36 pm

Absolutely tosh in reply to the poster who quoted me
Last edited by Elizabeth on Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:36 pm

Why?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:38 pm

Not you summit, I've just clarified who I was replying to
This user liked this post: summitclaret

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:01 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:24 pm
It was reported in the Athletic he got offered an improved deal but didn't accept.

The Athletic seem to get a lot of info these days as they pay the most money.
There was also reports he was offered less money than he was on. Either way we don’t know the details of the offer and to suggest he is any different to the rest of the team or the vast majority of other players is naive at best.

Defour took a one year extension to his contract - whilst he was having some serious injury issues - can’t remember many fans calling him greedy (and I don’t think he was either).

There’s little or no loyalty left amongst players - agents try and get them the best deal they can and if they can leave without any or a big fee then that gives them even more chance of a bigger salary - like Tripps and Ings both did. A number of supporters were unhappy with Ings and used the word greed and disloyal but what Tripps and his agent did was no different - and again I don’t think either of them did what everyone else does now if they get a chance to.