OGS: correct or excuses for his failure to land silverware

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

OGS: correct or excuses for his failure to land silverware

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:29 am

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says it is harder for Man Utd to win trophies nowhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53198768

There's some truth to his claim in my view, but when your the boss of Man Utd, trophies are a prerequisite of the job description, of course Ole could yet land the EL and the FA Cup, now one or both of those in their trophy cabinet, and he'd go a long way to assuaging his doubters, but if neither land in his lap, then the pressure will only increase, TBF it doesn't help his cause, that Liverpool have suddenly awoken from their long slumber.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3088 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Re: OGS: correct or excuses for his failure to land silverware

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:35 am

It’s true, but not something he should be saying as a United manager.

SlidingTackle
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 121 times

Post by SlidingTackle » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:37 am

Yes, both.

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:50 am

Abit defeatist especially with a sky high wage bill they aren't getting value for money

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:57 am

Just being realistic.
What's the point of blowing up your chances, the fans would only use it against him. SD goes out of his way to keep the fans grounded, every success is then a bonus.
It doesn't mean OGS has given up.

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:04 pm

With a 300m odd quid wage bill to staggering amount

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:07 pm

Ole also said De Gea was the best keeper in the world.

Del Boy spoke more truths.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:09 pm

He’s right. It’s harder now to get in the top 4 than it was to win the PL. I commented on the Arsenal thread last week saying I didn’t think they were ever really that good. 3 PL titles in an era 2 competed for it to me is crap compared to how titles Chelsea and Man City now have. People would say those 2 bought it but all they did was spend to get squads equally as good as Arsenal/Man Utd. They were never miles ahead of those. They then went and won (Chelsea 5, Man City 4) in the era where more teams are competing for it. So Ole is right, Man U then had to compete with 1 club maybe another 1 each season having a good year but not consistently the same club improving. Now you’ve got Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs(ish), Man City, Arsenal(ish) competing. You need 90’s title winning form to get top 4.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2974 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:13 pm

Who gives a sh!t ?

The longer they languish, the better.
These 3 users liked this post: Gordaleman ElectroClaret longsidepies

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3436 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:16 pm

It's only harder when teams don't evolve to keep up.
Utd haven't really evolved much since Fergie left.

They've made several poor signings, including Pogba considering what he's cost.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Dyched wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:09 pm
He’s right. It’s harder now to get in the top 4 than it was to win the PL. I commented on the Arsenal thread last week saying I didn’t think they were ever really that good. 3 PL titles in an era 2 competed for it to me is crap compared to how titles Chelsea and Man City now have. People would say those 2 bought it but all they did was spend to get squads equally as good as Arsenal/Man Utd. They were never miles ahead of those. They then went and won (Chelsea 5, Man City 4) in the era where more teams are competing for it. So Ole is right, Man U then had to compete with 1 club maybe another 1 each season having a good year but not consistently the same club improving. Now you’ve got Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs(ish), Man City, Arsenal(ish) competing. You need 90’s title winning form to get top 4.
Well that might be true, but i'd replace the North London teams with Leicester and Wolves, both Arsenal and Spurs are going backwards at a rate of knots, whereas the former two are building young quality squads, and certainly in Wolves case they have power to add if needed, i can't even see Arsenal qualifying for Europe this season, certainly not through their league placing anyhow, they might still lift the FA Cup, but considering the calibre of sides remaining i seriously doubt they'll even manage that,

Liverpool & City have set the benchmark, and both Leicester & Chelsea in particular will improve next season, so yes even to get into the top 4 now is tough, and with Everton showing ambition and getting a top coach in Ancelotti, they'll be hoping to challenge next season, so life for Ole's not going to get any easier, maybe if he stopped wasting 80 million on duds like Maguire it might help his cause though.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:49 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:16 pm
It's only harder when teams don't evolve to keep up.
Utd haven't really evolved much since Fergie left.

They've made several poor signings, including Pogba considering what he's cost.
Never mind the cost. Even if they got him a free the bloke is injured half the time. And when he does play he only bothers to try every now and then. Shocking attitude.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:03 pm

Foulthrow wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:49 pm
Never mind the cost. Even if they got him a free the bloke is injured half the time. And when he does play he only bothers to try every now and then. Shocking attitude.
I haven't been following Utd that closely, but Pogba by all accounts had a good game against Sheff Utd, that's fine and dandy, but how many good games has he had for Utd this season, when you spend £90m on a player, and add the wages that also entails, you expect much more, i totally agree his attitude stinks, and from Utd's POV the sooner they can get rid of him the better, he's a spoilt prima donna who found it easy in Italy, and thought he'd just stroll back to the PL, and find it easy here, well Mr Pogba you've had a rude awakening, there was a reason Fergie got rid, and now everybody can see for themselves exactly what that reason was.

Compare him to other top midfielders at City & Liverpool, and look at the work rate, even the other night against us at 5-0 up, City still put the effort in to win the ball back, that's the mark of winners, and why both have had the success they've enjoyed. Even Messi and Ronaldo do their work for the team, it's impossible in the modern game not to have everyone putting in a shift.
These 2 users liked this post: Foulthrow GodIsADeeJay81

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:00 pm

SD is waiting in wings with us until OGS gets potted, mark my words...
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3436 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:20 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:00 pm
SD is waiting in wings with us until OGS gets potted, mark my words...
Honestly I'd expect to see that Utd team put in more of a shift if Dyche was manager there.
This user liked this post: Zlatan