Hendrick Offered Contract By Newcastle

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Re: Hendrick Offered Contract By Newcastle

Post by jtv » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:50 pm

Their name has 15 characters to our 7
These 3 users liked this post: morpheus2 Zlatan Bosscat

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:52 pm

Rovers have won the FA Cup six times, League 3 times.

Are they a bigger club?

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:52 pm

morpheus2 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:48 pm
Alright,alright.... but apart from -
bigger crowds,
bigger stadium,
bigger population,
more fa cups won,
more league titles won,
more wins in europe,
more top flight football,
richer history,
WHAT MAKES NEWCASTLE BIGGER THAN US??
Yeah but 42>39

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:54 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:54 pm
I suspect the Premier League have a problem with this one. There is probably no reason within their rules for blocking it but there are moral reasons along with the situation regarding the Saudis allegedly showing Premier League games illegally.
You are probably right CT. Whatever the case the Newcastle fans just want rid of the odious man!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:02 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:54 pm
Define bigger club....
Attendances
Away support
Finances generated
Wage bill

Trophies come under successful club for me.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:05 pm

He came to Burnley for top flight football.

He is moving on for money.

I suspect we won't hear much about young Jeff from hereon in. He's not the type that managers fancy. Good solid championship centre-mid.

No more than that. If he felt he should be earning more than the likes of Tarks/Mee/Pope/McNeil/Wood/JRod, then I'm sorry but he's deluded.

A very very average player who frankly should not be missed.
These 3 users liked this post: Woonderbah ropecatchmonkey Top Claret

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:54 pm
I suspect the Premier League have a problem with this one. There is probably no reason within their rules for blocking it but there are moral reasons along with the situation regarding the Saudis allegedly showing Premier League games illegally.
the only reason within Premier League rules that the Saudi's could be prevented from the takeover is the BeOutQ Illegal broadcasts of BeIN Sports programming, this was helped by the WTO (World Trade Organisation) report a couple of weeks back that basically said the the Saudi's were guilty of not doing anything to stop the BeOutQ broadcasts - not that they were responsible for them.

Since that report - illegal broadcasts by and access to equipment from BeOutQ has suddenly stopped, Cafes, Clubs and domestic viewers are being told to buy the BeIN service. The Saudi Government and FA have written to all the major rights owners and pledged to end piracy in their country. there has also been a formal expression of interest in buying the legitimate rights for the Bundesliga in the Middle East North Africa region in the next cycle, They have said they will compete for the next cycle of Premier League rights. Much of this because of work behind the scenes by both the Premier League and the UK Government it is believed.

It will have helped that in recent months the Saudi's appear to have developed a sports entertainment strategy, and all their new partners will have told them they need to play by the intellectual property rights rules.

As you may expect human rights doesn't provide a barrier (same with China and many other countries the UK does business with - and that includes the USA) - though by bringing them into the public organisations and sports such as football clubs, the weight of global pressure will enforce certain amount of change (see Qatar and it's world cup preparations).

The more intriguing aspect of the proposed Newcastle takeover is Yorkshire's own Amanda Staveley - who is supposed to be taking a 10% share and a place in the boardroom and be actively involved in the running of the club. She has been in court for the last couple of weeks trying to wangle a £1.5 billion (yes you read that right) commission out of Barclays - let's just say it has been a bit of a bruising ordeal for her so far. It that gets as bad as it could - she may end up being found to have perjured herself and fail the Owners and Directors Test for the Premier League.

As some of you expected. all of this has been posted in great detail on the MMT thread

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:11 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:02 pm
Attendances
Away support
Finances generated
Wage bill

Trophies come under successful club for me.
Good way of looking at it..... Always a topic to spark debate
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 328 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Woonderbah » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:18 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:05 pm
He came to Burnley for top flight football.

He is moving on for money.

I suspect we won't hear much about young Jeff from hereon in. He's not the type that managers fancy. Good solid championship centre-mid.

No more than that. If he felt he should be earning more than the likes of Tarks/Mee/Pope/McNeil/Wood/JRod, then I'm sorry but he's deluded.

A very very average player who frankly should not be missed.
I agree.. if he goes to Newcastle then I can only believe he didn't sign a contract with us because of money.
Why go to Newcastle when there's a fair chance of ownership and managerial change and therefore Jeff being a peripheral figure ?
I'm not crying that he's left as I think Brownhill will flourish but at least Jeff had a fan in Dyche and regular football.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:31 pm

They are a bigger club but they don’t have a better team. If a new owner comes in and Bruce goes he could find himself well down the pecking order with a few off games. But at least he’ll have more cash.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:34 pm

His agent will have been shopping him around, no way you turn down a contract without noises from other clubs.

Annoying If he stays in the league as we lose a good player & opponent gains one. Was hoping he'd depart for foreign shores.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32390 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:54 pm

Woonderbah wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:18 pm
I agree.. if he goes to Newcastle then I can only believe he didn't sign a contract with us because of money.
I wouldn’t assume. No doubt that he couldn’t agree with us but it isn’t necessarily money.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12477 times

Post by Leisure » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:59 pm

jtv wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:50 pm
Their name has 15 characters to our 7
And they have more steps to get to the away section!

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:01 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:29 pm
If they offered him a contract 12 months ago and he didn't sign it and we 12 months later let him walk away for FREE, I'd say Burnley FC let the contract run down, and what we could of done instead of nothing is sell him in January for a few million instead letting him walk free.
You can't sell a player unless firstly another club wants to buy him. Who was interested in buying him?

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:16 pm

He's gone, forget him, we won't miss him.
These 3 users liked this post: Tribesmen fatboy47 ropecatchmonkey

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5072 times
Has Liked: 6844 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:22 pm

Players move between clubs, it is the way of things. Invariably clubs who get more through the turnstiles tend to pay bigger wages, perhaps positional play comes into it, who knows with Hendrick. As with all ex Clarets I wish him health and happiness and dire performances against us.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2204 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:27 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:54 pm
I wouldn’t assume. No doubt that he couldn’t agree with us but it isn’t necessarily money.
Is this him thinking the crowd don't like him reason?

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:28 pm

Woonderbah wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:18 pm
Why go to Newcastle when there's a fair chance of ownership and managerial change and therefore Jeff being a peripheral figure ?
I'm not crying that he's left as I think Brownhill will flourish but at least Jeff had a fan in Dyche and regular football.
Theres not many if any that dont sign for money, even the so called good eggs.
Why do you think Mr Dyche is always on about finances and things aligning.

The truth is, if it's a straight shoot out between us and nearly any other premier league side for a player, we will highly likely miss out.

We couldnt give Jeff the sort of financial package he can get elsewhere, but dont be telling everyone, it's only us in the know that know that.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:30 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:52 pm
Rovers have won the FA Cup six times, League 3 times.

Are they a bigger club?
They were in the 1890’s

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32390 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:35 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:27 pm
Is this him thinking the crowd don't like him reason?
No. It’s just people thinking it the only reason for him not signing a deal.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:37 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:35 pm
No. It’s just people thinking it the only reason for him not signing a deal.
I'm still none the wiser.

:?

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:28 pm

morpheus2 wrote:
bigger crowds,
bigger stadium,
bigger population,
more fa cups won,
more league titles won,
more wins in europe,
richer history,
One intertoto cup won.
They had the best coach in the Premier league in John carver
Their chairman is bigger than ours and can probably vomit a greater volume for more distance
Been in the champions league
The ground has a metro station
They have enough fit players for a full bench.
They didn't sell out and vote in a tory.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:43 pm

We’ve been a better side than Newcastle, on and off, for a few seasons now. Hendrick was an attribute for us, partly because of his flexibility, partly because he fit our system.

He may get game due to injury at Newcastle, he certainly won’t be a regular for any period of time. I just can’t see him fitting their system, having the crowd onside or displacing any of the players ahead of him, despite us being better than them in recent times.

It just doesn’t appear to be a good fit for Newcastle or for Hendrick, barring the contract he would receive.

Claret Toni
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Claret Toni » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:53 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:09 pm
So Jeff departs for Newcastle, who are in the process of being taken over by either a Saudi, or an American consortium .....

New owners arrive, scarves held aloft by them ..... thanks for your services Mr Bruce, big-name signing of Italian/Spanish/German manager with transfer kitty of £300m, several new signings come in, Jeff told that he's " not part of their plans ", last seen training with the Reserves & Youth team, muttering " Feckin' Shoite " to himself continuously ....
...speaks with his old Manager who is short of a right side midfielder, with a good engine who puts in a shift as cover for his oft injured but skilful 1st choice. No names, no pack drill but Manager is able to persuade chairman to fork out £10M (down from £15M 'cos selling club are looking to move him quickly and appreciate player's exemplary attitude) for player in his prime with extensive Premier League and international experience; also get 1st refusal on promising young left sided midfielder.

It couldn't happen, could it?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18213 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:59 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:29 pm
I accept bigger crowds, more money,
But history and things won count more to me, each to their own
You said 'define a bigger club'

Newcastle have won 4 League titles.
6 FA Cups and a Charity Shield, as well as the 1969 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and the 2006 UEFA Intertoto Cup, the ninth highest total of trophies won by an English club, and that sort of defines they are a bigger club... so they have won more than us too or is history lost on you Grumps ...

I don't think we can dispute Newcastle are a bigger club than us....

It also defines why I love watching Burnley FC and how they stick it to the 'bigger clubs'

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1485 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:04 pm

Newcastle are a top12 Club .Great supporters but survival is the best they can hope for

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:16 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:09 pm
Newcastle are a massive club. It's not just the population, given above, they have virtually everybody from there to the Scottish border and split the Co. Durham support with Sunderland. A successful Geordie side could easily sell out an 80k stadium.
Any club who was able to have regular sustatined success can sell out a stadium bigger than they currently have.

Newcastle are just one of those clubs with a big stadium and loyal support that have flirted with the top of the table occasionally.
They've no real competition for support up there which helps them out.

They've failed to keep themselves competitive though for various reasons and have a history of booing managers like their beloved Bobby Robson (which they deny ever happened).

If the takeover happens its going to need Man City style investment to drag them up to the top of the table and they're going to make some expensive mistakes along the way like City did with Robinho so it's going to be interesting to see what happens.
Bruce will get potted and they can take their pick of managers if serious investment is there.
Rafa is trying to whore himself out now there is potentially money available :lol:

k90bfc
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 5522 times

Post by k90bfc » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:21 pm

Hendrick has played his part,getting us over the Relegation Line,If he doesnt want to play for us ,now or next season,let him go,Josh Brownhill soon stepped in,done really well under the present circumstances,Burnley through and through,total opposite aproach to Hendrick,Bye Bye Jeff,hope one day you wont regret it!

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:25 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:59 pm
You said 'define a bigger club'

Newcastle have won 4 League titles.
6 FA Cups and a Charity Shield, as well as the 1969 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and the 2006 UEFA Intertoto Cup, the ninth highest total of trophies won by an English club, and that sort of defines they are a bigger club... so they have won more than us too or is history lost on you Grumps ...

I don't think we can dispute Newcastle are a bigger club than us....

It also defines why I love watching Burnley FC and how they stick it to the 'bigger clubs'
I've never said they are not a bigger club
I've explained what I meant by history,
Nothing lost on me at all thankyou.

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:38 pm

Altjough there are people on here slagging Hendrick off for chasing the money i would guess that a big factor in him not signing a new deal would be twofold...despite scoring some absolute worldies and contributing to ou recent success, he never ever won the crowd over and was used as a scapegoat many times on here.
Secondly i think he prefers to be central midfielder and Dyche prefers him out wide or as a 10.
Personally i will remember him as a workhorse who always grafted and occasionally popped up with some brilliant goals, Bournemouth at home, the sublime finish after the 20 odd pass move at Goodison, the volley at Chelsea etc.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:11 pm

If Jeff comes up against in the future in a Newcastle shirt, or any other for that matter, are we gonna look at the team sheet and be scared by the name Jeff Hendrick? Is he gonna rip us one like so many Prem players can on the day?
No, didn't think so. He's been an integral part of our team, fitted in well with Sean's tactics and ethos, and has been effective. But on the whole as a player he's bang average for The Prem and if he goes to a team higher than us with better quality, technical players, he'll look like a fish out of water. I hope he doesn't go to Milan, he would get a pasting from fans there and it could be embarrassing, even if they are no great shakes at the moment.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:15 pm

morpheus2 wrote:
bigger crowds,
bigger stadium,
bigger population,
more fa cups won,
more league titles won,
more wins in europe,
richer history,
But we are nicer and have better kit!
This user liked this post: Bosscat

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:46 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:43 pm
Bye Bye.......Next

Also, Silly by Burnley letting a contract run down on a 10+ million pound player to walk free
Yes he should have been forced to sign.

groove
Been Liked: 320 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:51 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:37 pm
I'm still none the wiser.

:?
Probably length of contract. Anything less than 4 years is a reduced deal.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:15 pm

I don't see Newcastle at the present as a bigger club than BFC going off watching games and how the tables have been but can definitely see Newcastle potentially and likely to be a bigger club in the future as it's well know MA want's away and the crowd/ground offer more potential for an investor plus the location in terms of being the biggest club within the local geography. They don't have to compete with Manchester and Liverpool in terms of 4 PL clubs in close proximity. I am still very skeptical of the SIF putting money in but of course they could do.

However in regard to the thread I don't see Hendrick as a first team regular right now, never mind if an investor/Millions come in to the club so I guess a few permutations and what does he really want, first team football, longer contract etc. but wish him well in his new endeavors.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:52 pm

They can sell him for a few million. Why not sign him?
Money for nothing.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1485 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:56 pm

Its not the size of your assets fans stadium or players it's how you use them
That's why we are looking down on Newcastle United again

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:01 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:30 pm
They were in the 1890’s
And the 1990's...... :D

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:02 pm

I still don't get the Newcastle fans loathing for Mike Ashley.

He has ploughed millions into a Club that are often dead on their feet and runs it like a business. The only thing he isn't guilty of is stupidity with his money.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:11 pm

groove wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:51 pm
Probably length of contract. Anything less than 4 years is a reduced deal.
I get that, but he didn't really expect another four year contract, did he?

Good luck to him, if he get one elsewhere.

groove
Been Liked: 320 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:19 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:11 pm
I get that, but he didn't really expect another four year contract, did he?

Good luck to him, if he get one elsewhere.
Who knows. He's only 28, so that would've taken him up to age 32. He would argue he's at the peak of his playing career.
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:27 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:54 pm
Then what is it?
Why are people quick to blame the board for losing Hendrick when the players are the one with all the power?

Hendrick has had a deal on the table for an awful long time, he hasn’t signed it, who’s fault is that? There’s absolutely nothing we can do if players decide they aren’t going to re-sign contracts. Throw more money at him and overpay him? that just sets a precedent for other players to follow.

If you don’t want to be here, goodbye we aren’t going to be held to ransom by pretty average players like Hendrick and I’m happy about that. If it was Mee or Tarkowski then it’s a different story, we could throw more money at Tarks contract and recoup a fortune more from a sale.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:33 am

I still want us to sign Ollie Norwood and I don’t know why

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:39 am

IanMcL wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:52 pm
They can sell him for a few million. Why not sign him?
Money for nothing.
Who's likely to pay a few million for him???

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:01 am

JohnMac wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:02 pm
I still don't get the Newcastle fans loathing for Mike Ashley.

He has ploughed millions into a Club that are often dead on their feet and runs it like a business. The only thing he isn't guilty of is stupidity with his money.
It is what happens when fans have the expectation that owners will spend silly money - look at Sir John Hall - they were exciting under his ownership, but quite silly with money - never won anything either - though they did come close a few times.

The biggest legitimate complaint about Ashley is the commercial Income - he chooses to promote his own brands when it is likely they would have got more from others
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:22 am

West Ham are a "massive" club compared to us. They spend like billy-o but are looking down the barrel of a gun right now.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:31 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:33 am
I still want us to sign Ollie Norwood and I don’t know why
It is the local lad thing - Mick Ennis thought he was the best player ever to come through Teds, and judging by his career he has fulfilled that potential - just signed an extension at Sheff United

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:46 am

Sad hes gone but lets move on. Its not like losing Dwight or Wood.He was a great versatile member of the team that fitted in well with our injury issues. However as has already been said there are good players in this position in the mold of Ollie Norwood, Hughes of Watford,, Cairney of Fulham (particularly if they don't get promoted). I know we have Josh, and good signs on Thursday night, but we need to give Westwood & Cork competition.They rarely got subbed last year as there was no one to replace them

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2247 times

Post by mkmel » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:53 am

ClaretDiver wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:54 pm
You are probably right CT. Whatever the case the Newcastle fans just want rid of the odious man!
Last edited by mkmel on Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:56 am

ecc wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:22 am
West Ham are a "massive" club compared to us. They spend like billy-o but are looking down the barrel of a gun right now.
Ah another club over hyped by the likes of the media into being a club bigger than they really are :roll:

The West Ham way of football, never really worked out what that means tbh.