Holidays Abroad

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
depechedingle
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 276 times

Holidays Abroad

Post by depechedingle » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:00 am

I have been lucky this year that me and the missus were having a very rare year off on the holiday front, so we have come through this period unscathed, albeit we do have a city break in October to Budapest.

However we have taken the plunge during the weekend and booked for Kos in 2021, we definetly need something to look forward to, only 401 days to go.

What are you thoughts, at present I personally wouldn't consider a 2020 holiday with all the potential restrictions, this doesn't mean you shouldn't and I guess depends how comfortable with your annual holiday not being quite the same as normally expected. I realise the situation could well be the same come next year.

Will you being considering booking your next holiday??

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Re: Holidays Abroad

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:09 am

It depend on your risk tolerance and destination.
I'd saved for a while and had a trip to New York booked for May which never happened. I don't think the US is a place I want to visit this year, even if infection drops off I want the normal experience. I don't want to wear a mask on the subway or spend precious time in extra long queues because museums have to limit numbers.
If you want to lay on a beach that's probably going to be less effected.
Sadly I'm not sure If I'll get there next year as If work doesn't return I'll have to eat into that money saved.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:24 am

Why would anyone go abroad by choice this year? If you did and didn't isolate for 2 weeks on return, would you think you were being selfish?

If you do go, don't expect the public purse to pay for you to get home if there is a spike in Covid abroad.
This user liked this post: Blackrod

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1664 times
Has Liked: 2974 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:32 am

If I go to Greece ,which has had about 170 deaths, from the UK, with it's 40,000+ deaths, surely the last thing I need to have a conscience about would be endangering the Brits on my return ?

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:58 am

summitclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:24 am
Why would anyone go abroad by choice this year? If you did and didn't isolate for 2 weeks on return, would you think you were being selfish?

If you do go, don't expect the public purse to pay for you to get home if there is a spike in Covid abroad.
Coming back from a place with far less infection than us, will be safer than going to the pub next Saturday, going to the supermarket, travelling on public transport or any of the other things you will be doing on a daily basis here now.
These 3 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret evensteadiereddie IanMcL

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:03 am

Many, including me won't be doing those things here anytime soon. However, for those that do it or have to do, going to airports, and in particular going on a plane adds to the risk.
Last edited by summitclaret on Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2974 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:04 am

If a holiday abroad is so important to someone as to risk their health and general well being, and that of their
family and friends , then fill your boots.

I, for one, will be staying put.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:09 am

I will play it by ear and see what the restriction are like before I book. Thinking of the Canaries in November or December but as always will book a week before we travel

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:20 am

So still have a trip planned in 3 weeks time and a football trip also in Oct .

Everything is still up in the air and can change by the day , if i have to take 2 weeks at home when i get back i am perpared for it , we will find out on the 6th or 9th July what the EU decide as of airbridges .

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:28 am

Funkydrummer wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:04 am
If a holiday abroad is so important to someone as to risk their health and general well being, and that of their
family and friends , then fill your boots.

I, for one, will be staying put.
What's risks do you think there are in going to, for example lanzarote, where deaths are in single figures?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:43 am

Grumps wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:28 am
What's risks do you think there are in going to, for example lanzarote, where deaths are in single figures?
If you could just rock up in Lanzarote. Next to none.

But you cant. You have to get to the airport. hang around in the airport. Mingle with tonnes of other people indoors. Then get on a big metal tube with 300 other people breatheing the same recycled air in. Land at another airport. Then make your way to the resort (either with others or in a mode of transport that has been used by others). And then get to the resort where you will likely be staying with plenty of others that have just landed from other parts of europe outside of Lanzarote.

Other than that, no risks at all.
This user liked this post: Blackrod

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:47 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:43 am
If you could just rock up in Lanzarote. Next to none.

But you cant. You have to get to the airport. hang around in the airport. Mingle with tonnes of other people indoors. Then get on a big metal tube with 300 other people breatheing the same recycled air in. Land at another airport. Then make your way to the resort (either with others or in a mode of transport that has been used by others). And then get to the resort where you will likely be staying with plenty of others that have just landed from other parts of europe outside of Lanzarote.

Other than that, no risks at all.
But social distancing will just be the same in those places as here. Planes have excellent filter systems and face masks have to be worn. I don't see any higher risks there than here, plus more time spent outdoors, where its safer anyway.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:15 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:47 am
But social distancing will just be the same in those places as here. Planes have excellent filter systems and face masks have to be worn. I don't see any higher risks there than here, plus more time spent outdoors, where its safer anyway.
So why do I and others get a sore throat etc every time I go on a plane? Save your money until next year and treat yourself to a special holiday.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:17 pm

Airports are pretty miserable experiences at the best of times. Add in face masks, extra queues and social distancing then there's not a chance I'd put myself through it this summer.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:22 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:15 pm
So why do I and others get a sore throat etc every time I go on a plane? Save your money until next year and treat yourself to a special holiday.
Normally down to the dry air, you'd probably find you'd suffer the same if you were in a room with the air con turned up.
I don't think you are catching the sore throat from other passengers

I'll go this year, and next year, all booked. Might fit a few more in next year all being well

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:28 pm

You don’t have to go to school if you think is it’s not safe, you can’t visit who you want when you want, you can’t mix too many households together, some shops won’t let too many in at once, you have to wear a mask or sit outside at the pub ( once open) but you can sit in a metal tube with strangers breathing in the same air and hang around airports. It’s a gamble designed to save airlines. If people can’t live without their holiday they know the risks and nobody need have any sympathy if they drop dead with Coronavirus. It’s the poor b*ggers they are passing it on too home and abroad I am concerned about sling with the NHS who pick up the pieces. I expect the chavs dropping litter on the beaches and the people who think they are immune to it who will be quick to book cheap holidays to Benidorm and the like.

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:31 pm

We’ve been down this road before. Apart from the simple fact that the risk of infection is far higher on a plane, what about the risk of importing the infection into one of these (presently) low risk countries?
The whole thing is absurd and driven by commerce.....which seems to have battered Science into silence.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:41 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:09 am
I will play it by ear and see what the restriction are like before I book. Thinking of the Canaries in November or December but as always will book a week before we travel
You could take in a Championship game whilst you're down there if fans are back in stadiums
These 2 users liked this post: Top Claret cricketfieldclarets

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:45 pm

At present 1 person in 1700 have the virus.
So what's the percentage chance of one of those being one of the 200 on my plane, then the chance of them being close enough, for long enough to pass it on, add in that everyone will be wearing a mask. It's not a big risk in reality. But each to their own.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:48 pm

Life goes on people. If you’re waiting for a vaccine or effective treatment before you’re willing to go on holiday you may be waiting some time.

If you don’t want to fly then that’s your choice. But if appropriate measures are put in place and it is deemed safe to fly then I don’t think you should be getting preachy to the people who choose to travel.
Last edited by Rileybobs on Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Grumps

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:03 pm

I'm not aware that I was getting "preachy" or that anyone else was for that matter. Merely giving my point
of view with the caveat that, if you're happy with the extra risks, then go ahead and travel abroad.

Provided you dont mix with me or my friends and family, then I'm absolutely fine with that. The problem
is that I cant be sure to not mix with anyone who has taken the extra risk. Thereby hangs my dilemma.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:11 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:03 pm
I'm not aware that I was getting "preachy" or that anyone else was for that matter. Merely giving my point
of view with the caveat that, if you're happy with the extra risks, then go ahead and travel abroad.

Provided you dont mix with me or my friends and family, then I'm absolutely fine with that. The problem
is that I cant be sure to not mix with anyone who has taken the extra risk. Thereby hangs my dilemma.
My comment wasn’t aimed at you or I would have quoted you, but upon checking your initial post on this thread I would suggest that it comes across as preachy. As do the posts of some others.

If other people want to take small risks by going to the supermarket, eating in restaurants, travelling by train or plane then as long as it’s permitted they are perfectly entitled to do so.

It takes two parties to mix. If you want to avoid mixing with these people then you can do so by isolating at home.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:12 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:

But how do I know that you haven't been in someone's house, pub, shop, bus, train, supermarket, library, hospital, doctors, opticians or anywhere else where there is a risk. So how do I stop you mixing with me.
I'll wager now, that more people will pass it on when they start visiting different houses next week, with nobody to police what happens, than anyone coming back from a less infectious country.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:15 pm

I’m thinking of taking the ferry to France and heading for the Alps. I don’t think that is any more dangerous that going to the supermarket.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:23 pm

There has always been a risk Grumps, of which there are many out there, without unnecessarily adding to them.

Everyday essential living has it's added risks due to this coronabastard pandemic without the need to add to them
in the desire to travel outside this country and then return.

I get your point entirely, but all these lifting of restrictions over time are as a result of what ?
Nothing has changed as far as I can ascertain.

Crazy, crazy times.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:30 pm

Hopefully I'll be in Greece in July. I'll be less risk there than here and will wear a suitable face mask on the airplane and at other times take measures to socially distance where appropriate.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:34 pm

All being well we're going to Lisbon to visit my girlfriends parents in mid-July. Fortunately working from home isn't a problem for me so if there's no "air bridge" by then, I'm more than happy to self-isolate upon my return. My other half is an A&E nurse, and therefore on the list of exemptions from self isolation on return, she's also recently been tested for COVID and has apparently already had it (me too presumably as we live together).

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:46 pm

Hoping for Kenya in the last couple of months of the year. In the middle of the Great Plains with no more than a dozen people.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1295 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:12 pm

We have deferred our holiday until next year, hopefully things will be a bit better then. My wife is shielding and didn’t fancy a fortnight of wearing masks, talking through Perspex screens and diving under tables every time we hear someone cough. Still far too risky in my opinion.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:29 pm

I've no issue with anyone going away if they want. Everyone has their own risk profile. Ordinarily I would be relaxed about anything. But my personal circumstances are different now than say two years ago and its not only me i need to consider. Take into account at risk family and friends and this t...

ralphc
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by ralphc » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:36 pm

I wonder once the regulations are relaxed whether holiday companies will stick to their normal terms & conditions meaning anybody with a family holiday already booked not having the option to cancel?

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:42 pm

We'll be touring Normandy in a motorhome. We won't be dining in bistros or drinking in bars unless it's al fresco. If the weather is poor, we'll head south and chase the sunshine. Looking forward to stocking up on wine before the B-word kicks in. We were supposed to be flying to Kefalonia to stay in a villa, but it can wait until next year.

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:09 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:

You can be sure not to mix with anyone who has taken the extra risk. It's exactly what lockdown was for. you stay in your home, you get food delivered, you collect furlough pay, you don't go anywhere.

There are two different approaches to lockdown implicitly referred to in your post. There is the one that the government is recommending; and there is the one, more strict, that you are recommending. I have nothing to say about which is the right approach; but you have. You are being critical of people who are following the government approach rather than the funkydrummer approach; and it's unreasonable IMO to expect people to follow your advice in preference to the government's.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:19 pm

Greece announces that its extending the UK Travel ban. So Greece is off the cards!