Discontent in the camp

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Discontent in the camp

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:51 pm

:lol: :lol:

Aye alright.

Two very professional performances in Less than a week.
Tubbed at city 5-0? What’s new? They’ve put five or more past us 7 times in the last 20 years. The only defeat in the last ten.

Every one of them played for the manager, the club and themselves tonight.

Players out of position. Our Three first choice strikers missing. Our reserve left back in midfield. No right winger. A 20 year old winger in centre midfield. Our most experienced premier league midfielder coming off injured replaced with Kevin Long. Every single one of them worked their socks off.

Another clean sheet taking us to first place in that respect. And our leader getting the winning goal. Never a more deserved winner.

Into the Europa league places.

People are trying to create a story that doesn’t exist by saying all isn’t well. People are trying to create a story that doesn’t exist by saying the club is in decline and won’t return. The media pre match touting Dyche for every job. He’s going nowhere.

The board have done the right thing With contract negotiations and extensions.

The manager has done brilliantly with his starting eleven choices.

Our seasons are never defined by games v Man City and co. They’re defined by games against our last two opponents. And we’ve shut them both out and grafted like hell.

Let’s hope the fans are allowed back in soon. The team deserve them to see performances like that.

UTC.
These 27 users liked this post: Burnley Ace Ptangyangkipperbang chekhov Bosscat Leisure Gordaleman Woonderbah Silkyskills1 Gerry Hattrick Atticus62 LeadBelly Andy J Andy J Goodclaret Stayingup evensteadiereddie Frenchclaret SussexDon1inIreland levraiclaret nil_desperandum claretfern scouseclaret Stacky_claret KateR morpheus2 MT03ALG turfytopper

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Re: Discontent in the camp

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:57 pm

Let's be clear, Sean Dyche and his players are performing miracles, but let's not use this as a vindication of the boards shocking decisions (or lack of). These results are in spite of the board, not because of. This may improve our chances of an investor.
These 3 users liked this post: JohnDearyMe Cirrus_Minor PJMOZ

chekhov
Been Liked: 804 times
Has Liked: 1513 times

Post by chekhov » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:57 pm

Here, here

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6899 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:00 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:57 pm
Let's be clear, Sean Dyche and his players are performing miracles, but let's not use this as a vindication of the boards shocking decisions (or lack of). These results are in spite of the board, not because of. This may improve our chances of an investor.
What are the shocking decisions?

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:00 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Shocking decisions???

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:01 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
What a load of shite.

Dyche has worked wonders but so have the board.

It's not Dyche that has to put money in himself if it all goes wrong.
These 4 users liked this post: JimmyRobbo Colburn_Claret KateR MT03ALG

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:02 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Well. It’s proved we didn’t need to spend an extra £50k a week plus on Lennon and hart. Board vindicated.

It’s proved Hendrick isn’t irreplaceable. And isn’t worth breaking our pay structure for. Sure he cost £10m. But breaking the bank to keep what is ultimately a bit part player Isn’t the right thing to do. If we bump the whole squads wages by the same percentage a week that’s probably close to being enough to buy a backup for brownhill who takes Hendricks role.

They stuck to their guns on bardsley. An aging full back who nobody else would’ve spent lots on. He’s signed and played.
These 3 users liked this post: Andy J MT03ALG turfytopper

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:00 pm
What are the shocking decisions?
The laxidazical (sp?) approach to transfer windows since the summer of 2018 at least. I'm surprised you feel the need to ask that in all honesty. This doesn't just go away because of two excellent results. Things need sorting out at boardroom level.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:05 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 pm
The laxidazical (sp?) approach to transfer windows since the summer of 2018 at least. I'm surprised you feel the need to ask that in all honesty. This doesn't just go away because of two excellent results. Things need sorting out at boardroom level.
I honestly feel that in part is equally down to the managers stubbornness and strategy.

But tonight’s not the night to complain about either.

Both have done incredibly for us these last eight years.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:06 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 pm
I can’t see any shocking decisions which you refer to. That’s why I’m asking the question. Truly bizarre.

This isn’t based on 2 results, it’s based on 5 consecutive seasons in the Premier League and our current position in the table.
These 5 users liked this post: Ptangyangkipperbang Stalbansclaret levraiclaret KateR MT03ALG

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:06 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:01 pm
What a load of shite.

Dyche has worked wonders but so have the board.

It's not Dyche that has to put money in himself if it all goes wrong.
No it’s not the Board either

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:07 pm

Dyche teams seem to step up when we have to play the hand that been dealt - especially when key players are out. Although our squads are often small, the team always seem to up their game every season.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets MT03ALG

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:10 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:07 pm
Dyche teams seem to step up when we have to play the hand that been dealt - especially when key players are out. Although our squads are often small, the team always seem to up their game every season.
The character of our players, to a man, is fantastic. The way they worked tirelessly to throw bodies in front of the ball tonight was a joy to watch. Probably another reason why we are very selective with our transfer targets because these lads all seem to give everything for the cause.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:13 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:06 pm
I can’t see any shocking decisions which you refer to. That’s why I’m asking the question. Truly bizarre.

This isn’t based on 2 results, it’s based on 5 consecutive seasons in the Premier League and our current position in the table.
Notice I put 'lack of' in brackets. It's been well documented on this board about the recruitment process in recent years. Like I said, we are where we are largely because of SD. He clearly thinks the board could be doing more, I agree with him and nothing the added benefit of hindsight does nothing to change that.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:13 pm

If you think about it: the fact that we pay agents less than any other established PL club is probably the reason we don't get the pick of what's on offer... and our pay structure probably doesn't help a lot

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:14 pm

We are safe, we have 45 points, tying with Spurs. Incredible performance for a small town club. If this can be achieved then lets try resolve the issues between manager and Board-at least these are within our control
These 2 users liked this post: levraiclaret longsidepies

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:16 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:13 pm
Notice I put 'lack of' in brackets. It's been well documented on this board about the recruitment process in recent years. Like I said, we are where we are largely because of SD. He clearly thinks the board could be doing more, I agree with him and nothing the added benefit of hindsight does nothing to change that.
The board pay Dyche a lot of money to get the best out of our limited resources. The same limited resources that Dyche knew about when he signed his contract.

The board made the superb decision to hire this fantastic manager who can work wonders with these limited resources. We’ve been nowhere near relegation from this division for 4 years so I dare say our recruitment has been pretty good. I’m struggling to see what these shocking decisions are.
These 4 users liked this post: chekhov Goodclaret levraiclaret MT03ALG

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:18 pm

I bet there's always plenty of discountents in the camp. Especially if people have shopped at Winfields or grabbed a bargain online.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:20 pm

Kieran Trippier would make him smile.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat Stayingup Atticus62

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8428 times
Has Liked: 18097 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:20 pm
Kieran Trippier would make him smile.
Tripps would have 19000 smiling faces at Turf Moor Ian....
😁😁😁
👍😎👍
This user liked this post: IanMcL

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:28 pm

Including me....and Mee.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:34 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:16 pm
The board pay Dyche a lot of money to get the best out of our limited resources. The same limited resources that Dyche knew about when he signed his contract.

The board made the superb decision to hire this fantastic manager who can work wonders with these limited resources. We’ve been nowhere near relegation from this division for 4 years so I dare say our recruitment has been pretty good. I’m struggling to see what these shocking decisions are.

Perhaps shocking was too strong of a word. Nonsensical would be more appropriate for my point. The board made a brilliant decision in appointing dyche I agree. I'm referring to our transfer windows. The tedious bids for players that were never going to get accepted, the decision not to sign a 4th CB in what was our 7th placed season which with hindsight we didn't need but we had the luck with injuries that year and now the not renewing contracts. From the outside looking in it does appear there is a distinct lack of communication between the board and manager if the manager is still none the wiser on players he asked for renewals 18 months prior. At the very least he should be informed that they wouldnt be getting renewals and the reasons for this. For dyche to publicly criticise like he has suggests he hasn't been. It's easy to say great decision by the board not to renew contracts when we are getting good results like tonight but my opinion remains that the situation we have found ourselves in with struggling to name a propper bench isn't good enough pandemic or no pandemic.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:37 pm

Sean Dyche quote from interview on Amazon Prime "The fabric of the club has changed somewhat in the last 100 days so that has been interesting to compute and make sense of but you saw a group fully motivated as am I."

No doubt that will be chewed over and examined in more detail.
Last edited by kentonclaret on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:40 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:34 pm
Perhaps shocking was too strong of a word. Nonsensical would be more appropriate for my point. The board made a brilliant decision in appointing dyche I agree. I'm referring to our transfer windows. The tedious bids for players that were never going to get accepted, the decision not to sign a 4th CB in what was our 7th placed season which with hindsight we didn't need but we had the luck with injuries that year and now the not renewing contracts. From the outside looking in it does appear there is a distinct lack of communication between the board and manager if the manager is still none the wiser on players he asked for renewals 18 months prior. At the very least he should be informed that they wouldnt be getting renewals and the reasons for this. For dyche to publicly criticise like he has suggests he hasn't been. It's easy to say great decision by the board not to renew contracts when we are getting good results like tonight but my opinion remains that the situation we have found ourselves in with struggling to name a propper bench isn't good enough pandemic or no pandemic.
But the situation is largely down to the pandemic. We had 5 key players out tonight also and finished the game with 6 out. The only way to insure against that is to carry a larger squad of players, which clearly isn't sustainable for a club like ours.

The transfer windows can be frustrating, and I'm sure they are to Dyche. But the acid test is the results on the pitch not number of names on the squad list. This board have got a hell of a lot more right than wrong.
These 2 users liked this post: levraiclaret MT03ALG

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:42 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:34 pm
We've lost one decent player in this contract nonsense and judging by tonight's performance from Brownhill, we've already replaced him. Other than that, the bench was down to injuries and Covid 19. Had it not been for Covid 19, the now departed players would have completed the season. I don't quite know how you can blame anyone for Covid 19. Add to that the fact that we couldn't use players that have been on loan and that's why the bench was bare, not because of Garlick and the board.
These 5 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 levraiclaret summitclaret chekhov Burnley Ace

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:45 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:37 pm
Sean Dyche quote from interview on Amazon Prime "The fabric of the club has changed somewhat in the last 100 days so that has been interesting to compute and make sense of."

And indeed it has, there appears to be 3's a crowd scenario and Sean appears to be the 3rd man right now. Heres hoping last in first out !!

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:04 pm

I don’t think Hughes has ever worked with a limited budget and succeeded so the chairman needs to be acting very carefully over the next month or so.

I wasn’t impressed at all by our play earlier this season but we have turned things round fantastically and are playing some good stuff and getting results.

We obviously can’t stretch our budget more than we have so there needs to be some wheeling and dealing going on. If Dyche reckons he will get an unlimited chequebook elsewhere post COVID then there’s not much we can do. I doubt clubs will be spending loads until they know what’s going on, that part of it seems a bit out of touch with reality tbh.

Dyche should be having last say on anyone that comes into the team, that should be a given seeing as he’s coaching them.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:25 pm

Appears Garlick has “ promoted” Rigg somehow in the player “ final decision” stakes ? Sean is being perhaps forced into a reluctant threesome and is prepared to only swallow so much . This looks like SD has been given a choice to make and its about 40/60 against that he.’Lloris stay I think . Dyche IS Burnley and Burnley is Dyche for me .

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:39 pm

For Dyche to be quoted as saying that "the fabric of the club has changed" then he is referring to the basic structure that has held it together thus far.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:57 pm

The last two performances have, in all sorts of difficult circumstances, been outstanding and show the unbelievable character of the team. Whether or not it’s in spite of, or facilitated by, our board I’m still not sure.

I do think the contract situation has been overplayed
- we only lost one player we didn’t want to lose, and if tonight’s showing is anything to go by, we already have a better one. That said, our consistent parsimony over several transfer windows has led us to a point where we are literally running out of players.

My hope is that SD is using the situation to leverage a loosening of the purse strings, that Garlick listens and that the both of them will take the club forward again next season.

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:09 am

We should have had a fantastic opportunity in my opinion, having offloaded, Hart, Lennon, legzedins, and Hendrick, and had Brady been on the end of this list, it would have enabled us to bring in 3 quality signings in my opinion, the fact Brady is still in the camp somewhat tempers this, but with the injuries back and a couple of highly rated youngsters come through it would all add up to a pretty decent squad in my book. 2 rather pressing questions lie with what exactly happened with Hendrick and why is Brady still at the club when he can only stay fit for 6 games a season at best, personally I would have preferred still to have Hendrick, but only in his best position cm, a position that Sean wasn't keen to play him, this imo provides a possible part answer to why he's left, along with the financial side of course. I remember reading an article a couple or 3 years ago now in the press, suggesting that Mr dyche was appointed not only for his manager qualities but for what he offered the club in financial know how, given the restraints of the club and size of budgets etc. With this in mind, one has to wonder how much of the apparent issues with Mr garlick is of Sean's own making, if of course the report's are true, most managers would be banging garlick's door down, let's hope they can meet somewhere in the middle, because if Sean can carry on getting results like tonight, it really does make you wonder what could be done if garlick loosens the purse strings, but no more signings like Hart or Lennon please.UTC's

Claretnick
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 191 times

Post by Claretnick » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:15 am

The gaffer seems positive enough in his quotes to the BBC;
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52072986

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:40 am

I watched the game here, showing MG in the stands all alone with his face mask on, I swear his eyes were twinkling late on. I love what SD has done but equally the board has played its part quietly in the background, storm in a teacup I think and we will be kicking off the new season with SD in charge plus a few new faces in the squad.

Barnes will be like a new signing as will Brady :)
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:03 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:37 pm
Sean Dyche quote from interview on Amazon Prime "The fabric of the club has changed somewhat in the last 100 days so that has been interesting to compute and make sense of but you saw a group fully motivated as am I."

That could just as easily mean that the financial situation of the club (and the game) has changed - just as it looked like we were continuing to grow the financial reserves