Ayew

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Re: Ayew

Post by Stayingup » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:33 pm

dermotdermot wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:13 pm
Definitely should have gone. I cannot understand that one at all. The referee looked as if he had already made his mind up before the VAR was implemented.
I wonder if its that difficult to understand?

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:17 am

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:22 pm
Benteke's a funny one, he had that purple patch at Villa, that earned him the big money move to Liverpool, and ever since then his career has gone backwards.
A couple of years ago Palace were playing at Leicester. I watched this on TV and after around twenty minutes I was thinking what a waste of space Benteke was (this was the season we beat them 1-0 at the Turf and they dominated the game but Benteke and his colleagues had missed loads of chances). On twenty minutes Benteke scored a good goal and after that he was brilliant - worked hard closing down and was a constant threat both setting up and creating his own chances.

Unfortunately it seems he does this only once or twice a season.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:43 pm

Hipper wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:17 am
A couple of years ago Palace were playing at Leicester. I watched this on TV and after around twenty minutes I was thinking what a waste of space Benteke was (this was the season we beat them 1-0 at the Turf and they dominated the game but Benteke and his colleagues had missed loads of chances). On twenty minutes Benteke scored a good goal and after that he was brilliant - worked hard closing down and was a constant threat both setting up and creating his own chances.

Unfortunately it seems he does this only once or twice a season.
Well he's got one solitary goal to his name this season, in almost a 1000 minutes of playing time, and he's been goal shy for 3 seasons now, i know strikers go through bad spells, but 3 seasons is crazy. And by Palace standards they paid big money for him, he can hardly be considered a success, he had a good 1st season, and since then nothing.

I watched him in the Bournemouth-Palace game recently, and he worked hard, held the ball up reasonably well, but the couple of chances he got, he never looked confident in himself to score, and ultimately strikers are judged on their goal output.