REPORT: Prime time viewing at Crystal Palace

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32372 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

REPORT: Prime time viewing at Crystal Palace

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:27 am

Crystal Palace v Burnley report, an enjoyable one to write

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/prime-time ... tal-palace
These 7 users liked this post: martin_p Paul Waine levraiclaret winsomeyen spadesclaret evensteadiereddie KateR

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1049 times

Re: REPORT: Prime time viewing at Crystal Palace

Post by CleggHall » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 am

" a wonderful, away performance" - says it all!

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1694 times
Has Liked: 2530 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:59 am

I'm repeating myself from.last week but the more I see McNeil in central midfield the more.I'm convinced that is where his future lays. Glides across the pitch, can beat a man with pace.or trickery and always has his head up.looking for openings. Considering the injuries etc. that was an excellent performance with the 'toughness' I expect from.a.Sean Dyche side in full view after the break.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:01 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:59 am
I'm repeating myself from.last week but the more I see McNeil in central midfield the more.I'm convinced that is where his future lays. Glides across the pitch, can beat a man with pace.or trickery and always has his head up.looking for openings. Considering the injuries etc. that was an excellent performance with the 'toughness' I expect from.a.Sean Dyche side in full view after the break.
Sean said last season that maybe McNeil's future was in central midfield and in fact he's played there before in brief spells.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:03 pm

One point on McNeil. We were chatting in the closing minutes of the game (video call of course, not a house full) and how much stronger Dwight is now. Last season he’d have been struggling at the end. Not any longer.

There is nothing a Burnley fan likes more than an against the odds win. That, last night, was right up there.
These 3 users liked this post: Paul Waine Silkyskills1 longsidepies

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:09 pm

My favourite comment on the performance comes from The Guardian’s report,

‘Truly, this is a club continuing to defy not just gravity, not just sporting economics, but occasionally even simple logic.’
These 8 users liked this post: Leisure summitclaret BenWickes BleedingClaret evensteadiereddie KateR Ashingtonclaret46 Rowls

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:11 pm

Good write up, CT. Another great result at the Palace. I think I'm right in recalling that Kevin Long was a starter when we last won there in our "no away wins until April" season.

If I may, can I suggest a little edit: Ashley Westwood didn't find Ben Mee with the free kick. Ben found the ball, attacked it, won it and headed it home. I don't know if I heard Ben correctly on Amazon Prime post match, I think he said that Ashley had mis-hit the fk, suggesting that the training ground plan was to find Tarks at the back.

Best piece of transfer business we've done in a long time was keeping Ben Mee at t'Turf, even if didn't fit with Ben Gibson's ambitions.

Re the 3 coaches, I wonder if one is kitted out with a treatment table and another with a cryo-pool? The "patching up" and recovery needed to start as soon as the game was over. At least the traffic would be light for a run back to Cheshire and NE Lancs late night.

It's good that we've now got 5 games with no games before our Claret and Blue heroes all "go again."

UTC

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:14 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:03 pm
One point on McNeil. We were chatting in the closing minutes of the game (video call of course, not a house full) and how much stronger Dwight is now. Last season he’d have been struggling at the end. Not any longer.

There is nothing a Burnley fan likes more than an against the odds win. That, last night, was right up there.
Yes, I fully agree with Dwight. He kept going for 90 mins. So much stronger than he was last season.

And, we are all Burnley fans because we know that we are always "against the odds."

UTC
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

claretburns
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:33 pm

Good report, would disagree with the Tarkowski challenge though, clear foul and yellow card offence in my opinion.

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:33 pm

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but the report in the Guardian which martin_p has quoted (great quote that, martin) is very, very positive and the journalist's views seem to echo a lot of Clarets' opinions re. Dwight and his more central role.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... WuB360uQJg

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:34 pm

Again from the Guardian
“Somehow, ridiculously, the Burnley bus trundles on no matter how many wheels fall off!!”

matttheclaret
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by matttheclaret » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:56 pm

Very good report.

Sounds hopeful that a couple of players might be back for Sunday. If Jay and maybe one of JBG/Brady is fit, gives us a bit more options

Sozturf7
Been Liked: 89 times

Post by Sozturf7 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:04 pm

I don't like the Guardian, BUT I love these comments from them.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:09 pm

I thought McNeil was excellent in his more midfield role yesterday, he was more involved in the game and his class was allowed to be seen. Also, I said on here a few days ago that Brownhill will be a much better player than Hendrick, I am now more convinced that this will be the case.
This user liked this post: BleedingClaret

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:10 pm

Champion and McCoist likening him to Waddle last night in the commentary. He's not that ugly surely?

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Great report CT, thanks.

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 986 times
Has Liked: 1659 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:03 pm

Yes I commented during the game that he looks like he’s filled out somewhat and I think that means he’s not getting knocked about as much and he’s muscling past opponents rather than being engaged in a tussle so I think that’s taking less out of him.
When he first came to prominence teams were doubling up on him, this year he’s been attracting a trio of opponents, last night at one point there were 3 opponents around him and a fourth thinking of joining in, talk about creating space for others.
A further facet to his game will be realising that he can play the ball into that space rather than taking the world on every time, although that is exciting.
Noticeably to me that cos Vydra is threatening to break the line when Dwight breaks through midfield there’s a gap to the defence.
A dangerous combination

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:21 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:11 pm
Good write up, CT. Another great result at the Palace. I think I'm right in recalling that Kevin Long was a starter when we last won there in our "no away wins until April" season.
It was Tarky’s first start in the Premier League alongside Michael Keane. Long was an unused sub.

https://www.uptheclarets.com/im-feeling-glad-all-over
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:23 pm

ecc wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:33 pm
I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but the report in the Guardian which martin_p has quoted (great quote that, martin) is very, very positive and the journalist's views seem to echo a lot of Clarets' opinions re. Dwight and his more central role.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... WuB360uQJg
It’s Jonathan Liew. He’s the journalist who a couple of years ago said on Sunday Supplement that he enjoys watching Burnley more than any other team.

He’s a superb writer.

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:29 pm

Well he certainly gave us a great write-up there, Tony.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:34 pm

ecc wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:29 pm
Well he certainly gave us a great write-up there, Tony.
He would definitely have gone to The Athletic but he didn’t want to lose his opportunity to write about cricket. He’s one of the best football journalists around now in my view.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1640 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:36 pm

Good reports, including the Guardian, and an enjoyable high tempo night.

If Dyche is off, he will like the idea of leaving us having qualified for Europe, the challenge needn’t then concern him. If he isn’t off, you can see why he may not fancy it, but there was no sign of that last night.

McNeil was the standout but his new role also saw him giving the ball away often very close to our goal, against Watford he made a crucial intervention at both ends, last night could have been the opposite story, we got away with that a bit. Generally though he did very well at finding space.

I’m thinking that the self motivation and “up for it” style suits us in empty stadiums, when many other players struggle to motivate themselves. Europe is a distinct chance - Arsenal’s run in is shocking, and the Blades are falling back. With Wolves on the rise we need to finish above both to have a chance. Four wins from six will be enough.

kendaldave
Been Liked: 45 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by kendaldave » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:54 pm

My favourite quote from the Guardian report is Ben Mee's winning goal described as 'a header with the control and guile of a Van Basten volley'. Some praise!

ClaretPope
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 437 times

Post by ClaretPope » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:26 pm

Tony, good report on a great performance. However, I don’t share your view of Amazon Prime “during the excellent coverage on Amazon Prime”. How many times did they hold focus on Dyche, Hodgson, Bright, Garlick and individual players and missed part of the action?

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5156 times

Post by Rowls » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:28 pm

martin_p wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:09 pm
My favourite comment on the performance comes from The Guardian’s report,

‘Truly, this is a club continuing to defy not just gravity, not just sporting economics, but occasionally even simple logic.’
That alone was enough for me to search and read their report.

It's true too.

What a tonic the last two performances have been after the Citeh result and the plane debacle.