Thanks, Good Luck and Cheerio

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Thanks, Good Luck and Cheerio

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:50 pm

To our players, who officially, leave Burnley Football Club, today.

Thank you for giving it your all and for contributing to the success of our club and team.

Good luck for the future.
These 9 users liked this post: huw.Y.WattfromWare Aclaret Zlatan claretfern evensteadiereddie k90bfc KateR NewClaret Colburn_Claret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Re: Thanks, Good Luck and Cheerio

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:52 pm

They don't - they become free agents today but are on the payroll until end of July.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:53 pm

Well said Ian. They are contracted to play football when the contract is up they have choices.
They’ve had different levels of success but none of them ever looked to be giving less than their best.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12359 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:05 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:52 pm
They don't - they become free agents today but are on the payroll until end of July.
Hope that those who have opted to not make themselves available for selection aren't being paid.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:09 pm

Leisure wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:05 pm
Hope that those who have opted to not make themselves available for selection aren't being paid.
They will be paid to end of contract or until they sign for another club. I don't think they opted, I think the decision was taken out of their hands.
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure Long Time Lurker

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:01 pm

Fantastic OP and I agree, thanks for your service and good luck for the future.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12359 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:09 pm
They will be paid to end of contract or until they sign for another club. I don't think they opted, I think the decision was taken out of their hands.
If that is the case then that decision seems strange when we couldn't even fill our bench.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:26 pm

Nods, they are still with us until July. Were it not for the downtime attributed to Corona the league would have finished at the scheduled date.

The downtime pushed the end date for the season forwards, beyond the contract lengths of all the affected players. For that reason any players in the final stages of their contracts would have had to sign short extensions to remain qualified for all of the remaining matches.

In terms of opting out, I also think the decision was made for the players who will be leaving us. Prior to recent events it doesn't sound like any of them were offered new contracts ( with the sole exception of Hendrick, who might have been offered a contract that was likely to promote a negative response ).

Naturally, that put all of the affected players in a very difficult position. Some of them might have wanted to play out their contracts, but the idea of potentially jeopardising their next move ( though injury ) probably made it unwise for them to do so. Risking your future livelihood to help out a club that is casting you aside in favour of a new recruitment strategy is also a difficult thing to do, especially when it conflicts with the advice given to the board by your manager and his ideas about what is needed to maintain / improve our performance on the pitch going forwards.

The line in the sand, regarding players that didn't sign a short extension, is that they can now talk to other clubs about signing for them. Theoretically, any of the players that are currently scheduled to leave us could still turn around and sign a new contract with us. However, they wouldn't be permitted to play in any matches that fall within this season and also fall outside of their current contract dates. I would also consider it very unlikely.

On the opposite side of the coin, the players in a similar position at every other club are also in the same position. That doesn't apply to foreign clubs, because we have been able to talk to all of their out of contract players for some time.

In some respects the current situation is different from the norm, but not that different when it comes to actually signing out of contract players. It is also why a lot of very important business could be done in the next few days or weeks.

Considering our finances, and the number of empty squad slots we might be looking to fill, it should be all hands to the wheel at the moment. We should be actively scouring the market for free transfer players that could offer us something for nothing ( plus signing on fees, agent fees and wage allocations ).

If we wait around, twiddling our thumbs instead of doing business, until the market actually opens ( followed by a delay until we have an idea how things will develop ) we could find ourselves missing out on a lot of attractive opportunities.

Ideally, we should have already identified any and all viable OOC targets. After the clarification of their future positions it should now be a case of go, go, go.

Widening things out further, all of our transfer targets for the upcoming window should be pretty fixed and clear at this point - along with a number of different strategic plans to manage what could be a very volatile market. If we are still churning out 40 new player reports every day, at this late stage of the game, then we are the epitome of " busy fools ".

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:48 pm

Leisure wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:08 pm
If that is the case then that decision seems strange when we couldn't even fill our bench.
The manager being what he is - respectful
This user liked this post: Leisure

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:08 pm

Suggestions out there that Koiki has rejected terms and will also be leaving

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:09 pm
If they are paid until the end of July, why was there a need for a contract extension?

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:45 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:08 pm
Suggestions out there that Koiki has rejected terms and will also be leaving
Yes now making headlines...

Exclusive: Burnley defender to quit immediately after rejecting new contract

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:49 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:48 pm
The manager being what he is - respectful
I get that, however, when asked before we had kicked a ball, he said he was hoping for some good will. All seems odd.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:29 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:45 pm
If they are paid until the end of July, why was there a need for a contract extension?
Because the contracts actually end, in terms of playing, at the end of June. Nothing has changed other than we don’t usually play at this time of year.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:20 pm

Just wondered why they are paid beyond. I suppose it stems from the old 'summer' contracts, when players were on a smaller retainer.

Anyway, all done, now. Just lucky we have some spare goalkeepers!
Hope we can get through this next month, intact. Europe would be very nice. Might encourage a signing or several!

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:36 pm

Strange Koiki wants away. Wonder why he does

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:12 am

mdd2 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:36 pm
Strange Koiki wants away. Wonder why he does
He even said why he wanted to move away. Lack of first team opportunities.

We already know the manager isn't keen on youth, preferring experience as backups instead. The only reason McNeil got a chance was because he was practically the only option.

With two left backs in Taylor and Pieters ahead of him, I'm not surprised. Especially when Koiki can play on the wing but Dyche would play Pieters or Taylor ahead of him.

Of course he probably isn't good enough to be given the chance, but that's a different discussion for another day. There are some players who I believe can up their game in competitive games despite not looking good enough in training.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:17 am

Its fashionable to thank players who leave,however,I draw the line at suggesting they gave their all.If that's the case I understand why they were released

colner
Been Liked: 42 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by colner » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:45 am

I have just flipped my BFC calendar to July and the poster boy is SD clapping leaving the field along with inserts of Loughlin,Woan and Billy Mercer. I hope this isnt an omen and the title of this thread isnt about them in the near future

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:23 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:17 am
Its fashionable to thank players who leave,however,I draw the line at suggesting they gave their all.If that's the case I understand why they were released
That's strange post Woodley!

You have a goalkeeper, who despite never playing anywhere near the first team, was retained and renewed, in the past. He is leaving, as we apparently have burgeoning youth, requiring games.

We had a former illustrious Englans keeper, who made some excellent saves, before being replaced by Tom Heaton, just because a change was needed to be tried. He never complained.

We have another former England winner, who was very often brought on in matches and ran his heart out, as required.

Finally, an Irish International, who was a mainstay of the first team and played wherever asked. Mostly mot in his favoured position No complaints and gave everything.

Best wishes to them all. They can all do the half time draw!