Worst Premier League XI this season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Worst Premier League XI this season

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:51 pm

Lloris- He's always been dodgy on crosses, but he's even worse this season, and his shot stopping is becoming questionable now.

Aurier- I know another Spurs player, but this guy is getting worse not better, and he was never that good to start with.

Luiz- Give me a solid no nonsense cb, over this guy any day, how he earned a new contract from Arteta blows my mind.

Hanley- He gives his all, but he's out of his depth at this level, as many suspected he would be.

Bertrand- He's lost his way this season, and looks past his best.

Ozil- He had to be in this line-up, 350k a week for that, and Arsenal can't even give him away.

Guendouzi- He sums up the problems at Arsenal, now wonder Arteta's trying to shift him on.

Lerma- His mistake for Newcastle's 1st goal the other night summed up his and Bournemouth's season.

Iwobi- When you splash out the money Everton did you expect more than 1 goal and 0 assists, he's supposed to be an attacking threat.

Solanke- He's on course for another barren season, and the Cherries wasted nearly £20m on this fraud.

Adams- 24 games and still to open his account for Southampton, we dodged a bullet with him.

Anyone else want to have a bash, i'm sure there's plenty of other flops that I've missed.
Last edited by tiger76 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Re: Worst Premier League XI this season

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:00 pm

Drinkwater?

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:14 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:00 pm
Drinkwater?
Hasn't really played enough has he, i tried to include players that have played a fair amount of games, Gibson would possibly have featured, but again he's not played, so can't really be judged, interestingly if i'd done that list at Xmas Pogba would probably have been on it, but whether it's the arrival of Fernandes, or a boot up the backside from Ole he's rediscovered his mojo in recent weeks.

What's frightening is the transfer fees some of that bunch want for, and people want us to throw money around, that's a stark warning that spending heavily on fees and wages guarantees nothing. As we and Villa found out with DD.

I included most of those as it's not just their displays on the pitch, but their off-field antics, and their disruptive influence on the club, that really caught my eye.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:15 pm

Joelinton (4 goals, £40m), Haller (7 goals, £45m) and Wesley (6 goals, £22m) must all be in with a shout given how much they cost and how many goals they have contributed (albeit to be fair to Wesley, Ben Mee made sure he wouldn’t be scoring any more)

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 pm

Harry Winks? Callum Wilson?

I'm basing that on stats, not quality.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:30 pm

kaptin1 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:15 pm
Joelinton (4 goals, £40m), Haller (7 goals, £45m) and Wesley (6 goals, £22m) must all be in with a shout given how much they cost and how many goals they have contributed (albeit to be fair to Wesley, Ben Mee made sure he wouldn’t be scoring any more)
I'd excuse Wesley, his record 1 in 4 is not brilliant, but it's a damn sight better than the others, Joelinton would be on the bench, but hes got 2 PL goals, that's £20m per goal, that's not a great ratio, Newcastle have been fortunate they've had the defensive nous to see out games by narrow margins, if they were staring at relegation, Joelinton wouldn't be cut the slack he has been.

Haller's about 1 in 4 as well, but for the money he cost you'd expect more, especially as West Ham are normally an attacking team.

But at least that trio have offered something to their clubs, Solanke and Evans have offered literally nothing, if you're a forward signed for big bucks your expected to put the ball in the onion bag now and again.

Benteke's another one, but at least he puts in a shift for Palace, and he looks like he cares, fans will tolerate a lot, as long as the players showing passion. in the English game that's a big contributor on winning the fans over.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:53 pm

Dele Alli and Zaha have been pretty ordinary.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:05 pm

Mings hasn't exactly shone.

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:10 pm

Whenever I get frustrated by our lack of transfers, I remember back to when everyone thought we should have broken the bank to sign Che Adams. A total waste of money by Southampton.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:11 pm

Wouldn't argue with most of them but there have been worse than Bertrand and Guendouzi.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:16 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:51 pm
Lloris- He's always been dodgy on crosses, but he's even worse this season, and his shot stopping is becoming questionable now.

Aurier- I know another Spurs player, but this guy is getting worse not better, and he was never that good to start with.

Luiz- Give me a solid no nonsense cb, over this guy any day, how he earned a new contract from Arteta blows my mind.

Hanley- He gives his all, but he's out of his depth at this level, as many suspected he would be.

Bertrand- He's lost his way this season, and looks past his best.

Ozil- He had to be in this line-up, 350k a week for that, and Arsenal can't even give him away.

Guendouzi- He sums up the problems at Arsenal, now wonder Arteta's trying to shift him on.

Lerma- His mistake for Newcastle's 1st goal the other night summed up his and Bournemouth's season.

Iwobi- When you splash out the money Everton did you expect more than 1 goal and 0 assists, he's supposed to be an attacking threat.

Solanke- He's on course for another barren season, and the Cherries wasted nearly £20m on this fraud.

Evans- 24 games and still to open his account for Southampton, we dodged a bullet with him.

Anyone else want to have a bash, i'm sure there's plenty of other flops that I've missed.
I assume you mean Che Adams, not Evans?

Ozil tore Liverpool apart in a cup game in October at Anfield. Absolutely ran the show. Think he and Guendouzi just have bad attitudes. Wouldn't have them in this XI because they are clearly talented. Can't argue with the rest of them though.

fanzone
Been Liked: 226 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:25 pm

Lingard
These 2 users liked this post: huw.Y.WattfromWare Foulthrow

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:30 pm

claret2018 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:10 pm
Whenever I get frustrated by our lack of transfers, I remember back to when everyone thought we should have broken the bank to sign Che Adams. A total waste of money by Southampton.
It’s an interesting one. Had we signed him, I wonder how much he’d have been used - he could well have been another that is integrated very slowly. That could be what is happening at Southampton.

The problem is, spend this sort of money (huge for us, not so in Premier League terms) and fans start to expect an immediate starter.

I’ve not seen much of him when he has played so I’m not sure how they are using him. We may have deployed him differently.

A failure for one team could be a huge success for another.

timshorts
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:40 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:30 pm
I'd excuse Wesley, his record 1 in 4 is not brilliant, but it's a damn sight better than the others, Joelinton would be on the bench, but hes got 2 PL goals, that's £20m per goal, that's not a great ratio, Newcastle have been fortunate they've had the defensive nous to see out games by narrow margins, if they were staring at relegation, Joelinton wouldn't be cut the slack he has been.

Haller's about 1 in 4 as well, but for the money he cost you'd expect more, especially as West Ham are normally an attacking team.

But at least that trio have offered something to their clubs, Solanke and Evans have offered literally nothing, if you're a forward signed for big bucks your expected to put the ball in the onion bag now and again.

Benteke's another one, but at least he puts in a shift for Palace, and he looks like he cares, fans will tolerate a lot, as long as the players showing passion. in the English game that's a big contributor on winning the fans over.
I'd still rather have joelinton than Dwight gayle. Joelinton puts in a defensive shift and is often playing out wide. He can score when he doesn't have time to think.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1778 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:35 pm

Sanchez at Spuds always looks dreadful to me.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5522 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:46 pm

Hendricks

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:51 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:35 pm
Sanchez at Spuds always looks dreadful to me.
Yes but i didn't want to pick the whole Spurs back line, tempting though that was. ;)

Claretitus
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by Claretitus » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:46 am

BenWickes wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:16 pm
I assume you mean Che Adams, not Evans?

Ozil tore Liverpool apart in a cup game in October at Anfield. Absolutely ran the show. Think he and Guendouzi just have bad attitudes. Wouldn't have them in this XI because they are clearly talented. Can't argue with the rest of them though.

Liverpool fielded a team of kids that night, admittedly it wasn't Arsenals' first X1 either. Ozil should be running the game- experienced German international. His biggest problem whilst he's been in England is that he often is brilliant in games against the bottom 12 teams, but is average at best against the better teams. Not what you want from a guy "earning" £350K a week.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:58 am

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:30 pm
The money he cost? Under dispute as West Ham not forthcoming with the payments.
Relegate them.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:04 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:58 am
The money he cost? Under dispute as West Ham not forthcoming with the payments.
Relegate them.
I don't think they can be relegated, however they might find themselves under a transfer embargo, if they don't cough up, makes you wonder how severe their financial problems really are. Especially in light of relegation being unaffordable for them, it looks like the Hammers are now going to pay the due instalment anyway, but it's still embarrassing for them, although i don't know if messrs Brady, Gold & Sullivan ever get embarrassed about anything.