The Arts

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

The Arts

Post by CombatClaret » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:29 pm

Contributions to UK Economy:

Fishing 1.4 billion
Football 7.6 billion
Aviation 22 billion
Arts 23 billion

No money where there's no votes, happy for people to be crammed in a metal tube in the sky but won't allow a distanced audience for gigs, shows etc.
Why the press & people are obsessed with fishing is beyond me.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Re: The Arts

Post by KateR » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:37 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:29 pm

Fishing 1.4 billion
Football 7.6 billion
Aviation 22 billion
Arts 23 billion

No money where there's no votes, happy for people to be crammed in a metal tube in the sky but won't allow a distanced audience for gigs, shows etc.
Why the press & people are obsessed with fishing is beyond me.
well obviously as you say there are a lot more people who are interested in fishing & football than the other two but the difference in aviation & the arts is close but I think aviation has a lot more of infrastructure and associated businesses around it than the arts does so in actual numbers I think the figures are a little misleading unless of course your numbers for aviation includes the whole supply chain but intuitively the number looks small for me for aviation, just a thought

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:01 pm

KateR wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:37 pm
well obviously as you say there are a lot more people who are interested in fishing & football than the other two but the difference in aviation & the arts is close but I think aviation has a lot more of infrastructure and associated businesses around it than the arts does so in actual numbers I think the figures are a little misleading unless of course your numbers for aviation includes the whole supply chain but intuitively the number looks small for me for aviation, just a thought
Who's actually interested in the fishing industry, could anyone tell me a company? I feel it's only became a 'big issue' because of the B word despite it being very small in term of actual impact on the UK.

The aviation number does included most of the supply chain - Two documents below putting Aviation at £22bn in 2015/16. That includes Rolls Royce, Boeing and other technology companies. All the airports, airlines etc
So for all that added up to come in below the Arts shows how big Culture is, not forgetting The Arts has a huge effect on the Tourism and Hospitality sectors which are not included in that £23bn figure.

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/com ... Report.pdf
https://www.aoa.org.uk/wp-content/uploa ... UK.pdf.pdf

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:05 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:29 pm

Fishing 1.4 billion
Football 7.6 billion
Aviation 22 billion
Arts 23 billion
I think it's actually almost 34 billion
2019 official stats:
"The arts and culture industry has grown £390million in a year and now contributes £10.8billion a year to the UK economy.
The sector contributes £2.8billion a year to the Treasury via taxation, and generates a further £23billion a year and 363,700 jobs.
Productivity in the arts and culture industry between 2009 and 2016 was greater than that of the economy as a whole, with gross value added per worker at £62,000 for arts and culture, compared to £46,800 for the wider UK economy"

So almost 11 billion directly + generating a further 23 billion.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:16 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:01 pm
Who's actually interested in the fishing industry, could anyone tell me a company? I feel it's only became a 'big issue' because of the B word despite it being very small in term of actual impact on the UK.

The aviation number does included most of the supply chain - Two documents below putting Aviation at £22bn in 2015/16. That includes Rolls Royce, Boeing and other technology companies. All the airports, airlines etc
So for all that added up to come in below the Arts shows how big Culture is, not forgetting The Arts has a huge effect on the Tourism and Hospitality sectors which are not included in that £23bn figure.

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/com ... Report.pdf
https://www.aoa.org.uk/wp-content/uploa ... UK.pdf.pdf
Sorry for the late reply, it was July 4th weekend and have been busy although I did get to watch the match :)

It's funny in your response and what I was trying to say, obviously my confusion again, I was looking at the 4 industries but then equating it to voters as that was mentioned, so I was talking more about the number of people fishing & going to football as voters. Yes loads go to the arts but and here only intuitively, if we look at the Arts and Aviation I think the supply chain is much larger for aviation and the UK has been lagging the growth the rest of the world has seen, where as I would say we are in the top countries in terms of the Arts across the world.

I am a supporter of the Arts and all for them having the appropriate funding and not going backwards.

Obviously some contradicting documents and the one below is interesting regarding aviation as opposed to the one you provided.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -study.pdf

In terms of the fishing industry I agree with your analysis and a lot of it is emotive and a rallying call that is a flag which can easily be waved, however from the discussions all round the EU & the French in particular also think it's important.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:30 pm

The government finally acting to aid the entertainment industry https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53302415 will it be enough to prevent major job losses we'll have to wait and see.