Div 1 refs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1485 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Div 1 refs

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:00 am

We and I include myself in this,moan about the quality of our refs but the league 1 playoffs refs were at best Sunday league standard. Ii was like watching Scottish football, with both teams hacking lumps of each other with impunity
Fleetwood were particularly hard done by with a player upended in the box and then booked for diving.Its little wonderhe screamed "fxxxxxg penalty ref"

dsr
Been Liked: 4571 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Re: Div 1 refs

Post by dsr » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:35 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:00 am
We and I include myself in this,moan about the quality of our refs but the league 1 playoffs refs were at best Sunday league standard. Ii was like watching Scottish football, with both teams hacking lumps of each other with impunity
Fleetwood were particularly hard done by with a player upended in the box and then booked for diving.Its little wonderhe screamed "fxxxxxg penalty ref"
I think for "upended" you mean "touched". He certainly wasn't upended. I've seen far too much rugby to fall for the idea that if a player falls over it's because he couldn't keep upright.

It's amazing how much screaming you hear at football matches. There twenty stone blokes jump on a scrum half and he still gets up in silence and walks away. One footballer taps another on the shin pad and the screams are heard in New York.
Last edited by dsr on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: MT03ALG conyoviejo

Targetman
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:41 am

dsr wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:35 pm
I think for "upended" you mean "touched". He certainly wasn't upended. I've seen far too much rugby to fall for the idea that if a player falls over it's because he couldn't keep upright.

It's amazing how much screaming you hear at football matches. There twenty stone blokes jump on a scrum half and he still gets up in silence and walks away. One footballer taps another on the shin pad and the creams are heard in New York.
My thoughts exactly!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32390 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:16 am

Both Select Group 2 officials.

Portsmouth v Oxford was Gavin Ward while Tony Harrington refereed Fleetwood v Wycombe. I saw the second of those games and Harrington had a nightmare to add to two previous poor performances in the week at Leeds and Barnsley.
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:06 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:16 am
Both Select Group 2 officials.

Portsmouth v Oxford was Gavin Ward while Tony Harrington refereed Fleetwood v Wycombe. I saw the second of those games and Harrington had a nightmare to add to two previous poor performances in the week at Leeds and Barnsley.
CT --as you know, I very rarely criticise officials, however, I am sure that Joey Barton and his team did not see the joke in Harrington's performance the other night. Players, particularly at the top level, do make the job harder for the officials with all their attempts to con the officials, however, Fleetwood v Wycombe was a decent 'old fashioned' game of football, however, Harrington convinced me that he was working on the directive that all physical contact should be penalised one way or the other. The non-award of the penalty, resulting in Madden being cautioned for simulation and subsequently being dismissed, was the lowlight of his display! A couple of nights previously, Raheem Sterling was awarded a penalty in exactly the same circumstances, in spite of his reputation for taking a dive!
He is normally one of the more reliable officials, however, his last three games have been a very difficult watch!

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:40 pm

Mr Harrington just had another shocker at Wigan. Thankfully his assistant corrected him

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:56 pm

I like the look of Robert Jones, who took the play-off final on Monday. I’ve seen him make a couple of bloopers but generally he is on top of the game. Already had 1 PL game but I’d expect him stepping up.