The Great British Public never let you down

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

The Great British Public never let you down

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:37 am

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Re: The Great British Public never let you down

Post by mdd2 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:40 am

as Stan would say "a blind man on a galloping horse......."
These 3 users liked this post: RalphCoatesComb Buxtonclaret DCWat

beeholeclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 437 times

Post by beeholeclaret » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:45 am

"Good old British common sense will prevail". Hmm.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:46 am

#COVIDIOTS

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 am

Remind me whose bright idea was it to reopen pubs on a Saturday, the week after payday, like that wasn't going to cause problems.

The British were once described as a nation of shopkeepers, no we're a nation of pi**heads.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 am

I went out for a few yesterday. It's just like any other time really, you know which pubs will be fine and which one's will be full of idiots and are easy to avoid.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat Quicknick evensteadiereddie

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:23 am

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 am
Remind me whose bright idea was it to reopen pubs on a Saturday, the week after payday, like that wasn't going to cause problems.

The British were once described as a nation of shopkeepers, no we're a nation of pi**heads.
Why do people keep blaming the government for the idiotic choices of the general public?

The decision to open pubs wasn’t the issue. It’s the decision of the people going to the pubs that’s the problem.

Same dickheads that have been protesting. Going to beaches. Attending illegal raves.

The same people that went out yesterday would only be doing the same behind closed doors.

We are nation full of selfish *****.
These 9 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 tim_noone Burnley Ace bobinho Goobs Murger NewClaret Stayingup KateR

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:39 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:23 am
Why do people keep blaming the government for the idiotic choices of the general public?

The decision to open pubs wasn’t the issue. It’s the decision of the people going to the pubs that’s the problem.

Same dickheads that have been protesting. Going to beaches. Attending illegal raves.

The same people that went out yesterday would only be doing the same behind closed doors.

We are nation full of selfish *****.
I don't blame the government for people behaving like idiots, but opening pubs on a Saturday was a bad idea, open on the Monday, and give the staff and the public a few days to get to grips with the new protocols, The government are depending on the Great British exercising common sense, most will abide by the advice, but you'll always get the minority of idiots, and as always it's the idiots who'll generate all the headlines.

My greatest fear is many now seem to imagine this crisis is over, it's abating thankfully, but it's by no means over, and if people don't heed the warnings, then they'll find themselves back in lockdown, and nobody wants that, we do want to try and get the economy whirling again, as the economic danger is also lurking in wait, but this has to be done in a measured way.
This user liked this post: Frenchclaret

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:48 am

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:39 am
I don't blame the government for people behaving like idiots, but opening pubs on a Saturday was a bad idea, open on the Monday, and give the staff and the public a few days to get to grips with the new protocols, The government are depending on the Great British exercising common sense, most will abide by the advice, but you'll always get the minority of idiots, and as always it's the idiots who'll generate all the headlines.

My greatest fear is many now seem to imagine this crisis is over, it's abating thankfully, but it's by no means over, and if people don't heed the warnings, then they'll find themselves back in lockdown, and nobody wants that, we do want to try and get the economy whirling again, as the economic danger is also lurking in wait, but this has to be done in a measured way.
Don’t disagree with any of that.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:14 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Measured way? Try explaining that to the hafwits hugging each other in post-lockdown pubs, p!ssed as chimps, and raring to spread the virus :(

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:29 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:14 pm
Measured way? Try explaining that to the hafwits hugging each other in post-lockdown pubs, p!ssed as chimps, and raring to spread the virus :(
Quentin Crisp would have been spinning in his Grave seeing the crowds in old Compton street soho.possibly.......

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:40 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:29 pm
Quentin Crisp would have been spinning in his Grave seeing the crowds in old Compton street soho.possibly.......
Quentin Crisp? Someone else showing their age :lol:

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:50 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:40 pm
Quentin Crisp? Someone else showing their age :lol:
"Youthfulness is how you Live not when you were Born"
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:54 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:50 pm
"Youthfulness is how you Live not when you were Born"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:55 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:54 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry I mean uselessness.. :D

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:59 pm

Absolutely no point in keeping pubs closed when everyone and his wife has been gathering in town centers for weeks, protesting about the police or whatever recent topic that they have been told to be offended by.
If anything it might give the brain washed idiots something better to worry about.
I'm absolutely bored of people ranting about things the have seen on TV or read in newspapers
Fk em
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone Quicknick claretandy

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:10 am

I'd be far happier with that.

While not ideal, a handful of idiots meeting at someone's house for a **** up is better that multiple groups of idiots all in the same building.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:28 am

Damo wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:59 pm
Absolutely no point in keeping pubs closed when everyone and his wife has been gathering in town centers for weeks, protesting about the police or whatever recent topic that they have been told to be offended by.
If anything it might give the brain washed idiots something better to worry about.
I'm absolutely bored of people ranting about things the have seen on TV or read in newspapers
Fk em
I think you’ve been watching too many news reports or reading too much Daily Mail. The numbers out protesting are tiny, certainly compared to the numbers in pubs up and down the countries.

Anyway, despite reports of some madness in areas of London both Manchester and Liverpool police are reporting a successful Saturday night.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:34 am

Damo wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:59 pm
Fk em
I gather from your spelling that you're in the states and it's very different over there where you are.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7174 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:22 am

Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:48 am
Don’t disagree with any of that.
Nor do I.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:46 am

The course has clearly now been set for "" herd immunity"". This government may be corrupt, dishonest and obnoxious, but stupid they ain't.

If the magi on this message board could see it coming then I'm sure a national government could too. They must be laughing up their sleeves watching the plebs take the rap for the arrested decline of c19.

This thread is just a lot of self-righteous holier-than-though sh1te.
This user liked this post: Damo

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:56 am

tiger76 wrote:

It’s a fair point and I know some other restrictions have been lifted on a Monday. I think the timing was planned precisely to fill pubs though - if they opened on a Monday there would be limited customers for five days. These places are on their knees and paying for staff/stock and then seeing no money through the tills for a week would not be good.

Take your point about learning the protocols, but when I went for a run on Saturday evening, around 6pm, the pubs were open, busy, most people outside, everyone being sensible, drinks being brought to them. I’m not sure how they’d be better prepared for the inevitable rush the following weekend by opening Monday and having a trickle of people in during the week (particularly as it would be different staff). They have had weeks to organise themselves.

May have all been different by 11pm, granted, but when I went for a run on Sunday morning before the match, it didn’t look like a usual Sunday. I saw one solitary bottle (Corona as it happens :lol: :lol:) in a doorway - you wouldn’t think it was the morning after a riot, as some of the press have had us believe.

And I think that is what it boils down to - the press. Despite the huge majority being very safe and sensible, they’ll take photo’s of one street in Soho from a convenient angle, or a few waifs and strays in a city centre at 3am who have overdone it, and position them as the majority. They’re not, but it doesn’t serve their purpose to publish positive stories about people acting sensibly and helping businesses getting back on their feet.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Bosscat

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:28 am

martin_p wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:28 am
I think you’ve been watching too many news reports or reading too much Daily Mail. The numbers out protesting are tiny, certainly compared to the numbers in pubs up and down the countries.

Anyway, despite reports of some madness in areas of London both Manchester and Liverpool police are reporting a successful Saturday night.
Or maybe hes been watching too much BBC who have again recently backed the wrong horse and proved once again their stunning ability to be swimming against the tide of mainstream public opinion.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:29 am

Stayingup wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:28 am
Or maybe hes been watching too much BBC who have again recently backed the wrong horse and proved once again their stunning ability to be swimming against the tide of mainstream public opinion.
Why, what have the BBC been saying?

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:13 am

martin_p wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:28 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.manche ... 376153.amp

From the far right Bible that is the MEN

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror ... 148245.amp

The daily mein kampf's take on it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... k-52949014

State sponsored right wing propaganda no doubt

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ral-london

Here is the other cheek of the arse for a bit of balance

But yeah martin. Just another "I don't agree with it so they must have read it in the daily mail" text book reply from yourself
These 2 users liked this post: Rowls KateR

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:15 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:34 am
I gather from your spelling that you're in the states and it's very different over there where you are.
With your levels of humour, the pubs will be a better place with you sat at home muchacho

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:01 pm

Damo wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:13 am
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.manche ... 376153.amp

From the far right Bible that is the MEN

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror ... 148245.amp

The daily mein kampf's take on it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... k-52949014

State sponsored right wing propaganda no doubt

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ral-london

Here is the other cheek of the arse for a bit of balance

But yeah martin. Just another "I don't agree with it so they must have read it in the daily mail" text book reply from yourself
As I said, too many news reports!

I mentioned the Daily Mail just to trigger exactly the reaction it got by the way :D it’s one of your trigger words. So thanks.

But the point still stands, the ‘thousands’ mention is a fraction of a fraction of a percentage of the total population so your ‘everyone and his wife has been gathering in town centres for weeks’ is journalist level sensationalism, no doubt driven by all you’ve read online.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:19 pm

"Health Secretary Matt Hancock said people had largely acted responsibly, saying the "vast majority of people are, I think, doing the right thing"."

As always, whether it's racists, anti-social scrotes, people exploiting the Covid-19 crisis and so on, it's a tiny minority of "The Great British Public" flouting these rules. The rest of us are just fine.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:21 pm

Hang on a minute. Is it ok to question the decisions made by the British general public now, and to criticise them if they do something stupid? Because that was very taboo for a good few years.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:44 pm

It's a few, a tiny minority. Question the behaviour and decisions of those morons all you like.