Ben Mee Interview, Sunday Times

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Ben Mee Interview, Sunday Times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:41 am

Ben Mee: We need diversity in our fanbase and that banner was an embarrassment

The Burnley captain talks about the premature birth of his daughter and why he had to speak out against racism

Lengthy, so just the link at this time.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f4ff ... 317e8bb27a

Ben is a credit to all. A "big" hug to little Olive.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Re: Ben Mee Interview, Sunday Times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:50 am

My mate with the Box Brownie isn't impressed with that photo of Ben. Arty but sho!te!

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter :)

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:56 am

Ben Mee: We need diversity in our fanbase and that banner was an embarrassment

The Burnley captain talks about the premature birth of his daughter and why he had to speak out against racism
Mee has been “humbled” by the reaction to his comments.

Every day is a milestone for Olive Mee and her dad is smiling, for today she has reached seven weeks old. He is proud of her strength, proud of the fight she is showing. The best of Lancashire — no-nonsense mindset blended with heart: that’s Ben Mee.

Olive remains in St Mary’s Hospital, Manchester, where she was born 16 weeks prematurely, but has just moved from intensive care to a high-dependency unit and thus one step closer to coming home. Ben, the Burnley defender and captain, and his wife, Sarah, can be with her together now, having had to visit separately until Covid-19 guidelines were eased.

Covid meant that Ben had to be apart from Sarah for a lot of the period when she was waiting to give birth once it was obvious Olive was going to arrive early. He would stay home, looking after their two-year-old son, Jaxon, who is yet to meet his sister but enjoys looking at her pictures.

So, it has been tough. “Olive’s doing well. She’s tiny. She weighs 2lb 3oz at the moment and she was born 1lb 2oz, really small. It’s been a difficult time but she’s improving,” Mee, 30, says.

In terms of issues, “there have been bits and bobs and they told us in the unit to expect bad days and good days. But we’ve had more good days than bad. The doctors were telling us to get to 24 weeks to give her the best chance. You have big conversations, difficult ones. Getting to 24 weeks was important.”

Mee is a private person and part of him wonders whether he should be speaking about such things at all, but his cradle-rocking celebration, after his outstanding headed goal against Crystal Palace on Monday, brought Olive’s situation into the open. He performed the celebration principally for his daughter — “something to show her when she’s bigger” — and for Sarah, and for their families, friends and those at the club who have been so supportive in recent weeks.

He was also thinking of others. He wants to pay tribute to the “amazing” people at St Mary’s and NHS staff generally. He is thinking, too, about other families dealing with premature birth. “It’s something I’d have probably kept quiet unless I’d scored but I think it’s good for it to be spoken about.

“Since [Olive arrived] I’ve had a lot of friends and family say they know people who have been through this,” Mee says. “David Silva — I mentioned it to him and asked him how his son was doing and knowing he got through it helped me out. So, I want to help people and not just keep it to myself.” Silva’s son, Mateo, was been born at 25 weeks.

Olive is part of the backdrop to the post-match interview Mee gave when his team played Manchester City on June 22 and an aircraft flew overhead, trailing a banner reading “White Lives Matter Burnley”. The stunt was arranged by a small group of supposed fans of his club. Mee told Burnley’s head of press that as captain he had to say something — and he spoke from the heart and with anger about being “ashamed”.

The interview made waves around the world and ensured football’s advocacy of the statement “Black Lives Matter” — being worn on the players’ shirts — was redoubled rather than derailed. Mee is a strong supporter of the messaging, having been keenly involved in captains’ meetings to decide this and other initiatives, such as #Players Together.

Mee is a keen consumer of news and reader about geopolitics and society: he has just finished Malcolm Gladwell’s Talking To Strangers. The killing of George Floyd and global Black Lives Matter protests left Mee thinking deeply. And then there was his personal situation.

“A lot of emotion came out of me, because of what had happened in previous months as well. I’d seen how delicate life is, I guess, and it builds emotion and to see [the banner] . . . it was unacceptable. It brought a lot of feelings up and I couldn’t sleep that night. I was gutted to be honest with you, really gutted,” Mee says.

The banner that appeared before the game against City was condemned by Mee in a powerful post-match interview
The banner that appeared before the game against City was condemned by Mee in a powerful post-match interview
“I was angry that it had happened. I was upset because it had been such a good weekend of football for the lads [around the Premier League]. As players we’d been speaking for a number of weeks, as captains as well, and for that to happen upset me.

“I said I was embarrassed — well I was. Because the world was watching. For our club as well. [The stunt] was there to get a reaction — whether it got a reaction from the person they expected, I don’t know, but it certainly did get a reaction from me.”

Part of Mee’s still palpable disgust is that he knows all about the perceptions of Burnley as a place with racism problems and how hard many in the town have worked to change things. He has seen the efforts of Burnley’s community department, who operate the Leisure Box, a hub in Brierfield that attracts users across the communities and faiths.

He was involved when Sean Dyche took the squad to a local mosque and has been to schools and witnessed the diversity there. “The other night hurt me because I know the clichés about Burnley and because of how hard the club and the town have worked, reputationally. It got to me.”

He wants the club to represent inclusion. “We want everyone to be able to enjoy coming to our football club,” he says. “It’s a diverse town and we need to show that diversity in our fanbase. It would be fantastic if that respect and togetherness between different people that’s shown on the pitch can be shown in the town.”

Since his interview he has received messages from fans around the UK, “which is not something I ever expected or wanted but it’s really humbling. If people watching, especially the younger generation, can take something from seeing a footballer speaking like that then it would be positive”.

Mee has been shown a TV panel discussion where the former Wimbledon and Jamaica midfielder, Robbie Earle, choked back emotion as he spoke about the importance of seeing a white player take such a strong anti-racism stance. “It got me quite emotional to be fair. It was powerful,” Mee says.

But he feels he did not do anything special; he merely did what was right. “We’re in it together. All the lads [in Burnley’s squad] would have come out and said the same thing but they don’t always have the opportunity to speak that I had.

“Hopefully it will encourage more white players to speak about it, I don’t know, but we all have things to learn as well, me included.”

A fundamental part of the players wearing “Black Lives Matter” — which they sport as a sleeve logo — is that the messaging be seen as non-political. After the activist organisation, Black Lives Matter UK, posted social media messages critical of Israel, the Premier League consulted Mee, Troy Deeney, Wes Morgan and Jordan Henderson before deciding to continue the campaign. It released a statement, endorsed by the captains, distancing itself from “groups that seek to hijack popular causes and campaigns to promote their own political views”.

Mee feels strongly about what the messaging stands for. “We didn’t want it to be about what side of the political spectrum you are on. It’s about inclusion and respect for each other. Compassion. In our sport and in wider society. I think I said it in my interview: people miss the point of what we want to achieve as players.

“For me it is more the literal meaning rather than supporting any political movement. It’s about black lives. It’s about life, isn’t it? It’s about being human and just accepting people for who they are. Maybe in hindsight the Premier League might have released that statement before all of this — but I’m glad they’ve clarified it now.”

Being suddenly in the spotlight “feels a little odd”. Mee is one of those players who plays for the game and not the trappings or attention. Burnley’s squad is full of those types.

During lockdown, while arguments about pay reductions raged elsewhere, Burnley’s dressing room — organised by Mee — quickly volunteered to forgo pay to ensure ordinary staff would not lose wages or jobs. The club’s sound financial position meant they did not have to take the players up on their offer.

The fibre of that dressing room was underlined at Palace — perhaps Burnley’s best performance of the season, despite the build-up being dominated by speculation about Dyche’s future and the departure of valued players, such as Joe Hart and Aaron Lennon, as their contracts expired. “We hear what goes on in the media about the manager,” says Mee, “and seeing the boys leave upset a few people but we’ve learnt over the years to shut things out and perform.

“We’re at our best in those situations, it brings out that bit of fight.” Standing strong when it counts — yes, Mee knows all about that.
These 6 users liked this post: Claretmatt4 longsidepies simonclaret tim_noone Claret Toni IanMcL

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:09 am

Ben has been my favourite player for some time now and this escapade has just shown me what a great human being and man he is - as well as being a lionheart in the field. are so lucky to have him. Mr Burnley.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3747 times
Has Liked: 7519 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:12 am

Good article.
He's an outstanding human being, is our Ben.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:19 am

A class act, someone I am so proud to have associated with the club. A gentleman, a stalwart and an intelligent man who I feel will go on to do whatever he wants to do when his playing career is over.

Shipclaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Shipclaret » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:27 am

The words of a true captain and leader of men. It’s with pride I can say he leads my team - Burnley.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:29 am

Captain Fantastic !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGSo2AHXahc

And that does not include his point-blank head block v Reading !

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:36 am

Wish some of these articles would highlight how it is only small group of people who hired the plane. They aren’t even Burnley fans as no fan would want to put their own team off before a match. I’ve never seen more diversity in the stands at Burnley. This doesn’t get mentioned because these reporters don’t go to matches. They could focus on the good community work that we do ( touched on here)but the banner story makes more of a headline.
These 3 users liked this post: chekhov Bosscat k90bfc

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:38 am

You’d like to think he’ll be a hell of a manager when his playing days are over. Top bloke.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 am

Blackrod wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:36 am
Wish some of these articles would highlight how it is only small group of people who hired the plane. They aren’t even Burnley fans as no fan would want to put their own team off before a match. I’ve never seen more diversity in the stands at Burnley. This doesn’t get mentioned because these reporters don’t go to matches. They could focus on the good community work that we do ( touched on here)but the banner story makes more of a headline.
They were Burnley fans. They put Burnley on the banner. We have racists in our fanbase - we need to own that, we need to deal with it. It tainted our club and town. Just glossing over it is not an option.

Great interview with Ben who has been something else recently.
This user liked this post: Sausage

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3747 times
Has Liked: 7519 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:48 am

Bertiebeehead wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:38 am
You’d like to think he’ll be a hell of a manager when his playing days are over. Top bloke.

You'd think he'd make a good MP
Though reckon hes a bit over qualified for politics with too much honesty & integrity.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:59 am

Just what you need is our captain to stand up for what is right , it warms the heart .
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:02 am

Class.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:22 am

Brilliant article but such a shame that the The Times chose to show the banner again, when it was totally unneccessary, thereby giving more publicity to the perpertrators and encouraging their followers.

All lives matter and in particular, little Olive's.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat k90bfc

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:26 am

He’ll have upset a few on here with progressive comments like that.

A brilliant interview from a brilliant captain.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:37 am

A good interview, its edited of course, but the one thing I really wish was said (and not just by Ben) is “its really important for a town like Burnley to demonstrate its solidarity for all ethnic groups, which is why I was so annoyed the other night, and its also important that we remember that great hardship is faced by many from all groups in Burnley and elsewhere, including non-BAME, and they all need to know they are being thought of rather than ignored”.

That’s always missing, and it would nip so much in the bud, avoiding the few numpties (there will always be some) getting the support they need to engage in the kind of deplorable behaviour we saw the other week.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:55 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:22 am
Brilliant article but such a shame that the The Times chose to show the banner again, when it was totally unneccessary, thereby giving more publicity to the perpertrators and encouraging their followers.

Agree. The point I was trying to make but totally missed by Swizzlestick. The article is positive and certainly puts Ben in a good light it’s just the banner headline is the first thing you see.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:59 am

Blackrod wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:36 am
👍excellent post Br 👍 and GD too
Gordaleman wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:22 am

Last edited by Bosscat on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:02 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 am
They were Burnley fans. They put Burnley on the banner. We have racists in our fanbase - we need to own that, we need to deal with it. It tainted our club and town. Just glossing over it is not an option.

Maybe I'm going deaf and it maybe where I sit ut I have not heard a racist comment for years at a match.

To the article and Ben Mee is a truly smashing bloke and player for us.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Burnley Ace

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2691 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:02 am

Shoot the photographer.

Looks like Plug off the Bash Street Kids there. 😮

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:15 am

If there is a player that I’d love to stay involved with Burnley, once his playing days are over, it’s Ben Mee.

He epitomises what I want the team that I support to be all about, both on and off the pitch.

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:19 am

Stayingup wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:02 am
Maybe I'm going deaf and it maybe where I sit ut I have not heard a racist comment for years at a match.

To the article and Ben Mee is a truly smashing bloke and player for us.
The club, and Premier League have done some great work against racism and football violence. I too cannot recall hearing any racist comments for a long time.

I can remember the 70's when the National Front used to stand outside the ground before matches. There was also a lot of violence in and around football grounds at that time.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:48 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 am

You are no better than the idiots who organised the banner. As others have said that they haven't heard racist chants or abuse for years on the turf.

You and your kind are the problem with the world today, trying to find trouble when their is non to stir up racial unrest.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Brucefanclaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Brucefanclaret » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:02 pm

Racist remarks heard at Burnley this last year - 'ref will never book him - he's black' and calling Spurs fans Yids and making holocaust comments.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:41 pm

Difficult to speak highly enough of Ben Mee - what a fantastic ambassador for our club the PL and the sport in general

We're so lucky to have him - a model professional on and off the pitch - all of this is taking place whilst the Covid-19 situation places significant restrictions on full family support for has prematurely born - and battling - daughter - amazing and remarkable - I hope he is a part of our club for many years to come
This user liked this post: Brucefanclaret

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:44 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:48 am
You are no better than the idiots who organised the banner. As others have said that they haven't heard racist chants or abuse for years on the turf.

You and your kind are the problem with the world today, trying to find trouble when their is non to stir up racial unrest.
Seems a bit of an overreaction to a reasoned comment.

Of course we have racists within our fan base and of course we should own it and do something about it.
These 3 users liked this post: Claret Toni Sausage IanMcL

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:58 pm

and just to think a few of our numpty fans were calling for him to be dropped earlier in the season.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 364 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:50 am

On 5live now. Talking early baby and football

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:15 am

DCWat wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:44 pm
Seems a bit of an overreaction to a reasoned comment.

Of course we have racists within our fan base and of course we should own it and do something about it.
I agree. I don't know Swizzle the poster, however, the statement is truth. Superb by Ben and to think that he is one of the 'go to captains, in the Prem, only adds authority to his words and deeds, as well as to our club and Burnley, the town.

Nonetheless, the Swizzle statement serves to highlight that there is mow a real opportunity, to point out transgressors and action will be taken.

Watch out those who supported the 'banner man' and the ilk!

Up the Clarets

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:22 am

Top Claret wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:48 am

Sadly an absence of racist chants does not mean an absence of racism.
All racism has to be rooted out and I do not mind it starting with the whites provided it does not stop there and goes on to root it from other ethnic groups.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:27 pm

Loyalclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:50 am
On 5live now. Talking early baby and football
you can listen here from 2:48:00 in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000knc3

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times