Mee Injury

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Re: Mee Injury

Post by claret2018 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:45 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:42 pm
More chance of me starting for Burnley.
I thought he was injured
These 2 users liked this post: jrgbfc Alanstevensonsgloves

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:48 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:37 pm
I think you might have previously mentioned that we were close to selling him in the January transfer window. Any idea if we are expecting to recoup a reasonable amount of money for him? Or are we resigned to a much smaller fee? Sure that getting him off the wage bill will be a big help
No idea on any figures but given he’s hardly played we haven’t paid anything like the full amount for him. It’s anyone’s guess what will happen now but I wouldn’t expect to see him in a Burnley shirt again with the current set up here.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:07 pm

We'd just as well put on jimmy Dunne to see how he gets on partnering Tarky.

Billyblah
Been Liked: 165 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:22 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:02 pm
Not going to happen
Not going to happen and yet Burnley paid around £15m for Gibson. If you then factor in the market value the club has also lost in allowing Jeff Hendrick to 'walk away' that's a significant level of money written off for a relatively small club

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:05 pm

In contrast to Gibson and as some people have mentioned I've been really impressed by Vydra's attitude in recent games

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:26 am

Doesn't look like Gibson is likely to be coming back.
Certainly not in the forseeable future i.e. next few games.
Unless we see it as opportunity to put him in the window and get some decent offers/money back for him.
Whatever, in addition to Gibson we've now lost Hart, Lennon and Hendrick.
Now Hart and Lennon might not be seen as disastrous but Hendrick and Gibson
are, in my opinion. Hendrick because he was one of our better players
and still had 2 or 3 seasons to offer whilst Gibson had the potential to become one.

He'll need replacing as I don't believe we can risk having only 3 centre halves in the squad.
That's also the case in midfield as we cannot rely on having just 3 midfielders. Can we?

Mee and Tarkowski (and to a lesser degree Pope and Taylor) have been the key
for us and the foundation of our defence and as a consequence our ability to continue
'punching above our weight' and maintaining our premiership status.
And as a result bringing in all the money.

We'll need some major rebuilding in terms of bringing in or bringing on
some of our younger players and relatively quickly iven the break is likely to be shorter.
I'm sure Garlick must realise that. Dyche certainly.

I fear that if Garlick and Dyche can't sort things then Dyche, if an offer comes in,
might well decide he's done as much as he can with Burnley and decide to leave.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:47 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:29 pm
What he's being paid isn't relevant really - what is relevant is that it is better for him that he's not at Burnley and it is very much better for Burnley FC that he's not here too.
I'd go along with that.

And can I also point out that he wasn't a bad signing at the time. He was a solid signing and it made complete sense. There's been no credit at all to this signing, and there should be.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:21 am

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:05 pm
In contrast to Gibson and as some people have mentioned I've been really impressed by Vydra's attitude in recent games
Likewise. He’s been fantastic, work rate exceptional up front. That’s one thing that can be said for Dyche’s use of substitutes - does ten to get this reaction and commitment when they get their chances. I’d like he and JRod to retain their places as a reward.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:39 am

The most concerning injury has to be Ashley Barnes unless he has an additional problem unconnected to his operation. These days it shouldn't take 6 months to get over a hernia op-so what if anything has gone wrong?

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:46 am

jurek wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:26 am
Doesn't look like Gibson is likely to be coming back.
Certainly not in the forseeable future i.e. next few games.
Unless we see it as opportunity to put him in the window and get some decent offers/money back for him.
Whatever, in addition to Gibson we've now lost Hart, Lennon and Hendrick.
Now Hart and Lennon might not be seen as disastrous but Hendrick and Gibson
are, in my opinion. Hendrick because he was one of our better players
and still had 2 or 3 seasons to offer whilst Gibson had the potential to become one.

He'll need replacing as I don't believe we can risk having only 3 centre halves in the squad.
That's also the case in midfield as we cannot rely on having just 3 midfielders. Can we?

Mee and Tarkowski (and to a lesser degree Pope and Taylor) have been the key
for us and the foundation of our defence and as a consequence our ability to continue
'punching above our weight' and maintaining our premiership status.
And as a result bringing in all the money.

We'll need some major rebuilding in terms of bringing in or bringing on
some of our younger players and relatively quickly iven the break is likely to be shorter.
I'm sure Garlick must realise that. Dyche certainly.

I fear that if Garlick and Dyche can't sort things then Dyche, if an offer comes in,
might well decide he's done as much as he can with Burnley and decide to leave.
A lot of sense in that, except that I wouldn't agree that Hendrick was one of our better players. I reckon that if Gudmondsson had been fit last season, Hendrick wouldn't have been in the team. Hendrick was a reserve player who by virtue of injuries to other players, played almost every game. A very good reserve to have, but not on of the better players.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:12 am

Billyblah wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:22 pm
Not going to happen and yet Burnley paid around £15m for Gibson. If you then factor in the market value the club has also lost in allowing Jeff Hendrick to 'walk away' that's a significant level of money written off for a relatively small club
It doesn't matter whether we paid £1 for him or £15 million, that's totally irrelevant, the club is better for him not being here. As for Jeff Hendrick, we didn't allow him to walk away, he opted to. Players have the right to run down their contracts.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:28 am

There supporters want to see players succeed. Remember when Vydra came on Dyche was confused as to why the fans were cheering him? Fans support the players and look at him now.

Gibson will never have this at Burnley, and rightly so.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:37 am

Too much being said about Hendrick going and we re-couped no money. It happens at every club, and at Burnley its rare we lose out. Swings and round abouts for me and we need to look at the bigger picture-we got £8m for Vokes (we mugged Stoke), he cost us probably less than a million and a big factor in us getting promoted. We got £8m for Heaton-came to us on a free, helped us get promoted, and stay in the PL. We got £16m for Gray-, 28 goals in one season-saw us promoted, and cost us £8m. We paid circa £3m on Keane sold him for £25m-got us promoted and helped us stay in the PL

Plus in the team we have Pope, Taylor who are worth umpteen times what we paid for them. The odd player will slip through asnd not yield a sell on, which is why Gibson needs resolving-unless we can furlough him
This user liked this post: Rowls

HB Claret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:48 am

Wish I knew what Gibson did to receive so much bad publicity on here as so many clearly are in the know - but maybe moving from his family club where he was a big fish he couldn’t cope with being a bit part here ?

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:00 am

Unless we can continually fine him for not turning up to training (which seems unlikely) it would be nice to think that Gibson has been furloughed.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:08 am

Gibson's quite happy to trouser his 40k a week whilst effectively being on strike. He's been given an easy ride on here.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:14 am

I have said a few times Gibson is Burnley’s Winston Bogarde. He could if he wanted to sit out the next two years collecting his large wages and the more grief he gets he could just stick up a big two fingers costing us even more money.

We need to be saying the right things, he is a good player but it’s not worked and hope Gibson gets a move and we get some money back although buying clubs will know we want rid.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:44 am

Gibson is a dick, simple as that - there's no excuse. He couldn't break into the team, but he can't complain about that - look at our defensive stats. Then moans that he can't get a loan move - that's because we need him at Burnley Football Club. Then he ***** off home and trains with another club. Now, guess what? We need him. But is he fit? Is he up to date with the technical aspects of training?

He's made himself unavailable for selection and he should be sacked.
This user liked this post: CleggHall

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:34 pm

Dy1geo wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:14 am
I have said a few times Gibson is Burnley’s Winston Bogarde. He could if he wanted to sit out the next two years collecting his large wages and the more grief he gets he could just stick up a big two fingers costing us even more money.
The situation with Gibson is potentially much, much worse than Winston Bogarde.

Gibson was our record signing at around £15m Bogarde was a free signing. Gibson’s wages match those of Bogarde and they both had four year contracts.

Bogarde represented Chelsea on 12 occasions - I don’t think Gibson has made half that number.

Bogarde stayed fit, turned up for every training session and didn’t “rock the boat”. The Club paid big money for surgery and medical treatment for Gibson and he repaid them by apparently becoming a bad apple. Enough for the Manager to want him out of the door.

In my opinion this fiasco is the main reason behind the row and bad feelings at the Club. The Chairman is adamant that a similar situation can’t be allowed again and won’t release big funds - the Manager can’t confirm that it won’t happen again and wants big money to spend on his playing staff.

I think there may have been a lot of finger pointing over who was at fault for the costly Gibson disaster.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:16 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:37 am
Too much being said about Hendrick going and we re-couped no money. It happens at every club, and at Burnley its rare we lose out. Swings and round abouts for me and we need to look at the bigger picture-we got £8m for Vokes (we mugged Stoke), he cost us probably less than a million and a big factor in us getting promoted. We got £8m for Heaton-came to us on a free, helped us get promoted, and stay in the PL. We got £16m for Gray-, 28 goals in one season-saw us promoted, and cost us £8m. We paid circa £3m on Keane sold him for £25m-got us promoted and helped us stay in the PL

Plus in the team we have Pope, Taylor who are worth umpteen times what we paid for them. The odd player will slip through asnd not yield a sell on, which is why Gibson needs resolving-unless we can furlough him
Hi warks, while I agree with the sentiments of your post, the figures are less than you suggest for Andre Gray, 25% of gain had to be paid to Brentford, who in turn had to pay a share to Luton. I believe Luton put all the figures in the public domain. My memory is hazy, I also think we had a sell-on clause with ManU for Michael Keane.

It's a squad game and, in my opinion, Burnley is "doing fantastic" with managing the financial situation.

UTC