Burnley interested in Paul Cook

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Re: Burnley interested in Paul Cook

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:56 pm

Jimmymaccer wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:50 pm
We’d be mad to lose Dyche.....

And Dyche would be mad to lose us..........

Surely both need to get a reality check......

We’re both made for each other.
Dyche is made for bigger things, hopefully with us, with investment. If not, it’ll be with another club.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32534 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:05 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:55 pm
It’s pie in the sky as he’s managing Fleetwood and an established PL team couldn’t appoint him without it

But

Would he not be installed as a (insert made up title here) whilst some nominally would carry the correct qual until he achieved it.
I remember a few years ago a club tried that and Alex Ferguson kicked off about it. I’m sure it was Middlesbrough and I think it might have been Southgate who of course went off and got his qualifications.

I don’t know how good such as Barton & Duff will be as managers but you would hope we’d be looking for better if we in the market for a new manager.

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:09 pm

I agree, completely ludicrous in them circumstances!

Incidentally, I believe Barton has the relevant badges

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:24 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:05 pm
I remember a few years ago a club tried that and Alex Ferguson kicked off about it. I’m sure it was Middlesbrough and I think it might have been Southgate who of course went off and got his qualifications.

I don’t know how good such as Barton & Duff will be as managers but you would hope we’d be looking for better if we in the market for a new manager.
I don’t disagree for right now, and if (when) investment comes it’s unlikely that the planning that’s currently in flow will continue.

But if the board remain, and the current funding remains then it’s prudent to plan within that remit. Dyche is unlikely to stay, we’re unlikely to stay in this division and so a talented, ambitious manager ala Barton and Duff would be ideal and well matched.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:39 pm

What's with the obsession of having an ex-Burnley player as manager?

Dyche has no prior connection with the club and hasn't done too badly.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32534 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:56 pm

Stan Tastic wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:39 pm

Always remember discussing on the message board potential replacements for Stan in 2004. Someone suggested Chris Brass who had just taken York out of the league.

There has always been an obsession with bringing former players back. We had a thread last summer urging us to sign Austin, one in the last week about Stanislas. It can work, Jay being a good example, but there have been a lot of occasions where it hasn’t.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:59 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:56 pm
Always remember discussing on the message board potential replacements for Stan in 2004. Someone suggested Chris Brass who had just taken York out of the league.

There has always been an obsession with bringing former players back. We had a thread last summer urging us to sign Austin, one in the last week about Stanislas. It can work, Jay being a good example, but there have been a lot of occasions where it hasn’t.
And when you look at other clubs I suspect both OGS and Frank Lampard wouldn't be anywhere near as successful had they far less to work with.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:17 pm

Stan Tastic wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:39 pm

I dont think there is an obsession as such. But Tony is right it did used to be a big thing.

But it does make sense to consider the likes of Barton and Duff for many reasons.

Duff has played for this club for many years. He knows the constraints we work towards. Has played a huge role in our success. Has played under some very good managers. And learnt good and bad from all of them. And has gone on to be a decent manager himself.

Barton to a lesser extent but his knowledge of the club, profile, experience of the premier league and his equally promising managerial start make him a candidate worth considering.

I would sooner either of those than a premier league has been from the merry go round.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:56 pm

Has anyone watched them while he’s been manager there on here?

Was a classy ball player for us.

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:08 pm

AGENT_CLARET wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:17 pm
Bf2k can I ask if your first name begins with A
It does yes :?

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1771 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:39 am

I don’t think Barton could deal with the exposure of managing in the Premier League. He can get on with this job in League One with the National press just checking in every now and then to see how he is getting on.

In the Premier League, if he loses the games in a row and says something controversial or criticises a referee, player or opponent, then that’s it... its typical Joey Barton

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:03 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:17 pm
I dont think there is an obsession as such. But Tony is right it did used to be a big thing.

But it does make sense to consider the likes of Barton and Duff for many reasons.

Duff has played for this club for many years. He knows the constraints we work towards. Has played a huge role in our success. Has played under some very good managers. And learnt good and bad from all of them. And has gone on to be a decent manager himself.

Barton to a lesser extent but his knowledge of the club, profile, experience of the premier league and his equally promising managerial start make him a candidate worth considering.

I would sooner either of those than a premier league has been from the merry go round.
Above would also apply to Brian Laws (who had managed at a higher level then either of these)

And we know how that finished !

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1771 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:23 am

Brian Laws wasn’t a terrible manager. Evidently he was the wrong appointment though. He was in over his head.

But I suspect very few out of work Premier League Managers wanted the the Burnley job, a plucky small town club, no money, **** facilities and certain to be relegated.

Even Paul Jewell distanced himself on Gillette Soccer Saturday when asked if was interested

Alan Curblishley backed out while the board were on the train down to meet him.

I’m told an unknown Villas-Boas applied with a PowerPoint presentation that was so mind bending the board knew none of the players would understand him.

At least Laws could bring in his Sheff Wednesday backroom staff - Coyle had taken everyone to Bolton.

We were in a bit of turmoil when Coyle left, even the players were miffed. When Coyle returned with Bolton the season afterwards, I saw him cross paths with a senior player, he stopped and asked how the family was and the player just replied ‘good thanks’ and carried on walking, no eye-contact or stop-and-chat or anything.

I don’t think anyone could’ve saved us that season... It worked out in the long run though.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:31 am

If we are talking young, new managers but have had some experience and relative success in a lower league then I'd be looking at Stevie G up at Rangers. He may not have knocked Celtic off their perch but he's done OK & had a good Europa run this year. He is the right sort of character for us and we could be a good stepping stone for eventual career moves to bigger clubs.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:34 am

I think Coyle could have saved us. We fell 6 points short of safety and had 20 points when OC left. I really think we may have managed to get those 16 points instead of the 10 BL managed out of the team

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:48 am

bf2k wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:08 pm
It does yes :?

If your name is Andrew B then I took you to the Wembley playoff final v Stockport aged 10 lol, and it's because of me taking you to games when you was even younger is why you are a Claret.

Middle-agedClaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 1114 times

Post by Middle-agedClaret » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:45 pm

Would he not be installed as a disaster waiting to happen) whilst some nominally would carry the correct qual until he achieved it.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2053 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:56 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:34 am
I think Coyle could have saved us. We fell 6 points short of safety and had 20 points when OC left. I really think we may have managed to get those 16 points instead of the 10 BL managed out of the team
If we'd have beaten Wigan in the away game that season wouldn't that have seen us stay up?