Man City Appeal result at 9:30 BST

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1142 times

Re: Man City Appeal result at 9:30 BST

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:54 am

Follow the money. Can’t imagine how much will have been sloshing around CAS

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:59 am

FFP rules are a nonsense. The biggest clubs are in favour of them because it helps protect their positions at the top. The wealthiest also seem able to find all the loopholes.

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:10 pm

You can buy a fair few REoles watched for 10 mil! :(

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:49 pm

Roosterbooster wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:27 am
People can moan as much as they want, but City have convinced the highest sports court possible that they did not break the rules. And quite frankly, I didnt think there was going to be any other outcome. The rules are the problem, not the decision to follow them. UEFA are the problem here, not City
RU sure. The Court ruled there was insufficient evidence. That is poor preparation from UEFA if one was to be kind.

Non cooperation by a mere mortal is punished by a prison sentence. The rich simply have to empty their pockets of all their loose change

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:25 pm

So let's run this through - Man City have had this appeal turned over on technicalities of the process. Which is the only way an appeal can win - if you think that an appeal is a retrial you are mistaken, if the process was found to be solid then the ban would have been upheld. Those hoping for a moral judgement are sadly mistake as to the scope of the UEFA Adjudicatory Chamber and CAS

- The UEFA judgement failed because much of the charges and evidence fell outside UEFA's own 5 year period of bringing a case to judgement from the time the infringement occurred. This means that the charges and related evidence for them that were used to generate the ban was disqualified by CAS (if the UEFA window was 10 years or unlimited they would have stood),

- The evidence and charges that remained against City were such that it was not enough to validate the original judgement and therefore that had to be overturned. CAS did not say that evidence was factually incorrect, just that there was not enough left (within the time parameter) to make a compelling case

- CAS agreed with UEFA that Man City had been aggressively uncooperative throughout the process and that portion of the fine stood.

Man City will claim this as a victory because they believe the had a deal with Gianni Inafantino (then of UEFA) in relation to these charges and that should have been the end of it (I have posted much about the preference in the East to do deals rather than adhere to strict rules and judgements in the MMT thread over the years, and of that specific deal too). It is telling that Man City have never denied any of the claims, UEFA they believe are aggrieved because they didn't have all the information to hand when the deal was made, City regard that as part of negotiation and once a deal is struck it is final.

Consequently, this may not be the end of FFP as many are forecasting, rather an opportunity to close a few more loop-holes and an opportunity for UEFA to relax some of it's self-imposed constraints.

The truly ominous fact at play here is that City have possibly spent as much on legal advice and representation on this case as they will on the fine. They will fight the football authorities tooth and nail to pursue their course, which probably means that FIFA will do nothing to stop City Football Group and it's Disneyfication of football (lots about that on the MMT thread) and probably brings an end to the Premier Leagues own investigation into Man City's finances, unless they are not bound by similar constraints.
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies Vegas Claret

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:58 pm

Down_Rover wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:49 pm
RU sure. The Court ruled there was insufficient evidence. That is poor preparation from UEFA if one was to be kind.

Non cooperation by a mere mortal is punished by a prison sentence. The rich simply have to empty their pockets of all their loose change
I'm not sure that many people would go to prison for lack of cooperation. In any case, this was a civil hearing so prison is not an option.

As for the rules and who broke them, CAS did not have the evidence to convict City. It was a complete failure of UEFA. Either their rules aren't watertight enough, or they arent able to use legal avenues to gather the evidence required. They wanted to make a point with City, and failed. Its completely backfired.

And at the end of it all, the only court to say City did anything wrong with regards to the rules are UEFA themselves. And they had a vested interest. The notion that "there isn't enough evidence to convict" means the court thought they were guilty but were unable to deliver that verdict isnt true either. This wasn't looking at that. They were being asked "is the original decision justified?". Their answer was no. Their response doesn't mean City aren't innocent

Down_Rover

Post by Down_Rover » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:09 pm

Roosterbooster wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:58 pm
I'm not sure that many people would go to prison for lack of cooperation. In any case, this was a civil hearing so prison is not an option.

As for the rules and who broke them, CAS did not have the evidence to convict City. It was a complete failure of UEFA. Either their rules aren't watertight enough, or they arent able to use legal avenues to gather the evidence required. They wanted to make a point with City, and failed. Its completely backfired.

And at the end of it all, the only court to say City did anything wrong with regards to the rules are UEFA themselves. And they had a vested interest. The notion that "there isn't enough evidence to convict" means the court thought they were guilty but were unable to deliver that verdict isnt true either. This wasn't looking at that. They were being asked "is the original decision justified?". Their answer was no. Their response doesn't mean City aren't innocent
Well you got there in the end, CAS did not say City aren't innocent.

For info, there is a code of conduct for civil hearings and a series of management hearings leading up to the main hearing. Non cooperation in these procedures can carry a penalty of a prison sentence. It is contempt of Court.

I agree it was a complete failure by Uefa. My question is why after all that time, and presumably having documented the rationale behind their original decision, they failed to present the right documents in Court. This is where the conspiracy theories begin

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:14 pm

Arsenal, 15 year 90 million quid Emirates ground sponsorship
Man City, 10 year 400 Million quid Etihad ground sponsorship

seems legit

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Down_Rover wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:09 pm
For info, there is a code of conduct for civil hearings and a series of management hearings leading up to the main hearing. Non cooperation in these procedures can carry a penalty of a prison sentence. It is contempt of Court.
But the lack of cooperation was with UEFA and not the court? So a prison sentance is not an option? Am I missing something?

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1293 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:45 pm

If clubs get around fair play rules on these type of technicalities then there are no fair play rules and there will never be fair play.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1643 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:35 pm

Ultimately this decision was arrived at by 3 legal minds / arbiters (a Frenchman / Canadian, German and Portugese, all with vast experience). Then you get the legal teams from each side - I would hazard a guess that the power of the City legal team far surpasses that of the other side.

Very similar to, say, government prosecutions of top companies - the company often runs rings around the government in question, whether it be here, the US or wherever. None of it is a surprise, it turns the stomach, and it gradually kills football, but it was inevitable.

(it wouldn't annoy me so much if there wasn't some very obvious cases of dodginess going on all over the place which goes ignored, whether it is drug taking, fraud, money laundering etc. In that sense City may have a legit argument about being singled out, guilty or not, but that shouldn't of course affect whether they win a case like this).

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:54 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:25 pm
So let's run this through - Man City have had this appeal turned over on technicalities of the process. Which is the only way an appeal can win - if you think that an appeal is a retrial you are mistaken, if the process was found to be solid then the ban would have been upheld. Those hoping for a moral judgement are sadly mistake as to the scope of the UEFA Adjudicatory Chamber and CAS

- The UEFA judgement failed because much of the charges and evidence fell outside UEFA's own 5 year period of bringing a case to judgement from the time the infringement occurred. This means that the charges and related evidence for them that were used to generate the ban was disqualified by CAS (if the UEFA window was 10 years or unlimited they would have stood).
Is there a possibility that Man City's lack of co-operation meant the UEFA's inquiry took longer so taking it beyond the five year rule?

Down_Rover

Post by Down_Rover » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:10 pm

Roosterbooster wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:33 pm
But the lack of cooperation was with UEFA and not the court? So a prison sentance is not an option? Am I missing something?
Oh dear you don’t understand
Never mind won’t interrupt my sleeping patterns

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:29 pm

Hipper wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:54 pm
Is there a possibility that Man City's lack of co-operation meant the UEFA's inquiry took longer so taking it beyond the five year rule?
no - It is more that the Investigation process took too long after the Football leaks articles (not that they had that much time) - they were so focused on making a cast iron case and lost track of their own constraints - City told them that at the time, and it factored into their lack of co-operation. No one seems to doubt the City misdemeanours and I repeat City have never denied them (City also believe they have already been punished for them too), just UEFA killed themselves with their own constraints.

the most shocking thing here is this is the 2nd time that UEFA have fallen down the time limitations trap on virtually the same issue - remember PSG got UEFA to drop it's 2nd FFP case (similar charges) for time limitation reasons
Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:10 pm
Many of us suspected that PSG and City would use expensive lawyers o help them avoid them having to revisit previous investigations as a result of Football Leaks - well PSG have just done that at the Courts for Arbitration of Sport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47632779" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

expect city to swiftly follow suit
Last edited by Chester Perry on Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Hipper

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:00 pm

I know it'll never happen but wouldn't it be great if something like this led to Man City's downfall?

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/man- ... eal-536963

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:58 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:48 am
So, in summary if you have enough money Financial Fair Play doesn't matter
Well yes. That is the point of financial fair play. If your club is given £x without reservations of benefit or loan arrangements then the club has the money.

It's not the same as being given a load of money in consideration of a transfer of the ground and a lease back.
It's not the same as buying the club and then fixing the financing arrangements so that the club pays you to buy itself back.
It's also not the same as joining up with your biggest rival to fix the TV money so that the other clubs in the league get f all in comparison to you.

Hence I'm with City on this one. They have been targeted by the European cartel, on whose behalf these rules were imposed to keep themselves ever rich and those oiky upstarts like City, wolves, Newcastle, potentially us from challenging the elite - notwithstanding that city wolves Newcastle and us have a lot more history than, say, PSG.

LordBob
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by LordBob » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:03 pm

UEFA are no longer fit for purpose and haven't been for a long time, they detest English success in Europe. I posted some time ago about the corruption that led to deaths at Heysel stadium brought about by UEFA 'organisation' Liverpool, the holders were given the wrong end the end hastily patched up Liverpool fans were told they couldn't have more tickets yet they opened the Liverpool end to innocent Juventus fans the Liverpool fans were angry the stampede collapsed the shoddy wall and the rest is history. UEFA didn't envisage deaths but they wanted trouble and an excuse to ban ALL ENGLISH clubs for 5 years, I also stated I became interested in this event when while working in Belgium I became a friend of a guy whose brother in law was a police sergeant on duty that very night, UEFA don't like us.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:04 pm

And there was me thinking it was to ensure that clubs didn’t just spend as much as they wanted even if they had the money to help ensure the competition (as in the leagues) didn’t just end up being about who had the most money. Now, if you have the money you can legitimately buy the league. At least they all want to buy our league, so that keeps a little competition for some of them.

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:15 am

"UEFA don't like us."

That's why the UK has left the EU. Foreigners don't like us.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2207 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:20 am

ecc wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:15 am
"UEFA don't like us."

That's why the UK has left the EU. Foreigners don't like us.
Strange that. I have spoken to many people who voted to leave because they say they don't like foreigners.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:50 am

LordBob wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:03 pm
UEFA are no longer fit for purpose and haven't been for a long time, they detest English success in Europe. I posted some time ago about the corruption that led to deaths at Heysel stadium brought about by UEFA 'organisation' Liverpool, the holders were given the wrong end the end hastily patched up Liverpool fans were told they couldn't have more tickets yet they opened the Liverpool end to innocent Juventus fans the Liverpool fans were angry the stampede collapsed the shoddy wall and the rest is history. UEFA didn't envisage deaths but they wanted trouble and an excuse to ban ALL ENGLISH clubs for 5 years, I also stated I became interested in this event when while working in Belgium I became a friend of a guy whose brother in law was a police sergeant on duty that very night, UEFA don't like us.
Are you saying that Man city have been unfairly treated by UEFA?

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:49 am

There's a number of clubs who 'act outside the boundaries' in football. Barca, Real Madrid, PSG. At home. Take your pick. City (allegedly) Leicester, Wolves, Bournemouth, Villa, Everton. Probably more. There is a point in why UEFA chose City over Barca and PSG especially. Some major weird stuff goes on at those clubs.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:54 pm

I hope everyone tells Pep Guardiola where to go.

They don't deserve an apology in any shape or form.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53403339

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:24 pm

LordBob wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:03 pm

While I don’t doubt the deep stinking corruption in UEFA ( and FIFA
“The Liverpool fans were angry” :lol:
I’ve heard some bullsh1t excuses but that takes the biscuit tbf. They charged the Juve fans with absolute violent intent which then lead to the crush and collapse .)

Any other gems ? was Hitler “just misunderstood” ? was the iceberg that hit the Titantic “ just out for a swim after a tough day at sea”...

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:27 pm