SD on talksporr in 2 minutes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8727 times

Re: SD on talksporr in 2 minutes

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:34 pm

Good points, Erasmus.

Knowing how difficult it has been, to attract players, even when we were first in Europe, to just let some go, who were proven, seems odd, especially when it was in defiance of the manager's wishes.

To undermine him, was very, very poor. That can only be the chairman, being head turned by Rigg, who probably painted a rosy, bargains galore, picture. A bird in the hand, was probably Mr Ds view, based on past windows.

Let's hope his powers are restored, behind the scenes.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3106 times
Has Liked: 3824 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:24 pm

With Lennon and Hart, I can understand the desire by Dyche to keep them on for the remainder of the season so the squad stayed together. I can also understand MG’s reluctance to keep them and their reluctance to re-sign.

With Hendrick we should have tied that up ages ago, but then it must be very hard to turn down the riches that await you as a free signing when the end of your contract gets near.

I agree it’s the break up of this group that has hurt Dyche more than the investment. Hopefully the raw emotions have now passed and a few wins will have helped both Dyche and the group move on. I just pray MG is demonstrably pulling out all the stops behind the scenes to get the players Dyche wants for next season.

blackburnturfite
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by blackburnturfite » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:39 pm
you can listen here on play-back from 5 mins in

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-agai ... 594638000/
Thanks C.P. l appreciate that thread, very positive statement from S.D.

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by levraiclaret » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:50 pm

jtv wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:13 pm
Does he really know? He knows what the impact of covid on this season's finances is going to be? He knows what the impact next season is going to be?
What he most probably won't know is the impact of covid on Mr Garlick's recruitment business and that may well influence how much the Chairman is prepared to sanction spending.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5049 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:56 pm

Erasmus wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:41 pm
My impression all along has been that what really upset him was the failure to keep members of group on board. Building up such a tight squad where everyone looks out for everyone else brings with a real sense of group solidarity, and I think what really hurt was that we weren't able or willing to keep Aaron Lennon and Jeff Hendrick. Perhaps Joe Hart as well who even when not playing was very much a part of the band of brothers who make up our squad.
It's impossible to refresh the squad, and bring in younger players, without letting somebody go. It's always sad to say goodbye to our players, but it's inevitable that we will. Dyche said himself that the squad was old. Being limited to the size of the squad we can afford to carry, losing players is an unavoidable consequence, and Dyche is bound to understand that. So crying over losing players is unlikely, Jeff apart.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:12 pm

Just listened, great interview - very insightful and balanced. Thanks for paying Chester.

Love Dyche. Made a good point about prices demanded for players being higher than they were. Think we also have to accept that as a more established PL team, we’ll be perceived differently (richer) than we were when Pope, JBG, Tarks, et al were signed. It’s all part of our development to adapt and evolve to the challenges of being a more successful club.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3163 times
Has Liked: 6754 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:18 pm

He came over absolutely brilliantly. He's very comfortable with the media. Mentioned a lot of our players as you would if they were your mates.
I don't think he's in a hurry to leave, and I really can't envisage another club/chairman giving him the same level of control that he has at Burnley

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:19 am

Erasmus wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:41 pm
My impression all along has been that what really upset him was the failure to keep members of group on board. Building up such a tight squad where everyone looks out for everyone else brings with a real sense of group solidarity, and I think what really hurt was that we weren't able or willing to keep Aaron Lennon and Jeff Hendrick. Perhaps Joe Hart as well who even when not playing was very much a part of the band of brothers who make up our squad.
I can't believe that Dyche would have been willing to spend a reputed £5m on Hart's wages for the next year, just to keep him on board for an extra month.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:34 am

levraiclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:50 pm
What he most probably won't know is the impact of covid on Mr Garlick's recruitment business and that may well influence how much the Chairman is prepared to sanction spending.
Why would that matter ? they are 2 entirely separate businesses.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:03 am

claretandy wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:34 am
Why would that matter ? they are 2 entirely separate businesses.
Can understand why if one business is struggling it would affect his sentiment. If one is going down the pan you’re more likely to want to protect the other. Shouldn’t though, as you say.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1330 times

Post by summitclaret » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:33 am

dsr wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:19 am
I can't believe that Dyche would have been willing to spend a reputed £5m on Hart's wages for the next year, just to keep him on board for an extra month.
Only an idiot would do that, especially when we were virtually already safe. Same for Lennon to a lesser degree. If Jeff was demanding a significant pay rise, than sorry no chance in the current climate. I remain 100% behi nd Garlick atm. Having said that, we must bring in at least 3 players and move Gibson on in the summer break.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:20 pm

On Gibson,there is no doubting he is a good player and a lot of people (Boro fans) I know up in his home territory are amazed at the stance he has taken...all say to me he is a very level headed bloke and this us very much out of character. Anyway, I doubt very much we wont have any takers for his signature...albeit at possibly only 50% what we paid.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:24 pm

I thought his assessment of Westwood was interesting. Had been crab like in his desire to keep the ball but was encouraged to play higher tariff forward balls. I also don't remember him being so good at disrupting play when we first got him. Some of the credit for his evolution must go to SD it seems.