Travelling Into Europe

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
enduroclaret
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Travelling Into Europe

Post by enduroclaret » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi fellow Clarets. Has anyone travelled into Western Europe (Especially Germany) recently using ferries?
I'm on my way tomorrow to Germany via Harwich to Hook of Holland.
Then a week later returning via the Tunnel.
I was wondering if the ferries are currently busy, are the bars open?
What's the Covid protocol regarding shops, bars, places of interest in Germany? Is it generally busy, or are there less tourists?
We are heading to Hanover then on to Berlin.
Can we just rock up to museums etc....or are we on a booked timed entry, similar to over here?
I'm taking face masks!
Some advice from an actual recent visitor would be handy.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8733 times

Re: Travelling Into Europe

Post by IanMcL » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:21 pm

Maybe slightly helpful but not directly...

Just back from Spain after 1 week there.

Plane outbound good nos but with seats spaced.
Plane home mostly empty.

In Spain. All open but wear marks all the time.

Form to fill in for location detail, while you are there. Sorted in advance.

Coming home, on arrival at airport, they wanted tge UK equivalent form, even no quarantine. Most passengers unaware, so all had to stand in queue, download form on phone, fill it in, with passport detail, flight, booking ref and seat detail. where are you going to stay? When are you leaving!!!

Big pain. That should ve OK on a ferry, you can sit and do the business!

Spain was normal, other than masks at all times. Everywhere open.

enduroclaret

Post by enduroclaret » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:34 pm

Two of us on motorcycles. Ferry tomorrow(Friday) night. Harwich-Hook of Holland, cabin overnight then overnight in Hanover. Then on to Berlin for two nights. Koblenz overnight, then Ypres overnight, back over to Blighty on the tunnel. Quick visit to Chartwell House, overnight near Bedford, morning visit to Bletchley Park, then home.
All the hotels and crossings are pre-booked.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat karatekid

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8534 times
Has Liked: 18271 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:39 pm

enduroclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:34 pm
Two of us on motorcycles. Ferry tomorrow(Friday) night. Harwich-Hook of Holland, cabin overnight then overnight in Hanover. Then on to Berlin for two nights. Koblenz overnight, then Ypres overnight, back over to Blighty on the tunnel. Quick visit to Chartwell House, overnight near Bedford, morning visit to Bletchley Park, then home.
Takes me back 35 years enduroclaret, to some of my adventures on a Suzuki GS850 in the 80's as a single bloke ... enjoy it feller 🙂

👍🙂👍 ride safe
This user liked this post: enduroclaret

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:00 pm

I’m in Portugal now, Manchester airport was the most efficient I’d ever seen it in terms of getting through security. The face masks are annoying but it’s not the end of the world, plus you can take them once you actually get into a bar or whatever.

kritichris
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by kritichris » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:07 pm

I'm on the ferry Sunday, check in at Portsmouth is now 90 mins before sailing and face mask must be worn at all times except in a cabin. The bar is open but they do advise to stay in cabin. Can't leave your vehicle until they tell you after boarding. Cabin doors will be open with key card inside so no need for reception.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8733 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:16 pm

enduroclaret wrote:
Sounds like a spy mission!

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:42 pm

enduroclaret wrote:
Hi enduro, I can't speak for Germany. Have you booked your timed entry to Chartwell and Bletchley? I know they're both now re-opened. Chartwell is brilliant NT property to visit. I've not visited Bletchley, yet. I've heard great reports from friends.

enduroclaret

Post by enduroclaret » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:15 am

We've pre-booked Bletchley Park. As of today Chartwell House is closed, but the the grounds are open.
The National Trust website is a bit confusing and I guess the situation could change by next week.
I'm virtually passing the place heading up from the tunnel so I'll keep my eye on the website and if it's open I'll book.
But I'll go and have a look at the grounds in any case.
I'll post an update on here after I've been on the ferry, to give folk an idea of what to expect if they are travelling by ferry anytime soon.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:30 am

Chartwell is very close to me. The grounds are ok but if the house isn't open then it won't take that long to see everything.

Hever castle, Anne Boleyn's home, is fairly close by and is open, subject to pre-booking. Well worth a visit
This user liked this post: enduroclaret

enduroclaret

Post by enduroclaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:52 am

Well I got back home yesterday after being in Holland, Germany, Belgium and France over the course of 7 days.
The Harwich to Hook of Holland ferry (outward journey) was operating at about a third capacity, with just one bar open.
Masks where required, but not if you were drinking or eating.
Fuel stations and shops no masks required. First stop over was in the centre of Hanover.....but we had second thoughts when we arrived at the hotel, nowhere safe to park the bikes and it was in a really dodgy area, so we found a place outside of the city.
Berlin was very quite, which was great for tourists, everything open, all the places of interest, bars and restaurants open, with very few folk wearing masks.
Ypres was pretty much the same, everything open, it's normally rammed with Brits but very few seem to have travelled. More folk wearing masks in Belgium.
We came back through the tunnel, which was very quiet. We visited Bletchley Park on the way up north....again it was pretty quiet.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum