Extended warranties (cars)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Extended warranties (cars)

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:50 pm

Looking at taking out an extended warranty but not sure which is the right option.

The named cover comes in significantly cheaper. But still seems to cover everything I would need / that would cost a lot to replace / repair.

I have tried the local dealership which said they have no knowledge / unable to advise they just do the work required. (Very helpful, not). I tried online with the manufacturer and they said contact the local dealer. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Despite crap service from both, I think I will need the extended warranty so if anyone (mechanic or otherwise) can give a steer that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
cover.JPG
cover.JPG (36.46 KiB) Viewed 1819 times

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Re: Extended warranties (cars)

Post by Down_Rover » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:29 pm

They would be out of business if they were worth doing business with.

They just play the averages, pay their staff and keep the profit

You could do the same for nothing

Depends on your risk profile

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:37 pm

Down_Rover wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:29 pm
They would be out of business if they were worth doing business with.

They just play the averages, pay their staff and keep the profit

You could do the same for nothing

Depends on your risk profile
I think I know what you are getting at but... Its mainly for piece of mind if an expensive part goes pop.

I have roadside cover and insurance along with a service pack but this is more for expensive repairs / replacements.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:41 pm

Check the small print.

Just been dealing with a warranty company for a Maserati and under their warranty the auxiliary belt and intake hoses aren't covered.

Engine oil leak led to the belt degrading quicker than normal so they eventually coughed up for it, but point blank refused to pay for his intake pipe.
Eye watering money from main dealer for that part :shock:

It's all well and good them saying named parts, but they'll always try to wriggle out of stuff on technicalities.

In regards to engine work they'd want proof of servicing, quality of parts used etc
Same with everything else.

I've seen Citroën reject one engine failure because wrong engine oil used just the once despite the engine failure being common.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:21 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:41 pm
Check the small print.

Just been dealing with a warranty company for a Maserati and under their warranty the auxiliary belt and intake hoses aren't covered.

Engine oil leak led to the belt degrading quicker than normal so they eventually coughed up for it, but point blank refused to pay for his intake pipe.
Eye watering money from main dealer for that part :shock:

It's all well and good them saying named parts, but they'll always try to wriggle out of stuff on technicalities.

In regards to engine work they'd want proof of servicing, quality of parts used etc
Same with everything else.

I've seen Citroën reject one engine failure because wrong engine oil used just the once despite the engine failure being common.
My service pack is with the main dealer. Its only ever been serviced by the main dealer. And only ever used premium oil and fuel.

But the rest you mention is where im a bit limited and was hoping for their steer on things. But they were less than useful.

If I am going to spend hundreds if not more on a warranty I want it to be worth the paper its written on.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:30 pm

Not worth the money IMO, you have to jump through hoops and they will still try and weasel out of paying out.
This user liked this post: charlyt

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:34 pm

You're looking to buy something that's a combination of the car industry and the insurance industry.

Please don't expect a deal that doesn't come with very one sided small print and get out clauses.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:37 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:21 pm
My service pack is with the main dealer. Its only ever been serviced by the main dealer. And only ever used premium oil and fuel.

But the rest you mention is where im a bit limited and was hoping for their steer on things. But they were less than useful.

If I am going to spend hundreds if not more on a warranty I want it to be worth the paper its written on.
A Toyota dealer in the Midlands was caught using the wrong oil, on purpose :lol:

What car is it you've got?

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3191 times
Has Liked: 1872 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:51 pm

Can’t you put aside the payments you would be making into an account?

Obviously it probably wouldn’t cover the total cost, but would go towards it, plus if nothing did go wrong, you would have saved them money to spend elsewhere

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:16 pm

In addition, we recently bought a used car and was offered an extended warranty. We didn't take it for personal reasons but one thing that they did say to us it that the amount of built in electronics these days such as satnav etc...make sure they are covered as they can be extremely expensive to fix if not covered....

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:01 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:37 pm
A Toyota dealer in the Midlands was caught using the wrong oil, on purpose :lol:

What car is it you've got?
Really?

Golf R estate.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:02 am

wilks_bfc wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:51 pm

Obviously it probably wouldn’t cover the total cost, but would go towards it, plus if nothing did go wrong, you would have saved them money to spend elsewhere
That’s not a bad suggestion tbf.

It’s more the peace of mind that theoretically engine goes pop it’s covered. But seems it’s not as cut and dry as that.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:04 am

ClaretDiver wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:16 pm
In addition, we recently bought a used car and was offered an extended warranty. We didn't take it for personal reasons but one thing that they did say to us it that the amount of built in electronics these days such as satnav etc...make sure they are covered as they can be extremely expensive to fix if not covered....
Absolutely. In some of the other brands I’ve had that let’s say are completely slated for reliability (particularly on electrics) I’d have definitely needed it. (So called reliable British - one in particular, brand new car had a ridiculous electric fault that was apparently very common. That was covered under warranty thankfully. And bailed out massively by the aa).

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:25 am

Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:01 am
Really?

Golf R estate.
Yes really, I remember reading the article.

Every oil supplier is regularly checked in the UK, as are main dealers especially if there are complaints.

BMW EU recommend 10w60 for the M3, but in the USA there was a class action lawsuit because engines were failing as the oil wasn't doing its job, so the USA uses a different grade oil to Europe, but if the engine goes pop over here and you haven't used 10w60 then BMW would legally be able to reject a warranty.

In regards to the Golf R, older it gets then it may develop faults with the injectors or timing chain.
Some have issues with the inlet manifolds.
They're all potentially serious engine problems that could be covered under most warranties.

Word of advice though, check the small print on what happens if you have breakdown cover, or report a fault but drive the vehicle to a workshop when you know there's an engine/clutch issue.
I had a customer who had clutch issues but because he drove it to the workshop and didn't get it recovered after ringing the warranty company to report the initial fault, the warranty company would only pay for the Clutch, not the flywheel that was also knackered.
They used the excuse that he drove it, thus worsening the condition of the flywheel :roll:
Last edited by GodIsADeeJay81 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:27 am

wilks_bfc wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:51 pm

Some dealerships and indie garages have schemes like this already in place.
That requires a large amount of trust though in my view.

gingerpele
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by gingerpele » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:23 am

Try warrantywise.co.uk,local company that says their warranty is the best in the UK.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:00 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:25 am

In regards to the Golf R, older it gets then it may develop faults with the injectors or timing chain.
Some have issues with the inlet manifolds.
They're all potentially serious engine problems that could be covered under most warranties.

Word of advice though, check the small print on what happens if you have breakdown cover, or report a fault but drive the vehicle to a workshop when you know there's an engine/clutch issue.
I had a customer who had clutch issues but because he drove it to the workshop and didn't get it recovered after ringing the warranty company to report the initial fault, the warranty company would only pay for the Clutch, not the flywheel that was also knackered.
They used the excuse that he drove it, thus worsening the condition of the flywheel :roll:
On that basis alone I suspect its worth looking at then?

It has been well looked after and well driven and serviced when needed so should be in as good nick as most but...

So the 'named parts' cover, covers the engine. Its automatic so no clutch as such.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:32 am

There is no substitute for the warranty offered by the manufacurer from new. Also very good are the APPROVED USED programmes offered by manufacurers ie NETWORK Q from Vauxhall

Having worked in the motor industry most of my life before retiring one of the best extended warranty companies I dealt with were Care Care Plan. You can see them on the internet.They provided extended warranties for the manufacturer I worked for and in fact ran our approved used programmes. We experienced very few issues and they work with a number of the manufacturers and work to high standards

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:58 am

Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:00 am

It has been well looked after and well driven and serviced when needed so should be in as good nick as most but...

So the 'named parts' cover, covers the engine. Its automatic so no clutch as such.
If its fully automatic then yeah no clutch, semi/DSG then it does but its way more complicated, I know I'm a qualified fitter.

Yeah it's worth looking at.

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:10 am

Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:00 am

I suspect that the 'manufacturer extended warranties' through a dealer are good. Unless I am wrong they should cover virtually the same components as a vehicle from new.
In most instances the extra warranty will maintain a similar level of cover as the existing warranty provides. https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/ ... -explained
I'm a bit dubious about other extended warranties. I remember my Father taking one of these out on a used car he bought. It had the name of a famous breakdown cover company attached to it. When the car needed fixing they didn't want to know. The repair was not a costly one. After several phone calls we just gave up on it. If it had been a more expensive repair we would probably have had to take it to the small claims court or something but it just wasn't worth the hassle.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:18 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:58 am
If its fully automatic then yeah no clutch, semi/DSG then it does but its way more complicated, I know I'm a qualified fitter.

Yeah it's worth looking at.
Yes its the DSG.

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:21 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:25 am
Yes really, I remember reading the article.

Every oil supplier is regularly checked in the UK, as are main dealers especially if there are complaints.

BMW EU recommend 10w60 for the M3, but in the USA there was a class action lawsuit because engines were failing as the oil wasn't doing its job, so the USA uses a different grade oil to Europe, but if the engine goes pop over here and you haven't used 10w60 then BMW would legally be able to reject a warranty.
How would they know which oil has been used? Do they require proof that it has been serviced correctly (with manufacturer recommended oil) when you take it in for repair? Failing that, the only other way they could tell is if they sent the oil to a lab unless the oil is so thick that it is obviously the wrong grade (unlikely).

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:08 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:21 am
How would they know which oil has been used? Do they require proof that it has been serviced correctly (with manufacturer recommended oil) when you take it in for repair? Failing that, the only other way they could tell is if they sent the oil to a lab unless the oil is so thick that it is obviously the wrong grade (unlikely).
Every oil manufacturer can test oil to see what it is.
If there is a warranty dispute relating to oil or engine failure then the oil will be checked to ensure its the correct grade and meets the requirements.

We mainly use Comma oil because its approved by all manufacturers for warranty reasons.
Euro car parts own engine oil doesn't meet most of them despite their claim to the contrary.

My sisters Ford knows when the oil has been in there too long, it monitors the degradation and tells the ecu, which stores a code.
The maserati knows when it's had the wrong oil put in.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:11 pm

Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:18 am
Yes its the DSG.
DSG are several clutches put together, it's complicated and an arse to change.
The Mclaren will change gear in 0.3 seconds because its got DSG.
They're designed to be more efficient by selecting gears in advance etc, just expensive when they fail and only specially trained and certified techs can change them.

Had a VW T5 in recently that had a rattle from the gearbox but its just about inside the original warranty by a couple of weeks.
VW have tried to fob him off, saying its a normal rattle so we suggested that he asks them to start up another one they've got there to see if the rattle is 'normal'.
At that point they accepted that it needs repairing.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:58 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:11 pm
DSG are several clutches put together, it's complicated and an arse to change.
The Mclaren will change gear in 0.3 seconds because its got DSG.
They're designed to be more efficient by selecting gears in advance etc, just expensive when they fail and only specially trained and certified techs can change them.

Had a VW T5 in recently that had a rattle from the gearbox but its just about inside the original warranty by a couple of weeks.
VW have tried to fob him off, saying its a normal rattle so we suggested that he asks them to start up another one they've got there to see if the rattle is 'normal'.
At that point they accepted that it needs repairing.
Found VW a bit of a mare to deal with so far. may be just the garage in question (Blackburn) which I was warned about by others. Having never owned a VW before I was confident that they were both reliable motors and excellent customer service.

The car I have no concerns with. Seems as reliable as any car I have had some of which are more 'premium' brands. And the R is bloody lovely to drive 8-)

KateR
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:18 pm

my opinion is they are a waste of money but there are exceptions, like taking out travel insurance which we have never done. Yet a lot will depend upon your car, so if 4 year old just out of warranty and low mileage even less use but maybe if older and a car with known failing maybe worth it. I agree with the open an account and put money in it for when it/if fails, hopefully build up to help with other things and when you want a new/different car.

Burt
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Burt » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:20 pm

Great car, I ran one for 2 years from new for work on one of the crazy lease deals, put 40k miles on it - not a single mechanical issue other than being stolen & recovered!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:51 pm

Burt wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:20 pm
not a single issue other than being stolen & recovered!
That was my only reservation with buying one of these :cry:

But you are spot on with the rest 8-)

I think there were some ridiculous lease deals on these a few years ago. But having bought it rather than lease and soon to be out of warranty its the first time ive not had a car under warranty and intend to drive into europe with it.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:10 pm

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:58 pm
Found VW a bit of a mare to deal with so far. may be just the garage in question (Blackburn)
A mare? In Blackburn? Was that a Freudian slip?

Billyblah
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:21 pm

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:58 pm
Found VW a bit of a mare to deal with so far. may be just the garage in question (Blackburn) which I was warned about by others. Having never owned a VW before I was confident that they were both reliable motors and excellent customer service.

The car I have no concerns with. Seems as reliable as any car I have had some of which are more 'premium' brands. And the R is bloody lovely to drive 8-)
From previous experience, I wouldn't touch a VW. I found them to be a very arrogant company to deal with.