BFC TRANSFER NEWS SUMMER/AUTUMN 2020 (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Re: BFC TRANSFER NEWS SUMMER 2020(MUST CONTAIN LINK)

Post by warksclaret » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:21 pm

Talking of right backs, the talk down this way is that Villa have made an approach for Kieran Trippier

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:35 pm

ClaretAL wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:22 pm
Sampdoria are willing to offload some of their players to the Premier League this summer and midfielder Ronaldo Vieira is one player who has reportedly attracted the interest of Burnley.
Spurs and Leicester interested. We can forget this one.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:31 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:35 pm
Spurs and Leicester interested. We can forget this one.
Wish we’d just go in for Eliasson.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:54 pm

There's an overarching problem with Adam Smith: he isn't very good at football.
This user liked this post: Giftonsnoidea

SGr

Post by SGr » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:58 pm

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:05 pm

It could be a ploy to make Forrest sharpen their pencil.

Rojales Claret
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Rojales Claret » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:05 pm

It always amuses me when posters on here describe someone who has played 200 + games in the premier league as 'he isn't very good at football'.

SGr

Post by SGr » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:07 pm

Rojales Claret wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:05 pm
It always amuses me when posters on here describe someone who has played 200 + games in the premier league as 'he isn't very good at football'.
Obviously everything is relative :lol:

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:14 pm

ClaretAL wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:05 pm
It could be a ploy to make Forrest sharpen their pencil.
They play different positions

burnmark
Been Liked: 602 times
Has Liked: 477 times

Post by burnmark » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:14 pm

Smith - haven’t we been linked with him before when he was at Spurs? I’m sure it was under Howe which makes sense seeing as he got him for Bournemouth.

SGr

Post by SGr » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:42 pm

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:46 pm

Classic Boden.

Chocolate teapots spring to mind.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:55 pm

Not sure he’s the best defender but going forward he’s better than both Lowton and Bardsley. Trying to push forward a deal for another right back perhaps?

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:01 pm

Can't place the fella as a standout performer and at that age I'd assume he's to beef up cover for right-back/right midfield. Rather than a player we're aiming to become established ahead of anyone in particular.

Hedontplayforyou

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:03 pm

Prediction :-

New right back to sign in next 2-3 days , and it won’t be Adam Smith.

Maehle or Matty Cash maybe....?

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:06 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:03 pm
Prediction :-

New right back to sign in next 2-3 days , and it won’t be Adam Smith.

Maehle or Matty Cash maybe....?
I remember my first day as a Burnley supporter ;)
These 2 users liked this post: cockneyclaret Colburn_Claret

Hedontplayforyou

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:14 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:06 pm
I remember my first day as a Burnley supporter ;)
Just a bit of fun my friend , with a sprinkle of optimism .
This user liked this post: ksrclaret

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:17 pm

I thought the whole point of giving Bardsley an extension was so we didn't have to worry about signing a right back for another 12 months? If money's a bit tight is carrying 3 right backs in the squad all on about 40k a week the best use of our budget?
These 2 users liked this post: huw.Y.WattfromWare AfloatinClaret

Hedontplayforyou

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:21 pm

Lowton May be moved on?

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:22 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:17 pm
I thought the whole point of giving Bardsley an extension was so we didn't have to worry about signing a right back for another 12 months? If money's a bit tight is carrying 3 right backs in the squad all on about 40k a week the best use of our budget?
It is a bit of an odd one. Just going off what I am reading. He's capable of playing right midfield. So I guess he'd (assuming there's anything in it) be our right sided player vying for a place with JBG. Or as a back up full-back.
I'd have hoped we'd be a lot more adventurous if we were looking for a right sided player but on the plus side. He knows what the Premier League is about so he'd, in theory; slip right in.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:45 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:56 am
We won't pay price for Worrall...... Gibson won't go to forest because he wants to go to boro
He can't seriously bemoan not playing football and then with his next breath demand a move to his preferred club, especially if that club is Boro. I would be surprised if Boro could afford to buy him for a reasonable price or pay us more than a fraction of his wages if he went there on loan.

If we got something like 10K of his rumoured 40K wages paid it isn't worth it to give him what he wants and open up the way for him to play football again. In that scenario we would be paying him 1.5m to play for Boro and on top of that we would be also be writing off the equivalent of a 1/4 of the transfer fee we paid them ( on top of last year ).

We paid 15m to Boro for him, which works out at 3.75m a year in my books. Added it all together it would be like waving goodbye to 5m so he can play football for his favourite team in the upcoming season.

The bigger problem is that if we sanctioned a generous deal like that it might well encourage Boro to try the same thing next year - taking him to the end of his contract and opening the door to them signing him for nothing.

I thought Gibson was an excellent signing, no hint of a bad character, plenty of talent, good age and at the time a good price paid for him. None of us know the inside story of everything that happened, but things seemed to take a steep nose dive after the last Winter window, which may or may not have resulted in a frayed temper or two.

I can't imagine Dyche wanting to deplete our squad at that particular time. So whoever initiated the thought that he might be allowed to leave for anything other than a permanent deal at a good price was responsible for lighting the fire that is currently burning us and arguably him.

I would rather we held our ground and left him to rot until he meets us half way. Earning 500K to send him to Boro for the season on a loan wouldn't be worth it. Another few months of sitting on the side lines and watching others play football ( until the winter window ) might convince him to crack the whip at his agent, resulting in a greater impetus to find a deal that works for everyone ( like a permanent move for a decent transfer fee ).

I'm not usually one for advocating the drawing of a hard line in the sand, but if he wants to play then someone will need to pay us an acceptable amount to make it happen. If it comes down to accepting part wages and no loan fee I would be happy to see him serve out his full contract on the sidelines.
This user liked this post: frankinwales

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1485 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:16 pm

Matty Cash my preferred choice and Giibson told hes the sweetener in the deal or Uncle can buy him back .No loan as said previously we want him off the books not subsidising his desire to move to Boro

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:32 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:57 am
Our scouting network is still a work on progress.We need to develop a comprehensive system similar to Brentfords highly successful one.
Our new scouting set up has had two years and a huge increase in investment and staff. So far they have achieved the square route of **** all. Jay Rod was on the wish list of Sean before the change and Martin Hodge had been tracking and communicating with Brownhill for a long time, before lady luck dropped everything in place to make the signing of him possible. We are now semi-sniffing around Worrall, another player we have been looking at for quite awhile.

In comparison, look at Stuttgart. When Sven Mislintat arrived the club had just been relegated, their recruitment was a complete mess and the entire club was in Chaos. It took him a month to ship out players, swelling the clubs coffers by £70, He then spent £20m of that quickly assembling a squad that won promotion at the first time of asking. As soon as that promotion was assured he signed six new players and sold two at a net cost of £6m.

One of the players he bought was Waldemar Anton for £3m, who reminds me of Tarks and in my opinion would have been a very good signing to fill our back up left sided centre back position. During that time our recruitment team were still acting like " busy fools ", filing 40 reports a day and having interesting discussion, interrupted only by an embarrassing how to use a simple Wyscout UI interview.

Our scouting network shouldn't be a work in progress after two years, it should be generating positive results and we should be seeing a healthy return on our considerable investment by now. Shifting sands, we did well not to lose any players, irons in the fire, small steps and it all takes time isn't going to be good enough.

The elephant in the room that nobody has talked about so far is our depleted squad and how that could affect our bargaining power in this window. We can't see out the coming season with what we have and every club will know that all to well.

After Covid hit, letting so many players walk out of the door at once ( for one reason and another ) was only going to work in our favour if we got out of the blocks early ( as soon as we knew we were safe and while the futures of other clubs were still up in the air ). Amidst that confusion, and with less competition, we could and should have done very well for ourselves. However, we dawdled and filled all those days with discussions and the filing of ever more scout reports.

And here we are, less than a month before the season starts, with a lot of work still to do. As the clock ticks down, and other clubs recognise we NEED players, they will capitalise on that and price gouge us. We have lost whatever advantage we might have had, because when you NEED something you either end up paying more than you want or you keep to your budget and end up buying things you don't really want.

It's a classic blood in the water scenario. The nearer we get to the end of this window the weaker our position will become. Forget about scouting players, our overall transfer strategy seems like a mess and that has nothing to do with time and ongoing development, it is down to judgement and the quality of our market awareness / planning.
These 2 users liked this post: superdimitri yosserhughes

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:32 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:45 pm
The only upside I can see is that we “might” still owe Boro. Maybe a deal can be done to negate that with a smaller fee coming our way. We certainly shouldn’t be doing Boro any favours, they’ve never done us any. Malcolm Smith, Patrick Bamford, Mel Gibson!!!

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:54 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:32 pm
Our new scouting set up has had two years and a huge increase in investment and staff. So far they have achieved the square route of **** all. Jay Rod was on the wish list of Sean before the change and Martin Hodge had been tracking and communicating with Brownhill for a long time, before lady luck dropped everything in place to make the signing of him possible. We are now semi-sniffing around Worrall, another player we have been looking at for quite awhile.

In comparison, look at Stuttgart. When Sven Mislintat arrived the club had just been relegated, their recruitment was a complete mess and the entire club was in Chaos. It took him a month to ship out players, swelling the clubs coffers by £70, He then spent £20m of that quickly assembling a squad that won promotion at the first time of asking. As soon as that promotion was assured he signed six new players and sold two at a net cost of £6m.

One of the players he bought was Waldemar Anton for £3m, who reminds me of Tarks and in my opinion would have been a very good signing to fill our back up left sided centre back position. During that time our recruitment team were still acting like " busy fools ", filing 40 reports a day and having interesting discussion, interrupted only by an embarrassing how to use a simple Wyscout UI interview.

Our scouting network shouldn't be a work in progress after two years, it should be generating positive results and we should be seeing a healthy return on our considerable investment by now. Shifting sands, we did well not to lose any players, irons in the fire, small steps and it all takes time isn't going to be good enough.

The elephant in the room that nobody has talked about so far is our depleted squad and how that could affect our bargaining power in this window. We can't see out the coming season with what we have and every club will know that all to well.

After Covid hit, letting so many players walk out of the door at once ( for one reason and another ) was only going to work in our favour if we got out of the blocks early ( as soon as we knew we were safe and while the futures of other clubs were still up in the air ). Amidst that confusion, and with less competition, we could and should have done very well for ourselves. However, we dawdled and filled all those days with discussions and the filing of ever more scout reports.

And here we are, less than a month before the season starts, with a lot of work still to do. As the clock ticks down, and other clubs recognise we NEED players, they will capitalise on that and price gouge us. We have lost whatever advantage we might have had, because when you NEED something you either end up paying more than you want or you keep to your budget and end up buying things you don't really want.

It's a classic blood in the water scenario. The nearer we get to the end of this window the weaker our position will become. Forget about scouting players, our overall transfer strategy seems like a mess and that has nothing to do with time and ongoing development, it is down to judgement and the quality of our market awareness / planning.
I don't always agree with LTL, but you raise some valid concerns, we don't appear to have a coherent transfer strategy, are we looking at young talent from the lower leagues we can develop, or experienced pro's who can fit into our framework from the off, and our overseas network seems non-existent, which for a PL club is poor at best, now whether it's the case that players have been identified by the recruitment team, and Sean doesn't fancy them no-one on here knows for certain, but you do have to question exactly what Mike Rigg is earning his salary for.

I think most people realise we can't compete with many other PL clubs in terms of transfer fees and wages, therefore we need to try and produce some rabbits out of hats, not chasing journeymen like Worrall for £10m.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:14 pm

Is there any evidence Gibson is desperate to go back to Boro, apart from a throwaway line by Nixon? You'd think after the last 2 years he'd just be desperate to play football anywhere.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:19 pm

In terms of right backs, yes we do have 2 right backs. I think Lowton has been a great acquisition, SD has got the best out of him but currently a shadow of his form several seasons ago . Think it was wise to get Bardsley to sign up another year in view of our squad size, but thought that post lockdown he was disappointing going forwards. He is a solid defender and has bags of experience however full backs have become key players in the PL and major contributors of goals, and Phil is never going to try to beat the opposition full back on and whip in a cross.

For me right back is where we looked weakest in our last 7-8 games. Be interesting to see how many assists our two full backs had last year. I suspect Mee and Tarks had more. Didn't Trippier have around 16 assists when we got promoted. If we are going to continue with two strikers its vital we have a right back that's very athletic, good defender obviously, but can pose a threat going forward

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:25 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:14 pm
Is there any evidence Gibson is desperate to go back to Boro, apart from a throwaway line by Nixon? You'd think after the last 2 years he'd just be desperate to play football anywhere.
You'd think so wouldn't you, but Gibson is holding out for a return to Boro by all accounts, why he wants to go to a struggling Championship club beats me, but who knows what his thought process is, whatever we need to try and move him on. he's becoming a millstone round our neck, and any wage savings we can accrue will hopefully free up funds for any incomings in terms of both transfers and salaries.

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:34 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
He's doing what any spoilt brat would do. Go running back to his family. That being his uncle who owns the club and the club he supports. Football is pretty tight knit. It'll be known inside football what he's done and that might put a lot off as well. Might have put his own uncle off for all we know.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:39 pm

Question for CT. How many first team signings do you think we will make before our first game. I ask you this because you seem to have more insight than most on here. Not asking for names just how many.

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:43 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:25 pm
You'd think so wouldn't you, but Gibson is holding out for a return to Boro by all accounts, why he wants to go to a struggling Championship club beats me, but who knows what his thought process is, whatever we need to try and move him on. he's becoming a millstone round our neck, and any wage savings we can accrue will hopefully free up funds for any incomings in terms of both transfers and salaries.

If he holds out for another 12 months he might be playing in the 3rd tier.......& subject to a salary cap!

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:50 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:25 pm
Can’t see us getting more than £10k pw of the alleged £45k off the books from any Championship club.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:53 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
None that I’m aware of. I think it’s exaggerated at best, entirely fabricated at worst. If a decent Championship club (I.e. Norwich, Forrest) were interested in him, he’d be daft not to go.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:54 pm

rob63 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:43 pm
If he holds out for another 12 months he might be playing in the 3rd tier.......& subject to a salary cap!
Yes that's what I don't understand about Gibson's attitude, I've no doubt some of the ambitious Championship clubs would be interested in him, at that level he's shown he can be a solid defender, somebody like Norwich, or maybe even Bournemouth would benefit from signing him, and either of those teams are much more likely to challenge for automatic promotion, or at worst a top 6 place, I know the Championship is an unpredictable league, but you can't really see Boro troubling the top of the table, even with Colin at the helm.

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:12 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:50 pm
Can’t see us getting more than £10k pw of the alleged £45k off the books from any Championship club.
If they only want to pay £10kpw off his wages it'll have to be a decent priced guaranteed purchase deal at the end of the loan, or it won't be worth our while.

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:55 pm

If Gibson goes back to Boro and we fund most of his wages I would be disappointed. He thinks he can have it all his way. No he can't, and I am sure the board and management at Burnley think the same. He has to believe he will not play another game for the next two years to come to his senses.
These 2 users liked this post: Woodleyclaret Woonderbah

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:36 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:

So basically our scouting team are doing nowt and we should buy any Tom dick and Harry. As for prices it will always be high and rightly so the money we make being a premier League club.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:57 am

Wait, we have a new scouting network?

Scouting for Burnley has to be the easiest job in the world, you can do nothing and still get paid for it.

I don't get why were even bothering. May as well do away with senior scouting and just give Dyche's son a laptop with Wyscout installed and he like anyone could pick out the kind of targets we look at.

Rigg out!

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:15 am

Fez
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by Fez » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:36 am

(MUST CONTAIN LINK)

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:42 am

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:59 am

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:54 pm
I don't always agree with LTL, but you raise some valid concerns, we don't appear to have a coherent transfer strategy, are we looking at young talent from the lower leagues we can develop, or experienced pro's who can fit into our framework from the off, and our overseas network seems non-existent, which for a PL club is poor at best, now whether it's the case that players have been identified by the recruitment team, and Sean doesn't fancy them no-one on here knows for certain, but you do have to question exactly what Mike Rigg is earning his salary for.

I think most people realise we can't compete with many other PL clubs in terms of transfer fees and wages, therefore we need to try and produce some rabbits out of hats, not chasing journeymen like Worrall for £10m.
Mike Rigg, absolutely no use in having someone in the position if the men at the helm refuse to "stretch" the budget....MG now appears to be out of his comfort zone at this level, certainly when it comes to taking a calculated risk.

andysisson
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by andysisson » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:19 am

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:26 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:

Very well put, found myself agreeing with a lot of that, many feel or can see the same of you.
Mr Dyche also must think similar as he regularly stresses the same thing.

Of course we cant go out and cherry pick every player we want, nor can we pay every asking price we are told.

However as we know that's the case, we need to concentrate our efforts in other areas or make the relative plans.

I've heard the line "every other club is scouting similar players as us" or every club has a profile on "nearly every player" if that's the case it works both ways, yes we will more often than not miss out, but also we should also pick up a couple a long the way.

Yes Mr Dyche has worked miracles with Pope, Tarky, Taylor but that was about 4 years ago, since our record breaking 7th placed finish what has been the plan, wheres the next Tarky, Pope or Taylor. Instead it could be argued we havent genuinely strengthened the starting 11, nor have we invested in players to develop.
It's been a case of plugging gaps with ageing pros or filling the bench with players who arent genuine 1st team players or ones with an eye on a year or two time like Pope , Tarky or Taylor.

As for the argument that "our scouting network is working and keeps us in the premier league" I'm afraid IMO Mr Dyche keeps us in the premier league.
Our failure to plan and land targets in the last 3 or 4 windows is coming back to haunt us, again which many including Mr Dyche predicted a couple of years ago.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:37 am

andysisson wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:19 am
Potential return for Defour? :lol:
https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/fo ... ub-2951470
"Potential return for Defour? :lol:" Why the laughter? He'd be better with one leg than some of the donkeys we've been linked with. Don't rule it out. There's been a lot of chat about Defour in recent weeks and I wondered then if he was angling for a return.

Class act.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:38 am

andysisson wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:19 am
Potential return for Defour? :lol:
https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/fo ... ub-2951470
How can anybody read that and still continue this “Defour always wanted to be on the physios table “ rubbish

Legend.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:41 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:37 am
"Potential return for Defour? :lol:" Why the laughter? He'd be better with one leg than some of the donkeys we've been linked with. Don't rule it out. There's been a lot of chat about Defour in recent weeks and I wondered then if he was angling for a return.

Class act.
He was a class act, but past not present tense. As a coach maybe of use, who knows, but those who do it well, often cannot teach it.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:45 am

Also sounds like he may want to try and get back here if the irons he has in the fire go cold.

With the Covid situation I did lots of running, lots of cycling, so I think my condition has to be one of the best in my career," said Defour.

"It's strange because the market is open until October but clubs are still having financial difficulties so it's difficult. We have interest, we have some concrete options, but not something I am totally convinced by. We've had some offers but at the moment it's not good enough.

"You need a whole package deal; the city you're playing in, the team you're playing for and, at my age, finances as well."

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:46 am

It makes you wonder what Defour would be like within a coaching environment. Certainly a real talent on the pitch. If that came through into his coaching could be a very good acquisition.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:54 am

MACCA wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:26 am

As for the argument that "our scouting network is working and keeps us in the premier league" I'm afraid IMO Mr Dyche keeps us in the premier league.
Our failure to plan and land targets in the last 3 or 4 windows is coming back to haunt us, again which many including Mr Dyche predicted a couple of years ago.
In what way is it coming back to haunt us?

Even if the squad stays the same we don't look in too much danger.