BFC TRANSFER NEWS SUMMER/AUTUMN 2020 (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Re: BFC TRANSFER NEWS SUMMER 2020(MUST CONTAIN LINK)

Post by TVC15 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:08 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:56 pm
Lot of time for you CT, but that's just nonsense. Is he any worse than the player we spent 15 million on
Yes all the evidence suggests that he was significantly worse than Gibson.
Gibson had played and captained a team that were at the top of the league with Burnley and spent time in the Premier League.
Gibson was picked in the England squad.

Worrall has played for a team who have during his time rarely troubled the top of the league, never been near to been promoted and been bang average.

So whilst one may have potential to be developed the other which we paid £15m for had pedigree and experience.

What happened subsequently to Gibson is irrelevant in terms of the quality of the player we signed.

And as posted still not sure why any credibility is being given to this £4m bid when it was widely reported we had offered this amount plus Gibson a couple of weeks ago. Does not make any sense so not sure why the club is being criticised for something it’s pretty unlikely to have done.
This user liked this post: KateR

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:51 pm

I’ll be honest, I’m totally indifferent to the centre half situation. As long as we avoid another Gibson situation I don’t believe we’d recruit an objectively “bad” centre half. My focus is on other areas.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:31 pm

I can imagine a situation where we see a player that SD thinks:

- They will fit culturally within the club
- They will work to our framework and their strengths help reduce our weaknesses.
- They could do a job in this position

The player may not be a 'high value target' but because we want that player, clubs will inflate their prices - just as we would if someone like City/Utd came looking for one of our players.

The value placed on a player could be very dependent on the club interested. Its not a fair/logical market unfortunately. You will will either pay or you wont.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3111 times
Has Liked: 3829 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:58 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:47 pm
And both those were Nixon
That was my point. He seems to be making it up as he goes along. I think he just forgot last weeks article included Gibson when he wrote this weeks. Must be hard to remember all the lies you are telling.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:00 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:50 pm
But don't we still owe money on Gibson to Boro?
Allegedly mate.

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:27 am

Let's await what info Boden can share with us.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:02 am

CFS wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:27 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1750 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:10 am

MACCA wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:35 pm
Matty Cash has his own thread , read through that.

I tells you everything you needed to know, and I dont think you'll need to read past the first page.

Never in a million years were we going to potentially break outmr transfer record for a 3rd right back, especially one with no PL experience, when our money is as tight as it is
I’ll be amazed if we break our transfer record again for anyone under the current regime. Those days are gone.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:11 am

CFS wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:27 am
"As and when I'm told anything"

"Been told to stand down"

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:27 am

AndyClaret wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:11 am

Lav it

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:13 am

AndyClaret wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:11 am

Nail on the head
Doesn't do any investigating, just waits till the club tell him what he can report, probably a really nice guy, but won't go against the media team, as that would mean an end to his Thursday morning telephone call with Sean.

nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:18 am

We need our own version of Fabrizio Romano. Now that’s a guy who knows how to report breaking transfer news.

agreenwood

Post by agreenwood » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:27 am

Grumps wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:13 am
Nail on the head
Doesn't do any investigating, just waits till the club tell him what he can report, probably a really nice guy, but won't go against the media team, as that would mean an end to his Thursday morning telephone call with Sean.
In fairness I don’t think the role of many local reporters is what it was. He appears to be responsible for all manner of content across numerous local media outlets under the same umbrella company.

In any event, his transfer story output is no worse than Andy Jones of The Athletic who appears to have more freedom than Boden to focus football stories.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:50 am

agreenwood wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:27 am
In fairness I don’t think the role of many local reporters is what it was. He appears to be responsible for all manner of content across numerous local media outlets under the same umbrella company.

In any event, his transfer story output is no worse than Andy Jones of The Athletic who appears to have more freedom than Boden to focus football stories.
The local reporters for Leeds, Brighton and Forrest to name a few, have always known more about what's happening when we've been dealing with those clubs, than any of our local reporters have.

agreenwood

Post by agreenwood » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:09 am

Grumps wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:50 am
The local reporters for Leeds, Brighton and Forrest to name a few, have always known more about what's happening when we've been dealing with those clubs, than any of our local reporters have.
I would imagine the budgets of larger town/city media allows their chief reporters to focus solely on football clubs. They probably aren’t required to report on local hockey etc like Boden. Quite a few of the local reporters at the bigger clubs have jumped ship to The Athletic, which probably tells you something about the financial state of local news outlets.

In fact of the clubs you mention, Phil Hay (Leeds), Andy Naylor (Brighton) and Phil Taylor (Forest) were all local newspaper reporters and have defected to The Athletic where the pay and focus purely on their local club will be greater.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:44 am

agreenwood wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:09 am
I would imagine the budgets of larger town/city media allows their chief reporters to focus solely on football clubs. They probably aren’t required to report on local hockey etc like Boden. Quite a few of the local reporters at the bigger clubs have jumped ship to The Athletic, which probably tells you something about the financial state of local news outlets.

In fact of the clubs you mention, Phil Hay (Leeds), Andy Naylor (Brighton) and Phil Taylor (Forest) were all local newspaper reporters and have defected to The Athletic where the pay and focus purely on their local club will be greater.
I don't think he goes and watches the hockey, just sits and wait for the report from the clubs coming in
They were local reporters at the times I referred to, money really isn't the issue if you have the contacts, and prepared to upset the club now and again.
I've no great problems with him reporting the way he does, if that's what he wants, but people on here hanging on his every word, and won't believe anything till he reports it, are living in cloud cuckoo land.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:50 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:40 pm
I’ve no idea. Can’t recall seeing Fry on more than one occasion and on that occasion he was poor. As for Worrall, I’ve no idea what would be our value but to accuse us as being deluded is somewhat disrespectful.
As has been said, no Championship player would go for that sort of money. If indeed Gibson us included then it's a reasonable offer...if he isn't I stand by my comment. That 4 million only is a delusional offer, just look at the 2 League 2 players who left Luton for premiership clubs. Hardly any games behind them and very young but both were signed for over 5m, and that's over 2 year ago. I can understand paying 4million for these type of hopefuls, but not a regular championship player.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:37 am

ewanrob wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:50 am
As has been said, no Championship player would go for that sort of money. If indeed Gibson us included then it's a reasonable offer...if he isn't I stand by my comment. That 4 million only is a delusional offer, just look at the 2 League 2 players who left Luton for premiership clubs. Hardly any games behind them and very young but both were signed for over 5m, and that's over 2 year ago. I can understand paying 4million for these type of hopefuls, but not a regular championship player.
You are assuming the £4m offer is accurate though?

But last week Nixon said it was £4m + Gibson. Have we really just dropped a player from the deal and not upped the cash? Or does he just mean we won’t increase the cash element? Or was the original deal not really including Gibson?

Tbh, I don’t think Nixon has a clue what is going on and is just posting stories to generate retweets/likes/discussion.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:06 am

I can't see us offering £4 million for Worrall. Gibson, despite offering the square root of sod all to us; is a proven player at their level and even had a good season in the PL with Boro. I'm not sure how much we've already paid Boro but whatever is owed will be part of any transfer. At worst a straight swap would be about right. They'd be getting a proven player, us one that is one for the future. Assuming Gibson didn't want to go there, despite what we rate him at, Worrall is from Forest's pov; an asset so will be wanting the going rate. We are well known to go in with low ball bids but I'd think the bid is somewhere more likely to be between the £4 million quoted and what they value him at. Wouldn't be surprised if we'd bid £6/7 million but definitely don't think we'd go over £9 million for him. Gibson has muddied our transfer dealings somewhat.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:28 am

BenWickes wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:06 am
I can't see us offering £4 million for Worrall. Gibson, despite offering the square root of sod all to us; is a proven player at their level and even had a good season in the PL with Boro. I'm not sure how much we've already paid Boro but whatever is owed will be part of any transfer. At worst a straight swap would be about right. They'd be getting a proven player, us one that is one for the future. Assuming Gibson didn't want to go there, despite what we rate him at, Worrall is from Forest's pov; an asset so will be wanting the going rate. We are well known to go in with low ball bids but I'd think the bid is somewhere more likely to be between the £4 million quoted and what they value him at. Wouldn't be surprised if we'd bid £6/7 million but definitely don't think we'd go over £9 million for him. Gibson has muddied our transfer dealings somewhat.
Tbh, I am completely underwhelmed about Worrall so not bothered if we sign him at all. If I were him I’d rather stay at Forest & get game time. Would much rather we went for a player with PL experience from one of the relegated clubs.

Fans & chairman alike might have to adapt to lower fees going forward though. Looks like United have walked away from Sancho deal due to the price and have just got Van de Beek for £40m - can’t imagine they would have picked him up that cheaply last year. Thiago allegedly available for £27m.

As we near the end of the window, with limited prospect of Matchday income imminent, Championship clubs might need to sell for a lot lower figures than they want or expect now.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:42 am

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:28 am
Tbh, I am completely underwhelmed about Worrall so not bothered if we sign him at all. If I were him I’d rather stay at Forest & get game time. Would much rather we went for a player with PL experience from one of the relegated clubs.

Fans & chairman alike might have to adapt to lower fees going forward though. Looks like United have walked away from Sancho deal due to the price and have just got Van de Beek for £40m - can’t imagine they would have picked him up that cheaply last year. Thiago allegedly available for £27m.

As we near the end of the window, with limited prospect of Matchday income imminent, Championship clubs might need to sell for a lot lower figures than they want or expect now.
Can't say Worrall whets my appetite either. We do need a back up CB but the Gibson situation isn't helping. Maybe that will change as you say closer to the window shutting.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32534 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:11 am

Grumps wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:50 am
That might well have something to do with those respective clubs and how they deal with the media. For example, when Andy Naylor was at the Brighton Argus, anything he said could be just about taken as fact. I kept note of him during the Dale Stephens stuff in 2016. It’s how different clubs work.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:24 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:11 am
That might well have something to do with those respective clubs and how they deal with the media. For example, when Andy Naylor was at the Brighton Argus, anything he said could be just about taken as fact. I kept note of him during the Dale Stephens stuff in 2016. It’s how different clubs work.
Exactly... Our club only tell them what they want reporting, which isn't particularly healthy, it needs a balance, otherwise do away with local reporters and just have the official club website

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:31 am

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:37 am
You are assuming the £4m offer is accurate though?

But last week Nixon said it was £4m + Gibson. Have we really just dropped a player from the deal and not upped the cash? Or does he just mean we won’t increase the cash element? Or was the original deal not really including Gibson?

Tbh, I don’t think Nixon has a clue what is going on and is just posting stories to generate retweets/likes/discussion.
I was going off Tony's comment

ClaretTony wrote: ↑Would you prefer us to offer £10 million for a player we only value at £4 million,

Tony has a lot more idea of what is going on than myself, so I took his comment that we value him at 4m.and therefore had offered 4m...no mention of Gibson
I dont know if his comment was based on the Nixon tweet...or what he is privy to.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:52 am

"Tottenham Hotspur journalist Alasdair Gold spent some talking about the possibility of Spurs making a move for Burnley striker Chris Wood in the current transfer window"

https://thisisfutbol.com/2020/09/blogs/ ... hris-wood/

Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:12 am

ClaretAL wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:52 am
"Tottenham Hotspur journalist Alasdair Gold spent some talking about the possibility of Spurs making a move for Burnley striker Chris Wood in the current transfer window"

https://thisisfutbol.com/2020/09/blogs/ ... hris-wood/
Valued at £13.05m :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:19 am

Murger wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:12 am
Valued at £13.05m :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
They reckoned the transfer market would be deflated this summer but I've seen no sign of that, so somewhat remarkable to see a player bought for £15million drop in value like that after three good seasons with us. There are some really strange valuations seen on players when windows are open.

MDWat
Been Liked: 879 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:22 am

transfermarkt’s values are rarely in line with the price paid. Grealish is valued at €40m but Villa was €85m. In the same way Wood is valued at £13.05m, I’m sure we’d want nearer £30m.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:38 am

"MIDDLESBROUGH LODGE BID TO SIGN BURNLEY CENTRE-BACK"

https://the72.co.uk/189778/middlesbroug ... ty-target/

SKY
"20:15
BURNLEY BOY GIBSON IN DEMAND

Burnley have received a number of offers for defender Ben Gibson, including one from his former club, Middlesbrough"

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1700 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:04 am

If there is any truth in Middlesborough prepared to take him back, then you would have thought our scouting team would have kept an eye on their starting 11

Its possible Boro have no money and might say they will drop the next two years payments from us. However if we could say yes PLUS a certain player that we like, for a position we need to fill, then it could work for both parties

I can see this dragging out to end of transfer window though

Do we know who Gibson is training with. CT thinks Warnock will not allow him to train with them

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:07 am

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:04 am

Do we know who Gibson is training with. CT thinks Warnock will not allow him to train with them
Not anything I'm thinking. He stopped training with them last season when Warnock arrived and I am assuming, given what Warnock has said previously of not wanting players around the group who are not playing, he's still not training with them.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:30 pm

Gibson has been very stupid and / or very poorly advised. Whatever he did to upset Dyche so much has basically meant he has not trained properly now for over half a year. Even if he has kept a basic level of fitness it will probably take him another couple of months at a new club to get properly back up to speed. He will most likely not be at a level where he is able to hold down a first team place in a good side until Xmas, which means he will have pretty much missed two and a half years of football. In addition to that, he will now be seen by many as a potential problem child / disruptive influence, where as prior to all of this he was viewed as the model professional. His behaviour has been bad news for everyone concerned ... he has missed football and will get a much worse contract than he is currently on wherever he goes, while we will have lost a lot of money too on a player who has contributed nothing. What a ridiculous situation for all concerned.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:57 pm

kaptin1 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:30 pm
Gibson has been very stupid and / or very poorly advised. Whatever he did to upset Dyche so much has basically meant he has not trained properly now for over half a year. Even if he has kept a basic level of fitness it will probably take him another couple of months at a new club to get properly back up to speed. He will most likely not be at a level where he is able to hold down a first team place in a good side until Xmas, which means he will have pretty much missed two and a half years of football. In addition to that, he will now be seen by many as a potential problem child / disruptive influence, where as prior to all of this he was viewed as the model professional. His behaviour has been bad news for everyone concerned ... he has missed football and will get a much worse contract than he is currently on wherever he goes, while we will have lost a lot of money too on a player who has contributed nothing. What a ridiculous situation for all concerned.
And with hindsight, would have had an extended run in the team at the back end of last, start of this.
Although he wouldn't have held his place regardless of performance in those games IMO.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:27 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:19 am
They reckoned the transfer market would be deflated this summer but I've seen no sign of that, so somewhat remarkable to see a player bought for £15million drop in value like that after three good seasons with us. There are some really strange valuations seen on players when windows are open.
Bizarre logic. If it is deflated then it makes more sense to keep hold of our best players.

This surely only applies to teams who are desperate for cash.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:05 pm

A bit of chatter suggesting worrell deal could be getting closer
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:14 pm

Grumps wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:05 pm

If the original source to this is that Andy Ridgewell bloke on twitter then take with a pinch of salt, he is less reliable than Nixon.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:14 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:14 pm
If the original source to this is that Andy Ridgewell bloke on twitter then take with a pinch of salt, he is less reliable than Nixon.
I think the next level down from Nixon is my gran.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:15 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:14 pm
I think the next level down from Nixon is my gran.

Bit harsh on your gran.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:19 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:15 pm
Bit harsh on your gran.
She died in 1989, so I hope she'll forgive.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:00 pm

Bit of gossip around Francesco Margiotta plus...

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/09/01/r ... s-forward/

Never heard of him personally, also a bit of a rumour around Pukki joining from Norwich

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:02 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:00 pm
Bit of gossip around Francesco Margiotta plus...

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/09/01/r ... s-forward/

Never heard of him personally, also a bit of a rumour around Pukki joining from Norwich
I think the Pukki rumour was done and dusted a few weeks ago, so probably just regurgitated.

Expect Villa and Sheffield United links tomorrow.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:07 pm

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:10 pm

Whoever wrote that really doesn't like Burnley do they?
This user liked this post: Woonderbah

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:20 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:10 pm
Whoever wrote that really doesn't like Burnley do they?
Indeed !!!! :lol:

MDWat
Been Liked: 879 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:25 pm

Grumps wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:05 pm
Only from the same made up twitter journo’s. Got to be a serious weirdo to do that.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:28 pm

Ridgewell is a fraud. Do not entertain his drivvle , I’ve personally tweeted him some nonsense which he then posted seconds later with added sprinkles of shite. IGNORE

Reecey1987
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:30 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:28 pm
Ridgewell is a fraud. Do not entertain his drivvle , I’ve personally tweeted him some nonsense which he then posted seconds later with added sprinkles of shite. IGNORE
He blocked me for calling him a fraud then set a new profile up with his last name spelt a bit different

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:32 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:30 pm
He blocked me for calling him a fraud then set a new profile up with his last name spelt a bit different
Why would he be the one to set up a new profile if he blocked you?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:33 pm

MDWat wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:25 pm
Only from the same made up twitter journo’s. Got to be a serious weirdo to do that.
The two I saw were Forrest accounts, who knows where they get it from, that's the beast that is twitter, up to the individual if they believe it or not. Personally, I think its one that will get done as dyche has chased him for a couple of years. Only way it won't is if the player doesn't fancy the move.

Reecey1987
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:36 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:32 pm
Why would he be the one to set up a new profile if he blocked you?
Because someone shared the tweet he made before regarding worral . He blocked me and I am still blocked its just a different profile with same picture