BFC TRANSFER NEWS SUMMER/AUTUMN 2020 (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Re: BFC TRANSFER NEWS SUMMER 2020(MUST CONTAIN LINK)

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:15 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:23 pm
Norwich paying a 2m loan fee and 70% of his wages, with the option to make the move permanent for another 6m if they win promotion, is a poor deal in my books.

We paid 15m for him and if the payments are split evenly across his contract that equates to a cost of 3.75m per season. 2m is a little over half of that and if Norwich pay 70% of his wages we will still be on the hook for about 15K a week or 750K for the year.
Would be true if we paid 15 million for him - we didn't, the deal also had numerous clauses in none of which have been met. I bet we aren't too far off getting our money back on him
These 2 users liked this post: Woonderbah Steve1956

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 328 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Woonderbah » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:30 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:15 pm
Would be true if we paid 15 million for him - we didn't, the deal also had numerous clauses in none of which have been met. I bet we aren't too far off getting our money back on him

As said previously on another thread, by throwing his toys out the pram, Gibson's probably done more financial damage to his beloved Boro than us.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:35 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:11 pm

As for do I think 8m represents value, there will be better players sold for less than that this summer and you yourself could quickly identify 20 players who are better and cheaper.
The deal hasn't gone through or been finalised yet, so again I / we are speculating based on rumours, but that is a big part of what this board is about.

I agree that foreign players of equal ability have been sold for less during this window, but we aren't selling him for 8m now, which would put money in our transfer pot that we could spend immediately. Neither does it give us certainty in relation to any future financial payment.

The conditional for the rumoured 8m in total is promotion up to the EPL, which would only be triggered if he has an exceptional season. That could see his value returning to the 12-15m mark. If we look at all the prices being quoted for domestic defenders I don't think it is an overly generous value range to attribute to him.

Taking that into account, attaching a figure to the loan transfer, which would appear to be based on the depressed value that he currently has, doesn't seem to be very prudent.

Surely any future buying option that directly relates to winning promotion should be based on what he could be conceivably worth in the event of that happening ?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:41 pm

Lets look at 1 domestic defender

28 year old full international and 3 year left on his current deal

2nd most goals and assists over last 2 season behind Alexander-Arnold as a defender

Finished 7th in last 2 seasons in the Prem as well as quarter finals of europa league and semi finals of FA cup

Joined a direct rival for a top 6 spot for less than 15m

Which of the above does GIbson get anywhere near

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:47 pm

As I understand it Gibson is an asset & subject to devaluation over the time of his contract, if he was an expensive car with reliability issues you would not expect to get the full previous purchase value. No doubt someone can explain better than me how our assets devalue over a set period in value to the business ?

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:29 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:25 pm
Isn't it strange how when people don't like someone, they refer to them by their Surname? When they do like them, it's usually their Christian name.

As I don't know how well Mr Rigg is doing, I'll have the courtesy to call him Mr.. One thing I do know though, is that our Board of Directors are no fools, and if they thought Mr Rigg was not doing a good job, he's be gone by now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mr Rigg can find hundreds of players, but if they don't want to come, or their agents demand too much, then that's not his fault. Also, he might suggest some very good players, players who might be willing to come, but it's not down to him to buy them and write the cheques. Mr Rigg has a very difficult role and it's one I wouldn't like to attempt. It's called trying to please everyone at the same time. I don't know anyone who's ever got that totally right.
So our illustrious Board appoint a man to identify players, players who...wont come, they (the board)wont pay the cash for, or Sean doesnt want....so what exactly his his remit and his point in being here...I bet Mr Rigg would love to know.

Our board copy other better run clubs in recruiting a talent spotter, and once again try to run it with the usual cornershop mentality.

Bigvince
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:33 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:29 pm
So our illustrious Board appoint a man to identify players, players who...wont come, they (the board)wont pay the cash for, or Sean doesnt want....so what exactly his his remit and his point in being here...I bet Mr Rigg would love to know.

Our board copy other better run clubs in recruiting a talent spotter, and once again try to run it with the usual cornershop mentality.
There aren’t many better run clubs than us, if any, if you look at our success over the last few years.With budget we’ve got

ewanrob

Post by ewanrob » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:43 pm

I'm not talking about money directly, I'm suggesting we have appointed a man to do a job....and so far he appears to have done sweet FA....not that could be down to his inadequacies...or as I've alluded to..our boards reluctance to STRETCH THE BUDGET....hmmm where have we have we heard that term before.

I dont get this board love in, yes they've done brilliantly...but we are not even moving sideways now.

This is just me I know, but I feel like its the mid-seventies all over again with all.our stars...just waiting for them all to be picked off one by one and we settle back into the boards comfort zone..1 or 2 leagues down.

We have so much going for us right now, with arguably the best manager weve ever had...christ almighty stop sitting on the sidelines counting your money and patting yourself on the back...just enjoy the ride.
These 2 users liked this post: Woodleyclaret Right_winger

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:46 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:29 pm

But we are a 'Corner shop' compared to the big boys. We can't compete with the likes of 'City Group' who now own ten clubs worldwide, or perhaps you think we can? I'm sure that Mr. Rigg is doing a very good job within the remit he has been given. You or I have no idea what goes on in board meetings at Burnley, because as always, the board says nothing until they have something to say.

With a month of the transfer window left, I really don't know what some of you are whingeing about. Have some patience.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:47 pm

Just enjoy the ride

Shouldn't you be taking your own advice

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:54 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:43 pm
I'm not talking about money directly, I'm suggesting we have appointed a man to do a job....and so far he appears to have done sweet FA....not that could be down to his inadequacies...or as I've alluded to..our boards reluctance to STRETCH THE BUDGET....hmmm where have we have we heard that term before.

I dont get this board love in, yes they've done brilliantly...but we are not even moving sideways now.

This is just me I know, but I feel like its the mid-seventies all over again with all.our stars...just waiting for them all to be picked off one by one and we settle back into the boards comfort zone..1 or 2 leagues down.

We have so much going for us right now, with arguably the best manager weve ever had...christ almighty stop sitting on the sidelines counting your money and patting yourself on the back...just enjoy the ride.
I don't know how old you are but I'm 72, and I've seen so many clubs 'Enjoy the ride' then crash headlong into the buffers at the end of that ride. I don't want BFC to go the same way. There's a lot to be said for the old expression "Slow and steady wins the race." and we as a club, not necessarily by league position, have improved every year for the last ten or so years and it's the current board that has achieved that. There's another old expression you might think about. "Don't mend what ain't broken."
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

ewanrob

Post by ewanrob » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:02 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:54 pm
I don't know how old you are but I'm 72, and I've seen so many clubs 'Enjoy the ride' then crash headlong into the buffers at the end of that ride. I don't want BFC to go the same way. There's a lot to be said for the old expression "Slow and steady wins the race." and we as a club, not necessarily by league position, have improved every year for the last ten or so years and it's the current board that has achieved that. There's another old expression you might think about. "Don't mend what ain't broken."

Your the one bringing age into, so I can understand your sentiments...but I totally disagree with you, and it with all due respect it is the youth of today that will be the life blood of our club and i firmly believe their view would be totally different to yours.
You cannot go thru life with the if it ain't broke dont fix it mentality....that brings stagnation...let's be proactive, be proud of what weve done, but push on and make the product better.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1142 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:04 pm

How long does it take a new signing to learn the systems etc that his new team uses. I suspect it takes a minimum of 3 months before he will 100% integrate. Therefore the sooner a player is signed before the season starts the better. The lack of signings is very frustrating to me and I suspect a lot of other true supporters.
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:09 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:02 pm
Your the one bringing age into, so I can understand your sentiments...but I totally disagree with you, and it with all due respect it is the youth of today that will be the life blood of our club and i firmly believe their view would be totally different to yours.
You cannot go thru life with the if it ain't broke dont fix it mentality....that brings stagnation...let's be proactive, be proud of what weve done, but push on and make the product better.
It's obvious that you disagree with me but you sound like a 12 year old who has no experience of life. (Although you're probably a little older.) Unfortunately 'Experience' can't be taught, so I'll leave it at that. I'm sure that as you get older you will begin to understand.

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:12 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:43 pm
........ stop sitting on the sidelines counting your money and patting yourself on the back...
A bit difficult to count your money when it is very doubtful whether that money is really yours or is really coming in. Have you read the other thread on China TV rights? SD keeps harping on the financial health of the Club, but does he know the full picture? I bet not even MG knows it in the current circumstances!
These 2 users liked this post: Gordaleman boatshed bill

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 785 times
Has Liked: 1011 times

Post by Guller Bull » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:16 pm

Started a non link discussion thread for you chaps - heres a link - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49545

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:31 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:04 pm
How long does it take a new signing to learn the systems etc that his new team uses. I suspect it takes a minimum of 3 months before he will 100% integrate. Therefore the sooner a player is signed before the season starts the better. The lack of signings is very frustrating to me and I suspect a lot of other true supporters.
The old true supporter line being dragged up again

At this moment the lack of signings does not frustrate me..... If its the same in a month I might agree a little

Now, I've been a supporter for 55 years, a season ticket holder for most of that time. Is that true enough for you?

ewanrob

Post by ewanrob » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:53 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:09 pm
It's obvious that you disagree with me but you sound like a 12 year old who has no experience of life. (Although you're probably a little older.) Unfortunately 'Experience' can't be taught, so I'll leave it at that. I'm sure that as you get older you will begin to understand.
And you sound like a stereotypical old man who knows everything, and therefore everyone else who's viewpoint differs is clearly unable to make a comment. You are clearly easily pleased.

You also just had a go at people calling others by their surname bad mannered, but it's ok to to have a cheap shot at someone aged 12....shocking!!

I'm nearly 60 by the way , but I'm a million miles away from your sanctimonious drivel.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1142 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:53 pm

Grumps wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:31 pm
The old true supporter line being dragged up again

At this moment the lack of signings does not frustrate me..... If its the same in a month I might agree a little

Now, I've been a supporter for 55 years, a season ticket holder for most of that time. Is that true enough for you?
Very impressed that you have been a supporter for 55 years I saw my first Burnley game in 1952 and have been a true supporter ever since and for many seasons I was a season ticket holder until I left the uk in 1989. However that is all in the past and has no bearing on my frustration at our lack of signings. The season is fast approaching and this true supporter wants us to be as prepared as possible. Your opinion clearly differs to mine and I have no problem with that. UTC
This user liked this post: ClaretMov

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:31 pm

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:41 pm

Woonderbah wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:30 pm
As said previously on another thread, by throwing his toys out the pram, Gibson's probably done more financial damage to his beloved Boro than us.
shame :D

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:33 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:53 pm
And you sound like a stereotypical old man who knows everything, and therefore everyone else who's viewpoint differs is clearly unable to make a comment. You are clearly easily pleased.

You also just had a go at people calling others by their surname bad mannered, but it's ok to to have a cheap shot at someone aged 12....shocking!!

I'm nearly 60 by the way , but I'm a million miles away from your sanctimonious drivel.
Sanctimonious? Now that's funny. My view on Burnley's board, is (I think.) shared by the vast majority on this site. If I was a lone voice, then you might have a point, but I'm not, and it's you that's in the minority, not me.

Oh, and I didn't call people bad mannered either. Try reading what I said again before misquoting me.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:01 pm

Guys can we give it a rest!

I personally spend a lot of time trying to add the links to this thread, and bickering is what is going to have this thread closed. I originally created this thread to try and keep on top of who we are being linked to while at work, which attracted educated comment and reasoning, but for whatever reasoning its become the school yard for childish and petty arguments amongst key board warriors. If you dont have anything constructive to post, dont post it here!

ClaretAL

Post by ClaretAL » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:05 pm

Last edited by ClaretAL on Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:06 pm

West Ham bid 20 mil for Tarkowski

Telegraph

Bigvince
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:08 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:06 pm

Telegraph
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:08 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:06 pm

Telegraph
Yep, and from John Percy too. He’s usually bang on the money. Squeaky bum time..

Edit- £20M not including add ons. Clearly a bid to test the water and unsettle Tarks. Expected to come back with a second bid.

ClaretAL

Post by ClaretAL » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:16 pm

Link for the Tarks speculation reported by others previously...

https://twitter.com/JPercyTelegraph/sta ... 1423267840

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1402 times

Post by Aclaret » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:20 pm

Quick...call Gibson back !!

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:24 pm

An insulting offer for Tarky .

He’s £50m minimum

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:26 pm

£20m is only £5m more than we paid for Gibson , are they deluded

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:26 pm

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:41 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:52 pm
Who said anything about quality ?
That’s true.

Boden said earlier that Worrell is definitely one of them, plus one “from abroad”. To be honest, and no disrespect to Worrell who I have never watched, but if a Championship CH is one of those 2/3 it’s not the most inspiring addition for a club that’s just finished 10th in the PL.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:42 pm

ClaretAL wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:16 pm

Jesus!!!

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:53 pm

not being funny, but why would he want to go to West Ham ?

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:07 pm

sorry if posted previously, from Sky Sports:

05:59
DYCHE: BURNLEY LOOKING FOR 2, 3 PLAYERS

Burnley manager Sean Dyche says the club are looking to buy two or three new players in this transfer window.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:11 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:53 pm
not being funny, but why would he want to go to West Ham ?
Money?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:15 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:11 pm
Money?
it would be the only reason

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:15 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:26 pm
No, but they know we are skint and financially vulnerable and willing to take advantage of it.

Slurpy
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Slurpy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:22 pm

Maybe he'll get in the England squad with the fantastic football they play. /s

It does say with large add-ons so you'd think at least reaching 27.5m
Will Garlick be licking his lips?

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:29 pm

Steddyman wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:15 pm
No, but they know we are skint and financially vulnerable and willing to take advantage of it.
What on Earth makes you think we're skint and vulnerable? Last I heard, we are the only club in the EPL with no debts.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:29 pm

Steddyman wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:15 pm
Dyche saying we’re in good financial health:

https://mobile.twitter.com/footballdail ... 3647934465

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:42 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:29 pm
What on Earth makes you think we're skint and vulnerable? Last I heard, we are the only club in the EPL with no debts.
Quotes from Mike Garlick a few months ago about Burnley going to be in real trouble if the season wasn't restarted soon. Plus the fact we have lost the income from the Chinese TV deal and had to pay back some of the overseas money to broadcasters because of Covid.

nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:42 pm

ClaretAL wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:16 pm

Wow. West Ham need to gently lower themselves into the bin.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:47 pm

Steddyman wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:42 pm
Quotes from Mike Garlick a few months ago about Burnley going to be in real trouble if the season wasn't restarted soon. Plus the fact we have lost the income from the Chinese TV deal and had to pay back some of the overseas money to broadcasters because of Covid.
And you think that Burnley is the only club affected by Covid and the Chinese deal? Every club will be in the same boat, so far as losing money is concerned. OK, the proprtions may be different but those proportions were there before all this happened. I don't think Burnley will have half as many problems as some in the EPL who like to live on the edge of bankruptcy.

Yet another reason why not throwing money at tranfers is a sensible policy. Rainy days do come along now and then.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:49 pm

nyclaret wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:42 pm
Wow. West Ham need to gently lower themselves into the bin.
They’ll need to have a rush on dildos to be able to finance what he’s worth, I can’t recall hearing of a pandemic induced sex craze for women - have you?

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:50 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:47 pm
And you think that Burnley is the only club affected by Covid and the Chinese deal? Every club will be in the same boat, so far as losing money is concerned. OK, the proprtions may be different but those proportions were there before all this happened. I don't think Burnley will have half as many problems as some in the EPL who like to live on the edge of bankruptcy.
Every club will be facing a shortfall, yes, but we are utterly, utterly dependent on the TV deal. Far more than everyone else, bar WBA, and maybe Sheff Utd.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:54 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:50 pm
Every club will be facing a shortfall, yes, but we are utterly, utterly dependent on the TV deal. Far more than everyone else, bar WBA, and maybe Sheff Utd.
I really don't know why you think that. Burnley has no debt, unlike every other club in the EPL. Anyway, we'll soon find out. If we spend money in the transfer window and don't sell anyone to pay for it, then I think that will prove you are wrong.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:23 pm

How many clubs in the PL, aside from ourselves, don’t rely on huge revenue streams or wealthy backers? I don’t think it will validate your point of view (or prove other wrong) if we spend on a few this window, particularly as we’ve already reduced the wage bill significantly.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:55 pm

I think I read a comment earlier in this post that expressed concern about Bailey Peacock-Farrell being our cover for Nick Pope.

BPF was in goal for Northern Ireland this evening. They drew 1-1. They were already 1-0 down when they went down to 10 men (2nd yellow) in 39th minute. Quote from BBC: "Goalkeeper Bailey Peacock-Farrell produced an outstanding performance for the visitors, making a series of good saves particularly after his side went down to 10 men."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53942241
This user liked this post: Long Time Lurker