Reminiscing

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Reminiscing

Post by BenWickes » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:24 am

Just reading some posters throwing their toys out of their pram and I got thinking of my school days. :lol:
Satchels! I had one when I started school circa 1977. God knows why. We lived literally opposite the school. When did they go out of fashion? Maybe I was the only one still with one.
The rag and bone man walking around with a crate on wheels. Tramlines still visible on the cobbled streets long after they stopped running. White dog sh*t as has been mentioned on other threads :D
Don't know why but I used to mess with the black tar melted in the sun on the cobbles. Used to be quite common then.
We lived in a shop and were fortunate to own one of those old personal video camera's. The one's where you had to carry the battery pack on your shoulder separate from the camera. Got some cracking video of the time. Fashion, hairstyles, cars. Noticeable how less busy the roads were back then.
Some classic banter between us Burnley fans and Rovers fans on video of the time too. We were both pretty much on a more level footing at the time. Think we must have beaten them just prior to the video as we'd been ribbing them. Must have been the 2-1 win at theirs in April 1979 as my Dad was proper winding them up. All caught for posterity.

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Re: Reminiscing

Post by Longsider » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:28 am

Why is dog shxt white?

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2292 times
Has Liked: 2165 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:44 am

You do still see it now and again :lol:

My Dad used to tell me it was Poodle Sh1t
These 2 users liked this post: BenWickes Bosscat

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:03 am

Oh yes the coal tar and sometimes it would bubble due to water. Burst it and there was a drop or two of water, at other times you would end up with bits of tar on your fingers, shirt, legs or trousers to await a maternal bollocking when you got home.
Anyone collect cigarette packets thrown in the streets?
I used to collect car numbers, Gawd knows why, would stand on Briercliffe Road writing numbers down seem to remember registration numbers were
a letter and then HG or CW followed by 1- 3 numbers. The numbers to have were either 1 or 999 and I think Burnley's mayoral car was CW1.
Marbles and knocking them out of a circle against a wall with a metal cyclinder thing which must have come form some piece of engineering. And no back rats. Couldn't claim any marbles that were knocked out of the ring if the metal his the wall and fell back onto the marbles. Cannot remeber what we called that chunk of metal.
And then conkers and my mate bursting into tears as his 960 conker was smashed to bits by another one, and the shout for more goes "strings" if the strings of the conkers got entwined
These reminisces are of course from the 1950's
This user liked this post: BenWickes

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 251 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:14 am

My Dad used to tell me it was Poodle Sh1t[

I was told exactly the same by my dad.....maybe it’s because Poodles were considered ‘posh dogs’ :lol:

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:52 am

Cigarette/Tea cards were fantastic with all the different collections and Albums.

We also lined them up against a kerb/wall and flicked cards at them in turn. Last card knocked down and that person won them all. There were very few cars about during the day because they were parked up at the factories and Mother's used feet, prams and busses. Did Taxi's even exist back then outside the big Cities?

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:13 am

And your vintage was from when JM?
I now remember playing cigarette packets and flicking them in front and trying to land yours on theirs to win.
Buses ran every 10 minutes in those days and were open at the back and so bloody cold in winter.
Also smoking allowed upstairs with tobacco tar stuck on the roof and signs that said "No spitting"
Not allowed on a bus with fish and chips due to the long lasting stink afterwards.
On reflection I do not think I recall taxis being around but I know you could book one, but cannot recall seeing any when I was car spotting.
My friends Grandad had a Ford Prefect GTE 357 and that was something in those days. On the weekdays he visited their home for lunch we would get a ride back to junior school afterwards. Was less than a mile but we felt like a million dollars

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:06 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:03 am
Cannot remember what we called that chunk of metal.

in the 70's we called it a Frenchie

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:09 pm

mdd2 wrote:
The numbers to have were either 1 or 999 and I think Burnley's mayoral car was CW1.
I think it was (maybe still is) HG 1. I remember when I lived in Burnley there was uproar when they tried to sell it, contacting Hugh Grant I believe to try and sell it to him....
This user liked this post: tim_noone

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:15 pm

I think we called the chunk of metal we threw at the marbles a nugget

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1692 times
Has Liked: 2530 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:15 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:13 am
I now remember playing cigarette packets and flicking them in front and trying to land yours on theirs to win.
Buses ran every 10 minutes in those days and were open at the back and so bloody cold in winter.
Also smoking allowed upstairs with tobacco tar stuck on the roof and signs that said "No spitting"
Not allowed on a bus with fish and chips due to the long lasting stink afterwards.
On reflection I do not think I recall taxis being around but I know you could book one, but cannot recall seeing any when I was car spotting.
My friends Grandad had a Ford Prefect GTE 357 and that was something in those days. On the weekdays he visited their home for lunch we would get a ride back to junior school afterwards. Was less than a mile but we felt like a million dollars
Some signs inside the bus said 'Spitting Prohibited' which to a youngster like me needed explaining.

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:17 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:15 pm
I think we called the chunk of metal we threw at the marbles a nugget
Yup that's what we called it! (or a bobber but that might have been something else, maybe the bigger marble you used when you won 5 off your opponent??)

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18202 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:49 pm

mdd2 wrote:
There was a young man called Wheeling
Went by bus from Harrow to Ealing
It said on the door
"Don't Spit on the Floor"
So he carefully spat on the ceiling

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:53 pm

ClaretDiver wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:17 pm
Yup that's what we called it! (or a bobber but that might have been something else, maybe the bigger marble you used when you won 5 off your opponent??)
Pretty sure big marbles were called dobbers.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:54 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Oh yes the coal tar and sometimes it would bubble due to water. Burst it and there was a drop or two of water, at other times you would end up with bits of tar on your fingers, shirt, legs or trousers to await a maternal bollocking when you got home.
I used to collect car numbers, Gawd knows why, would stand on Briercliffe Road writing numbers down seem to remember registration numbers were
a letter and then HG or CW followed by 1- 3 numbers. The numbers to have were either 1 or 999 and I think Burnley's mayoral car was CW1.
Marbles and knocking them out of a circle against a wall with a metal cyclinder thing which must have come form some piece of engineering. And no back rats. Couldn't claim any marbles that were knocked out of the ring if the metal his the wall and fell back onto the marbles. Cannot remeber what we called that chunk of metal.
And then conkers and my mate bursting into tears as his 960 conker was smashed to bits by another one, and the shout for more goes "strings" if the strings of the conkers got entwined
Fwiw, the Mayoral car was HG1.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1852 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:57 pm

We used to jump off those open-back buses before they stopped. Quite a few of us came to grief as we used to jump as it was going faster and faster.

Can barely get on a bus these days. :cry: :D

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:58 pm

Longsider wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:53 pm
Pretty sure big marbles were called dobbers.
That's it....

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:58 pm

mdd2 wrote:
I knew that you had a much better childhood than I did!! We couldn't afford to go on buses, I used to walk everywhere!
You obviously could afford fish and chips which you couldn't take on to the bus, however, I never had that problem because not only could we not afford to go on the bus there was no chance of being able to afford fish and chips.
Living in Oswaldtwistle we used to live in envy of those rich people in Burnleyand Blackburn. :D
This user liked this post: mdd2

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:00 pm

'Around our end' it was called an Iron Bobber.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:04 pm

Jumpers for goalposts

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:07 pm

mdd2 wrote:
I was brought up on Briercliffe Road, opposite St Andrews church. Maybe you were someone I knew because we did all the things you mention. The one that stands out was the marble thing. We used to sneak into Bank Hall pit and nick what I believe are called 'Ball races' off the tip there. (We regularly got chased out by the 'Watchman'.) The 'Ball races' had steel ball bearings in them and breaking them open was very, very difficult but they made great marbles.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times

Post by BenWickes » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:12 pm

joey13 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:04 pm
Jumpers for goalposts
Had many an impromptu match in the park in the early 80's. Cobble together 22 lads aged anywhere from 9 - 19 and a number were complete strangers. Jumpers for goalposts. No holds barred tackles at times but made some friends from those games.

spadesclaret
Been Liked: 2147 times
Has Liked: 3782 times

Post by spadesclaret » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:14 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:49 pm
There was a young man called Wheeling
Went by bus from Harrow to Ealing
It said on the door
"Don't Spit on the Floor"
So he carefully spat on the ceiling
My favourite limerick but this is how I have always known it -

There was a young man from Darjeeling
Who boarded a bus bound for Ealing
It said on the door
Do not spit on the floor
So he lay down and spat on the ceiling

I think mine scans better than yours ;)

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:25 pm

spadesclaret wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:14 pm
My favourite limerick but this is how I have always known it -

There was a young man from Darjeeling
Who boarded a bus bound for Ealing
It said on the door
Do not spit on the floor
So he lay down and spat on the ceiling

I think mine scans better than yours ;)
That was the one I know too but changed it so couldn't be accused of Racism 😉

There are some precious types on here, who like to jump on that bandwagon 🤣
This user liked this post: spadesclaret

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5156 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:34 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:25 pm
That was the one I know too but changed it so couldn't be accused of Racism 😉

There are some precious types on here, who like to jump on that bandwagon 🤣
I find that highly offensive. The accusation that some on here are "precious" is just ... scandalous.

Sincerely

Outraged of Tunbridge Wells.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat spadesclaret

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:41 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:07 pm
I was brought up on Briercliffe Road, opposite St Andrews church. Maybe you were someone I knew because we did all the things you mention. The one that stands out was the marble thing. We used to sneak into Bank Hall pit and nick what I believe are called 'Ball races' off the tip there. (We regularly got chased out by the 'Watchman'.) The 'Ball races' had steel ball bearings in them and breaking them open was very, very difficult but they made great marbles.
My Dad used to bring home from work ball bearings that we used to use as marbles too (he worked in a Quarry when I was in Primary School and got them from a m8 who worked in the maintainance department) they were ace and hugely prized at school 😁

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:58 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:41 pm
My Dad used to bring home from work ball bearings that we used to use as marbles too (he worked in a Quarry when I was in Primary School and got them from a m8 who worked in the maintainance department) they were ace and hugely prized at school 😁
The ball races we used to get were about 7" across and we used to throw them at the ground to try and break the casing. It took ages. I remenber one occasion when one of the 'Races' bounced back right over my head and went through a neighbours window. He was less than pleased, I can tell you. :lol:

Anyone remember Veget bread? So far as I know, it was no different to any other sliced bread at the time, but we had a song about it.

Don't eat Veget bread, it makes you s**t like lead.
No bloody wonder, you fart like thunder, don't eat Veget bread.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:58 pm
I knew that you had a much better childhood than I did!! We couldn't afford to go on buses, I used to walk everywhere!
You obviously could afford and chips which you couldn't take on to the , however, I never had that problem because not only could we not afford to go on the there was no chance of being able to afford and chips.
Living in Oswaldtwistle we used to live in envy of those rich people in Burnleyand Blackburn. :D
Ash my first recollection of fish and chips was a fish was 6pence (2.5d today) and chips 3d (1.25p today) so that would be the late 40's maybe early 50's
So a meal for under 4p in todays coinage. All hell broke out when the price went up to 7d and 4d
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Eeee...reminiscing...it aint what it used to be.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1293 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:13 pm

I remember sitting on my dads, uncles, and aunties knee as a small child when they were smoking and they would blow smoke into my face. I used to also walk about 2 miles to school and back on my own at the age of 6.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:43 pm

ClaretDiver wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:17 pm
I think the larger marble was a Dobber. At least I think it was in the 90s.

Edit: Just seen it mentioned further up - nice to know my memory is all well and good.
Last edited by FactualFrank on Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

todclaret
Been Liked: 109 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by todclaret » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:44 pm

One for fellow Todmordians: Astin's pies....
This user liked this post: cbx750

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:53 pm

We used to catch the train from Nelson to Burnley every home match and never paid and just ran through the open doors at Burnley. This went on for quite a while until some wag decided to shut the doors at Burnley and caught us all without tickets.. :D
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

cbx750
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Post by cbx750 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:37 pm

todclaret wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:44 pm
One for fellow Todmordians: Astin's pies....
King's meat pies weren't bad also.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:45 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Born 1955 and yep, remember the alternate card game. Also a marbler and remember there being various games including digging a hole in the dirt to flick them into, x marbles each and last one in won. Singles, Two's, Fours, Coloureds, Ironies :lol:

chorleyhere
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 257 times

Post by chorleyhere » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:48 pm

Anyone else remember my favourite cakes called 'Japs"?
Oddies used to make them and very few places still do . The best 11/10 come now from Bothams of Whitby, who also do a nice line in Lemon buns. They deliver by post. Haps and buns both delicious.

Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:45 pm

I must have been about 5 or 6 years old when I sneaked off on my tricycle to play with others on fulledge rec.
Can't recall how it happened exactly but i ended up face down in a large pool of melted tar.
That didn't bother me too much,it was the 3/4 hours of agony in the bath being scrubbed with vim from head to toe.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:20 pm

I went to a rugby playing school and we had a rugby table top game to pass the time.
Players took opposite ends of the table. Flicked a matchbox the length of the table. If it finished with any portion over the edge of the table it was a try. For tight calls this was confirmed by sliding a ruler along edge of the table. If the matchbox moved the try was given. For the conversion the lad at that end would stand with his two forefingers on the desktop and his thumbs touching, to make a ‘H’, rigid arms and the matchbox had to be flicked from the halfway line over the ‘H’. Many bored hours playing this.

Another was draw two random lines, one inside the other. Inside these two lines draw random islands. Start and finish line anywhere on the circuit. Place a pencil point on the start line with your finger on top and push it. This was a flick and not a slide(cheating). Your next go was from where your previous pencil line ended.

My Dad had a cricket game with hexagonal tubes, you could play the same with dice, one for the bowler and one for the batter. The bowler rolled and dependent on his outcome,(wicket, dot ballx2), runs, byes) the batter might get a roll, (1,2,4,6,RunOut,one short). We would bowl 2 overs at a time and swap or it could get boring. Set a winning score or wickets.

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:38 pm

Ben - have you a Youtube channel with your old videos of BUrnley on?

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:38 pm

Gudgeons ice cream used to come round two or three times a week, in a multi- coloured horse drawn cart. Remember asking my mum if she had 3d to buy cone from the ice cream man, quite often she didn't have the money (1 1/2 p). It had a wonderful creamy taste, I think it was made at a farm up on Rossendale Rd somewhere.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1049 times

Post by CleggHall » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:43 pm

OWZTHAT!
These 2 users liked this post: huw.Y.WattfromWare claret54

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:10 pm

[quote=huw.Y.WattfromWare post_id=1330067 time=1595521228

My Dad had a cricket game with hexagonal tubes, you could play the same with dice, one for the bowler and one for the batter. The bowler rolled and dependent on his outcome,(wicket, dot ballx2), runs, byes) the batter might get a roll, (1,2,4,6,RunOut,one short). We would bowl 2 overs at a time and swap or it could get boring. Set a winning score or wickets.
[/quote]

We used to play this at BGS in the sixties, using hexagonal pencils.

huw.Y.WattfromWare

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:00 pm

CleggHall wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:43 pm
OWZTHAT!
That’s the game, CleggHall.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:45 pm

BennyD wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:54 pm
Fwiw, the Mayoral car was HG1.
It still is !

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2292 times
Has Liked: 2165 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Love this thread

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:16 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:38 pm
Gudgeons ice cream used to come round two or three times a week, in a multi- coloured horse drawn cart. Remember asking my mum if she had 3d to buy cone from the ice cream man, quite often she didn't have the money (1 1/2 p). It had a wonderful creamy taste, I think it was made at a farm up on Rossendale Rd somewhere.
Cece's ice cream is the best I have ever tasted and I think went bust in the 60's. There was also I think Ruth's ice cream at the tome
Also what about the game "shove hepenny played on a flat wall with two fingers forgoal posts the half penny was the ball, your player a penney and you shoved the penny usually with the flat of a comb, school ruler.
The in Burnley was the hop shop or Temperance bar serving non-alcoholic drinks including hop beer, blood tonic and the place set out like a bar.
Think it was on Yorkshire Street

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5070 times
Has Liked: 6841 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:18 pm

Mambos, triangular shaped frozen blocks of teeth rotting juice.

Fazz
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Fazz » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:30 pm

klackers.jpg
klackers.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
Clackers :D

huw.Y.WattfromWare

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:00 am

Fazz wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:30 pm
Clackers :D
I bought my sister some in Newcastle on the day MacDonald made his debut for them, against Liverpool, and scored a hat trick. Didn’t go to the match but remember it was August ‘71.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:22 am

OWZTHAT
I had my set from childhood and it was with me in my 30's having found it buried at the bottom of a drawer but it died a death when the score bit with OWZTHAT on was lost. As a child I spent hours playing it with England playing the Aussies or Lancs against Yorkshire, scoring every ball. Batsmen getting ducks and bowlers scoring 50's and 60's as not allowed to cheat.
But then did anyone play cricket using darts and a dartboard? I think you had to score runs between double and treble and if you went into the area between trebles and bull you were out. The bowler took one wicket for an outer bull and two for a bull and runs against him if the darts went outside the treble area.