Mask day

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Re: Mask day

Post by ten bellies » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:41 pm

claretburns wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:05 pm
Two simple solutions to the problem.

1. The government make it law and fine anyone not wearing a mask and fine stores and companies not enforcing it to customers.
2. Anyone who thinks wearing a mask is pointless or doesn't want to wear one, stay at home.

Obviously people who medically or have a legitimate reason for not wearing a mask shouldn't but you know some people will just make a medical excuse for not wearing one when there'll be nothing wrong with them.
Or conversely make those fearful stay at home and wear a mask, and the rest carry on as normal. You're such a compliant bunch.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1647 times
Has Liked: 402 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:07 pm

Just been to Tesco for a couple of beers. Wore my jazzy mask for the first time. Sweltered in it after a hard day building a roof on my house, could hardly breathe. The whole ambiance in there was far worse than last week when a dozen people were in and only one wearing a mask (all sensibly distancing). It just feels quite forbidding really, like some dystopian movie.

I can’t help but feel its a daft idea (at a time the virus is in retreat, wearing masks in March would have been a good idea if it avoided lockdown). Even our golf shop is now saying we have to wear one in the shop when signing in for a comp before teeing off. Inevitably many of us will forget to bring it because we’re going to play outdoor sport, not shopping.

I think I’ll get an order in with Cloudwater using my NHS discount to get some beers for next weekend. Far better than masking up at Tesco. I’ll stick to the rules, but I’ll choose not to shop for the time being. I suspect I won’t be alone.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:19 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:22 pm
Could he not have just paid through the little window to outdide by the cashier that there ALWAYS is? All sounds a bit dramatic....
He paid by walking in the shop.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:23 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:19 pm
He paid by walking in the shop.
Yeah, got that. But rather than the whole not having a mask and the person working the petrol station initially refusing to let him in/serve him, why couldn't he just stay outside and pay through the little window that all petrol stations have? Problem solved.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:24 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:41 pm
Your mate is lying.
Of course, he might be.

Plenty of people lie on social media. Especially in here.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1435 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:09 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:32 pm
The Tesco staff I spoke to last night said the same. They will have someone dishing free masks out if the want one but will not challenge a non wearer.
But stated the police could fine them if caught and wished to do so.
The Police should also then be able to shut the shop down for a week.

Selfish buffoons continuing to cause problems for the rest of society all the way through this.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:38 pm

Burnleyareback2 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:09 pm
The Police should also then be able to shut the shop down for a week.

Selfish buffoons continuing to cause problems for the rest of society all the way through this.
The police will be furious if people keep reporting non mask wearers.

A bit like my mate when he has to cover the Cricketfield section on the turf as a copper when a steward asks him to sort out a smoker in the toilets.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:47 pm

The problem shop assistants have is that there is a moderately wide ranging list of valid reasons for not wearing a mask. Among them, being physically or mentally disabled, being unable to put one on (not everyone can easily reach the back of their head), suffering severe distress at wearing one, accompanying a lip reader, and being under 11 years old.

What are shop workers to do if the person claims a hidden disability or severe distress? Test it? Ask to see their non-existent certificate? In the case of a child, ask to see the birth certificate? For lip readers, speak behind their backs and try and catch them out? There's no practical way shop assistants can be expected to police this issue, and so there is no reasonable chance of shutting a shop down for non-compliance.

(I don't know if there is a legal definition of "severe distress". That one sounds like a catch-all that anyone could use with impunity.)

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 767 times

Post by ksrclaret » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:53 pm

I hate every moment wearing a face mask. Can't stand the things. I've now taken to using a bandana scarf and pulling it up when going in shops though just in case the staff have been told to enforce it. The staff really don't need the aggravation and it must be so awkward for them having to confront and deal with people who are not complying with this silliness. Not their fault at all.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:58 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:53 pm
I hate every moment wearing a face mask. Can't stand the things. I've now taken to using a bandana scarf and pulling it up when going in shops though just in case the staff have been told to enforce it. The staff really don't need the aggravation and it must be so awkward for them having to confront and deal with people who are not complying with this silliness. Not their fault at all.
They can ask you to leave the store but shop staff haven't got any more rights than an average person.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2219 times
Has Liked: 2210 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:00 am

Get a grip people.

You're not being asked to walk into a shop with a can of baked beans lodged sideways up your backside!

You're simply being asked to wear a bit of cloth over your face for a short period of time.

First world problems!
These 3 users liked this post: Zlatan UnderSeige Bosscat

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:33 am

Meanwhile, we have just moved up to a medal position in the deaths per head of population table. Still a long way to go to catch San Marino, but I'm sure that we can do our best. There's presumably going to be a third Liverpool trashing celebration today when the season ends with lots of those attending being mentally disabled enough not to have to wear masks. It's taken quite a concerted effort to get to this position. USA kill off almost 1,000 per day but can't even stay in the top 10.

We already have a medal in the total deaths column pretty well secured of course.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 835 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:20 am

What we found, locally, was that a certain megastore that has 6 units in this town (hint : it begins with W) refused to get involved in the mask enforcing issue.

After a month, the only people shopping in their stores were those without masks. Everyone else was shopping at their competitors. Their stores became eerily quiet.

Strangely, they then hired 3rd party security to enforce mask wearing!

Weird, huh.

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:48 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:03 pm
The problem is, a lot of people will be priding themselves on what they can get away with. And ridiculing the whole thing.

Same people who think every rule is there to be broken.

Its not hard to comply. Some just choose to be awkward,
All that it needs is for the attendant to check that the customer is wearing a mask before he/she switches the pump on. I am presuming that they can see the pumps through CCTV.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:51 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:09 pm
Just been to lidl in Burnley and counted 11 people with no masks on
I wonder if some local authorities (or whoever has control) will start to close some stores down if they serve unmasked customers?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:59 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:48 am
All that it needs is for the attendant to check that the customer is wearing a mask before he/she switches the pump on. I am presuming that they can see the pumps through CCTV.
Pumps are visible through the window in the main.
In the odd instance it isn't then CCTV is there to help.

Masks aren't needed at pump though, only in store.
That's why stations need to make non mask wearers use the night service windows/hatches.

If people want to be stupid about not wearing a mask then they should expect to be refused entry to stores, even if it's raining etc.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:04 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:07 pm
Just been to Tesco for a couple of beers. Wore my jazzy mask for the first time. Sweltered in it after a hard day building a roof on my house, could hardly breathe. The whole ambiance in there was far worse than last week when a dozen people were in and only one wearing a mask (all sensibly distancing). It just feels quite forbidding really, like some dystopian movie.

I can’t help but feel its a daft idea (at a time the virus is in retreat, wearing masks in March would have been a good idea if it avoided lockdown). Even our golf shop is now saying we have to wear one in the shop when signing in for a comp before teeing off. Inevitably many of us will forget to bring it because we’re going to play outdoor sport, not shopping.

I think I’ll get an order in with Cloudwater using my NHS discount to get some beers for next weekend. Far better than masking up at Tesco. I’ll stick to the rules, but I’ll choose not to shop for the time being. I suspect I won’t be alone.
The last time I went into a supermarket was Good Friday. I have been having stuff delivered since. I will be going down to Tesco's later today. I will be spending money at the coffee shop and most likely will call in another shop or two along the way. Cricketfield Claret also reported that Burnley town centre was busy today.

If you could hardly breathe because of your mask you must be doing something wrong. I have a few different masks and can breathe in them all. I don't like wearing them but if (as thousands of studies have shown) it helps to stop the virus then I will put up with for the duration of the pandemic.

Perhaps you were sweltering due to the hard work that you did rather than the mask. The key will be to have a rest and cool down before going to the supermarket. To avoid the problem at the golf shop you could perhaps carry a mask around with you all the time.

In WW2 people had to carry their gas masks with them along with their identity cards and ration books. They had to queue everywhere for basic food items. They had to obseve blackout and head for the shelters when Hitlers bombers came over. Many of them were conscripted into the forces and sent to some of the most inhospitable environments in the world where they really did know what swealtering meant. They were shot at and bombed by the most cruel and vicious enemy ever to walk the face of the earth and I bet not many of them had much time to play golf either.

You have to wear a mask to go to the supermarket. Boo hoo. What a shame. You don't know how lucky you are!

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3188 times
Has Liked: 1869 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:10 am

Pendle Council delivered 3 masks to each home yesterday.
They were hand delivered to ours around 4pm

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:13 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:53 pm
Wearing a bandana is OK according to the government guidlines. You could even use your Burnley scarf if you want.
In the context of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, a face covering is something which safely covers the nose and mouth. You can buy reusable or single-use face coverings. You may also use a scarf, bandana, religious garment or hand-made cloth covering but these must securely fit round the side of the face. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-your-own

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:07 pm

If PD Kato can wear a mask, so can you! 😷

Please only call us if you need us, not for individuals not wearing face coverings. We’re taking a common sense approach, just like throughout the pandemic, encouraging and educating before enforcing as a last resort.

@LancsPolDogUnit https://t.co/fMy5UoBZ2Q

As predicted the police haven't got time to get involved.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32528 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:11 pm

There's enough on this thread to ensure I continue staying at home for the foreseeable future.
This user liked this post: Volvoclaret

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:17 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:07 pm
If PD Kato can wear a mask, so can you! 😷

Please only call us if you need us, not for individuals not wearing face coverings. We’re taking a common sense approach, just like throughout the pandemic, encouraging and educating before enforcing as a last resort.

@LancsPolDogUnit https://t.co/fMy5UoBZ2Q

As predicted the police haven't got time to get involved.
I’m sure most people would agree that police time could be better spent than chasing around after people who aren’t wearing masks.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:45 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:04 am
The last time I went into a supermarket was Good Friday. I have been having stuff delivered since. I will be going down to Tesco's later today. I will be spending money at the coffee shop and most likely will call in another shop or two along the way. Cricketfield Claret also reported that Burnley town centre was busy today.

If you could hardly breathe because of your mask you must be doing something wrong. I have a few different masks and can breathe in them all. I don't like wearing them but if (as thousands of studies have shown) it helps to stop the virus then I will put up with for the duration of the pandemic.

Perhaps you were sweltering due to the hard work that you did rather than the mask. The key will be to have a rest and cool down before going to the supermarket. To avoid the problem at the golf shop you could perhaps carry a mask around with you all the time.

In WW2 people had to carry their gas masks with them along with their identity cards and ration books. They had to queue everywhere for basic food items. They had to obseve blackout and head for the shelters when Hitlers bombers came over. Many of them were conscripted into the forces and sent to some of the most inhospitable environments in the world where they really did know what swealtering meant. They were shot at and bombed by the most cruel and vicious enemy ever to walk the face of the earth and I bet not many of them had much time to play golf either.

You have to wear a mask to go to the supermarket. Boo hoo. What a shame. You don't know how lucky you are!
Thank you US for providing some perspective to this conversation, i don't like wearing a mask either, i doubt many people do, but it's a small sacrifice we can all make if it helps the authorities in their fight with this virus, i generally spend a short time in shops anyway, i just go in get what i need pay and leave, so for me it's not a big deal.

In answer to your WW2 comparison, society as a whole was much more complaint in those days, there's a sizeable minority that will value their own selfish wishes over the welfare of their fellow humans in our current population, and they aren't all in the younger age ranges either.

And it's likely these restrictions will only be in place for a year or so at the most, hopefully by this time next summer we'll be back to near normality again.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:28 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:45 pm
And it's likely these restrictions will only be in place for a year or so at the most, hopefully by this time next summer we'll be back to near normality again.
Next summer? By next summer, half a million over-80's will have died since March this year, having spent their last year and a half on this earth locked up in their own homes, in many cases having not seen their families. This is getting way beyond proportionate.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:43 pm

dsr wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:28 pm
Next summer? By next summer, half a million over-80's will have died since March this year, having spent their last year and a half on this earth locked up in their own homes, in many cases having not seen their families. This is getting way beyond proportionate.
I thought people could now meet others outdoors, and also visit family members, so i don't understand your point, nobody is being locked in their homes, all most people are being asked is too exercise common sense whatever their age, surely that's not a lot to ask.

If you are referring to care homes and hospices, then yes i can see where you are coming from, but this links back to the government, and the care homes managers not acquiring PPE quickly enough at the outset of this crisis, and also the policy of sending covid positive patients back into the care sector, these decisions led to the mass outbreak and the excess deaths in these places, it's a difficult balance to achieve, as nobody wants people's last months to be lived in misery.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:47 pm

Wearing a mask does not limit the O2 you get. At all. It may feel like you can't breathe, or that it's hot or uncomfortable, but trust me you are still getting the same amount of O2 than you would without a mask.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:30 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:47 pm
(I don't know if there is a legal definition of "severe distress". That one sounds like a catch-all that anyone could use with impunity.)
Hi dsr. It's me again.

Another test for you. Have a walk down to the nearest supermarket and start shopping without a mask on. When someone challenges you claim that you have "severe distress". It might help if you go down in your slippers.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:35 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:00 am
Get a grip people.

You're not being asked to walk into a shop with a can of baked beans lodged sideways up your backside!

You're simply being asked to wear a bit of cloth over your face for a short period of time.

First world problems!
I think that you need to stop suggesting these things fc. When I was in the supermarket this afternoon there were a number of people walking around without masks on but walking bow legged. I asked one of them if he was all right. He said "I suppose so but I hate wearing masks so I decided to try this 'bake bean can thing' that I read about on a footy forum".
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 383 times
Has Liked: 235 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:56 pm

I put on my mask, walked into the bank and demanded money.

They gave it to me.

I said 'Thank you'.

My getaway driver has now been furloughed.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:59 pm

I wore my BFC mask today at the local shop - it felt surreal. It did actually feel like I was going in to rob the place! :lol:

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:54 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:30 pm
Hi dsr. It's me again.

Another test for you. Have a walk down to the nearest supermarket and start shopping without a mask on. When someone challenges you claim that you have "severe distress". It might help if you go down in your slippers.
Yes, it's pretty sure that people who are genuinely mentally struggling to cope with life will be even more likely to stop at home and pray that it all goes away. They won't be getting back to normal any time soon as long as people like Cressida Dick and others are "shaming" them for going out without a mask.

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 354 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by HahaYeah » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:23 am

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:33 am

First of all apologies to those posters genuinely in fear over this virus. I know there are a lot and the sacrifices you are making is obviously making life difficult for you.
Where was this outcry over masks when the virus was at its deadliest. I can't remember seeing many if any strong cases put up for the mandatory use of them. If anyone did then respect for your viewpoint now.
I have been out shopping in recent weeks and very few people were wearing face masks. The fact that nearly everyone is wearing them now confirms that the public are compliant to the powers that run this country regardless of whether they feel it is far to late to be introducing this measure.
I doubt in most cases that this compliance has much to do with worry about the effects of the virus otherwise people would have been wearing masks much earlier. My opinion is that this compliance has much to do with being fined and fear of what might happen to them for not conforming to what they think society expects.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:35 am

dsr wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:54 pm
Yes, it's pretty sure that people who are genuinely mentally struggling to cope with life will be even more likely to stop at home and pray that it all goes away. They won't be getting back to normal any time soon as long as people like Cressida Dick and others are "shaming" them for going out without a mask.
I believe that it is important to protect all people by encouraging them to wear a mask. Very few people (even mentally ill people and young children) will be bothered about wearing them once they have got used to it. It will just become the norm. It may even be more difficult to get a few people to stop wearing them when we can finally ditch the wretched things.

I suppose in your eyes everyone should go out without a mask. Everything back to normal. No social distancing or local lockdowns. Football stadiums, pubs and nightclubs open with no social distancing. Just ignore the virus because it's not as serious as the government and media make it out to be.

Is that what you want? If not what is your view on what should or shouldn't be done in the way of measures and restrictions? I am genuinely interested to know what you think.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:43 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:35 pm
I think that you need to stop suggesting these things fc. When I was in the supermarket this afternoon there were a number of people walking around without masks on but walking bow legged. I asked one of them if he was all right. He said "I suppose so but I hate wearing masks so I decided to try this 'bake bean can thing' that I read about on a footy forum".
It's more likely that he heard Jonathan Pie saying it than read it on here.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:12 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:33 am
First of all apologies to those posters genuinely in fear over this virus. I know there are a lot and the sacrifices you are making is obviously making life difficult for you.
Where was this outcry over masks when the virus was at its deadliest. I can't remember seeing many if any strong cases put up for the mandatory use of them. If anyone did then respect for your viewpoint now.
I have been out shopping in recent weeks and very few people were wearing face masks. The fact that nearly everyone is wearing them now confirms that the public are compliant to the powers that run this country regardless of whether they feel it is far to late to be introducing this measure.
I doubt in most cases that this compliance has much to do with worry about the effects of the virus otherwise people would have been wearing masks much earlier. My opinion is that this compliance has much to do with being fined and fear of what might happen to them for not conforming to what they think society expects.
You don’t have to look too far down the first page of the Covid thread...
Zlatan wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:03 am
face masks are not intended to protect the wearer, they are intended to prevent the wearer spreading germs - i.e. they prevent the spread not protect the wearer.

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:13 am

For those unable to wear a mask then it should be mandatory that they wear a face shield (even if they are inconvenienced about being asked why). Hear masks are mandatory if you are aged 2 or above and disabled people or children can opt to wear a face shield.

If theres another lock down because people are being selfish there won't be any more money left to pay for you to come back out of the other side without losing your jobs on no pay.

People playing fast with their own futures because if the country goes broke the biggest impact will be on the social security system.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:06 am

SingaporeClarets wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:13 am
For those unable to wear a mask then it should be mandatory that they wear a face shield (even if they are inconvenienced about being asked why). Hear masks are mandatory if you are aged 2 or above and disabled people or children can opt to wear a face shield.

If theres another lock down because people are being selfish there won't be any more money left to pay for you to come back out of the other side without losing your jobs on no pay.

People playing fast with their own futures because if the country goes broke the biggest impact will be on the social security system.
The government rules say that you can use a scarf or bandanna instead of a mask. I would think that there would be very few disabled people who cannot wear a mask. Many disabled people will likely be more vulnerable to the virus and would benefit the most from wearing some kind of face covering.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:20 am

MIND (The Organisation for better Mental Health) have written a very good advisory web page for those who have difficulty with 'face coverings'. It is packed with information and suggestions.

It then gives lots of information for those having difficulties.
https://www.mind.org.uk/information-sup ... al-health/

There have been people posting against face coverings for goodness knows what reason (perhaps ideological or conspiracy theory stuff). They sight 'mental illness' as a reason for everyone not to wear face coverings.

The guiding principle given by MIND is: "If you feel able to wear a mask or face covering, then you must".

The 'anti face covering posters' also say that it is unworkable because people with mental health issues won't know what to say if they are challenged for not wearing a mask. MIND offer positive practical solutions.
How do I prove I'm exempt?

You don't need to. There's no official card or proof that you need to carry on you. If you're challenged about not wearing a mask:
  • You could tell the person: "I'm exempt for health reasons", or "I have a legitimate reason that you can't see. Please be kind".
  • Or you could write down your reason to show people, on a piece of paper or on your phone.
  • Various organisations have created optional exemption cards that you can print or download to your phone. You don't need to buy or apply for one, and you don't need to carry or show one. But you may find having something like this to hand makes you feel more comfortable. It's your choice.
Unfortunately, you might find that not everyone understands, or is supportive. This can be really hard to cope with. But you're not alone. It might help to think about extra self-care ideas, to help look after yourself.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:30 am

"Nice Mask" - me flirting in 2020.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:31 pm

The covid thread is full of red herrings and witch hunts, I stopped reading it a long time ago

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:17 pm

Why does every ‘no mask selfie’ picture look like they’re staring into their microwave, waiting for a ready-meal to cook.

no-mask-selfie.png
no-mask-selfie.png (404.35 KiB) Viewed 2071 times

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:19 pm

Is this the generation bobinho is moaning about?
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Rileybobs SammyBoy

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6883 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:29 pm

No problem with masks at all, very pleased that the vast majority in Tesco Burnley today had them on, those who didn't are either legitimate ie asthma or just plain stupid pricks but as long as they just infect themselves and like minded selfish gits no harm done.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:29 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:17 pm
Why does every ‘no mask selfie’ picture look like they’re staring into their microwave, waiting for a ready-meal to cook.

no-mask-selfie.png
You would think that they would at least have a shave before presenting a picture of themselves to the public. Their slogan could be:
"No mask, No shave, staring into the microwave".

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:30 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:35 am
I believe that it is important to protect all people by encouraging them to wear a mask. Very few people (even mentally ill people and young children) will be bothered about wearing them once they have got used to it. It will just become the norm. It may even be more difficult to get a few people to stop wearing them when we can finally ditch the wretched things.

I suppose in your eyes everyone should go out without a mask. Everything back to normal. No social distancing or local lockdowns. Football stadiums, pubs and nightclubs open with no social distancing. Just ignore the virus because it's not as serious as the government and media make it out to be.

Is that what you want? If not what is your view on what should or shouldn't be done in the way of measures and restrictions? I am genuinely interested to know what you think.
Measures and restrictions? I don't know specifically. But they should have a reason behind them,not just be done at random. If the powers that be would like to explain why it was a bad idea to wear a mask in March and April and it's a good idea now, it would be easier to accept. At the moment the only reason they are giving is "Because I say so" and the only reason I can see for them doing it is because they think people on Twitter want them to.

They have behavioural models about the effects on number of deaths of various factors. What's their number of lives saved on this model? Or their best estimate?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11049 times
Has Liked: 5658 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:13 am

Attachments
Ed34LTaXYAEfb7Z.jpeg
Ed34LTaXYAEfb7Z.jpeg (147.37 KiB) Viewed 1983 times

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:30 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:03 pm
The problem is, a lot of people will be priding themselves on what they can get away with. And ridiculing the whole thing.

Same people who think every rule is there to be broken.

Its not hard to comply. Some just choose to be awkward,
And some people have medical conditions, which are not clearly visible to you, which prevents them from wearing a mask.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:46 am

Healeywoodclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:30 am
And some people have medical conditions, which are not clearly visible to you, which prevents them from wearing a mask.
Absolutely. Thats why I said a lot of people, not ALL.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:14 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:30 am
Measures and restrictions? I don't know specifically. But they should have a reason behind them,not just be done at random. If the powers that be would like to explain why it was a bad idea to wear a mask in March and April and it's a good idea now, it would be easier to accept. At the moment the only reason they are giving is "Because I say so" and the only reason I can see for them doing it is because they think people on Twitter want them to.

They have behavioural models about the effects on number of deaths of various factors. What's their number of lives saved on this model? Or their best estimate?
I get your point about their explanations in March and April. I think that it was a scandal that they put out such nonsense. Possibly the reason for doing this was to put the public off from buying masks during a time when PPI was in short supply.

In March the Government should have come clean over the shortages and explained how people could make their own basic coverings. There would then have been masses of basic masks and other type of face coverings available to the public. There are people even now sewing up masks at home and selling them for charitable causes.

They are giving a reason now. They say that it is because the 'best scientific evidence' says that wearing face masks will help prevent the spread of Covid. They also emphasise that face coverings are not at the exclusion of other measures such as social distancing and hygiene. A good containment plan needs all such measures working together. The government publication for face coverings says the following:
The reason for using face coverings

Coronavirus (COVID-19) usually spreads by droplets from coughs, sneezes and speaking. These droplets can also be picked up from surfaces, if you touch a surface and then your face without washing your hands first. This is why social distancing, regular hand hygiene, and covering coughs and sneezes is so important in controlling the spread of the virus.

The best available scientific evidence is that, when used correctly, wearing a face covering may reduce the spread of coronavirus droplets in certain circumstances, helping to protect others.

Because face coverings are mainly intended to protect others, not the wearer, from coronavirus (COVID-19) they are not a replacement for social distancing and regular hand washing. It is important to follow all the other government advice on coronavirus (COVID-19) including staying safe outside your home. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-your-own
For people like yourself who need to have the evidence through behavioural models you can find them quite easily. The following one is by the Royal Society (published on 1st June). https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/ ... 76#d1e1813

Other studies:
Spate of new research supports wearing masks to control coronavirus spread
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... us-spread/
Face Masks Against COVID-19: An Evidence Review
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... nce_Review
Mask mandates and other lockdown policies reduced the spread of COVID-19 in the US
https://voxeu.org/article/mask-mandates ... ovid-19-us