REPORT: Disappointing end to remarkable season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32541 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

REPORT: Disappointing end to remarkable season

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:48 pm

This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Re: REPORT: Disappointing end to remarkable season

Post by mdd2 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:56 pm

Maybe we can play away next season for the last game CT and win as well as staying up, would hate to repeat the results of 2010 and 2015 at home to Spurs and away at Villa
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2001 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:13 pm

Spot on report. Exactly as I saw the game. A very down beat way to end a great season

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:14 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:13 pm
Spot on report. Exactly as I saw the game. A very down beat way to end a great season
Wasn't downbeat, just disappointing. Can't be downbeat after the season we've just had.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 7571 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:43 pm

It would have been nice to win, finish 8th. Above Arsenal.
But it's just a 'shoulder shrug' disappointment for me.
We've had a great season.
Again!

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1702 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:50 pm

Fortunately the season ended yesterday-perfect timing for us, now time to re-group. Don't know if anyone saw Pope's face when the first goal went in-his body language said it all. He had at that point failed in his bid for the Golden Glove with City at home to Norwich. You could tell he had lost some of his motivation at that point. The season had ended

The run-in post lock down was unbelievable. I thought we would get around 8 points for the last 9 games but we kept grinding out the results. On a positive and constructive basis what I and maybe others learned:

-dont ever let the first team squad get down to this level again. Maybe in the history of the PL we recorded the lowest number of fit players in a squad who had first team experience
-every time someone went down badly injured my heart sunk, thinking who could slot in there from the bench
-the midfield seriously needs strengthening and we need real competition for places.In particular Cork and Brownhill need to be at their best
-not sure about Vydra who had ample time on the pitch to be more productive. I suspect in the end Jay was not on the pitch an awful lot longer in terms of minutes post lock down, and see what he produced
-desperately need a right back. I am afraid Phil lacks imagination and the ability to push forward and put in a decent cross. He is quite happy to punt it down the channels. He will be a year older and slower next season and clubs will target him. Lowton lacks the consistency and concentration and sense he is seeing his time out with us.The difference in what Taylor gives compared to Barsdley and or Lowton is immense. There are right backs out there we could afford.Sort out RB and we have one hell of a defense with Ben back
-of the shining lights-Jay has shown to me he is a brilliant all round footballer-great with his feet, head and brain. Popey has really grown in stature and the best I have seen him play. Tarkowski has become our best centre half since i started watching in 1961.Wood is one of the PL's most under-estimated strikers, and just when you think hes not been in the game, comes up with the goods. McNeil has matured -better fitness, better defending, and better possession skills. He has made some exquisit passes when moving forward from midfield.We may have yet to find his deadliest position
-finally would any of the run since January have been possible with this team without SD. I think we all know the answer
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:07 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:50 pm
Tarkowski has become our best centre half since i started watching in 1961.
Can't really disagree with anything you've said there but I wanted to highlight this one sentence about Tarkowski.

I beat you, just, with my first game in 1960, and I was talking to an old friend the other day about the best players we've seen and who would get into our all time Burnley team. Until probably the last four years I'd say I'd have picked a team almost exclusively from the 1960s but we need to look at this team now as well because there are players who are every bit as good, and I'd place Michael Keane, James Tarkowski and Ben Mee as potential candidates in defence for my all time team.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1702 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:15 pm

CT-I think I saw the tail end of what was probably our greatest team ever including Adamson., Blacklaw, Elder,Angus. Pointer, Robson, Harris etc.

It must have been some team judging from the results

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:40 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:15 pm
CT-I think I saw the tail end of what was probably our greatest team ever including Adamson., Blacklaw, Elder,Angus. Pointer, Robson, Harris etc.

It must have been some team judging from the results
Harris was a reserve when I first went, stepped up when Pilkington was sold. I feel blessed that I was able to see those great players even though I was probably too young to appreciate just how good they were.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:01 pm

Can’t look back with anything other than pride from this season.

I was worried after Villa as we were that poor. We bounced back unbelievably well a few weeks later.
We looked a real mess after the restart, not necessarily with the result, but turned it around straight away.

Lots of ups and downs but a squad to be really proud of again.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie